PDA

View Full Version : Commiserate with me (please..) "I'm So Old that...."

veronica
02-17-2010, 10:45 PM
I have no idea what Lady Gaga is saying

I own a pair of Naturalizer shoes

I find myself using my tweezers with increased frequency

I can't dream of walking into Express to shop for anything

I can't wait to get together with my friends to find out what moisturizer they put on at night

So , fess up, what do you find amusing about aging?

bubbaray
02-17-2010, 10:46 PM
I joked with some coworkers during my last pgy that I was going to go straight from being pg to being menopausal. I think they laughed at me, not with me.

chinook
02-17-2010, 10:48 PM
...a couple of years back I said to a coworker, "Hey! We're going to see Gordon Lightfoot when he comes to town!"

She replied, "Who's Gordon Lightfoot?!"

WatchingThemGrow
02-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Well, it isn't me (yet) but we celebrated DH's 40th birthday tonight with friends. There were so many candles, it looked like an inferno, and we had to open the windows to clear the smoke before taking a picture.

lmwbasye
02-17-2010, 10:49 PM
all I want to do on a Friday/Saturday night is relax and get to bed early.

lalasmama
02-17-2010, 10:49 PM
I have started the "when I was your age" line when talking to people in their 20s.

I am also really really set in my routines. Heaven help my SO if he tries to change something up at all, because I start whining that it's "not the way I like it!"

Corie
02-17-2010, 10:50 PM
I don't know what any of you are talking about.

elizabethkott
02-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I shudder when my students have no idea that Led Zep is a band and not a thing.

My idea of a "good time" right now involves my couch, a blanket, and one dog to warm my legs while the other warms my feet. Throw in some mini eggs, and that's practically heaven!

I can name more products designed for easing muscle tension/aches than I can people on the top 40 right now.

Remember Hot Topic? I used to shop there in college. Now I think it's a store for goth hookers.

kozachka
02-17-2010, 10:52 PM
I take it as a compliment when I get carded or when an acquintance assumes that I get Botox injections, which I don't. Not yet at least.

TwinFoxes
02-17-2010, 10:54 PM
I bought my last bathing suit from Lands End. And thought it was cute. :crying:

zag95
02-17-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm so old.... that I was born in the 70s! My HS students I work with now are born in the early to mid 90s- scary!

Most of them don't know anything about culture (i.e.- who is U2??? :47:- just one of the best bands of all time!!! ;)) They don't know life before cell phones nor what "records" are, much less 8- tracks!

I'm so old that I date myself when I talk!

JBaxter
02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
I wore legging the LAST time they were in style

GlindaGoodWitch
02-17-2010, 11:00 PM
I consider our Honda Accord the "sporty" car.

fivi2
02-17-2010, 11:04 PM
I am finding "Cougar Town" pretty darn funny.

and

I insisted that our new car (a couple years ago) have a cassette player so I could play my mix tapes.

veronica
02-17-2010, 11:04 PM

I just got a box delivered filled with them!:)

Nicsmom
02-17-2010, 11:08 PM

Me too!!!

Also,the other night I was at the mall with DH and as I said to him how horrified I was at the way some teenagers dress and talk, it hit me: I am old .

TwinFoxes
02-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Most of them don't know anything about culture (i.e.- who is U2??? :47:- just one of the best bands of all time!!! ;))

OK, I'm sorry but that's just being ignorant. Their song Vertigo was ALL OVER the iPod ads about 4 years ago. When I was in high school I could name bands from at least 10 years before...way more if you count bands like The Beatles!

LexyLou
02-17-2010, 11:13 PM

Me too. I can't believe this has happened to me.

BabyMine
02-17-2010, 11:16 PM
I have a hard time staying up past 10am.

I tell youngins that I was born before Al Gore invented the internet or even computers.

My favorite music is now on the oldies station.

I know use the line " I remember when...."

I can't remember where I put anything much less my keys.

I voted for Regan on a phone poll.

We had chords on the house phones.

I carried actual money with me instead of plastic.

DietCokeLover
02-17-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm so old that
.... losing weight is almost impossible (thanks old lady metabolism!)

.... I have no idea who anyone is on Top 40 charts.

... I can remember when a can of coke was $.35

.... when microwaves were the size of giant tv sets

Happy 2B mommy
02-17-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm so old, I have a bunion!

bubbaray
02-17-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm so old.... that I was born in the 70s!

Um, dude. I *wish* I was born in the '70s. Try the decade prior.

JBaxter
02-17-2010, 11:57 PM

hang with me sister 1967!

elliput
02-18-2010, 12:07 AM

:yeahthat:

I am old enough that I could have a child graduating from college.

zag95
02-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Bubbaray..... it's 72- so I'm not THAT young! The Vietnam War was still happening!

I have had a good laugh on this thread!:rotflmao:

What about TV sets that had dials and TVs with no color?!! Anyone remember watching the Mutual of Omaha shows? Here's a flashback..... "Solid Gold"... remember the dancers all dressed in gold?

salsah
02-18-2010, 12:13 AM
i didn't think that i am old until i read this thread. apparently, i'm old too.

lchang25000
02-18-2010, 12:15 AM

:yeahthat:Although I do know what Lady Gaga is saying and I LOVE her songs!! :D

Kestrel
02-18-2010, 12:31 AM
I was in middle school when MTV came out... we skipped 6th period to be sure to get home in time!

We got UP to change the channels on the TV.

We played outside.... unsupervised. And came home when it got dark.

TV dinners came in foil trays... and they were so cool!

Getting grapes or strawberries in the winter was unheard of.

I watched "Star Trek"" on TV.

Kyras mom
02-18-2010, 01:11 AM
When I was little, we had a black and white TV that had 13 channels on it.

I remember laying down in the back seat of the Lincoln while driving, never wore seat belts.

I remember sitting in the smoking section in planes with my dad. As soon as that no smoking light went off, EVERYONE lit up. Torture.

When I was little, I watched Kimba the White Lion, Wonderama, Zoom, The Banana Splits and the Monkees.

I remember passenger planes that had propellers.

I would listen to the radio and when a song came on that I liked, I would record it on to a cassette tape by holding it close to the speaker.

salsah
02-18-2010, 01:11 AM
i have never heard of lady gaga. (don't think that i ever heard her songs either.)

crl
02-18-2010, 02:43 AM
I'm so old that I remember US postage being 13 cents for a letter.

I'm so old that my grade school had ONE computer for the gifted kids class.

I'm so old that I can't wear 80s fashions this time around because I have horrid pictures of me in them the first time around.

Hello to anyone born in 1970!

Catherine

bluestar2
02-18-2010, 03:35 AM

Momit
02-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Anyone remember watching the Mutual of Omaha shows? Here's a flashback..... "Solid Gold"... remember the dancers all dressed in gold?

I loved "Solid Gold" - my dad would jokingly call it "Soiled Gold" and it made me so mad!

Right now my iPod is playing that song "1985" (...she was going to shake her @$$ on the hood of Whitesnake's car...) as I'm reading this thread and cracking up.

I have to confess to wearing parachute pants and a painter's cap covered with Duran Duran pins when I cruised The Mall. Sweet.

veronica
02-18-2010, 07:44 AM
I loved "Solid Gold" - my dad would jokingly call it "Soiled Gold" and it made me so mad!

I was in love with Andy Gibb!

My parents would let us stay up on Friday nights and camp out in the living room to watch Dallas!!! I would fall asleep during the theme song!

maestramommy
02-18-2010, 07:48 AM
I remember cassettes and vinyl records.

You laugh, but I offered to let a student borrow a record, and she didn't know what I was talking about for a minute. Then her face cleared, and she said, "Oh you mean those black round things?" This was over 10 years ago.

MoJo
02-18-2010, 07:52 AM
I'm so old that when we go to the antique malls, I see several things I remember from my childhood.

And I agree with the others: my favorite thing to do on Friday is go to bed early. And my elementary had one computer for all the gifted kids in the school. It was in a special room in the library, used cassette tapes for storage, and no one really knew anything about how to use it.

pastrygirl
02-18-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm so old that this thread is making me laugh!

I remember when Baskin-Robbins ice cream cones went up in price to 90 cents, and the old Carvel ice cream cake commercials (the whale and cookie puss). I loved Atari. And for those of you who also grew up in the NY area, I remember those "insane" Crazy Eddie commercials!

I totally remember TVs with dials and only 13 channels! I also remember our first TV that had a remote. The remote was HUGE!

egoldber
02-18-2010, 09:39 AM
i have never heard of lady gaga

The only reason I have heard of Lady Gaga is this board. :rotflmao:

We had an 8-track player.

I remember recording songs off the radio.

We also had a black&white TV that was basically furniture, it was built into it's own cabinet. And there was of course, no remote and only 13 channels, of which only about 7 actually had any reception.

My parents did not get a VCR until I was in college.

I remember weatching "filmstrips" and taking tests on "dittos" in school. It was a privilege to get to run the ditto machine for the teacher in the upper grades.

When the card catalog at the library was actually cards.

lmh2402
02-18-2010, 09:51 AM
i TOTALLY remember crazy eddie - i think he's in jail now...

i'm so old that in elementary school, i vividly remember collecting and trading stickers (extra props for the squishy ones with that iridescent blue/green stuff inside). and garbage pail kid cards.

my friends and i sought the newest and coolest plastic charms to go on our plastic link charm bracelets and necklaces

i remember singing the mcdonalds ad in the schoolyard to some weird hand game we used to play...Big Mac, Filet-O-Fish, Quarter Pounder, French Fries, Icy Coke, Thick Shakes, Sundaes, Apple Pie...

in junior high, i stayed fashionable...sporting a skirt with tights, but there were socks over those tights. before i slipped on my penny loafers...or perhaps the top siders...with the little leather things wrapped up into a little knot, rather than tied

i wonder if all my "old" memories are regional? i was definitely keeping pace with the rest of my classmates

oh...and i loved solid gold too!! and the cosby show. and family ties.

mommylamb
02-18-2010, 09:55 AM
I had never heard of Lady Gaga until I saw a picture of her meeting the queen a few months back... and I thought she was Madonna dressed up and that Madonna was now calling herself Lady Gaga (come on, it's plausible, right??). I still have no idea what she sings... and chances are I wouldn't like it anyway. Now, it's not like I don't like any of the music coming out these days, but give me Arcade Fire or The National any day...

ilfaith
02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
I remember how sad my friends and I were when Andy Gibb died...and we were in college.

