PDA

View Full Version : Stroller for WDW, newborn

LD92599
02-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I want to register for a stroller to be used in Disney and also as a spare stroller for DH's car (2010 Vista will be our main stroller).

We're possibly looking at November for a week in WDW so the baby would be ~4 months. Baby would have a seat on the plane.

Stroller ideas please!

WatchingThemGrow
02-17-2010, 10:58 PM
A friend took our Triumph to WDW for 5 days when her 3rd baby was 4m. She said it worked out great to have that plus an Ergo.

lareigna
02-17-2010, 11:07 PM
A Zippy or a Chicco Liteway would do the trick. Both have very deep reclines. I really like the Liteway for Disney. It even has a basket that converts into a backpack which is awesome for when you have to get on the ride and don't want to leave your stuff behind. The Zippy fold is great for getting on the monorail.

bubbaray
02-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Peg Perego P3 or Zippy (or Chicco C1 if you can find one, though they are discontinued). All have steps for your older child to ride on if you need it, take infant seats, have great canopies and flat reclines & plush padding for a newborn.

My P3 will be my last stroller that you'll have to pry out of my cold dead hands.

Jelly Bean
02-18-2010, 11:42 AM
What about a Maclaren Easy Traveler that you can snap your car seat into? 10 lbs, excellent snap and go stroller, great quality, huge basket, steers like a dream, umbrella fold...we've flown with it several times and checked it at the gate in a red JL Childress Gate Check bag. Excellent!

strollerqueen
02-18-2010, 12:48 PM
What about a Maclaren Easy Traveler that you can snap your car seat into? 10 lbs, excellent snap and go stroller, great quality, huge basket, steers like a dream, umbrella fold...we've flown with it several times and checked it at the gate in a red JL Childress Gate Check bag. Excellent!

But then you would have no seat/bed for your baby??? A lot of peds are saying you shouldn't leave infants in car seats more than 20 minutes at a time. So you should get a real stroller with a flat recline, and then just stick the car seat in there briefly.

malibelle
02-18-2010, 01:24 PM
We are planning on taking our soon to be son to Disney in Sept, he will be about 6 months old. I plan on using the Babyjogger citi mini. It will be great for the bus trips and it will lay flat if he is sleeping. We just love the quick fold for the buses and its not that heavy.

TwoBees
02-18-2010, 01:32 PM
How does the Liteway compare to a Mac?

malibelle
02-18-2010, 01:34 PM
We are getting the Baby Jogger Citi mini for our travel stroller. I plan to take our soon to be sone to Disney in Sept hopefully and us the BJCM. We just love the quick fold for the buses and it does recline back for when he will be sleeping. I can't wait to try it out. I know there are some stroller rental companies down in Disney and thats the stroller they rent so it must be good for the parks.

liamsmom
02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
I have a Chicco Liteway which I use as my car/travel/mall stroller. I got it since it is cheaper than a Mac and has a full recline. I found it on Amazon for about $100. It is noticeably heavier than a Mac, at 17 lbs, but much less tippy. I can hang a diaper bag over the handles and it won't tip even if the stroller is empty. It has a similar fold to the Mac, but a bigger canopy. Not a huge canopy, but certainly bigger than macs. What I love about it is its 7" wheels. It has great maneuverability and rear suspension and is easy to push.

Of course, were something bad to happen to it, I'd probably get a mac to replace it, since I don't really need all of its features anymore. HTH!

OP: I think the Liteway is a really good choice for WDW. It doesn't have the awesome fold of the Zippy, but nothing else does.

PGTB
02-18-2010, 04:26 PM
But then you would have no seat/bed for your baby??? A lot of peds are saying you shouldn't leave infants in car seats more than 20 minutes at a time. So you should get a real stroller with a flat recline, and then just stick the car seat in there briefly.

The peds must be crazy or living in some imaginary world... 20 min at a time? What are you supposed to do when you have a long drive with your infant or have to take an infant on a cross-country or international flight where they would be stuck in the infant car seat for quite a few hours? Are you supposed to take them out of the car seat every 20 min? For how long? Sorry to derail the thread, but this seems unrealistic given that even most local drives/errand shopping trips are well over 20 min.

LD92599
02-18-2010, 05:15 PM

Yeah this is something i don't want to do! I checked out the 2 Peg lightweights today and the BJCM. How are some of the Combi's these days? i had one for DS for a Disney Cruise when he was 7 months and it was perfect but i've since sold it.

arivecchi
02-18-2010, 05:29 PM
The peds must be crazy or living in some imaginary world... 20 min at a time? What are you supposed to do when you have a long drive with your infant or have to take an infant on a cross-country or international flight where they would be stuck in the infant car seat for quite a few hours? Are you supposed to take them out of the car seat every 20 min? For how long? Sorry to derail the thread, but this seems unrealistic given that even most local drives/errand shopping trips are well over 20 min. I agree with Strollerqueen. Car seats are for cars (or air travel) and people overuse them (incorrectly I may add - loose harnesses, for jogging, etc.) so much that I wish they did not make them compatible with so many items. I would not stick a baby in a car seat in WDW. I would take a Mac Techno or a BJCM and an Ergo. If I could I would actually ban infant car seats altogether. Muaaaaaawwwwww (evil laugh). :)

PGTB
02-18-2010, 06:06 PM
I agree with Strollerqueen. Car seats are for cars (or air travel) and people overuse them (incorrectly I may add - loose harnesses, for jogging, etc.) so much that I wish they did not make them compatible with so many items. I would not stick a baby in a car seat in WDW. I would take a Mac Techno or a BJCM and an Ergo. If I could I would actually ban infant car seats altogether. Muaaaaaawwwwww (evil laugh). :)

I agree that if you use a car seat as the one and only seat for an infant, it's an overuse. They are for travel, that's why I am so adamant about getting a full featured stroller with the bassinet/reversible fully reclined seat.

I am just not sure what to do when you actually DO use this for travel - e.g. you actually are having your infant inside the car or airplane, but the ride tends to be way over 20 min. Any airline ride would be by default over 20 min and in addition you have plenty of time before and after when the baby is still kept in the infant seat (e.g. transport to and from the airport, security line, etc). So, when you travel anywhere by plane you by default expose your baby to the car seat for much much longer than what peds apparently recommend... Most likely when taking a cross country or international flight you would expose your baby to the car seat for the entire day.

Then there are long drives to get to the far away places. Then there are errand drives that can become long especially if you are stuck in traffic. then there are short errand drives where the baby is sleeping and you don't want to take them out of the seat to put them into a stroller to take inside the store. Ok, I would do it for the sake of the baby and put them into the baby carrier while actually shopping, but there is not much I can do about long drives or airline travel. You simply cannot avoid keeping your child in a car seat for quite a long time in some situations. It's simply not realistic to avoid car seats as much as I hate them myself. That is a part of a pain of traveling with your little ones..

I grew up when we didn't have car seats or even seatbelts, I guess things were simpler back then, but today you would be arrested for this type of thing.

arivecchi
02-18-2010, 06:11 PM
I think it is ok to have them longer in the infant bucket if you are travelling, etc. That should be the exception though. I think SQ's point is that one should not rely on an infant car seat in places like WDW when your DC could be perfectly happy and comfy in a stroller where they can lay flat to sleep and strech out. Good for you for looking for a stroller with full recline!