PDA

View Full Version : what type of bike, and how much did you spend on your child's first real bike?

AnnieW625
02-17-2010, 01:23 PM
DD's little Fisher Price bike with permanently attached training wheels broke recently (she got it for her 2nd birthday) and we'd like to get her a new bigger bike (I am thinking a 16"). Our local bike shop has some nice options, but they are about $180 to $220. I am not overly stressed about spending that much money because her next bike after this one will be free (my parents still have my classic 1970s Schwinn banana seat bike), but am wondering what everyone else did and what they got, and how much they spent. I'd prefer something local because that way we can try the bikes before we buy. So LA/OC residents I'll take your bike shop recs too! TIA!

Here is a link to some that our local shop carries:
Trek Mystic 16: http://jaxbicycles.com/product/trek-mystic-16-59855-1.htm
Nirve 16: http://jaxbicycles.com/product/electra-girls-hawaii-16-inch-41430-1.htm

ETA: I am not opposed to CL so I know I will check there, but right now the selection in LA/OC really stinks! I'll keep looking though.

o_mom
02-17-2010, 01:26 PM
We bought two Trek Jet 16's off CL for $50 each. I have found them to be plentiful enough in this area that we will keep with that until they are close to adult-size.

happy2bamom
02-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Trek Jet 16 here. We wanted something with a lighter frame, so that it would be easier to balance (once we took the training wheels off). I totally recommend a higher end bike versus a character bike that you can buy at Walmart/Target. The cheaper bikes are heavier and harder to manuever. It's comparable to roller blading in cheap skates versus high end ones. It takes a lot less effort to skate in high quality skates, they're more durable, and provide a smoother ride. HTH

TwinFoxes
02-17-2010, 01:44 PM
I totally recommend a higher end bike versus a character bike that you can buy at Walmart/Target. The cheaper bikes are heavier and harder to manuever.

Not only that, but the braking distances are much, MUCH longer on a cheap bike. I know I'm biased because I used to work in a bike shop in college, but if your kid will ever need to hit their brakes hard, you'll want them to be on a bike shop bike vs a big box store bike.

SnuggleBuggles
02-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Our bike was bought at an independent bike shop for over $100 (maybe $150?) and it was absolutely not worth it, imo. It was a Raleigh. That could be because we have a terrible street (steep hill) so the bike doesn't get used much. But, mostly it's because I don't think it is so much better to justify the price when it is just a kid bike. I don't find it better than the cheaper bikes my friends' kids have. Again, it hasn't been used much though so it could be a great bike. For our occasional use we could have done with a simpler bike. And we would get one with gears if we were doing it again.

mecawa
02-17-2010, 02:07 PM
I don't remember the brand off the top of my head, but we bought it a local bike shop last year for her prek graduation. We spent about 175, and we like it, so does she. She had been eyeing it for about a year every time we went to the deli (across the street). Imo, it's been worth it, she will probably get a couple more years out of it too.

melissaflorida
02-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Trek Mystic over here. Paid around $150.00.

~Melissa

jenmcadams
02-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Trek Mystic ($170) (although we did wait until she was ready for the 20" bike)...I liked that it has coaster and one hand brake and was something she'd keep for a while. Our local bike store has a trade-in program that will allow us to trade in this bike within three years for a bigger bike and get a 40% discount off the new bike. I don't know if our bike store is s national chain (Bicycle Village), but it seemed like a relatively common program with some of the larger bike stores around here. I personally use a local bike show for my road bike, but they didn't have any great deals on kids bikes (everything we dull retail, no trade-in, etc.)

maestramommy
02-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Take this fwiw, but Dh found a little two wheeler at the secondhand shop that is attached to the town dump. He bought it for $5, and paid $15 to have the pedals taken off. It still sitting in our basement though, because as tiny as it is, Dora is still too short to ride it:p Hopefully this summer. I think it's a Huffy, and it looks almost like a dirt bike.

