PDA

View Full Version : First Airplane Ride for 5.5 month old

jelbert005
02-14-2010, 09:49 PM
I will be taking my daughter on her first plane ride this Easter and she will be 5.5 months old. Does anyone have any advice?

SnuggleBuggles
02-14-2010, 10:42 PM
That's a great age still for trips, ime. If possible I would get her her own seat as it is much safer and makes the trip easier. Don't overpack toys because you can have fun with things like a cup and some ice. Nurse, bottle feed or do a pacifier during take off and landing to help little ears not hurt from the pressure change. If you are traveling with her seat and with another person, have someone go on 1st and get the seat all set up while baby and other person hang out at the gate till boarding is near the end so you aren't cooped up as long. Bring a complete change of clothes, extra food if you are not breastfeeding, and extra diapers, snacks for you...take what you would want to have if you got stuck on the plane longer than you are supposed to.

Beth

OKKiddo
02-15-2010, 12:09 AM
I bought the Similisan Ear Ache Relief Drops at Wal-Mart in case my kiddos ears hurt from the pressure. I remembered flying as a kid and I always got sore ears from it, so I asked my Grandma what she had always put in my ears when I would go fly and she told me about it. Worked like a charm! I forgot to put it in before the take off on the first leg of the trip, and he wouldn't nurse or suck on his pacifier, so I put the drops in. He stopped within 30 seconds and it was a peaceful happy trip. We've flown since my DS1 was a baby and now we have DS2--I've used the drops every time we've flown.

kep
02-15-2010, 12:50 AM
That's a great age still for trips, ime. If possible I would get her her own seat as it is much safer and makes the trip easier. Don't overpack toys because you can have fun with things like a cup and some ice. Nurse, bottle feed or do a pacifier during take off and landing to help little ears not hurt from the pressure change. If you are traveling with her seat and with another person, have someone go on 1st and get the seat all set up while baby and other person hang out at the gate till boarding is near the end so you aren't cooped up as long. Bring a complete change of clothes, extra food if you are not breastfeeding, and extra diapers, snacks for you...take what you would want to have if you got stuck on the plane longer than you are supposed to.

Beth

:yeahthat: That is such an easy age to travel with! And yes to everything Beth said. Enjoy it while it lasts, mama. It gets slightly more complicated when they start wanting to get down and crawl. Or when you have two or more... :loveeyes: