PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait...?

LoveBeingMrs
02-18-2010, 08:40 AM
We have the 2010 Vista, and we love it. It's perfect for weekends and long walks with DH and our puppy. However, it's a bit cumbersome to take it in and out of the car- I don't think I would be able to do it myself while holding the baby (FTM). So, we were thinking about getting a second stroller that's lightweight for when I'm running errands. I've narrowed it down to Maclaren Techno XLR or XT. We'll most likely go with the XLR for the plush seat and one-handed recline mechanism (soo many moms have told me this is a MUST).

Question now is, should we wait to buy it until the baby is older or just get it now? I think I'd get the most 'bang for my buck' if I bought it now, since the Mac Technos can be used from birth, and it'd be useful for trips to the pediatrician. Plus, the 2010 XLR hasn't changed from the 2009 model, so it wouldn't make a difference if I waited. It's just a lot of $$ to spend on baby gear, especially since we already have the Vista. I'd really appreciate some feedback- it's so helpful to hear about other moms' experiences! Thanks! :)

MoJo
02-18-2010, 08:50 AM
I don't have any idea what anyone else does. . . but for car trips involving the stroller, I always leave DD in her carseat while I get the stroller out of the trunk and open it. Then I secure her back into her carseat before re-folding the stroller and returning it to the trunk. I've never tried to do any of that while holding the baby/toddler.

HTH!

LoveBeingMrs
02-18-2010, 08:59 AM
I don't have any idea what anyone else does. . . but for car trips involving the stroller, I always leave DD in her carseat while I get the stroller out of the trunk and open it. Then I secure her back into her carseat before re-folding the stroller and returning it to the trunk. I've never tried to do any of that while holding the baby/toddler.

HTH!

Oops! I probably should've made that more clear... we live in a condo with a community indoor garage. There are steps to/from the garage (no ramp :irked:), so I have to carry the stroller and the carseat up/down- hard to do with the heavier Vista.

Also, I meant that it makes no difference to wait until the 2010 model comes out, because since it's exactly the same as the 2009, I don't think they'll be marked down.

WatchingThemGrow
02-18-2010, 09:06 AM
We had a Cameleon and ended up getting a Triumph when DD was 3m old. It seemed reasonable $$wise, use-wise, and we're still using it 3y later with no issues.

Leave the baby in the carseat while you set up/take down the stroller. And, do you need to carry your carseat and stroller inside the house for some reason? We leave ours in the car. When we're going for a neighborhood walk, we just stick the baby in the carseat (not fully buckled) and set up the stroller. You could do that with the dog by just putting your foot on the dog leash as you set up the stroller.

LoveBeingMrs
02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
We had a Cameleon and ended up getting a Triumph when DD was 3m old. It seemed reasonable $$wise, use-wise, and we're still using it 3y later with no issues.

Leave the baby in the carseat while you set up/take down the stroller. And, do you need to carry your carseat and stroller inside the house for some reason? We leave ours in the car. When we're going for a neighborhood walk, we just stick the baby in the carseat (not fully buckled) and set up the stroller. You could do that with the dog by just putting your foot on the dog leash as you set up the stroller.

GREAT to hear that you're getting good use out of both strollers! :D

I plan on leaving the Mac in the car for errands and such. We'd keep the Vista inside our place (community garage), so that we could use it during weekends and for long walks (separate entrance/exit from garage).

chozen
02-18-2010, 09:54 AM
imo i say get it now, i bought a bjce and while i love that stroller it is also heavy. i thought the same thing about a second stroller for car and held off for over a year and i finally ordered mac xt yest. i really wish i would have bought it right away! it would have saved me alot of frustration.

Jelly Bean
02-18-2010, 11:20 AM
I would definitely get an umbrella type stroller now. We have a Vista as well and a Maclaren Quest. I found the XLR way too heavy to be considered an alternative to the Vista. The other thing you might want to consider is a Maclaren Easy Traveler (snap and go) for while your baby is in the car seat. I left mine in my trunk all the time - snap in the car seat and go! Now that she's out of the infant seat, the Quest now lives in my trunk. HTH!

LoveBeingMrs
02-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I would definitely get an umbrella type stroller now. We have a Vista as well and a Maclaren Quest. I found the XLR way too heavy to be considered an alternative to the Vista. The other thing you might want to consider is a Maclaren Easy Traveler (snap and go) for while your baby is in the car seat. I left mine in my trunk all the time - snap in the car seat and go! Now that she's out of the infant seat, the Quest now lives in my trunk. HTH!

I was considering the Quest, but there's a pretty significant height difference between DH and me (7 inches)- I like that the XLR has adjustable handles. The XLR is supposed to be only 16.5 lbs (4 lbs heavier than the Quest, and ~10 lbs lighter than the Vista), but it did feel a lot heavier in stores!

chozen
02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
I was considering the Quest, but there's a pretty significant height difference between DH and me (7 inches)- I like that the XLR has adjustable handles. The XLR is supposed to be only 16.5 lbs (4 lbs heavier than the Quest, and ~10 lbs lighter than the Vista), but it did feel a lot heavier in stores!

you could get the maclaren xt it is alittle smaller then the xlr and the handles do adjust, i just bought one finally!

LoveBeingMrs
02-18-2010, 11:47 AM
imo i say get it now, i bought a bjce and while i love that stroller it is also heavy. i thought the same thing about a second stroller for car and held off for over a year and i finally ordered mac xt yest. i really wish i would have bought it right away! it would have saved me alot of frustration.

Awesome! Let me know how you like the XT! :) I was considering the XT, but some of the moms that I talked to said that a one-handed recline mechanism is a "must".

chozen
02-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Awesome! Let me know how you like the XT! :) I was considering the XT, but some of the moms that I talked to said that a one-handed recline mechanism is a "must".

for me one hand recline is not such a big deal, to others it might be.i know i needed adj. handles and i also really wanted a mac the steering is awesome and they are so well made. im not sure if the peg perego si stroller is a one hand recline that may be another choice for you.

AnnieW625
02-18-2010, 03:18 PM
If you wait much longer than say 6 mos., and know it's just going to be a travel or rarely used quick errand stroller then I would just get the Triumph. I think the Quest is nice and I know friends who have it, but honestly for me it's either the Triumph or the Techno. The Triumph (at least my model year has a one hand recline; it's a clip) Now the Techno of course has the flippable vented sun shade (the Triumph no longer flips forward:(), full recline, and the extendable handles, which are nice. It also has a full suspension so if you think you will end up using the Techno more for everyday things than the Vista then get it. I will say again and have said in the past that I wish I would've just bought the Techno from the beginning, but our Triumph was our main everyday/travel/mall/drs. office (till around the time DD was 2/1/2) keep in trunk stroller (and really still is) and has been since beginning when DD was 3 mos. old, and is still going strong and DD will be 4 in less than 2 months. It was hands down the best $130 or so I spent on a baby item. I love my Vista too and I know I'll love it for walking/mall/drs. office (w/carseat attachment) or for walks to the park ((1/4 mile from our house) w/toddler board for DD) but for #2, but my Triumph will most likely end up being our stroller champ again with #2.

LoveBeingMrs
02-19-2010, 11:12 AM
If you wait much longer than say 6 mos., and know it's just going to be a travel or rarely used quick errand stroller then I would just get the Triumph. I think the Quest is nice and I know friends who have it, but honestly for me it's either the Triumph or the Techno. The Triumph (at least my model year has a one hand recline; it's a clip) Now the Techno of course has the flippable vented sun shade (the Triumph no longer flips forward:(), full recline, and the extendable handles, which are nice. It also has a full suspension so if you think you will end up using the Techno more for everyday things than the Vista then get it. I will say again and have said in the past that I wish I would've just bought the Techno from the beginning, but our Triumph was our main everyday/travel/mall/drs. office (till around the time DD was 2/1/2) keep in trunk stroller (and really still is) and has been since beginning when DD was 3 mos. old, and is still going strong and DD will be 4 in less than 2 months. It was hands down the best $130 or so I spent on a baby item. I love my Vista too and I know I'll love it for walking/mall/drs. office (w/carseat attachment) or for walks to the park ((1/4 mile from our house) w/toddler board for DD) but for #2, but my Triumph will most likely end up being our stroller champ again with #2.

Thanks for your response, Annie! It seems as if we're on the same page in terms of strollers (Vista + Mac). :D

jenny
02-20-2010, 10:55 PM
I have a Quest and just ordered the 2010 Vista b/c I need a stroller that will do everything that the mac can't do: like go over snow!

I've seen the techno XLR and it's pretty big, IMO. It's basically a full-size stroller. And even though the website says it's only 16 pounds, I think that's the weight without the wheels and basket and hood.

Personally, I'd get a baby carrier like the beco butterfly 2 so that you can take the baby with you from the car to the home. Those infant car seats get really heavy after a while ... and if you have to take steps from your garage to your condo ... carrying the infant car seat as your baby gets over 10 pounds is going to be really hard!

I got my Quest after DD turned 3 months and we didn't want to use the snap N go anymore, but she didn't really sit comfortably in the Quest until she was at least 6 months.

LoveBeingMrs
02-21-2010, 09:18 AM
I have a Quest and just ordered the 2010 Vista b/c I need a stroller that will do everything that the mac can't do: like go over snow!

I've seen the techno XLR and it's pretty big, IMO. It's basically a full-size stroller. And even though the website says it's only 16 pounds, I think that's the weight without the wheels and basket and hood.

Personally, I'd get a baby carrier like the beco butterfly 2 so that you can take the baby with you from the car to the home. Those infant car seats get really heavy after a while ... and if you have to take steps from your garage to your condo ... carrying the infant car seat as your baby gets over 10 pounds is going to be really hard!

I got my Quest after DD turned 3 months and we didn't want to use the snap N go anymore, but she didn't really sit comfortably in the Quest until she was at least 6 months.

DH and I went to BBB yesterday with the full intention of buying the Techno XLR. However, that thing is def. not 16 lbs!!! It's huge!

I think that I'll stick with my 2010 Vista + carseat adapter combo until LO grows out of his carseat. Since the Vista frame weighs 18.6 lbs, it seems like it wouldn't make a difference whether I use the Vista + adapter or the XLR + adapter.

I'm going to start looking at the Mac Quest once LO is 3+ months. Even though I do love the shade + suspension of the Technos... they're too heavy for me!

Jelly Bean
02-22-2010, 10:06 PM
I completely agree with you! My DD is 7 months and is still in her carseat and snap and go but we occasionally use the Mac Quest. It works fine at 7 months but I would never have used it for her when she was 3 months. She was completely slumped and it wasn't plush enough for such a small baby. I thought a lot about getting the Techno, but it felt really heavy and and large wheels annoyed me after I'd used (and loved) my Maclaren snap and go which has small wheels and is only 11 pounds.

BTW, I also have the Vista and LOVE IT! So that's our combination: Vista and Mac Snap and Go and Mac Quest.

kate2128
02-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Another vote for getting a Mac. We also have a Vista and a Mac Quest. The Quest lives in the car. It was a great deal brand new on ebay last year for $105, it's a 2007 and it's hot pink, hence the discount. WE also have a Mac Volo which is awesome for the car since it only weighs 8 or 9 lbs, but it wouldn't work until your baby was much older since it doesn't recline. On the one handed recline, for me it isn't a huge deal since it is our secondary stroller.

arivecchi
02-24-2010, 05:58 PM
If it were your only stroller, I'd get an XT or XLR, but since you have a Vista, I'd get a Triumph or Quest.