As a kid we had a black and white TV (actually I had a small B&W set in my bedroom through high school) and phones with a rotary dial (I remember how it seemed to take forever to dial a number that had a lot of 8s, 9s or 0s)

And for those of you in the NYC area, remember the ever popular PIX call in game on WPIX (channel 11)?

1969 here.

lizzywednesday
02-18-2010, 10:05 AM

And for those of you who also grew up in the NY area, I remember those "insane" Crazy Eddie commercials!

YES!!! Those haunted my childhood! (Along with the freaky floating Cookie Puss commercials. Say what you want about Mr. Carvel, those commercials were awesome.)

Mine are the following:

I remember when
.... Michael Jackson wasn't a punchline
.... NKOTB actually stood for "New Kids on the Block"
.... Mark Wahlberg was "Marky Mark" of the Funky Bunch (I still call him Marky Mark, BTW)
.... Nirvana hit the airwaves
.... CDs came out (my music teacher played a recording of an airplane taking off and we all ducked; no joke)
.... the Challenger exploded
.... Mary Lou Retton was America's sweetheart (my brother Ger had a massive crush on her; he was 2)
.... Michael Jordan played basketball
.... Larry Byrd played basketball
.... you could get TV signals from an antenna mounted on your roof
.... the best cartoons were on Saturday mornings
.... the Ice Capades (not this "Disney on Ice" cr@p)
.... Gunther Gabel-Williams was the tiger-tamer in the Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus (my dad and I were so sad when he died; we loved the circus because of him)
.... the World Trade Center was bombed (one of my friends' moms worked there at the time)
.... Pan Am 103 exploded over Lockerbie
.... Mr. Rogers Neighborhood was making new episodes (RIP, Mr. R; I love you)
.... Sesame Street didn't have Elmo, Zoe or Abby Caddaby
.... Mr. Snuffleupagus was almost an imaginary friend for Big Bird
.... Jim Henson voiced Ernie and Kermit
.... Jim Henson was alive (I also remember being VERY sad when he died)
.... Lou Ferrigno was the Incredible Hulk
.... Cable was a luxury, not a necessity
.... a 14.4kbps modem was hot-snot
.... a 28.8 kbps modem was "high speed"
.... DSL was cutting edge
.... Turtle Logic was the coolest programming language ever (it's not; I reserve that for Perl)
... film strips, dittoes/ditto machines and carbon paper in school

I felt really old the first time I heard a Nirvana song on the Classic Rock station ... they were popular when I was in middle school; Kurt shot himself when I was a Freshman in high school.

The other day, I realized that my stepmom-to-be's younger daughter is half my age.

I also realized I've been friends with several people for over 25 years, haven't spoken to my high school ex-BF (and ex-BFFs) in probably 15 years and sometimes don't recognize my hometown because they've changed a few things around since I moved out.

(I would like to add that I am only going to be 32.)

Andi98989
02-18-2010, 10:11 AM

I consider our Honda Accord the "sporty" car.
:yeahthat: ... and I'm only 29. Yikes.

bcafe
02-18-2010, 10:16 AM
I have children born in 1989, 1991, 2002, 2005, 2008, and soon to be 2010. How's that for hitting the decades! (Sane hubby too!)

*13" black and white tv with the UHF station--anyone remember that?
*Party phone lines (with requisite long curly corded rotary dial phone)--oh how we loved to listen in on this one crabby lady
*Leif Garrett
*We had the original Grease album with all of the pictures inside the album cover
*I used a typewriter in college for all of my papers

lizzywednesday
02-18-2010, 10:22 AM
i TOTALLY remember crazy eddie - i think he's in jail now...

i'm so old that in elementary school, i vividly remember collecting and trading stickers (extra props for the squishy ones with that iridescent blue/green stuff inside). and garbage pail kid cards.

my friends and i sought the newest and coolest plastic charms to go on our plastic link charm bracelets and necklaces

i remember singing the mcdonalds ad in the schoolyard to some weird hand game we used to play...Big Mac, Filet-O-Fish, Quarter Pounder, French Fries, Icy Coke, Thick Shakes, Sundaes, Apple Pie...

in junior high, i stayed fashionable...sporting a skirt with tights, but there were socks over those tights. before i slipped on my penny loafers...or perhaps the top siders...with the little leather things wrapped up into a little knot, rather than tied

i wonder if all my "old" memories are regional? i was definitely keeping pace with the rest of my classmates

Yes, Crazy Eddie served time for bait-and-switch. Then he got out and did the EXACT.SAME.THING ... he's totally off the radar now.

When I was in the process of moving out of Dad's, I found my old sticker book.

LOL ... we did the "Eastland knot" on our shoes, too. [Until Sister Linda Marie banned Eastland (and similar moccasin-like) shoes from our school uniforms.]

I wanted one of those necklaces in THE worst way when I was 7 or 8 ... and was so proud when I finally got one!!!

How about jelly bracelets? Were those big with you? I think they were among the only things that we could wear with our uniforms without getting in trouble.

Oh and we also went through the friendship bracelet phase ... you know, the knotted embroidery floss ones.

What about 2 pairs of slouchy socks in coordinating colors at once? Most often paired with Keds (or knockoffs if your mom wouldn't buy you Keds) and tapered-leg jeans or leggings ... the memories are REALLY painful.

