PDA

View Full Version : Land of Nod activity table WWYD?

ahisma
02-16-2010, 11:18 AM
We've had the Land of Nod activity table for a few weeks, this one: http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=149&f=664

I love it in concept, but it's not holding up at all. Most of our toys are wood and they're denting the table horribly. We tested it at playgroup to see how hard it was to dent and it was pretty shocking, the dents happen just by "walking" the wood animals on it. They're not being rough with it, no hammering or true banging. They play the same way, with the same toys on wood tables at MIL's house and the cottage and this doesn't happen.

The real problem isn't just the dents (I didn't expect it to stay pristine or anything), but the fact that it's denting through the finish, so you can see the unfinished wood in most of the dents.

I called Land of Nod and they were really nice and insisted on sending out a replacement. But, I just don't see the point. How will the new one hold up any better? They told me that it should indeed hold up better and that it should be an "heirloom" piece that will hold up for decades. I don't get it...it's well made, but the wood is so soft that it's a joke.

I guess our options are keeping it and accepting that a $400 table is going to look like crap in our living room after 3 months, returning it and trying the Pottery Barn one, or scrapping the whole idea and letting the toys overtake the living room again. We've talked about covering it with something, but don't really dig the idea of plexi-glass and don't know what else we could use that we wouldn't have to adhere to the table. The point was to have something that looked nice in the living room and that's just not happening.

Does anyone have the Pottery Barn one? Or, something else that is holding up well? What would you do?

sste
02-16-2010, 03:15 PM
I have the same table in honey and no dents through the finish. Some small dents and scratches but our son really pounds things into that table - - we are pleased it doesn't look much worse.

If you don't already have it, try the honey color.

KrystalS
02-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Does anyone have the Pottery Barn one? Or, something else that is holding up well? What would you do?

I have a PB activity table. I don't think they sell the particular model that I have, it was a floor model they were clearancing so I got a great deal. It looks very similar to the table on their site though. It has held up very well, and its black so every little scratch shows up. It is definitely solid wood, very heavy.
I have heard great things about the Land of Nod tables though so you might take the replacement and just see what happens. I really like that their tables can be made taller as the kids grow.

ett
02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
I would take the replacement and then if the same problems still occur, I would call them for a refund.

reneed
02-16-2010, 09:55 PM
I have the land of Nod table in the darker color - I think it's espresso (looks cherry) and it is a total mess. There are dents and scratches all over it. I did call Land of Nod and they sent a replacement but never asked for the original back. I put a Thomas Train mat on the top of it and stored the new one until he is a bit older.

C99
02-19-2010, 06:47 AM
I have the PBK Schoolhouse table in a dark finish and after 2 years of use, it's pretty beat up with lots of dings, polish coming off where my husband scraped oatmeal off, etc. I looked at the LoN table at the time and decided against it because the rubbed-veneer edging was coming off on the floor model in the store.

Jenn27
02-19-2010, 02:49 PM
That's a shame bc it looks like a really nice table. Good to know...