PDA

View Full Version : Dad needs help: Vista, BOB, something else?

BraveNewDad
02-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Greetings everyone,

I have a baby boy (DS) due in just a few months, so I'm trying to get prepared.

I've read just about every thread on the site, read the Baby Bargains book (of course) and spent countless hours in stores, on sites, etc.

About 3 weeks ago I was set on the Vista 2010. We tried it in the store along with the Bugaboo, BOB and all the other major brands and it just sit well with us overall. I'm a huge fan of the bassinet and the rear-facing feature.

We're suburbanites that love to go to parks and walk on nearby trails (paved). We would also like to jog, though nothing too aggressive. Given that we're in the suburbs we don't walk to most of our destinations.

I'd appreciate any thoughts as to whether the Vista would really be a fit for this situation. I've heard it's a bit bulky and gets cumbersome to move around all the time. I'd hate to pay that much for a Vista and then end up using an umbrella most of the time.

Thanks in advance!

wellyes
02-15-2010, 08:32 AM
You will DEFINITELY want a "premium" stroller, at least for the baby's first year. I had a Vista and I will confess that once DD turned 18 months or so we used a smaller stroller more often -- our Mac Quest -- but there's no way that kind of stroller would be appropriate for a younger baby.

If you want it, I say go for it! I think both Bobs and Vistas are very nice. The bassinet is something you'll only use for a few months, and the alternative for a stroller without one, like the Bob, would be to get a car seat adapter and just keep the baby in the carseat. When I had a newborn I didn't want to keep her in the carseat for long stretches so the bassinet was nice to have.

Vistas are relatively big & heavy so keep that in mind if your wife will be the one lifting it a lot or if you don't have a BIG trunk to put it in.

viba424
02-15-2010, 09:56 AM
My Vista stroller frame fits in my small VW trunk really well...its big in comparison but not that huge. I can still fit 2 suitcases in with it, but that is using the carseat, not the main stroller seat. That is a bit bigger, but can store on its side, and is pretty flat.

I love my Vista. However I dont jog either.

truly scrumptious
02-15-2010, 11:24 AM
We love love love our Vista. It is perfect for uneven sidewalks or long days at the mall when DS wants to sleep in it and we throw all our shopping in the storage basket!
Having said that, I would NOT use it for jogging. I think a BOB would probably be a better idea for that. The Vista can get a bit heavy, but so far we're still using it. It fits into the trunk of our sedan pretty easily, but it does take up most of the space there. If you're going to be taking it in and out of the car mostly, you may want to consider something a little smaller (we love our BJCM, too!) But the Vista is perfect for walks in the neighborhood - especially with awful sidewalks like ours.
Congratulations on your soon-to-arrive DS, dad!

GraceH
02-15-2010, 02:28 PM
I would count on picking two strollers - an AT 'long walks' stroller (BOB/Vista/etc.) and an umbrella 'car trunk' stroller (Mosaic/Si/Mac, depending on budget & desired features)

newg
02-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Not sure how much it weighs........but the bumbleride Indie would probably work for what you want.

AnnieW625
02-15-2010, 05:50 PM
We bought our Vista when DD was 2 and we really enjoy it. Prior to that our main stroller was a Maclaren Triumph (love that stroller; great all around light weight stroller). We can walk 3 miles or so with a 35lb toddler in it (although it's a little tough). We plan on using it mainly now for #2 (and we like that it also takes a stroller board for our older toddler) and I too love the reverse feature (which I didn't have before with DD). The Vista does well on grass too and on hard pack trails.

We do have friends who jog, and run and they love their Bob Revolution strollers. Some seriously could say it's their only stroller.

arivecchi
02-15-2010, 05:55 PM
I would count on picking two strollers - an AT 'long walks' stroller (BOB/Vista/etc.) and an umbrella 'car trunk' stroller (Mosaic/Si/Mac, depending on budget & desired features):yeahthat: I like 3 wheel strollers over the Vista and the Bugaboos because they fit taller/older kids. The Bob has a short seatback, so I prefer Valcos and Baby Joggers.