Big hair was a big deal with us starting in the 4th or 5th grade ... curled, teased and Aqua-Net-ed to death so it would stay up through the whole day. (I never bothered ... too much work for not enough payoff. Also, I couldn't bring myself to ask for Aqua Net. My GRANDMOTHER used Aqua Net!!!)

pastrygirl
02-18-2010, 10:26 AM
What about 2 pairs of slouchy socks in coordinating colors at once? Most often paired with Keds (or knockoffs if your mom wouldn't buy you Keds) and tapered-leg jeans or leggings ... the memories are REALLY painful.Even cooler if you alternated the colors on each leg!

I got one of those plastic chain necklaces... the school year AFTER they were popular and were no longer popular. What a dork!

mommylamb
02-18-2010, 10:30 AM
All this nostalgia makes me remember things like:

Olivia Newton John's Xanadu being a big part of my life
"friendship pins"
Chinese jump rope
the thrill of going to CVS to expand my sticker collection

Now, DH (age 42) is REALLY old. His first house didn't have a bathroom. They had an outhouse at the bottom of the yard, but they had to either take a bath in the kitchen sink, or go to his grandmother's house to bathe. Then again, England still had a lot of really old pre WWII housing without proper plumbing in the 60s and 70s.

jse107
02-18-2010, 10:35 AM
I could "ditto" so many of these--including: Lands End swimsuits, Crazy Eddie, Eastland knots, plastic link charm necklaces, jelly bracelets, sticker books, Garbage Pail kids, Sollid Gold, 13 Channels with UHF, filmstrips, card catalogs (with cards), Atari, and going to bed early.

I also will add:
No answering machines (on our corded phones)
No e-mail (came about in late college for me)
The advent of the Dodge minivan
French-cuffing jeans

I commented to DH that after watching the re-made "We are the World," I didn't know any of the performers excepts Jennifer Hudson and Celine Dion. I listen to country music, mostly because "I can understand what they're saying!" Sigh, this is exactly what my parents used to say about music!

alexsmommy
02-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I wear bathsuits that have skirts attached - and think they are cute.
I can stay up late, but I always let everyone know that the following night, I will be in bed by 9pm.
I see what DSD (16) wears and roll my eyes and think how ugly some of the trends are
Girls night out includes topics such as life insurance, sleep training, where to buy cute, practical, COMFY clothes (as opposeed to fashionable),managing our parents failing health, and which is better, mini-vans or 7 passenger suv's

JTsMom
02-18-2010, 10:58 AM
-The only reason I know who Lady Gaga is, is b/c Barbara Walters interviewed her. If you offered me $100, I couldn't name one song she sings.
-My Pac Man lunchbox was one of my most prized possessions. I watched the cartoon every Saturday morning.
-The first time I flew on a plane, I was a teenager. And that wasn't unusual.
-I remember learning how to write basic computer programs in middle and high school.
-One of my most exciting days as a little girl was when my parents bought a microwave (that was the size of my stove), and an Atari on the same day!!!! We had the game the system came with, and Pitfall, and we were hot stuff!
-We'd go roller skating (with 4 wheels), every weekend, and they'd pull out a big movie screen to show Thriller every week.
-I had a Dorothy Hamill haircut. CPS should probably have gotten involved. ;)

MamaMolly
02-18-2010, 11:03 AM
OMG. :eek: my first post got gobbled up by the Gods of the Internet (aka lousy connection) and so many of these posts have me feeling nostalgic or nodding along..

I'll just add:
I remember being so excited when my mom finally splurged and bought me a Trapper Keeper for schoolwork. It was green and had grey kittens on it.

Rolling the tv cart into the breakfast room (where we ate all meals) so we could watch the Presidential Address or The Wizard of Oz. The only 2 shows allowed on during dinner.

My mom's first microwave was so big we had to piece together wrapping paper to get the box covered!

My first cell phone came in a bag as big as a purse.

My dad used to put music on the 'reel to reel' because it was 'the best way to listen to music'. Much better than records. Just ask my Dad.

bcafe
02-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Oh, forgot one:Pong

Drag0nflygirl
02-18-2010, 11:12 AM
And for those of you in the NYC area, remember the ever popular PIX call in game on WPIX (channel 11)?

PIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPI XPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXP IXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIX PIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPI XPIXPIXPIXPIX!

Oh, and we had Pong for our TV. My mom took it off. She said it was "hurting the TV". More like I enjoyed the sound it made when I trapped the "ball' inbetween the two lines when playing tennis. I'm sure it made her want to tear her hair out!

dcmom2b3
02-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Now, DH (age 42) is REALLY old.

Easy there, Mommylamb! Some of us 42 year-olds are in denial, please don't confront us with reality. DD says that I'm eight, "just like she is" (not) and I think I just might go with it.

Otherwise I'd be so old that I remember a world without FedEx, faxes or computers (much less these here Internets), without lycra and with rear wheel drive cars with a "hump" for kids to stand on (so they could better see out the front windshield, of course). Houses with one phone, in the ktchen, connected to the wall. "Classic" rock being current top 40. Harvest color kitchen decor . . .

mommylamb
02-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Easy there, Mommylamb! Some of us 42 year-olds are in denial, please don't confront us with reality. .

Yes, but there's 42 and there's 42. I bet you didn't have to walk down to the bottom of the yard when you had to go the bathroom.