WatchingThemGrow
02-17-2010, 03:52 PM
We're going for a Float or Mystic, but hopefully, we'll get the friend discount from our bike shop friends, so maybe 60%msrp. I'd be scouring CL and yard sales for a high end bike if not from them.

DrSally
02-17-2010, 03:58 PM
We spend $80 on DS's strider when he was 2.5. It lasted 2 years for him (it's the lowest balance bike). Then, we got the Wee-ride for $35 on Amazon (the height starts out where the Strider leaves off). He's still using that one.

Corie
02-17-2010, 04:21 PM
My daughter has a Trek Mystic in hot pink.

My son has a Specialized Hot Rock in blue.

Both bikes are super cool. :)

mom_hanna
02-17-2010, 04:28 PM
My dd has a specialized hot rock in bright orange. It's awesome.

momtoonegirl
02-17-2010, 05:34 PM
DD also has the Specialized Hot Rock in hot pink! She loves it :)

Here is the link: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEquipPopup.jsp?equipimage=/OA_MEDIA/2009/bikes/8490-71_EL_HOT_16_G_pink_l.jpg&equipmodel=Hotrock 16 Girls

KrisM
02-17-2010, 05:50 PM
We bought a Trek Jet for DS1 when he was 2. He upgraded to a 16" at 4 and will likely get something bigger this year. DD is using the smaller one now and might be ready for the 16 this summer. DS2 will use the smaller one.

We bought bike store because I wanted to be sure it lasted through 3 kids. The biggest difference I've noticed between those bikes and the TRU bikes is the training wheels. The training wheels on our bike were really quiet and the other bike had very loud and annoying training wheels. It's a very small sample size though :).

Tondi G
02-17-2010, 05:54 PM
DS1 got his bike from a small local bike shop. I think we paid $165 for it but it's a really nice candy apple red Giant brand bike. It has held up beautifully and we will easily be able to pass it on to DS2. Giant has a 16" girls bikes in pink and purple

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/pudd.n.pink/3916/37105/

DS2 needed a 16 inch bike and was drawn to a Diamondback white/blk/green every time we went to Sport Chalet. DH ended up buying it for him when it was the last one in stock in our local store. DS has ridden that bike all over the place and it's holding up great too.

this is his little bike http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/youth/rm-16-10/

here are the girls versions... love the beach cruiser style... they run about $160+

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/youth/mini-della-cruz-10/
http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/youth/mini-impression-10/

Check Sport Chalet, REI, and independent bike shops (Imartin is where we got DS1's bike... it's up here in LA)

katydid1971
02-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Wow. I guess I'm the only one who bought a walmart bike. It was $50 and ds hasn't had any problems with it. Feeling like a bad mom for not buying a more expensive one.

alien_host
02-17-2010, 06:44 PM
We ended up getting her a Trek Jet and it was about $200. I think it is 16 inch and will last her a while but I regret paying that much (I think there was a different thread about that somewhere).

We got it for her 4th birthday (April) and she barely rode it all summer. I think it was scary for her since it was much higher than the other bike she had used (12 inch, but too small). Anyway she rode it on and off and really started using it in Oct/Nov and then it snowed.

So in retrospect, I should have scoured CL more or maybe spent less. It is a very nice bike though (she chose the red, I wanted her to have the purple with the basket but she liked the "boys" version better).

Tanya
02-18-2010, 11:02 AM
We also have a Walmart bike. It was free. We supposedly won it, but it was really just a bribe to listen to some sales pitch about smoke detectors I think.

Anyway, we were allowed to choose from girls and boys of a few different sizes. I had one baby girl at the time and I chose the 16" red boys bike. I thought it made sense to get a neutral girl/boy color in case I had a boy later. I also thought it would be a waste to get the little 12" bike when we had a Kettler trike.

