PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else catch every cold their child does and stay sick for months?

Fairy
02-17-2010, 02:46 AM
I've lost track of when it started, but I know DS got sick in September, as the day after his Bday party he was diagnosed with pneumonia. Every since then it's been up and down with me catching what he has while he gets better and I linger for weeks, then just as I've almost shaken it off, DS catching something new and me coming down with in immediately thereafter as if I'd never gotten any better from the previous time. Literally since late September at least. And I don't know what it is about my constitution, but I stay sick forEVER. Serious sick, like sinuses, hacking technicolor phlegm (TMI, sorry), gagging, throwing up, plugged up ears, and starting all over again.

Is anyone else dealing with this? Am I just not strong enough to fight all this? I do have significant stress in my life, but come on, don't we ALL? I'm more stressed than most people I know, but far less than so many others, so I question stress being an issue. I admit I do not get enough sleep. I need to do better. I don't know how to do that, but there's no way it's not hurting me to get a 5 hour average a night. I do eat my share of crap but I eat alot of healthy, too. Veggies, protein, not too much carb, etc. What am I doing wrong that I can't get better?!

I'm currently in panic mode, as I'm flying to LA this weekend, and have taken 2 "doses" of airborne (for the first time), which I'm sure gave me diharreah. I've never been able to spell that word. I am taking 2ce daily hits of Symbicourt, just started back on mucinex DM, and have a call into the doc for a cough med, as that's the crux of my issue is the coughing is killing me.

Who else has been fighting bugs for months?

oneplustwo
02-17-2010, 05:01 AM
Have you ever been checked for asthma or other allergies? It sounds to me like these may be causing your symptoms to linger so long and to get so bad. A lot of what you describe sounds much like what I would go through a few years ago. I felt like I had a sign branded into my forehead that said "Hotel Anne, 5-star accommodations!!" to welcome every little virus bug in a 10-mile radius of me to take up lodging. It turned out that every niggling little teeny cold virus, that in other people would cause the sniffles for a day or two, would trigger a big reaction in me. I usually ended up on antibiotics to kill the bacterial gunk in my lungs and the sinus infection rampaging in my head. It was bloody awful. And I totally hear you on the pretty cough goo. I learned that cough syrup with codeine was a girl's best friend to sleep through the night without losing a lung and busting the diaphragm.

I finally found a combination of asthma and allergy meds and other treatments (think good ol' neti pot) that made a big difference. We were also able to make some renovations in two bathrooms in the house that got rid of some mold sources that I think also helped me and now I've been able to reduce my asthma meds.

It took a long time before some docs and I woke up to the fact that allergies and asthma were involved in my case. So you might want to see if this is exacerbating your illnesses. Good luck; being sick is no fun at all.

ETA: you might also want to have your vitamin D levels checked. Sometimes low vitamin D levels can affect your immune system.

wellyes
02-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Aw, that's awful. That does not sound normal. It does sound VERY familiar, because that is exactly what it was like for me whenever I caught a cold -- back when I smoked a half pack a day. Exacerbated because I smoked *while* I was sick. When I quit, I went to having normal colds / bugs that last a few days. Assuming you do not smoke, I would check for an underlying condition. I think the PP is probably write that it's probably allergies, asthma or something similar.

Fairy
02-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Have you ever been checked for asthma or other allergies? It sounds to me like these may be causing your symptoms to linger so long and to get so bad. A lot of what you describe sounds much like what I would go through a few years ago. I felt like I had a sign branded into my forehead that said "Hotel Anne, 5-star accommodations!!" to welcome every little virus bug in a 10-mile radius of me to take up lodging. It turned out that every niggling little teeny cold virus, that in other people would cause the sniffles for a day or two, would trigger a big reaction in me. I usually ended up on antibiotics to kill the bacterial gunk in my lungs and the sinus infection rampaging in my head. It was bloody awful. And I totally hear you on the pretty cough goo. I learned that cough syrup with codeine was a girl's best friend to sleep through the night without losing a lung and busting the diaphragm.

I finally found a combination of asthma and allergy meds and other treatments (think good ol' neti pot) that made a big difference. We were also able to make some renovations in two bathrooms in the house that got rid of some mold sources that I think also helped me and now I've been able to reduce my asthma meds.

It took a long time before some docs and I woke up to the fact that allergies and asthma were involved in my case. So you might want to see if this is exacerbating your illnesses. Good luck; being sick is no fun at all.

ETA: you might also want to have your vitamin D levels checked. Sometimes low vitamin D levels can affect your immune system.