HIU8
02-18-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't know any songs on the radio other than country and oldies

I have no idea who lady gaga is and actually am not that curious about it

I just got a bathing suit with a wrap look in the middle to hid the tummy

I get sick on carnival rides (I never used to)

I can remember when we got our first computer with two 5 1/4 floppy drives, which my father returned when the first hard drive came out--still had the 5 1/4 floppy drive.

I used a typewriter for papers in high school

I had no idea Justice was a store for tween and teens and think the clothes are less than ok

mikeys_mom
02-18-2010, 01:02 PM
I was talking about the Olympics at work and mentioned that I still remember Greg Lougainis banging his head on the diving board at the 84 games in LA. One of the co-op students looked up and said that was before he was born!

lizzywednesday
02-18-2010, 01:08 PM
"friendship pins"

Were those the safety pins with beads on them that you'd wear on your sneaker?

lizzywednesday
02-18-2010, 01:08 PM
I was talking about the Olympics at work and mentioned that I still remember Greg Lougainis banging his head on the diving board at the 84 games in LA. One of the co-op students looked up and said that was before he was born!

That was '84? I thought that was '88/Seoul!

GlindaGoodWitch
02-18-2010, 01:15 PM
LOL at Crazy Eddie & PIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIX!

Minnifer
02-18-2010, 01:18 PM
LOL at Crazy Eddie & PIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIXPIX!

OMG OMG OMG!!! Not only do I remember these, I LIVED them - and I used to work at Crazy Eddie as a cashier during college! :ROTFLMAO:

mikeys_mom
02-18-2010, 01:19 PM
That was '84? I thought that was '88/Seoul!

Oops! Yes, you are right. I guess memory loss comes with old age as well.:p

mommylamb
02-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Were those the safety pins with beads on them that you'd wear on your sneaker?

They are indeed!

AnnieW625
02-18-2010, 01:22 PM

I can't wait to get together with my friends to find out what moisturizer they put on at night

With the exception of the tweezers (I prefer to wax my brows) I am right there with you. I am 32, but sometimes I feel like the oldest 32 yr. old out there. I haven't shopped at Express on a regular basis in 10 yrs. Veronica, come and visit a wonderful message board called Beauty Bling for makeup/skincare talk:)

Greg Louganis was 88 at the Seoul games. I feel soo ancient that I actually still have really fond memories of the 84 (Mary Lou Retton was coined by Jim McKay as being the little engine that could!), and it probably helped that they were in LA so there was a CA connection, and the Olympic pool from the 84 games is in my home town now; and 88 games (Janet Evans from the summer, and Katarina Witt from the winter games!)

maestramommy
02-18-2010, 03:50 PM
The only reason I have heard of Lady Gaga is this board. :rotflmao:

Mua ha ha! Same here!

I remember weatching "filmstrips" and taking tests on "dittos" in school. It was a privilege to get to run the ditto machine for the teacher in the upper grades.

When the card catalog at the library was actually cards.

I LOVED the smell of ditto ink. I remember in 7th grade the ditto machine was right behind my desk, and I kept inhaling while the machine was running:p

I thought the card catalog was very cool, so logical, y'know? Sometimes I still have trouble with the computer catalog.

egoldber
02-18-2010, 03:54 PM
I loved the card catalog and I really miss it. :) In 7th grade (my elementary went K-7) I got out of classes for a week to help the librarian inventory the books and the card catalog. I loved finding miss-filed cards and putting them back in order. There was something so soothing about that. :ROTFLMAO:

arivecchi
02-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, it isn't me (yet) but we celebrated DH's 40th birthday tonight with friends. There were so many candles, it looked like an inferno, and we had to open the windows to clear the smoke before taking a picture.:hysterical: This made me laugh out loud.

I feel old when:

I go out at night and see a bunch of care-free twentysomethings out and about and I think "Ah, I remember those days".

I try to explain my age to DS1 and he just looks puzzled. Anything over 20 is hard to explain.

I keep getting e-mails about my 20th HS class reunion, my 15th college class reunion, my 10th law school class reunion. Thanks for all the aging reminders people.

I get FB invites from old acquaintances and it takes me a while to remember who they are.

I realize that I spend a lot of my time on a parenting board! :)

maylips
02-18-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm now old enough that when I hear a remake on the radio, I can remember when the original was released.

KpbS
02-18-2010, 04:14 PM
I would listen to the radio and when a song came on that I liked, I would record it on to a cassette tape by holding it close to the speaker.

Oh, we totally did this---fun memories!

KpbS
02-18-2010, 04:17 PM
I loved the card catalog and I really miss it. :) In 7th grade (my elementary went K-7) I got out of classes for a week to help the librarian inventory the books and the card catalog. I loved finding miss-filed cards and putting them back in order. There was something so soothing about that. :ROTFLMAO:

I loved the smell of those old cards in the wooden boxes. I haven't been back to the library from my childhood but it's hard to imagine they aren't there. :(

momof2girls
02-18-2010, 04:21 PM
The office I orked at part time at 16 introduced the "World Wide Web" to everyone. Everyone refered to it as the "World WIde Web" for at least a year and the company only had one email adress via compuserve and it was a looong series on number and periods!

mommylamb
02-18-2010, 04:22 PM
The office I orked at part time at 16 introduced the "World Wide Web" to everyone. Everyone refered to it as the "World WIde Web" for at least a year and the company only had one email adress via compuserve and it was a looong series on number and periods!