So, when we were struggling with if she'd ever learn to ride without training wheels, I wondered if I should have gotten the smaller bike. Now I kind of wonder if it would make sense to get one for the 3.5 year old now. I mean really, who has room to store every single size of bike anyway? But maybe since her sister is riding a big girl bike, she'd learn earlier?
However, now that I have 2 girls, I really do wish I'd gone pink. The older one is obsessed with pink bikes in the store. That's not to say she still wouldn't want to look at bikes at the store even if she did have a pink one, but still. I did add girl accessories to it and she does ride it. We haven't had any problems with it and I don't see the need to have a more expensive bike.

So, who really buys each size of bike? I had a tricycle, then a training wheel bike (probably 16"), then a 10 speed (I think it was 24"). There are all kinds of sizes at the store now.

jacksmomtobe
02-18-2010, 12:27 PM
We got DS a Trek bike at age 4 for about $180. The local bike shop has a program where you can trade it in in 2 years and get 50% off the next bike. They said they are fairly liberal about the bikes you bring back.

lfp2n
02-18-2010, 12:32 PM
We got this one.
http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/cnoc16.html
The inlaws brought it over in their suitcase from the UK. Its a great bike, very light and only has handbrakes. We will be able to resell for at least half, so I don't think it works out so much in the end. Anyway DH is a complete bike nut so unlike all DDs other toys he did all the research on this one.

AnnieW625
02-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Wow. I guess I'm the only one who bought a walmart bike. It was $50 and ds hasn't had any problems with it. Feeling like a bad mom for not buying a more expensive one.

I had a cheapo bike growing up too it was Strawberry Shortcake. I can't remember who gave it to me but if it was from my Grandparents it most likely came from Fedco, and if it was from my parents it most likely came from this variety type store that sold everything from couches to bikes to washers/dryers in my home town. Unfortunately our Target (haven't looked at Wal Mart) only keeps larger kid bikes and not the smaller 16" ones and since I don't want to order online it's easier to either buy off CL or look at a bike shop and then be able to sell it on CL for a better price.

Asianmommy
02-18-2010, 12:38 PM
We got a Trek Mystic, as well. Great bike! Still looks new for the 2nd child. By the way, the bike shop can install a kickstand for a nominal fee.

arivecchi
02-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Not that this is a first real bike, but our Specialized Hotrock cost $160. I was quite hesitant to spend that much, but then could not believe how great a little bike it was. I would definitely get a nice one from a bike shop. My bike shop has a trade-in program, so we get a significant discount on a new Specialized bike when we decide to trade up. Maybe you can look for a similar program?

AnnieW625
02-18-2010, 01:18 PM
I will look into a trade in program too I am sure our variety of bike shops have them, but if we do have to trade it in it would only be because #2 is a boy. DD will get my classic Schwinn once she grows out of the this bike.

Ariverchi, so you ended up getting DS1 a regular bike instead of the balance bike?

carolinamama
02-18-2010, 01:30 PM
DS1 got a Specialized Hotrock in blue for Christmas. It was around $180-200. Before that he has been riding a Like-a-Bike Jumper (metal frame) balance bike that was even more. BUT...I figure we can pass these bikes down to his younger sibling(s). We were very happy with the Like-a-Bike and so far the Hotrock is great. I looked on CL but never found anything so we bought new.

o_mom
02-18-2010, 01:40 PM
So, who really buys each size of bike? I had a tricycle, then a training wheel bike (probably 16"), then a 10 speed (I think it was 24"). There are all kinds of sizes at the store now.

We have a tricycle, balance bike, 12", 14" and two 16" bikes.

The 12 and 14" are TRU/Walmart hand-me-downs and the 16" were bought on CL. With three close in age, we end up moving up sooner to pass them down or with multiple kids in the same size. Going from a 16" to an adult size bike would be difficult and since we do long rides together they need to have a bike that fits well. The 12/14" ones were used mainly on the driveway and around the block, but once we moved to a 16" they could keep up on the rides so we got something a bit nicer. We will most likely go from a 16" to a 20" and then to a 24", but again, may need two of each size to keep them on a properly-sized frame. Also because we don't use training wheels, we can't size up to make the bike last longer.

arivecchi
02-18-2010, 01:50 PM
I will look into a trade in program too I am sure our variety of bike shops have them, but if we do have to trade it in it would only be because #2 is a boy. DD will get my classic Schwinn once she grows out of the this bike.

