PDA

View Full Version : Play-Based or Academic Preschool WWYD

02-17-2010, 09:32 PM
What type of preschool do/did your child attend?

DS turned 4 in November. He was attending a Montessori program which we loved, but since our move we are considering more options. There is a lovely play-based preschool across the street from our house where the kids have a garden, raise chickens, have story-time and play. It totally reminds me of the play school on Caillou. The academic aspect is very minimal to non-existent--they practice handwriting and do some manipulatives but that's it. I think the school is perfect for my just turned 3 year old but I worry about it for my boy. He will not be entering Kindergarten next year. I think I'd prefer a Montessori or Bridge program for him but he really enjoyed the tour and it would be sooo convenient (not to mention significantly cheaper). He's starting to read and did math and science at his old preschool, will next year be a wasted year if I let him play?

We have three more tours scheduled.

UPDATE: toured everything else. I really like one of the local Montessori schools but DS fell on the floor bawling asking to go to "play school" instead. DH toured the facility, talked with the director, she addressed his concerns (she works closely with the public elementary school which shares a parking lot and playground to make sure all her 4 year olds are ready for kindy and know the teachers) and he signed up on the spot. Unfortunately, there aren't any openings at DS's level right now but there is an opening in the Twos class for DD. With DD enrolled, DS gets sibling preference for the fall and we're hoping for an opening in late spring. Until then DS will go to "Tot Drop" the two mornings a week that his sister is in preschool. He's over the moon happy so we are too.

Thank you,

Christine W

fivi2
02-17-2010, 09:34 PM
I asked a similar question lately, and I think everyone voted for play - not academics. Our situation changed a bit, but we are still going with play (nature) based, and this is for the year before entering kinder for us.

Your across the street one sounds perfect, imo!

kayte
02-17-2010, 09:36 PM
There is a lovely play-based preschool across the street from our house where the kids have a garden, raise chickens, have story-time and play.

I think this sounds like a dream!!!!

And before DD I was a kindergarten teacher. I would have loved for all my students to have had an experience like that one.

wellyes
02-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Oh, now I want to go to the chicken one! That sounds incredible. There will be plenty of time for academics later.

SnuggleBuggles
02-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Play!! That sounds like a wonderful school, if anything they do too many academics! IMO, academics prior to k (better even, 1st) are unnecessary. Read to your child, talk to your child, do things with your child and they will be ready for school.

Beth

lmwbasye
Kinder teacher here as well and I definitely vote play-based!! Sounds fantastic!!!

mik8
I'd choose play-based. The preschool (near your house) you described sounds awesome. My DD went to a play-based preschool and she's doing great in 1st grade right now (she's the youngest in class).

Here's an interesting link from NPR.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19212514

sariana
02-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Well, I guess I'll be the voice of dissent. I know someone who is considering starting a kind of "bridge" school. She and all her friends sent their children to play-based preschools, and none of them were happy with their children's preparation for kindergarten.

I think it really depends on your area, though. How academic is the kindergarten in your area? Maybe you could talk to the K teachers at your local school(s) to see what they recommend.

If he is not going to K next year, you could probably do the play-based now and then consider more academics the following year.

almostamom
02-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Absolutely play-based. So much is learned through play at that age. Many of the families where we live send their children to a preschool in our neighborhood because they feel it's so "academic". It's a worksheet factory! Based on your description, I would definitely choose the school across the street. FWIW, I taught Title 1 pre-k one year. Everything we did was through play, songs, stories, arts and crafts, games, outdoor play, etc. The following year the kindergarten teachers (who had each taught K for 20+ years) told me that my preschoolers were the best prepared kindergarteners they had ever taught.

Good luck,

Linda

bubbaray
02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Play based.

DD#1's Kindergarten is play-based too.

DrSally
02-17-2010, 10:27 PM
We go to a play-based preschool, so I vote play! I cringe at the thought of preschoolers doing worksheets.

SnuggleBuggles
02-17-2010, 10:31 PM
We go to a play-based preschool, so I vote play! I cringe at the thought of preschoolers doing worksheets.

:yeahthat: There are so many ways to learn. A good preschool sneaks learning in just fine without being academic, doing worksheets or other rout types of learning.

Beth

ohiomom
02-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Not to plug any particular school/program, but I feel like my DDs have gotten the best of both worlds at Goddard. They don't do worksheets, but learn SO MUCH that translates into academics through their play and very creative lesson plans.