Remember when it was called The Information Superhighway?

egoldber
02-18-2010, 04:26 PM
And I remember in college having to go to campus to use a terminal to access the university mainframe. Only a couple people I knew had PCs. In fact, my DH taught me how to use a PC and word processing software (WordStar!). Otherwise, I used a typewriter for all my papers.

The flipside of that was I got very good at improvising new sentences on the fly when I had accidentally mistyped vs correcting the mistake.

mommylamb
02-18-2010, 04:30 PM
My got my first computer (as in mine, not a shared family computer) when I was 18 and going to college. It was an old Mac Powerbook. Its screan had 15 shades of grey, which was so cool because it was more complex than black and white. I don't think it had a hard drive to speak of, and of course the internet/email wasn't even around then. But it cost $1700!!!

momof2girls
02-18-2010, 04:43 PM
My parents had to pay $5500 (cost of the credits) for me and my sister to both take a computer course in college (1993) and they taught us how to program using DOS. What a waste of $$$!

cvanbrunt
02-18-2010, 05:23 PM
I've been subscribing to Rolling Stone since the 80s. I used to skip all the politics and read the music/culture stuff. Now its the reverse. I am only aware that Lady Gaga (what kind of dumbass name is that anyway?) exists because she was on the cover.

mommylamb
02-18-2010, 05:26 PM
So how long has Lady Gaga been around for anyway? As I mentioned in a previous post, I only first heard of her a month or so ago when she met the Queen, and I thought she was Madonna calling herself by a new name.

almostamom
02-18-2010, 05:30 PM
hang with me sister 1967!

Let's form a secret spin-off group - 1967 here too!!

Linda

arivecchi
02-18-2010, 05:33 PM
So how long has Lady Gaga been around for anyway? As I mentioned in a previous post, I only first heard of her a month or so ago when she met the Queen, and I thought she was Madonna calling herself by a new name. Girl! Even DS1 knows Lady Gaga! I get requests for Poker Face and Paparazzi as soon as we get in the car. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Gaga

almostamom
02-18-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm so old that ...

I typed all of my college papers on a typewriter. No one in the dorms had a computer.

I remember when Reagan was shot.

The students from my first year of teaching elementary school are approaching 30.

I had an 8-track player.

I buy shoes for comfort. (I've turned into my grandmother!)

Linda

mommylamb
02-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Girl! Even DS1 knows Lady Gaga! I get requests for Poker Face and Paparazzi as soon as we get in the car. :)

Again, I admit to being a total nerd, living under a rock, etc.

happy2bamom
02-18-2010, 05:47 PM

I'm with you sister !!

arivecchi
02-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Again, I admit to being a total nerd, living under a rock, etc. LOL! I'm sorry. I just could not resist. ;) Nerd here as well, but have DS1 to keep me up to date. :)

MichelleRC
02-18-2010, 06:02 PM
A big ol' "Yeah That" to pretty much everything. I totally remember Crazy Eddie, WPIX, Wonderama, Cookie Puss, the card catalog and dittos. How about carbon paper?

-I have vivid memories of the 1976 Presidential election.
-My first computer was a Commodore 64.
I did get a Mac in college but it was the very first model and did not even have a hard drive. It did, however, come with a dot matrix printer.
-We had a black and white tv with an antenna that we used to play Pong on.
-I remember my parents had a "stereo" that was basically a record player inside a giant wooded cabinet.
-I used to wear more than one Swatch watch at a time.
-I wore leg warmers
-I went to the roller rink with a giant comb sticking out of the pocket of my Jordache jeans.
-I could not wait to read my "Dynamite" magazine every month.
-I made sure i had pennies in my cordovan penny loafers and nickels in my black ones
-Phone calls cost a dime

-I love my Lands End skirted swimsuits and my "comfort shoes".
-I have moved to the "anti-aging" category when shopping for skincare.
-Some of my co-workers were born AFTER I graduated from High School.

Sigh.
My husband is way ahead of me and already has his AARP card!! Good for discounts though, LOL!

mommylamb
02-18-2010, 07:52 PM
LOL! I'm sorry. I just could not resist. ;) Nerd here as well, but have DS1 to keep me up to date. :)

:kisscheek: no offense taken at all!

citymama
02-18-2010, 08:11 PM

:ROTFLMAO:Oh wait, I shouldn't laugh. This is me to a T!

Even worse is that I first heard about Lady Gaga on NPR and frequently get my pop culture updates from the New York Times. Oh dear. Old lady alert!

KrisM
02-18-2010, 08:12 PM
:yeahthat:

I am old enough that I could have a child graduating from college.

When my mom was my current age, I was in college.

I was, however, born in the 1970s. Barely.

trentsmom
02-18-2010, 09:22 PM
I LOVED the smell of ditto ink. I remember in 7th grade the ditto machine was right behind my desk, and I kept inhaling while the machine was running:p

Oh, yes! The smell of dittos! There is a scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High where everyone sniffs the test that has just been passed out. I bet anyone younger who watches that has no idea what's going on!

trentsmom
02-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Hello to anyone born in 1970!

:waving4:

This thread is bringing back all kinds of memories!

