PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Sick toddler

Clarity
02-18-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm so conflicted. About 6 weeks ago, my dd2 had a cough that was keeping her up at night and at naptime. We took her to the dr. and he dx'd her with a sinus infection and gave her a 10 day script for amoxicillian. That cured her violent coughing fits that occurred whenever she was lying down but she continued to cough sporadically for the next two weeks. We took her back into the dr. because the sporadic cough sounded a bit junky and because it had never totally cleared up over the course of the month. He again said she had mucous draining down her throat and gave her a script for 10 days of Omincef. DD2 finished that script last Friday. (ETA: he wanted to prescibe allegra for her at this point because she'd been coughing for 4-5 weeks but I refused. I said let's try the antibiotic first.)

Yesterday (Tuesday) she woke with a low grade fever 99.2 and no other symptoms. So....we took her to daycare. :bag They called at 3:45p to tell us she had spiked a 101.3 fever after she woke from her nap and seemed miserable. Dh picked her up immediately. When I got home she wasn't interested in eating but did nurse and I got her to drink an ounce of watered down juice. Her temp last night was 102.5. I dosed her with Motrin and she slept next to me all night. This morning she ate no food but did nurse again. She asked for water but is mostly just holding the cup. She is alert but just wants to be held.

I'm inclined to take her back into the dr. but I really hate to him put her on yet another round of antibiotic. (ETA: or have him push the allegra again.) My co-worker's son is just recovering from RSV and Bronchiolitis so I'm a bit jumpy and need some perspective. WWYD in this situation? Thanks so much!

ThreeofUs
02-18-2010, 11:00 AM
So sorry your DD is going through this! Seems like there's always something going around right about now....

I'm with you - why go on another round of abx?

Honestly, I'd watch her symptoms and see how she does over the next day or two. Seems to me that just because she's draining doesn't mean she has an infection or something bacterial that abx would address. I'd keep her in warm, moist places - like the tub - and nurse like crazy to see if you can get her to drain it all out. (And even though it makes me jumpy, too, RSV is just a virus. Besides oxygen, there's not much but comfort measures to treat it.)

Hope she gets well soon.

catpagmo
02-18-2010, 12:48 PM
OMGoodness, poor thing. Can you get a second opinion? The ped listened to her lungs, right? My DD just got over a really bad cough. Like turning purple from coughing so hard cough. I took her in and it turned out to be walking pneumonia. If it were me, I'd take her to another doc for a second opinion just to make sure there's nothing more serious going on.

FWIW, my ped says that little kids can't get sinus infections, because they don't have developed sinuses yet. I don't know what to believe.

Good luck!