PDA

View Full Version : I need a steam vac *and* a cordless broom - is there something that can do both?

wellyes
02-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I've been using the Bona Hardwood Floor Mop on my tile kitchen - the one where you pull the trigger and cleanser shoots out. It worked GREAT for oh, about 3 months. Then broke. I desperately need a replacement since my floors get yucky constantly in winter. I'm thinking a steam mop would be best. I really need something that sanitizes, gets out yogurt spills & wintery gunk, and doesn't require me to bend over.

I've also been in need of some kind of cordless broom/vac for cleaning under highchairs for a while. Something quick & portable.

I don't want to buy two gizmos (DH is convinced I have "early nesting syndrome" & have been spending too much $$). Is there one device that can do both????

TwoBees
02-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Maybe the Shark? I don't have any personal experience, I just seem to recall something from the infomercials.

Also, I think there is a new Dyson or something that can do both, let me see if I can find the info.

ETA: It was a Hoover I was thinking of, but it is not cordless.

Jenny_A
02-16-2010, 11:41 AM
I love my Shark steam mop, but have not seen a combo. Let me know if you find one!

Piglet
02-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I am a HUGE fan of the old-fashioned broom and dustpan. I sweep all the time and never have to replace the broom, batteries, parts, cloths, etc. I have an angle broom for better reach and I also have a little dustpan and broom set for the quick jobs.

wellyes
02-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Hey Twobees, could you like to the Hoover you were thinking of? Cordless isn't the important part, I just want something versatile enough to either suction or steam / wet mop.

I am a HUGE fan of the old-fashioned broom and dustpan. I sweep all the time and never have to replace the broom, batteries, parts, cloths, etc. I have an angle broom for better reach and I also have a little dustpan and broom set for the quick jobs.

Yeah, you're right, but - the bending down 6x per day with the dustpan is starting to get to to me. Plus I do find it easier to clean vacuum parts than to wash a broom that's well-used and getting gnarly.

SnuggleBuggles
02-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Get a Roomba to take care of the sweeping. It works well on hard floor surfaces. I don't know if the Scooba sucks and cleans or just cleans. There's a thread about them on the Around the House page.

Beth

edurnemk
02-16-2010, 02:34 PM
I got the Eureka steam mop and LOVE it, I got because of recommendations on this board. My mom has the Shark steam mop but it's not as good. It also breaks easily and doesn't sanitize since the steam it generates is not as hot.

I don't know of any combination steam mop - vac. I have both and it works great for me, but our Shark sweeper needs recharging more often now. Keep in mind that with anything cordless you will get less battery time as time goes by.

wellyes
02-16-2010, 02:56 PM
This one? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001LYFBHG/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance I was just looking at that on Amazon, great timing. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet, $65 was less than I expected to spend on a steam mop anyway.

TwoBees
02-16-2010, 03:18 PM
I think it is this one. I don't actually have it, I just recall seeing a commercial or infomercial about it, and google is my friend. :) GL!

http://www.hoover.com/product.aspx?model=H3044&ds=false

ETA: After reading the description again, I'm not sure that it is actually a STEAM cleaner, just a cleaner.

Green22
02-17-2010, 11:33 AM
This post is very helpful, I am in the same situation. I am tired of bringing out my huge dyson to vacuum up the small kitchen area, and I feel like the broom never actually gets all the dirt up. I would also like to get a hand-held dust buster type thing for quick easy clean ups once my little one is here, but I don't want to spend a lot because I feel guilty having the great dyson and not just using it. :shake:

I have not found a dirt-devil type option yet, though my mom's friend recommended the Dirt Devil Kone and she's got 2 kids and keeps an immaculate house (somehow). http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Devil-0213PLM-Cordless-Vacuum/dp/B000GHIU9U/ref=pd_sbs_k_5

I spent some time reading the reviews on amazon and I think I might get the eureka steam cleaner - this was something I knew I wanted to get because I'm trying to eliminate using household cleaners, but I'd been slow to do any research b/c again - not wanting to spend a ton of money, etc. But this is a good price! Thanks for the link and the recs!!!

Semi-related note: Does anyone have a steam cleaner that does hardwood AND carpet? We currently have carpet and linoleum and I can see how the carpet has become dirty over the past year.

honeybefly
02-17-2010, 12:15 PM
I haven't seen one that does both, but my "regimen" consists of Roomba & Shark Steam Pocket Mop. Both are available at Costco. I program the Roomba to pick up all the bits and pieces while I'm asleep and then I mop everything down afterward.