PDA

View Full Version : Both DD and DS complaining of itchiness at night

happymomma
02-14-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm at a loss on what to do. DD has had episodes of itchness throughout the last few months. For the past few days it's been worse. No rash that I can see but she is so itchy. I've put lots and lots of lotion on her just in case that it was dry skin. Now DS is also developing itchy skin. Last night, he was scratching so much that he had scabs in the areas that he was scratching. I've given both benedryll but I don't know the cause. I can't see anything. Nothing has been new. But I don't want to have to give them benedryll every night for the itchiness. Last night it was so bad that we had to give him an oatmeal bath at 2am. Then she woke up at 3am complaining of the itchiness. Literally it is keeping them up at night. I am at a loss about what to do. I'm so sleep deprived also. I really need to get some sleep. We all do. But I don't know what the cause of the itchiness is. Help!!

We've gotten both of them tested for allergies and they are not allergic to anything.

ETA: I don't think it's bed bugs b/c we have covers on the mattresses.

veronica
02-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Since you have already gone the allergy route, my first guess would be excema that is irritated with winter weather.

Have you changed detergents at all? Try a humidifier in their rooms too. Slather aquaphor on instead of lotion.

Other than that, maybe bedbugs? I don't know much about them except that they have become more common. If nothing is new about your routine, maybe?

DietCokeLover
02-14-2010, 09:40 PM
I was going to suggest adding a humidifier to the rooms as well.

My other thought was bedbugs, but you mentioned that already as not being a possibility.

WatchingThemGrow
02-14-2010, 09:47 PM
I'd say the humidifier, aquaphor, and a "free" detergent. I don't think that covering the mattress would actually eliminate the possibility of bedbugs. A friend from another area was telling about them and I don't think they are that easy to detect/keep out.

ETA: Not to freak you out, but I was just reading about them on Wikipedia, and it talks about scabs from scratching the bites http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedbug

JTsMom
02-14-2010, 09:54 PM
I would look more into the bedbug thing too. I don't think a cover would necessarily protect you. I think you're supposed to check behind the headboard, and all over the sheets and mattress for tiny black specks, or any tiny blood spots. Crossing my fingers for you that it isn't that, b/c I hear they are a beast to get rid of.

newg
02-14-2010, 09:56 PM
humidifier and aquaphor really help DD and DH with dry skin..........I also buy "free" detergent and dryer sheets..........
have you changed their soap at all? (shampoo or body wash) have they been spending time with someone new.....possibly who smokes or has a strong perfume or something that might be causing the itchyness??

jacksmomtobe
02-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Hopefully it's not bed bugs. I know an Exterminator and she said similiar to what the other poster said that you will see flecks of blood on the sheets and recommends her clients try putting solid sheets on their beds if they suspect bed bugs since the flecks are easier to see that way.

I have sensitive skin and once when I was in my 20s I didn't know what was going on. I was itchy all the time. The Dr asked if I had bought new shampoo, etc after much wondering I figured out it was the detergent I was using. I had washed things I didn't normally wash in the washing machine so that totally threw me off. The Dr recommended Arm & Hammer Free & Clear as that was the only one of those types of detergent out at that time and it did the trick. I was so relieved to find the cause. Now I prefer Tide Free & Clear as it cleans better than Arm & Hammer. So any changes in soap, shampoo, detergent could trigger a reaction.

Hope you figure it out!

MamaMolly
02-14-2010, 11:04 PM
I hope it is nothing more than dry skin, but have you considered having your kids checked for scabies? I have a friend who's DS (a little under 2) got them, they have no idea where. I don't want to gross you out completely either, but it might be worth ruling out.

ohiomom
02-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Have you considered a contact allergy to dust mites? This plus allergies to most detergents are my daughters' issues. Their itchiness drove ME insane at the time. Good luck figuring it out.

kep
02-15-2010, 12:42 AM
We've had bedbugs twice (darn apartment living), and what you're describing doesn't sound anything like bedbugs. BB's do not keep you up at night itching. It's fairly rare to actually see a BB, they creep out at night, and they bite they inject a "pain killer" and an anti-clotting chemical. Most people never feel them. Usually you wake up in the morning with a line of bites that swell larger and larger as the day goes on. Think half-dollar size or greater.

I have even more BB trivia I could share, but I am sure that everyone is grossed out enough. :)

MontrealMum
02-15-2010, 01:15 AM
So sorry you're going through this.

I don't remember where you are, but winter can be an especially itchy time, so a humidifier is certainly something to look into.

