PDA

View Full Version : Radian 80 vs. XTSL

Laura-1stTimeMom
02-16-2010, 11:14 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on if the XTSL was THAT much better for the $30 extra dollars over the 80. I know it has the headrest but besides that, is it worth it?

I want a safe car seat that is going to last for a long time. I bought the snugride 32 hoping it would get us to a year - but my son has outgrown it (the harness straps are WAY too tight on my stocky guy) in just under 6 months. He's already 20 lbs and 28 inches!

I haven't been able to score any of the good deals with price matching and using codes with the Radian so I would be spending more than I want but ....I really feel like this carseat is the way to go, I just can't decide if I should just suck up the nearly $300 price tag (ouch!)

HIU8
02-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Did you lengthen the straps all the way? If you turn the carseat over you can readjust the length of the straps. There are two loops for the shoulder and leg straps. If you put the straps on the last loop on the shoulder and leg you can get some more length from the straps. I know I had to do this when DD was about 9 months old b/c the straps on the lower setting had become to tight to get around her easily.

truly scrumptious
02-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Here are some threads from car-seat.org with deals on the Radians -

http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=111526&highlight=radian

http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=116244&highlight=radian

Also, babycatalog.com frequently has 20% off which diapers.com will pricematch (i have done this.)

You don't need to go to elaborate lengths, but if you can easily save 20%, why not!
GL.

o_mom
02-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Make sure you have let the straps all the way out on your infant seat. There are two sets of loops on the shoulder straps AND two sets where the hip straps attach. As long as he has at least an inch of hard shell above his head, he should have plenty of time left in it.

ETA: The manual is here (http://download.gracobaby.com/ProductInstructionManuals/PD100628A.pdf). p22-23 has information on how to lengthen the straps

Laura-1stTimeMom
02-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the tip about the straps, I'll have my husband check that now because at least that would keep us using the seat for a while longer (even though there is no way I can actually carry him around now! LOL)

I tried getting diapers.com to price match both albeebaby (carseat was out of stock) and babycarseat.com 20% off CARSEAT20 code (Sunshine Kids carseats are excluded!)

Do the seats ever go on sale lower than $269 for the XTSL?

arivecchi
02-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I think $30 dollars for head protection is a great deal. Also, my kids love the wings for sleeping (they use them like pillows). Head protection will be important once your DC is front facing as it will protect them a little more against head excursions. I ordered both the 80SL and the XTSL and kept the XTSL. HTH.

Laura-1stTimeMom
02-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Thank you all!!! You just saved me from having to rush into a car seat purchase! My husband was able to make the straps longer!

Now I'll have time to really look for a good deal and feel comfortable getting the XTSL.

IzzeMama
02-17-2010, 06:58 PM
We were frustrated with babycarseats.com advertised "20% off" which didn't indicate only a few items were included... so got very excited about a good deal on the XTSL (or the Boulevard) only to learn it wasn't so.

BUT, I did find the XTSL on another site and since we have twins and need to buy two, this is saving us a lot of $. You can get the XTSL for about $240 total, no shipping or tax (depending where you live). I"ll post the link below, you need to enter SUN20 at checkout. Their original price of $299 is higher than other sites, but with $60 off it ends up being less than all the sites claiming $269 is a good deal.

www.babyviva.com

(remember SUN20 at checkout. Not sure when it expires so we are getting ours now)