PDA

View Full Version : So how would you feel if

zephyr
02-16-2010, 07:46 PM
you found out two people who you *thought* were close friends at work never told you they were pregnant? I'm a little shocked to say the least, and hurt. There are 4 people pregnant at my workplace right now and 2 of these I considered to be close friends. Such as, we go out to lunch with our kiddos and have playdates. Both women are due within a couple weeks of each other and are about 5 months along. I only heard the news from other coworkers and neither one of them ever came up to me themself to tell me the news. BTW, some coworkers told me that they have known for at least 3-4 weeks and I just recently found out. Should I mention anything to them? Right now I'm at a stage where I don't even want to talk to either of them, but maybe I'm overreacting. And it's not like they're not showing, because it's *very* obvious that both are pregnant. Sorry about the rambling, I'm just a little sad. I guess I'm not as close to these 2 friends as I thought.

arivecchi
02-16-2010, 07:49 PM
I keep the news to myself until I see the person and it is incredibly obvious because of my huge belly. I am just very private about that. I would not be offended. I definitely do not go out of my way to tell people, even if they are good friends. Heck, I did not even tell my family until I was about 5 months along. :)

wellyes
02-16-2010, 07:52 PM
I am nearly 5 months along and I've only told a handful of people. It's kinda weird to bring up, I don't like to talk about myself that way (I like day-to-day talk not big announcements). Plus just feel like.... once you "come out", it's all anyone wants to talk to you about. I'm kind of enjoying my last few weeks of talking about regular people stuff. The people I've told, it's been because it's come up in conversation..... like "do you have summer vacation plans?" etc.

elektra
02-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Without really knowing all the details, I would try not to read too much into it. Telling about a pregnancy is such a personal thing. Maybe they didn't want to tell anyone but one person found out who told someone else..... You know how it can be.
Hugs to you though. It sucks to feel left out. I am really sensitive to that kind of thing too.

cvanbrunt
02-16-2010, 08:00 PM
I only told the other members of my department at work because I wasn't going to be able teach the next semester and we were scheduling classes for the next semester. I didn't tell most people. Just family and few friends. I wouldn't take offense. Some folks just don't announce those kinds of personal things.

zephyr
02-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks ladies, I kinda needed some other people's point of view. It's just the fact that these people *did* tell other coworkers the news and chose not to tell me. I was like the last to know. But I do know that if I was pregnant I would go to my closest friends at work and share that with them, for sure. I am being too sensitive I guess.

BabyMine
02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Do you think maybe they thought they told you?

motherofone
02-17-2010, 01:41 AM
My guess would be that they assumed you heard it through the grapevine. Back when I was working and got pregnant, I only let a couple of people know yet somehow it became common knowledge instantly.

Andi98989
02-17-2010, 07:31 AM
For one side of DH's family, we let his mom (MIL) call her parents and tell them we were pregnant, and then DH's grandma could tell the aunts/uncles, etc... Fast forward 2 months .... By this point I'm 20+ weeks pregnant and starting to show. We show up at an open house for DH's cousin. Somehow that aunt, uncle and cousins didn't know I was pregnant!!! They found out when we were showing ultrasound pictures to DH's grandparents. Somehow grandma had only told 2 of the 3 sets of aunts/uncles.

We told them we were due in mid-October and if they hadn't heard anything about the baby by Halloween to call us. :D

mommy111
02-17-2010, 01:48 PM
With my first pregnancy, I 'told' people. With the second, I just told people if it came up somehow (as in, why are you puking in the bathroom ever AM, Ady? :ROTFLMAO:). Since these friends are already moms, I would assume the 'telling' was merely that it came up in conversation and not read too much into it.

TwinFoxes
02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
I only told a few people at work. There were several good work friends I didn't tell. I don't know why, it's just kind of weird to announce it I guess. Plus I was a journalist, it took about 1 day for the news to get out and make its way around the building, and across the country to our HQ! Don't take it personally...there were a couple of people I consider good friends I didn't tell, including the person who ended up being our very first non-family babysitter (on DH's and my anniversary). I kind of liked having it get around on its own without me having to announce it.

jal
02-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks ladies, I kinda needed some other people's point of view. It's just the fact that these people *did* tell other coworkers the news and chose not to tell me. I was like the last to know. But I do know that if I was pregnant I would go to my closest friends at work and share that with them, for sure. I am being too sensitive I guess.

Keep in mind that she might not have directly told the other workers that she is pregnant. They might have figured it out on there own, asked about it, and she reluctantly confirmed it without going out of her way to tell them.

I know that for various reasons, my wife and I didn't tell others of our pregnancy until we were a little farther along. Basically, tried to keep it a secret for a while. Once the cat was out of the bag, we didn't go around telling everyone about the pregnancy, including close friends, unless the question was asked or the natural flow of a conversation brought it up.

I guess my point is that she might not have TOLD anyone anything but only confirmed when confronted.

I know there is a lady in our office right now that is pregnant, but she hasn't told anyone yet. But some of us already know because of various recent symptoms and certain physical changes, and the lack of a denial that most women would give when someone jokingly asked "what's the mater, you pregnant?