But I wouldn't throw out the idea of bedbugs just because you have covers on the bed. Or even dust mites with a sensitive kid...think about what you wash, how, and how often. I mean...blankets, bedspread, bedskirt!?!, curtains...etc. etc. Also, I'd consider scabies and other similar things...but I'd rule out dry skin or eczema by installing a humidifier first since the treatment regimin for some of these other things is pretty awful.

Based on your description it sounds like uncontrolled eczema or dust mites- have you seen a derm? They might have some insight. Keep in mind that Benadryl protects for 4-6 hours, so it will wear off during the night. For someone like me, that's super sensitive, that'd be a big deal. So I certainly wouldn't rule out allergies to dust mites based on the fact that you're giving Benadryl.

Kestrel
02-15-2010, 01:47 AM
Just wanted to add that a good, strong moisturizing lotion put on right as they get out of the bathtub is often more effective than putting it on later. You didn't say when you were applying. :)

jamesmom
02-15-2010, 05:48 AM
Sounds like it might be eczema. What has worked for us is bathing and washing our hands with very mild soap and cleansers (Cethaphil soap and cleanser), slathering on the Aquaphor after bathing, and running a humidifier. Good luck!

mmommy
02-15-2010, 08:24 AM
This has happened to me in various places that I've lived. For me it is an allergy, but I've never been able to pinpoint what I'm allergic to. Things that help greatly:
1. Lukewarm/cool shower or bath at end of day. Soothes the skin and also washes away whatever pollens may be on skin/hair.
2. Zyrtec daily for the season.
I've moved quite a bit, but have had these symptoms in various parts of the US over the years. Never able to diagnose, but by doing these things daily the itching disappears.

Oh, and you'll find red welts, usually in a line or cluster of 3, if it is bedbugs, so I don't think that is the problem.

SheriRae
02-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Having had experinence with bed bugs through summer camp.....bed bugs leave a small raised bump with redness and swelling with the itching. If you don't see anything on the skin it's not bed bugs.

happymomma
02-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks so much everyone! I think it's not bedbugs b/c I haven't seen any welts or marks on DD and DS. I've been really diligent about putting lotion on right after bath. For DS I've also been putting a humidifier on the nightstand. I might have to start with DD also. We've been using Costco's free and clear detergent. It's been something I've been using for the past year or so. I really can't think of anything new they've eaten or any new lotions or detergent.

The only thing with DS that I can think of is that the bathtub was just washed and he complained of really bad itchiness during bath time. But I had rinsed the bath tub before the kids used it in case of chemicals. Maybe I should just have them use showers. In addition, they aren't taking baths everyday. It's been every few days because of fear of eczema.

I was wondering if it is bad to give benedryll consistently??

SnuggleBuggles
02-15-2010, 09:47 AM
My ds is in misery if he gets a bath more than 2 times/ week in the winter because it dries out his skin so much. Lotion only helps some. So, fewer baths might help.I see that you are already doing that but maybe even less? Wouldn't hurt to try the shower.

Beth

MontrealMum
02-15-2010, 03:36 PM

You *can* give Benedryl consistently. It's an allergy medicine, and developed to be given, at the stated dosage, day in and day out. However, it's really old, and if your kids truly need an allergy medicine each and every day, there are many more choices on the market these days. Especially considering how drowsy and lethargic Benedryl makes people. Most modern medicines are non-sedating.

I won't recommend specific brands because I don't know how old your kids are, and I live in Canada, so I don't know what's OTC or not in the US. I'd check with your doctor if you think you need to go that route.

sewarsh
02-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I think it's not bedbugs b/c I haven't seen any welts or marks on DD and DS. I've been really diligent about putting lotion on right after bath. For DS I've also been putting a humidifier on the nightstand. I might have to start with DD also. We've been using Costco's free and clear detergent. It's been something I've been using for the past year or so. I really can't think of anything new they've eaten or any new lotions or detergent.

The only thing with DS that I can think of is that the bathtub was just washed and he complained of really bad itchiness during bath time. But I had rinsed the bath tub before the kids used it in case of chemicals. Maybe I should just have them use showers. In addition, they aren't taking baths everyday. It's been every few days because of fear of eczema.

we had rash in my family and dermatolgist said the best thing is to bath in Aveeno oatmeal. supposed to really help soothe.

Andi98989
02-15-2010, 03:58 PM
I had horrible eczema as a baby and my my had to give me oatmeal baths. I had such horrible itching from my stretch marks when I was pregnant that I actually took one a few times. It really did make a difference.

I've heard using some Burt's Bee's Apricot Oil in the bath water itself can help, too.