PDA

View Full Version : Home Repair Question: Who to call?

Indianamom2
02-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Okay, the quick question, then some background. Today I discovered that we have a window that is leaking (second floor, our bedroom). We actually have the brand new window...so who do we call to get it fixed?

Now the backstory....Our house was 11 years old when we bought it. About 3 weeks after we moved in, a package appeared at our door. It had the previous owner's name on it, so we called him and told him it was there. He informed us that it was actually ours. It was a replacement window that he had ordered because one of the windows in our bedroom had something rotten on it (I don't remember exactly). We checked out the window, but never saw anything that looked wrong, and eventually we just forgot about it.

Fast forward almost 6 years (yes....we're observant) and while I was cleaning, I noticed that a blanket was wet. When I pulled the piece of furniture from in front of the window...the blind and sheer had small dots of mold as did the window frame. Obviously, something was leaking. It wasn't a large amount of mold, and although the wall had a few drips, I didn't see any mold at all on it. I'm thinking it almost had to be a recent thing, otherwise there would have been much more mold.

So since we already have the window, who do we call to install it? Just a general contractor? Would an actual window company be better? If I can't see any mold on the wall, are we okay, or do I need to do something about that? Obviously, we'll clean up or replace the trim around the bottom of the window and throw out the blinds/sheers (not worth saving anyhow).

Thanks.

deannanb
02-15-2010, 11:42 PM
call the company who sent the replacement window.
ask them for the name of a certified window replacer (?)

I would spray the area with a bleach water solution to kill the mold.

good luck!