PDA

View Full Version : Lovey for night weaning?

MommyofAmaya
02-16-2010, 11:08 AM
We are planning to try to night wean Sebastian very soon. He hasn't really developed a lovey bond with any of his existing soft toys/blankets etc. Although he will be with his dad during that difficult experience, I was hoping to introduce a lovey to give him some extra snuggle time. Has anybody else intentionally introduced a lovey successfully? What did you use?

I am considering:
Pillow Pet
Cloud B aromatherapy pillow pet
One of the Cloud B sleeping aids (giraffe or sheep)

Any other ideas?

Bella's Mommy
02-18-2010, 03:59 PM
We actually had to hire a sleep expert with our oldest (nothing worked and we were desperate) and the first thing she recommended was a lovey. So, we ended up getting a Gund - we opted for a small (~ 8 inches), very soft lamb with soft velvet like ears. The body was textured slightly (almost curly) but very soft. The eyes and nose were "faux" just sewn thread so it wasn't a choking hazard. It worked like magic the first night. She recommended that we take it with us everywhere the first week (car, restaurants, shopping, etc)and then to bed for naps and at night. That "lambie" has been washed so many times I cannot tell you. But it is still going strong after 7 years and it still "sleeps" in our son's bed (although it doesn't get much attention these days). If your child has a favorite animal (dog, bear, monkey, etc) that may be a place to start. And be sure to buy something that is small enough for your child to hug/carry and be certain it is washable. Good luck!

SnuggleBuggles
02-18-2010, 04:02 PM
My hair was ds1's lovey when he was weaning. One night I put his hand on his head and he started twirling his own hair. That was that. :) Both boys really liked having sippy cups of water in their crib with them.

Beth

DrSally
02-18-2010, 04:05 PM
I think it really depends on what he takes a shine to. You could introduce some things and see how it goes. Also, adding another element to the bedtime routine in place of nursing--extra rocking/cuddling, an extra story, a cup of water, etc.--seems to help.

KpbS
02-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Just make sure whichever you/he choose/s that you buy several of them. Loveys can be nearly impossible to replace! DN has several of these http://www.angeldear.net/cuddle/blankies_cuddle.php They are soft, very cuddly, and affordable.

GL

MommyofAmaya
02-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Just make sure whichever you/he choose/s that you buy several of them. Loveys can be nearly impossible to replace! DN has several of these http://www.angeldear.net/cuddle/blankies_cuddle.php They are soft, very cuddly, and affordable.

GL

Those are cute. I will put those on the list. We have considered these these Hot Hugs warming aromatherapy animals but I think they have been discontinued.. which will make it ***tch to replace if when and if the time comes.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=hot+hugs&x=0&y=0

I forgot to mention that we co-sleep. We plan to use the Dr. Jay Gordon method for night weaning, but I don't think a lovey would hurt with the transition.

MommyofAmaya
02-20-2010, 04:57 PM
My hair was ds1's lovey when he was weaning. One night I put his hand on his head and he started twirling his own hair. That was that. :) Both boys really liked having sippy cups of water in their crib with them.

Beth

Cute! Unfortunately, the bbs are loveys right now. He likes to sleep with his hand between them. I can't even roll over during the night or he FREAKS.

goldenpig
02-20-2010, 05:50 PM
My daughter's lovey is one of the Jellycat "Bashful" animals. They're so soft, the perfect size, and she loves to hold it by the arms. I bought about 6 or 7 (may be overkill but I really wanted to avoid the trauma of the lost lovey!) We have about 4 in use so there's always one handy somewhere and we don't have to waste time searching upstairs/downstairs/in the car, and she doesn't get too attached to the one smelly dirty one (I hand wash them once in a while). This Christmas she also got a small Pillow Pet and wants to sleep with it every night too. She also gets a sippy cup of water in her crib.

MommyofAmaya
03-06-2010, 06:56 PM
My daughter's lovey is one of the Jellycat "Bashful" animals. They're so soft, the perfect size, and she loves to hold it by the arms. I bought about 6 or 7 (may be overkill but I really wanted to avoid the trauma of the lost lovey!) We have about 4 in use so there's always one handy somewhere and we don't have to waste time searching upstairs/downstairs/in the car, and she doesn't get too attached to the one smelly dirty one (I hand wash them once in a while). This Christmas she also got a small Pillow Pet and wants to sleep with it every night too. She also gets a sippy cup of water in her crib.

I missed this when you posted. I just encountered a Jellycat at a friends house and loved it. I searched the web and decided to get a Jellycat truffle dog b/c they spread out like Pillow Pets. I had one in my cart this morning before we went to a local fancy grocery store. I couldn't believe it when they had an Easter display with all different types of Jellycats. They didn't have the one I had decided on, and Sebastian was immediately drawn towards the "Bashful" mutt. Sooo soft and sweet. I love it. I hope his affection continues. Thanks for the recommendation.

goldenpig
03-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Sebastian was immediately drawn towards the "Bashful" mutt. Sooo soft and sweet. I love it. I hope his affection continues. Thanks for the recommendation.

Great, hope he likes it! I just bought Bashful Mutt for DS2 (due any day now!), to go along with DD1's Bashful Kitty. So adorable.