BraveNewDad
02-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Sounds like multiple strollers is definitely in my future. I guess I have a hard time swallowing the idea of $1k or more of strollers, but we do plan on having another and if I can get a long-term investment on all of them I'm fine with that.

I might just hold off on the BOB until the need for jogging really strikes us. We're not real big joggers anyway, so I'm sure we can work something out. It sounds like a good umbrella for those quick trips is probably the better investment in addition to the Vista.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, truly. It's been a big help. I went into this baby thing having absolutely no idea just how diverse even "basic" decisions like the stroller would be, but the fog is lifting!

bluestarfish18
02-16-2010, 08:51 AM
We started with the "all-important" Chicco travel system, then got a single Baby Trend Jogger with a fixed wheel, then got a BOB Revolution Dualie and a super cheap Babies R Us umbrella for simple errands.

As for the BOB, it has it's pros and cons like ever other stroller. It's awesome for running. The wheel can be fixed for running or left unfixed for simple strolls around the park. It's suspension is awesome for "off-roading", and it's a piece of cake to fold down and put into the back of our van. On the flip side, it's bulking as heck, heavy and a pain in the butt to steer around stores with smaller aisles (not sure how manuverable it is with just a single).

Overall, I personally would recommend splurging for a BOB only if you're serious about running with it.

wellyes
02-16-2010, 09:04 AM
I might just hold off on the BOB until the need for jogging really strikes us. We're not real big joggers anyway, so I'm sure we can work something out. It sounds like a good umbrella for those quick trips is probably the better investment in addition to the Vista.

Just keep in mind no umbrella until ~ 6 months or so - until new baby can hold up his/her head. Enjoy your Vista!

LoveBeingMrs
02-16-2010, 12:24 PM
The Vista's front wheels can be locked for light jogging. The maneuverability is amazing... I can even make one-handed turns. It is a bit bulky, so you'd probably need a lightweight stroller for quick errands and airplane traveling. The Maclaren Techno XT and XLR can both be used from birth. The XLR is a bit heavier than the XT, but it has a one-handed recline mechanism and comes with a carseat adapter. :)

AnnieW625
02-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Just keep in mind no umbrella until ~ 6 months or so - until new baby can hold up his/her head. Enjoy your Vista!

FYI: The Maclaren Triumph can be used from 3 mos. and up per the Maclaren website. Of course there are some people who believe that the Maclaren website is way too liberal in this regard, but that could be a whole other post. We bought ours when DD was 3 mos. old and pretty much used it from the get go for quick in and out trips to the drs. office, and maybe a trip to the mall. We had a jogger with a good recline and an infant insert for everything else. DD had good head control, and by 5 mos. old it was even better so we were using it all of them time by then. The Maclaren Quest can be used from birth as can the Maclaren Techno. The Volo however I believe is not recommended for use until at least 6 or 12 mos. old.

MontrealMum
02-16-2010, 12:45 PM
If you decide to go with a Maclaren as your umbrella, keep these stats in mind:
Techno: from birth
Quest and Triumph: from 3 mos.
Volo: from 6 mos
Here's the link to their website, which states those age recommendations http://www.maclarenbaby.com/us/content/view/434/88889568/lang,en/ They also have a very nice comparison feature if you're trying to decide between two different Macs.
GL!

wellyes
02-16-2010, 01:03 PM
FYI: The Maclaren Triumph can be used from 3 mos. and up per the Maclaren website. Of course there are some people who believe that the Maclaren website is way too liberal in this regard, but that could be a whole other post. We bought ours when DD was 3 mos. old and pretty much used it from the get go for quick in and out trips to the drs. office, and maybe a trip to the mall. We had a jogger with a good recline and an infant insert for everything else. DD had good head control, and by 5 mos. old it was even better so we were using it all of them time by then. The Maclaren Quest can be used from birth as can the Maclaren Techno. The Volo however I believe is not recommended for use until at least 6 or 12 mos. old.

Oh, you're right -- I guess I forgot that Macs are umbrella strollers LOL. When I think "umbrella stroller" I think the $25-$50 ones. But, yes, Macs are awesome for younger babies.

