PDA

View Full Version : How far over the shoulders can the straps be?

swampnurse
02-15-2010, 08:36 PM
This is a follow up to my thread on booster vs incorrectly installed car seat..

I am sad to give up my Wizards because they can easily be adjusted for whichever kid happens to go with my mom. She never takes both kids at the same time which is another issue altogether. :)

I was also sad to see that my son is too tall for the Radians that we have. He will have to stick with the Frontier or Safeguard. I'm now wondering if i can buy a new Frontier and have them both fit in it without taking it in and out to adjust the strap height. Then they could share it. We have a Frontier in our other truck that i plan to try the 3 y/o in when daddy gets home tonight.

Exactly how far above the shoulders can the straps be when FF? I realized the cover on the RN was pulling the straps down so now I am sure to look at where the strap holes in the shells are in relation to their shoulders.

I'm trying not to "fear the booster". :)

Joolsplus2
02-15-2010, 08:40 PM
;)

I wouldn't worry if they are a couple notches too high (you're sure your 5 yo fits in the Frontier? As long as you're checking fit, well, it's not much taller than the WZ or RN...).

swampnurse
02-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Just came in from checking all the seats. i'm beat! :)

The Frontier is fine for him (as is the Safeguard in it's highest position). And i just discovered that if i loosen the top tether on the Frontier a bit i can reach behind the seat, grab the latch that raises or lowers the straps/headrest, raise or lower it and then tighten the tether back up. That way it should be fine for both kids without removing the whole seat. Not as easy as turning a dial on the WZ but easier than taking the seat completely out every time.

Is this too good to be true? If not, I'm buying another Frontier for my mom's car and a booster for the occasional trip with the inlaws and i'll be set.

BTW, what's with the Frontier 85? Isn't it already 80?

jjordan
02-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Just came in from checking all the seats. i'm beat! :)

The Frontier is fine for him (as is the Safeguard in it's highest position). And i just discovered that if i loosen the top tether on the Frontier a bit i can reach behind the seat, grab the latch that raises or lowers the straps/headrest, raise or lower it and then tighten the tether back up. That way it should be fine for both kids without removing the whole seat. Not as easy as turning a dial on the WZ but easier than taking the seat completely out every time.

Is this too good to be true? If not, I'm buying another Frontier for my mom's car and a booster for the occasional trip with the inlaws and i'll be set.

BTW, what's with the Frontier 85? Isn't it already 80?

Rumor has it that the frontier 85 will have other differences from the original frontier, not just a higher weight capacity. For example - maybe higher top harness slots, maybe an easier install... I don't think we'll know for sure until people start getting them and report back. Here (http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=113999) is a thread about it on car-seat.org.

swampnurse
02-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the link. I will probably wait until they are out and order one sight unseen and hope for the best.

Does anyone know which retailers will be getting them first?

arivecchi
02-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Sorry to hijack OP, how do I adjust the harness on the Frontier? I raised it a little bit too much and now cannot get it back down. I can dig the manual from under the car seat cover but don't know when I will have time to do that. TIA!

HIU8
02-16-2010, 12:21 PM
That is exactly what I am doing for DS. I found them for pre-order from pishposhbaby.com. However, when I called they said their site was wrong. They told me they are no longer carrying any Britax carseats at all. I just checked and they have not removed it from their website yet though.

I also want to know if anyone knows the retailer who will be getting them first. I also have read that they will be shipped March 29 and I read that they will be shipped earlier than that (although I cannot remember where I read that).

Joolsplus2
02-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hijack OP, how do I adjust the harness on the Frontier? I raised it a little bit too much and now cannot get it back down. I can dig the manual from under the car seat cover but don't know when I will have time to do that. TIA!

You just pull the handle on the back and slide it back down. It's a lot easier if the seat's uninstalled (I just tried it, it's sitting in my living room, lol) and you can see the panel move and the little tabs fit in the slots when it's the right height, though.

arivecchi
02-16-2010, 12:40 PM
You just pull the handle on the back and slide it back down. It's a lot easier if the seat's uninstalled (I just tried it, it's sitting in my living room, lol) and you can see the panel move and the little tabs fit in the slots when it's the right height, though. Thanks Jools. Bummer. I did not want to have to remove it from the car. I cannot believe how tall DS1 is already!

swampnurse
02-16-2010, 01:09 PM
I haven't had to remove it from the car. I just loosen the tether, put the seat away from the seat back a bit and reach back for the lever. Then i move it up or down for whichever kid and tighten the tether back up. Try that.

If anyone knows when i can pre-order, please let me know!

arivecchi
02-16-2010, 01:23 PM
I haven't had to remove it from the car. I just loosen the tether, put the seat away from the seat back a bit and reach back for the lever. Then i move it up or down for whichever kid and tighten the tether back up. Try that.

If anyone knows when i can pre-order, please let me know! Great tip! Thanks!

swampnurse
02-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Let me know if the tip works for you. Just so I know i'm not doing something wrong. :)

I hope someone will post here as soon as they find somewhere to pre-order the Frontier 85 and/or finds out what the new features are.

HIU8
02-16-2010, 09:03 PM
I read a post on car-seat.org that there should be information about the seat coming out this week or next.

swampnurse
02-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Just to be sure...everyone thinks the Frontier makes a decent booster too, right?

This would be good to know since i already own one and am now considering buying another.

Joolsplus2
02-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Oh, definitely. It fits my 12 year old, 10 year old, and 4 year old perfectly, shoulderbelt in the middle of the shoulder, lapbelt low on the thighs. It even fit my 4 yo fine when she was 3 (though it has a 40 pound minimum booster limit and she was more like 34 at that point, lol)...it's kind of amazing how well it fits such a huge range of kids so perfectly :)

arivecchi
02-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Let me know if the tip works for you. Just so I know i'm not doing something wrong. :)

I hope someone will post here as soon as they find somewhere to pre-order the Frontier 85 and/or finds out what the new features are. I could not do it! My Frontier was rock solid in my backseat and I could not get my hand behind the seat. I had to undo the LATCH straps in order to loosen the top tether. It was easy to adjust though once it was out. Bravo Britax! :bighand:

Joolsplus2
02-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I was thinking you had taller seatbacks and it wouldn't be possible... At least it's easy enough to install and uninstall with LATCH :)

arivecchi
02-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I was thinking you had taller seatbacks and it wouldn't be possible... At least it's easy enough to install and uninstall with LATCH :) Yeah, I'm a pro by now. :)