Ariverchi, so you ended up getting DS1 a regular bike instead of the balance bike? No. We got him the Hotrock which is a balance bike. :)

kijip
02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
About $90 on sale. It's not a fancy brand (Schwinn) and because he does not like to ride it much, I think it was a waste. If I knew then what I know now I would have gotten him a $10 bike off of Craigslist.

WatchingThemGrow
02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
We have a tricycle, balance bike, 12", 14" and two 16" bikes.

The 12 and 14" are TRU/Walmart hand-me-downs and the 16" were bought on CL. With three close in age, we end up moving up sooner to pass them down or with multiple kids in the same size. Going from a 16" to an adult size bike would be difficult and since we do long rides together they need to have a bike that fits well. The 12/14" ones were used mainly on the driveway and around the block, but once we moved to a 16" they could keep up on the rides so we got something a bit nicer. We will most likely go from a 16" to a 20" and then to a 24", but again, may need two of each size to keep them on a properly-sized frame. Also because we don't use training wheels, we can't size up to make the bike last longer.
o_mom, what can you suggest for us with similarly-spaced DC? The same type of fleet? We have trikes galore and a balance bike so far. Hoping to pass down the balance bike and move DD up in May.

o_mom
02-18-2010, 02:15 PM
o_mom, what can you suggest for us with similarly-spaced DC? The same type of fleet? We have trikes galore and a balance bike so far. Hoping to pass down the balance bike and move DD up in May.

So far this is working well for us. DS1 and DS2 shared the tricycle and balance bike until DS1 was ready for a pedal bike. After that DS1 moved to a pedal bike and after about 6 months up to the 16" Trek from CL. That left the smaller pedal bikes for DS2 to learn on and when he mastered that we found another Trek on CL for him. This summer I anticipate that DS1 and DS2 will stay on the 16" (both are on the small side) and DS3 can use the balance bike, trike and small pedal bikes.

For you, I would look for a cheap 12-14" pedal bike to use as a transition bike - CL or Goodwill or even handed down. When they first start the pedal bikes it is better to be a bit on the small side so they can put their feet down as needed and once they get it, they can move up a size. It doesn't take long, so I wouldn't invest too much in that size. DS2 only used the 12" for a month or two and then went to the 16". DS1 was longer because it was winter, but still not more than 6 months on the 14". Since you have time, you can scout the bike shops to get an idea of which bike you would like and then watch CL for a used one.

WatchingThemGrow
02-18-2010, 03:12 PM
So far this is working well for us. DS1 and DS2 shared the tricycle and balance bike until DS1 was ready for a pedal bike. After that DS1 moved to a pedal bike and after about 6 months up to the 16" Trek from CL. That left the smaller pedal bikes for DS2 to learn on and when he mastered that we found another Trek on CL for him. This summer I anticipate that DS1 and DS2 will stay on the 16" (both are on the small side) and DS3 can use the balance bike, trike and small pedal bikes.

For you, I would look for a cheap 12-14" pedal bike to use as a transition bike - CL or Goodwill or even handed down. When they first start the pedal bikes it is better to be a bit on the small side so they can put their feet down as needed and once they get it, they can move up a size. It doesn't take long, so I wouldn't invest too much in that size. DS2 only used the 12" for a month or two and then went to the 16". DS1 was longer because it was winter, but still not more than 6 months on the 14". Since you have time, you can scout the bike shops to get an idea of which bike you would like and then watch CL for a used one.

sorry for the hijack, OP! Thanks o_mom! We have a bike store connection so I can get some deals on new ones. I should ask about used ones they take in on trade, as well as CL. Goodwill is hard for me to get into easily (double stroller, 3DC, etc). So you think this one would not be a good idea, necessarily? http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/kids/ages_4_6/float/

o_mom
02-18-2010, 03:19 PM
If you can get a good deal, the Float might be good, but if you have a balance bike already and with kids close in age I think it has less appeal. The idea of the Float is that you don't buy two separate things. However, with another one ready to use the balance bike you end up kicking the older one off to pass it down, etc.