PeppyParents
02-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Sounds like multiple strollers is definitely in my future. I guess I have a hard time swallowing the idea of $1k or more of strollers, but we do plan on having another and if I can get a long-term investment on all of them I'm fine with that.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, truly. It's been a big help. I went into this baby thing having absolutely no idea just how diverse even "basic" decisions like the stroller would be, but the fog is lifting!

Hi,

I agree that the Vista would be a great choice as your overall daily stroller based upon the lifestyle you described.

Then if you get a deep reclining umbrella stroller like Maclaren Triumph or UPPAbaby G-Luxe, you can use them from 3 months of age, and that's great for travel as well as keeping in the car for those quickie errands. Maybe you can find a prior model year and save a few bucks on the umbrella stroller.

If you enjoy taking long walks, you do NEED a full-size stroller with the larger rubbery wheels like the Vista has (or Bugaboo, or BOB, etc) because you don't want the stroller to slow you down... and generally they have the more comfortable seats for your baby.

The Vista would be fine for swift walking, but not jogging.

If you do find yourself wanting to jog, you can always get a used jogger off your local craigslist.

But you're saying that you're unsure about jogging, so don't even buy for that right now.

It seems like with the umbrella + Vista (or similar), you're at $800 to $900 on that combination, and you should really be set for the next 2 1/2 to 3 years!

Plus, investing in a premium stroller also means that it will have resell value, if you don't have more kids.

arivecchi
02-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Also, just as an FYI, it is not recommended that one jog with a baby until they are at least 12 months old.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=348699

duckiechiu
02-16-2010, 02:37 PM
you can always just get "snap and go" for now and decide on the expensive strollers later..... the rationale for me was that since i never had a baby before it was unclear to me what i would like and dont like. so instead of spending several hundred dollars on something i dont know if i would like to use, i opt for the "snap and go", and it worked for us. granted i dont jog at all and the places i go to are mostly smooth surfaces..... but it's really light weight and easy to put in the trunk....

having said that, since my daughter is now 8 months old we had to get another stroller and we actually got two, the 2010 uppababy vista (for everyday) and the baby jogger city mini for traveling purposes. I must say that i'm loving the vista. The seat is high up (as high as the snap and go) so when we go to resturant the baby stays in the stroller can be at our eye level, and the seat is reversible so i can have her face me (dont think i'm ready to have her face the world yet)... the only complaint (more for my hubby cuz the poor guy does it) is that it's considerably a lot heavier than the snap and go.... so it's work when he lifting and puts it in the trunk.... another plus for the vista is that the optional rumble seat if/when we do have another kid.....

the city mini seems nice also..... i love the one hand fold and that's the main reason why we got it too, so when i take my daughter back to CA by myself this march i wont have to wrestle with it at all.... but i would say vista is a better stroller..... but of course you pay for it....

so the bottom line i guess is..... if you're still not completely sure as to what you want, just get a snap and go for the moment.... it's about 50-60 bucks and it'll last you a good 6-8 months depending on the height/weight of your kid, and you're not pressured into buying a multi-hunderd dollar stroller you dont use later.....

good luck.... :wink2:

wellyes
02-16-2010, 02:53 PM
so the bottom line i guess is..... if you're still not completely sure as to what you want, just get a snap and go for the moment....

This is good advice. I had a Vista from day 1 but a snap and go was the one I used 80& of the time since it was so easy to pop in & out of the trunk, and because when DD was sleeping we didn't want to have to transfer her to the Vista.

I don't like the Snap & Go for neighborhood walks, but they're a great-to-have for the first several months. It's the newborn equivalent of an umbrella stroller. And there are always tons on Craigslist cheap - it is a fine item to buy used since no part of the baby touches the actual stroller.

BraveNewDad
02-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks again all.

Good point about not being able to jog immediately anyway. I didn't think it was as long as 12 months, but that makes sense and takes away some of the decision-making process.

So, in the end I think I'm now settled on the Vista (keep going back to it) and something lightweight. I like the Snap 'n Go concept, and we were going to go that route but to me the main value prop of the Vista was the ability to use it from newborn and on. I really like the idea of a bassinet instead of using the car seat for the newborn. Whether that has a tangible difference when it's all said and done, I'm not sure.

Thanks again.