Did anyone else have Super TV? That's what we had before cable reached us. It was a converter box, and I think they only showed movies.

alexmommy
02-18-2010, 09:37 PM
I remember when:

Mt St Helen's blew
Cyndi Lauper was popular, also Tiffany
all of the cool kids had neon pink/green/blue/orange/yellow clothes
everyone had a Cabbage Patch kid
my parents' first computer was a one-piece Kaypro, black/orange or black/green, we played a PacMan knockoff. It had a handle for portability.
My mom spent $400 on a CD player for my dad
My parents debated the merits of getting a VHS or Beta VCR
All phones were landline
I didn't use the internet until college.
I memorized all the commands for WP51 in my high school computer class.
Valley girl talk was cool
The best TV shows were Facts of Life, Diff'rnt Strokes, Three's Company, and Silver Spoons (Ricky Schroeder was cute!)
Oh, I forgot MacGyver--I had a huge crush on him.
I got my own kiddie record player.
Olive, almond, and orange were acceptable colors for decorating
I learned to type on a typewriter.
I was so excited about the 1984 Olympics being in my state--we got our first TV for the occasion.
I would watch He-Man and She-Ra when my parents were out of the house.
I used to tie my long t-shirts using a special buckle and think I was so stylish.

Yeah, good times.
Nowadays I long to be in bed asleep before 10PM. A perfect weekend evening would involve a quiet house (DS asleep), hot chocolate, a warm blanket and my favorite book. I walk by the juniors section and wonder why anyone in their right mind would actually by that stuff. I noticed I am developing some lines in my face. I am married to a man with a few (not many) gray hairs, but I still think he's hot.

Nooknookmom
02-18-2010, 10:03 PM
That I lost the super long post I did last night b/c I STILL can't figure out my new phone, possible senility.

That I am pretty darn close to "middle age" pertaining to me.

That I have gray hair in places I didn't know you could get gray hair.

That when I see 20somethings dressed "trashy", I forget that not so long ago, I dressed worse.

That Jon Bon Jovi will be 50 in two years. Yep, that's right. 50. Waaaay back in the dark ages (1980's folks) when I was obsessed, he was like 20something & I thought he was "old" then. Which now makes my a$$ really really old.

veronica
02-18-2010, 10:13 PM
That Jon Bon Jovi will be 50 in two years. Yep, that's right. 50. Waaaay back in the dark ages (1980's folks) when I was obsessed, he was like 20something & I thought he was "old" then. Which now makes my a$$ really really old.

I spy a Bon Jovi fan.....he, he, I celebrate his bday on March 2 every year-yes, I'm a huge dork. By celebrate, I mean that I light a candle and sing some songs unil DH rolls his eyes at me (pretty much instantly!). It's a joke around here.

ThreeofUs
02-18-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm so old that I say things like, "30 years ago we used to...." or I'll remember a funny story - and then realize the chuckles were over 20 years ago.

OMG.

melrose7
02-18-2010, 10:38 PM
When we got a VCR we had a choice to record ONE show at a time and had to wait til the show was over to watch it.

Bugs Bunny was a great Saturday morning cartoon

I had email in college but my mom didn't even know how to turn the computer on yet so she still wrote me letters.

We use to record tapes to send messages to my Grandma that lived in Florida, since we didn't have free long distance on cell phones to talk all we wanted.

We use to watch home movies that didn't have sound and had a bright light shining on you when they were recording.

The first baby I watched at my babysitting job has graduated from college and has his own kid.

Corie
02-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Girl! Even DS1 knows Lady Gaga! I get requests for Poker Face and Paparazzi as soon as we get in the car. :)

Both my kids sing Bad Romance.

BabyMine
02-19-2010, 12:01 AM
I love Lady Gaga. She is so talented. She also talks about how she was teased in school about her apperance. I keep up on music as much as I can.

We had Colecovision at our house. My BFF had Atari.

We had a green and brown station wagon. We would all get in the back and roll around and play while the car was moving.

Station wagons were more abundant than minivans.

The TV "clicker" only had 3 buttons and actually clicked when you pressed it.

The TV had to be on the floor becasue it was too heavy and big to put anywhere else.

I learned DOS in middle school.

My mom could let me out of the house all day and never be afraid that anyone would abduct me.

The happy meal was invented.

I miss the good ole' days.:crying:

I flew on Pan Am a couple years after the explosion over lokerbie.

Kyras mom
02-19-2010, 02:16 AM
I just thought of a couple more:

I remember the mimeographs (ancient type of copy machine) we would get in school with the purple printing, and it was usually blurry.

I loved the cartoon with the two crows Heckle and Jeckle.

Nooknookmom
02-19-2010, 03:37 AM
I spy a Bon Jovi fan.....he, he, I celebrate his bday on March 2 every year-yes, I'm a huge dork. By celebrate, I mean that I light a candle and sing some songs unil DH rolls his eyes at me (pretty much instantly!). It's a joke around here.

Guess that makes me a dork too! DH likes to make fun of him (green-eyed monster) until I remind him who has more dough!

I took DD1 to her 1st BJ show when she was 6.

Dd2's middle name is Jovie. DH saw it in the movie Elf, I like the mental image I get :)

Glad I'm not alone in dorkdom!

lchang25000
02-19-2010, 10:02 AM
I love Lady Gaga. She is so talented. She also talks about how she was teased in school about her apperance. I keep up on music as much as I can.