Also, the Float tends to be big for a balance bike. I think of it more as a bike for a 5-6 yo who needs the balance portion for just a bit to get off the training wheels. It is not going to fit a 2-4 yo well like other balance bikes. Again, if you could get the Float cheaper than a Mystic, then it wouldn't be bad, but I wouldn't pay more for it when you already have a balance bike.

ETA: You have to figure gender into your mix as well, which I don't, so I'm not sure how that changes it.

WatchingThemGrow
02-18-2010, 03:33 PM
If you can get a good deal, the Float might be good, but if you have a balance bike already and with kids close in age I think it has less appeal. The idea of the Float is that you don't buy two separate things. However, with another one ready to use the balance bike you end up kicking the older one off to pass it down, etc.

Also, the Float tends to be big for a balance bike. I think of it more as a bike for a 5-6 yo who needs the balance portion for just a bit to get off the training wheels. It is not going to fit a 2-4 yo well like other balance bikes. Again, if you could get the Float cheaper than a Mystic, then it wouldn't be bad, but I wouldn't pay more for it when you already have a balance bike.

ETA: You have to figure gender into your mix as well, which I don't, so I'm not sure how that changes it.

Again, sorry OP! YES, that is all true, and exactly why I'm floundering. It's almost worse than a stroller decision, lol. She road a mystic w/training wheels around the store a few months ago, but that seemed weird since she's already balancing pretty well and should be able to skip the tw, right? The more I think about it, the more :dizzy: I get! I almost think I need to draw a picture of who can be riding what each summer, size/ability wise. Like we may need to have a couple of certain sizes. She totally wants the pink Float and expects it for her 4th bday.

awoodm
02-18-2010, 04:07 PM
We bought two Trek Jet 16's off CL for $50 each. I have found them to be plentiful enough in this area that we will keep with that until they are close to adult-size.

Wow, I will have to keep an eye out on our CL, I would love to score one for that price in time for DS's b-day in May. I don't see any on there now, though. :)

AnnieW625
02-18-2010, 04:08 PM
WTG, and O Mom don't worry about the hijack! DD totally told me she wants a pink or purple bike and that Mystic looks really nice. I am going to have a hard time telling her no once she finally sees it. The Float concept looks interesting too.

o_mom
02-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Wow, I will have to keep an eye out on our CL, I would love to score one for that price in time for DS's b-day in May. I don't see any on there now, though. :)

They seemed to come up fairly regularly last summer - I know I saw several 16" other than the two we bought and a lot more 20" ones. The 20", I think is where Trek starts making both aluminum and steel, so you have to look carefully if that matters to you, but a friend bought a 20" Jet for $35 with an aluminum frame two years ago on our CL.

ETA: Of course now that I say this, there won't be any for years, lol. :)

o_mom
02-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Again, sorry OP! YES, that is all true, and exactly why I'm floundering. It's almost worse than a stroller decision, lol. She road a mystic w/training wheels around the store a few months ago, but that seemed weird since she's already balancing pretty well and should be able to skip the tw, right? The more I think about it, the more :dizzy: I get! I almost think I need to draw a picture of who can be riding what each summer, size/ability wise. Like we may need to have a couple of certain sizes. She totally wants the pink Float and expects it for her 4th bday.