Based on what you've written and not knowing the details of your current setup, across the street with a nature focus (and cheaper!) sounds absolutely perfect for the convenience if nothing else.

smilequeen
02-17-2010, 11:07 PM
I would personally stick with Montessori if it's working well for your child. I don't consider Montessori to be academic though. The children learn at their own pace, by their own choosing, things that they want to learn. I think most of what my boys do in Montessori is play, but they gain so much knowledge from it :) I am a big Montessori fan though as my boys are so happy and thriving there :)

I would (and did) go with playbased over academic if a good Montessori school was not an option though. Definitely.

LexyLou
02-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Playing IS learning at this age. Play based 100%.

That's my first question when interviewing preschools, are you play based? If they say no, I'm out the door.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-18-2010, 12:00 AM
I think it depends on the child. What works for one personality may not be best for another. Is it a Waldorf school?
For me that is kinda a gut check thing, what feels best for your family/child?

sste
02-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Can I move next door to you?

Not only do I strongly believe in play-based there are no words more beautiful to a parent's ears than "right across the street."

crl
02-18-2010, 02:53 AM
Play-based! My kiddo went to a Reggio school for most of his preschool. I think that prepared him for K better than an "academic" pre-K.

Catherine

schrocat
02-18-2010, 07:45 AM
DS (4) has been really happy at the play-based church preschool that he's been at for the past 2 years. He loves it so much more than the montessori classroom that he was in previously. We love the cost of his preschool too plus it's on the way to work for DH, I don't have to drop him off in the mornings unless DH has an early morning meeting. Academically, he's not doing too badly. He started teaching himself to read just before he turned 3 and he's reading at quite possibly a first or second grade level (I haven't bothered to test him but he's able to read the wimpy kid series of books and first grade readers). He's also doing simple math on his own at home.

The school across the street from you sounds amazing! Kids learn best while playing. The best thing about the school across the street from you apart from it sounding like alot of fun is that it's across the street! How cool is that?

clc053103
02-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Another vote for play based. DS does seem to want a little more academics, so I have some fun workbooks for home use, but I think getting socially ready for K is far more important than academically ready!

nov04
02-18-2010, 09:50 AM
When we were deciding on preschools (arrangements eventually fell through), we decided on play-based.

mommy111
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
I vote for right across the street! I don't care as much if its play based or academic (trust me, kids that age will take only so much worksheet based drilling, its a self limited exercise) but across the street sounds like heaven!

Moneypenny
02-18-2010, 10:37 AM
We sent DD to a play-based preschool and she is now doing wonderfully in kindergarten (and it's a pretty academic kindy at that).

AnnieW625
02-18-2010, 02:01 PM
The play based school sounds great. My DD goes to a playbased preschool at a Christian church (it's non religious, the school just gets the space for a cheap rate from the church). I am fine with play based for her because I don't want my child to feel the pressure of having to perform at such a young age.

Now I have been a big fan of Montessori since I worked at one as a sub. aide in college and if we were still in our home town I know 100% DD would be at the Montessori school I worked at; in our current city the Montessori schools closest to us aren't certified by AMS or AMI and aren't very well thought of, and end in the 3rd grade (I prefer programs that go until jr. high). Montesori is education based, but I also find it very play based. Kids learn by doing jobs and those jobs like cleaning and cooking, which are often fun for 3-5 yr. old kids. Puzzles while educational are also play toys too. Numbers are learned by blocks of beads. I could go on and on about Montessori and how much I really like the program (and also how it can be worked into real life), but you have to decide for your children which program best fits them. Good luck, and hope your move has gone smoothly:)

BabyMine
02-18-2010, 02:59 PM
I would love to send M to the play based school you mentioned.

The school M attends a school that incorperates more play based then acedemics.

arivecchi
02-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Definitely play-based.

02-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Updated in original post

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-21-2010, 12:13 AM
Glad you guys found a good fit, and the stress of the decision is over. There are so many decisions to make with kids!

kijip
02-21-2010, 12:28 AM
We did play based with T. T is none the worse for wear. I would only consider play based for F when the time comes. I don't know what academics look like for 3 and 4 year olds, but I am not interested. T is the opposite of behind in school and academic subjects. What we call academics is all possible in play settings it just does not take the same form. Tending chickens and gardening is one of the best science intros I can think of.