Yes, this is definitely me. It's the cough that is the hardest, and yes, the codeine cough medicine finally did it for me this last go round!! I know I have asthmatic reactions from cold triggers. I had allergies as a child, and I outgrew them (cats, dogs, etc.). But maybe I have allergies I don't know about. My dad has asthma, my son has asthma, I'm reacting like *I* have asthma ... maybe I have asthma. I got bronchitis in college and have never been able to feel quite the same when taking a deep breath since. I think maybe I'll call DS's pulminologist.

arivecchi
02-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Fairy, that does not sound normal. It does take me longer to recover from a cold than it takes the kids, but not that long. There must be something going on here. Get thee to a doc.

JenChem
02-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Fairy I am right there with you. So far we've had colds, GI infections, RSV, ear infections, and now he's back to a cold and I have strep. I'm on my 3rd round of antibiotics since August. My doc says if I haven't kicked this by Fri or I kick it and catch something else she is referring me to an ENT.

tmarie
02-17-2010, 01:18 PM
I just wanted to tell you that dh and I went through this in the fall. Dd#2 started school and was sick for over two months...she picked up one virus after another, and then dh and I would get sick, usually for longer. Amazingly, we've all been quite healthy since December (knock on wood). I do suffer from allergies and wondered if that was my problem. But it seems a little too coincidental that dh and I are healthy now that dd is healthy. I talked to lots of friends at the time--because I feared we would never be a healthy home again!--and they all reported similar situations, so I think it can be normal. There is an end in sight. GL and feel better!

tmarie

MontrealMum
02-17-2010, 01:30 PM
:hug: And I think I know how you feel. It sucks!

I've been more sick than not since DS started daycare at just over a year. Last year was much worse than this year, but I'm almost always either getting a sniffle, in the middle of a cold, or getting over one. They aren't all horrific, but some are. Basically we're on a cycle of having sickness every two weeks.

I have always been hit harder and longer than most with basic colds because of my allergies. My ped (mine, not DS' - from when I was a kid) told my mom that my allergies put me at a disadvantage for fighting things like that off. DH catches what DS brings home too, but it usually doesn't affect him as severely, or as badly. And I'm the one that's in "better" shape re: sleep, vitamins etc. After reading some threads here on removal of tonsils as a teen/adult, I'm also wondering if my insanely painful sore throats are linked to still having my tonsils as well.

The only tricks for coping that I've discovered are that I have to go off my allergy pills and nasal inhaler (if I'm using it) because they dry/stop everything up which is super painful, and the key to pushing a cold along is encouraging drainage. Ick, I know, TMI. Depending on where it settles I might do sessions over my steamer with eucalyptus oil or mint or something. But lately it's not settling in my chest so often.

I find that if I have to be "functional that Benalyn can help. Mind you, it makes me dizzy so I don't like to drive, but it makes me appear human enough in public that people aren't scared! I am very sensitive to cold med. ingredients (like psudoephedrine), so it's the only one I've found that doesn't set my heart racing. If it's super bad I visit the clinic in the hopes of antibiotics, because odds are there's some sort of infection.

sste
02-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Oh fairy, I hear you! I think our cold climate is NOT helpful - - always inside with circulating germs. I have been sick about 45 days in the past 12 months. I almost started to cry this morning and told my husband I wanted to check into a clinic (do sanitariums still exist??) to recover my immune system.

It is awful. Sending you lots of hugs. The only things that work for me are 1) getting enough sleep -- HUGE impact on immune system; 2) avoiding stress - - also huge impact. I have also started making DS wash his hands and even bathe directly after daycare. I take vit c and echinacea and zinc supplements like candy and it hasn't worked for me. :(

ThreeofUs
02-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Oh yeah. Sick sick sick sick sick, and then so dang tired I get sick some more. I'm just lovin' it. DH has taken to letting me sleep some mornings and just taking over - what a guy!

Nothing's worked for me except fish oil, which has given me a better attitude about it all.

So sorry you're going through this. I wish I could crawl in a hole somewhere and wait it all out in warmth and comfort. Wanna join me? ;)

oneplustwo
02-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Yes, this is definitely me. It's the cough that is the hardest, and yes, the codeine cough medicine finally did it for me this last go round!! I know I have asthmatic reactions from cold triggers. I had allergies as a child, and I outgrew them (cats, dogs, etc.). But maybe I have allergies I don't know about. My dad has asthma, my son has asthma, I'm reacting like *I* have asthma ... maybe I have asthma. I got bronchitis in college and have never been able to feel quite the same when taking a deep breath since. I think maybe I'll call DS's pulminologist.

OK, our histories are even more alike. I had some mild allergies when I was a kid and outgrew them too, for the most part (not cats though). After having the kids, all those problems returned and kicked up a notch and boy was I miserable til I got the underlying asthma/allergies under control. One person explained it to me this way: when you have asthma, even when you are healthy and feel rather asymptomatic, there can be inflammation in your lungs. If that's not treated on a regular basis, when a little cold comes along, BAM, that triggers an even greater reaction and you feel like the only thing that will help is a lung transplant, and maybe a new head to replace the sinus pressure!

