PDA

View Full Version : Quick help plz-reflux baby

c&j04
02-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Headed to DF's house to hold 3 wk old baby so she can shower and get fresh air which apparently hasn't been happening much as reflux meds aren't helping. DF loves diet coke but is this a major no-no?? Will take her some if not adding insult to injury.

Melbel
02-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Caffeine can flair up reflux. :( I suggest having your DF explore www.infantreflux.org and http://www.marci-kids.com/index.html for great information/advice on infant reflux. DD2 has severe reflux, but the Zegerid using the marci kids dosage chart helps to control her symptoms.

Nooknookmom
02-15-2010, 04:46 PM
The links that PP posted are ***awesome***, esp infantreflux.org. I think I survived 18 months of reflux only b/c of that site.

What meds is baby on? If it's Zantac, forget it. Won't help. Probably needs a PPI (like Prevacid or similar). Even w/ PPI's, the doseage must be adjusted to fit each baby, so they may need to have the doseage upped.

Marci-kids also had a dosage for Mylanta Cherry Supreme-I would use it in between DD's Prevacid and it helped quite a bit.

I SO feel for your friend, I was a shell of my former self while trying to care for DD and figure out how to help her.

Also, your friends DB could be allergic to Milk/Soy and that can cause more reflux issues. I think more so than a soda (I drank soda after my TED and found no difference).

Let us know if you need anything else!!!

MolieMuts
02-15-2010, 06:00 PM
DS2 was about 3 wks when we took him to the doctor for reflux. He gave us an RX for Prevacid dissolve tabs. It took almost a week for it to work completely, but it eventually did. He wasn't on it for long and it went away for good. We had an Amby bed to keep his head elevated, but I think some people have had safety issues with those. I also used the Fisher Price Soothing Motions Glider which kept his head elevated and he slept in quite well.

BabyMine
02-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Zegerid and Mylanta were our salvation. Those 2 sites were a godsend. We were lucky that we had a Ped and a GI that were open with trying Zegerid and were willing to work with us.

Nooknookmom
02-16-2010, 12:20 AM
Wanted to add that if they are doing a bottle feeding - try Dr. Brown's wide mouth (skinny ones did nothing for us). I gave DD 1 bottle of expressed milk a day and tried *literally* every bottle on the market at the time.

Dr. Brown's helped tremendously!!! HTH

kbud
02-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Caffeine can flair up reflux. :( I suggest having your DF explore www.infantreflux.org and http://www.marci-kids.com/index.html for great information/advice on infant reflux. DD2 has severe reflux, but the Zegerid using the marci kids dosage chart helps to control her symptoms.

I agree these sites are wonderful. DD#1 had severe silent reflux and these sites where my "bible" and support.

Reflux meds can take a few weeks to help and usually the first medications given are often not PPI and don't do anything for true reflux babies.

TwoBees
02-16-2010, 10:36 AM
What meds is baby on? If it's Zantac, forget it. Won't help.

I'm curious about this. Can you explain? DD is on Zantac and it helps a lot. I realize every baby is different but I am interested in the reasoning behind this.

sunriseiz
02-16-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm curious about this. Can you explain? DD is on Zantac and it helps a lot. I realize every baby is different but I am interested in the reasoning behind this.

zantac worked for us too, but every baby is different. you are a sweet friend to help out! what a difference that makes!!!

jse107
02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
From my experience, Zantac works for kids who don't have severe reflux issues or any other issues, such as MSPI to complicate things. Additionally, Zantac is extremely weight-sensitive and needs to be adjusted frequently.

Both my kids were on Prevacid and Bethanechol (for motility). Also did hypo-allergenic formulas (DS with Nutramigen and DD with Neocate) for both kids. Be sure that your friend keeps a food diary to try to figure out if there are any food triggers--there often are for GERDlings.

Tell your friend to check out the websites--they will be a lifeline and help her advocate for the baby! Also, suggest she make an appt. with a ped. GI.

ray7694
02-16-2010, 01:13 PM
If none of the meds start working might be another problem. We went from reflux, colic, and ended with needing to give Hypoallegnic formula. Within a day my dd was so much better.

hellbennt
02-16-2010, 08:04 PM
thanks everyone for posting the link to infantreflux.org:22:

hope to see your friend there (see my sig):)

about zantac: it's very weight sensitive and many find that the dose needs to be increased w/ every little weight increase
& many seem to plateau on it and then 'move on' to a PPI
also: I have found that peds rarely rx zantac at a 'proper' dose...
more from my sig...

c&j04
02-16-2010, 09:05 PM
I knew you all would help!!! I'll be spending the afternoon there tomorrow and will pass on any info it seems like she wants to hear :)