:yeahthat:She said she felt like a freak in high school and now is glad she can express herself in a way so she can "help people who feel like that to be free from their fears and also make them feel they can create their own space in the world" (got that from her Barbara Walters interview). I love watching her interviews and finding out little surprising tidbits about her. She's been playing the piano since age 4 and wrote songs for other big-time artists and writes all her songs herself.

egoldber
02-19-2010, 10:05 AM
I keep up on music as much as I can.

And honestly, I have never been that into music. If it's on, I'll listen, but I prefer my NPR. ;)

lizzywednesday
02-19-2010, 10:08 AM
...She said she felt like a freak in high school and now is glad she can express herself in a way so she can "help people who feel like that to be free from their fears and also make them feel they can create their own space in the world" (got that from her Barbara Walters interview).

She's also big with the LGBT community because of that, according to all my LGBT friends.

I may admire and even respect that, but I still couldn't pick her out of a lineup.

hellokitty
02-19-2010, 10:59 AM
I know there are ppl older than me here, but here's my list.

I'm so old that...

I used to ride in the back of the station wagon with my friends and siblings w/o any seat belts.

I remember shows like CHIPS and Buck Rogers.

We used to watch B&W educational films in elementary school that must have been made in the 50's.

We used to play with lawn darts, yes the kind that have now been banned, in fact my parents still have them in the garage.

I remember my parents' 8 track player and they still have it, b/c it is built into their groovy bed. They have a full set of Elvis tapes to go with it, covered in 5 inches of solidified dust.

I had a metal lunchbox.

veronica
02-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Guess that makes me a dork too! DH likes to make fun of him (green-eyed monster) until I remind him who has more dough!

I took DD1 to her 1st BJ show when she was 6.

Dd2's middle name is Jovie. DH saw it in the movie Elf, I like the mental image I get :)

Glad I'm not alone in dorkdom!

:yay: OMG! I must talk to DH and have another baby soon! That is awesome. I remember the name in the Elf movie too and loved it there.

I worked at the hospital in NJ where he and his wife had their kids. I was at work when they checked out with their last son. I am an accountant and begged to put on a white coat to wheel them out......of course, I was denied. They give out full size candy bars at Halloween and I could'nt convince DH to go with me.......now we live in South Jersey and my chances of meeting have all but dissappeared.....

DD's 2's name is amazing-just don't have more kids and use Tico or Richie!;)

mom_hanna
02-20-2010, 12:44 AM
I totally remember TVs with dials and only 13 channels! I also remember our first TV that had a remote. The remote was HUGE!

I remember our first remote came with our new VCR. It was ATTACHED with a cord! and we still thought it was so cool.

I took a geology class at the University a few years back for fun. We started talking about Mount St. Helens and the other students were either not even born, or just babies when it erupted.

I learned to type on a manual typewriter and it was a huge deal to get an electric typewriter for Christmas.

My family's first computer was an Apple with like a 5" screen and we used McWrite and McDraw.

I remember the bicentennial (1976) and going to a festival on July 4th to celebrate.

I feel old.

becca_g
02-20-2010, 01:46 PM
DH and I were at a local flea market and overheard a preteen asking her mother what a certain item was.

Mom's reply (enunciated very slowly and clearly as if daughter might not understand): "Oh, honey, that's a typewriter."

Can you believe it???

ladysoapmaker
02-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Okay thanks, I was in denial. Our oldest will be in high school next year, he just signed up for classes. Really I'm not that old I'm in the cusp of the bottom of the Gen X generation.

Our first computer was a TRS-80 and the only reason it was in color is we had a color TV. The only reason we had a color tv was so we could watch the Wizard of Oz properly. My next computer was a 286 w/out a hard drive. I think my first modem was a 2400 baud modem. I still use keyboard shortcut commands on the computer. (Showed DS#1 ctrl-c for copy and he said "oh so that's what that's for in the menu." It drives me nuts seeing people taking the time to find the proper command through the menus.) In middle school we learned to type on Apple IIc and in HS we were able to get on BBSs with an modem that you had to place the headset of a phone into. MUDs were popular my freshman year in college. The next year or two AOL came out.

A few years ago I realized I was old when I was playing heavy metal on the radio in my automobile full blast with the windows down and realized I was in a minivan.

I remember Jelly shoes, the ones they have now are so much nice then the ones i grew up with.

I could add more but most of you have added stuff I would have already.

Jen

viba424
02-20-2010, 04:11 PM
i would listen to the radio and when a song came on that i liked, i would record it on to a cassette tape by holding it close to the speaker.

yesss!!!! :rotflmao:

lizzywednesday
02-20-2010, 04:51 PM

I remember shows like CHIPS and Buck Rogers

When I was a very little kid, maybe 3 or 4, I used to pretend I was Tweekie and Dad was Buck. When Mom asked if that made her Wilma Dering, I said no, she was Doctor Yur. (Mom loves to tell this story.)

Fast forward to me in 2002: I met Erin Grey at a SciFi convention when DH and I started dating.

It was all I could do not to blurt out "when I was a little kid I wanted to grow up and BE you" ... there's just no non-creepy way to say that, but I totally wanted to. I just couldn't talk! This was Wilma Dering! OMG!!!

She is a lovely person, inside and out. I should be so lucky to age that gracefully.

Apparently, Gil Gerard was going to be speaking at the same convention, but we had to go home so we wouldn't run into Jets game traffic. *sigh*