I hope your DS's pulminologist can help you and that you feel better soon!

Fairy
02-17-2010, 02:45 PM
I wish I could crawl in a hole somewhere and wait it all out in warmth and comfort. Wanna join me? ;)

Send me the address of said hole somewhere, and I'll have my GPS direct me there with a pillow, blankie, and box of kleenex.

Fairy
02-17-2010, 02:48 PM
OK, our histories are even more alike. I had some mild allergies when I was a kid and outgrew them too, for the most part (not cats though). After having the kids, all those problems returned and kicked up a notch and boy was I miserable til I got the underlying asthma/allergies under control. One person explained it to me this way: when you have asthma, even when you are healthy and feel rather asymptomatic, there can be inflammation in your lungs. If that's not treated on a regular basis, when a little cold comes along, BAM, that triggers an even greater reaction and you feel like the only thing that will help is a lung transplant, and maybe a new head to replace the sinus pressure!

I hope your DS's pulminologist can help you and that you feel better soon!

And the parallels continue, as this was never as bad until I had DS and caught my first cold that he had. I didn't have a gag reflex before I had DS, and then I did. I didn't have a problem with phlem before DS, and then I did. and I didn't have such huge cough reactions before DS and now I do. Wow.

ThreeofUs
02-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Send me the address of said hole somewhere, and I'll have my GPS direct me there with a pillow, blankie, and box of kleenex.

I'm thinking 4160 Wailapa Rd, Kilauea, HI 96754. Up for it?

(And I'm really not sure I'm kidding any more.)

Momit
02-17-2010, 04:12 PM
I had a similar problem years ago, before kids. I just kept getting lingering sinus infections, coughs, colds etc. After taking penicillin and every other -cillin available, I finally had my tonsils and adenoids out and that seemed to allow everything to clear out and go away.

HIU8
02-17-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't catch every cold, but the ones I do catch turn quickly into a sinus infection. Sometimes I don't realize it and the last one I had for months before I finally got myself to the doctor and got a zpack. Cured it right away.

crl
02-17-2010, 04:59 PM
I don't catch everything. But when I do, I'm sick for forever. It's the cough that lingers for me. And that's been true since childhood. I had bronchitis every winter at least once from the time I was born until I was 16 years old. I've had pneumonia 3 times, all before graduating from college.

For me, it's the allergies. I just can't kick a cough because the virus is piled on top of the pre-existing allergies. I also had a run of repeated sinusitis in my late 20s because I worked in a building with mold problems. So, my strategy is to stay on top of the allergies--dustmite encasements on all my bed stuff, wash sheets on hot (minimum of once a week, often twice a week), dust with damp cloth, vacuum (w/ HEPA filter) and I recently added an air filter to our bedroom. I also take allergy meds year around.

It all helps, but doesn't competely solve things.

Catherine

MontrealMum
02-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Can I come too? :D I have LOTS of kleenex. DH buys it in bulk now.

Fairy
02-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Dude. You had me at the word "Kilauea."

We've reserved your spot.

ThreeofUs
02-17-2010, 10:47 PM

Dude. You had me at the word "Kilauea."
We've reserved your spot.

WHOOO-HOOOO!!!

See you both there. I'm thinking an extended get-healthy-exercise-and-drinking (fruit juices, of course) jaunt.

:cheerleader1:

ETA: Did you google the addy? It's going on auction, only $2M reserve. :hysterical:

DrSally
02-17-2010, 10:50 PM
For awhile, every winter, I'd get a major cough that would last weeks--like 4+ weeks. By the time I went in, it had gotten to bronchitis each time. Antibiotics cleared it up within days. Luckily, I haven't had it yet this year. Not saying that's what yours is, but I for me, letting it go and not going to the doctor was my downfall. (Sounds like you've already gone, so that's good).

DrSally
02-17-2010, 10:53 PM

On one of the Doctor's shows, they said that "kids outgrow their allegists, but not their allergies". Even the dr. on the show found that he thought he had outgrown his asthma, but was having some sx, and after some testing, realized he still had asthma as an adult.

Fairy
02-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Well, I got a cough med (pearl?) called in, and I'm on dose #1. Plus Airborne. Plus I'm sucking on a disgusting-tasting cold-eze. Plus I'll take a mucinex DM before bed. lus fluid out the wazoo (almost literally!). I am better today. The cough isn't well enough. This thread really made me think. Definitely going to a pulminologist in the near future to try to rein this in. Thanks much, guys.