If she is already balancing well, I would get a Mystic and skip the training wheels on it. As long as she can touch the ground with the seat in the lowest postition - doesn't need to be completely flat-footed, but enough to stabilize - she should be OK. That's where the small CL bike comes in, though, to let her get the idea of starting with pedals and stopping (oh, the stopping... that was many shouts of "pedal back, PEDAL BACK!!!"). Also, if you get a good warm day go to a parking lot and give her space to learn. I hit up churches during the week and schools on weekends for wide spaces to ride. :)

If you have a friend that has a 12-14" to practice on, then get the Mystic for her b-day. What size was the Mystic? I have small kids, but even DS2 could handle a 16" Jet at a few months past 4.

niccig
02-18-2010, 05:51 PM
DS had a balance bike and then we moved him to a 12" Specialised without the training wheels. He was a little over 3.5 years old. He's now 5 and we still have him on the 12" bike. We tried a 16" bike but on the lowest setting DS can't really touch the floor - he can get his toes to the ground, but he likes to be flat footed and he runs with the bike to get started before he starts to pedal.

I know I'll be listing our 12" on CL in about 6 months - it's blue though, so probably not what you DD would want. DS's bike is very light, and I think that helps when they learn how to ride. We ride all the time, the 3 of us go most weekends, so it's gotten a lot of use in the time we've had it. I'll use whatever I get from CL to offset the next bike.

Here's one, but it might be too far from you http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bik/1603642381.html

AnnieW625
02-18-2010, 06:04 PM
DS had a balance bike and then we moved him to a 12" Specialised without the training wheels. He was a little over 3.5 years old. He's now 5 and we still have him on the 12" bike. We tried a 16" bike but on the lowest setting DS can't really touch the floor - he can get his toes to the ground, but he likes to be flat footed and he runs with the bike to get started before he starts to pedal.

I know I'll be listing our 12" on CL in about 6 months - it's blue though, so probably not what you DD would want. DS's bike is very light, and I think that helps when they learn how to ride. We ride all the time, the 3 of us go most weekends, so it's gotten a lot of use in the time we've had it. I'll use whatever I get from CL to offset the next bike.

Here's one, but it might be too far from you http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bik/1603642381.html

Niccig-- that's perfect! Oh no Torrance is maybe 30 minutes from us (max) and it's easier than going up to LA! I am going to contact the seller; hopefully we can look at it this weekend!

Nicci, how tall is your son? I know you have mentioned he's tiny in other posts, but just curious. Maybe we should do a 12" then. I emailed the seller so we'll see what they say.

niccig
02-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Niccig-- that's perfect! Oh no Torrance is maybe 30 minutes from us (max) and it's easier than going up to LA! I am going to contact the seller; hopefully we can look at it this weekend!

It says there's a rip in the seat, but a new seat shouldn't be too much money

I should start looking for a 16" for DS..we like the specialized as that is what he has. A trek would be good as well. I should start hunting CL.

awoodm
02-18-2010, 06:12 PM
They seemed to come up fairly regularly last summer - I know I saw several 16" other than the two we bought and a lot more 20" ones. The 20", I think is where Trek starts making both aluminum and steel, so you have to look carefully if that matters to you, but a friend bought a 20" Jet for $35 with an aluminum frame two years ago on our CL.

ETA: Of course now that I say this, there won't be any for years, lol. :)

I know, right? haha.

Thanks for the input, though! Maybe I'll get lucky!

niccig
02-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Annie, here's a trek Mystic
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/bik/1600065943.html

WatchingThemGrow
03-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Annie, just wanted to see what you've come up with...

Roni
03-01-2010, 03:49 PM
I don't know all of the brands we have, but we have a couple hand-me-downs. The only new one we have came from Target, so it wasn't too expensive. We got a 10-speed or such from CL for about $60, I think. My brother fixed it up, and dd used it in a kids' triathlon. My husband does most of his shopping on CL, though. My brother is handy w/ bikes, and dh is handy with everything else, so that makes a difference. IMO, it's not necessary to spend a lot on a kid's bike, that they'll outgrow (unless you want to and can afford it--if not, that's a great place to save $).