PDA

View Full Version : S/O: What are your fitting challenges when buying clothes?

Momof3Labs
02-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Everyone has their challenges when buying clothes off the rack. What is yours?

My biggest challenge is my waist - it is big in proportion to my thighs (or, as I prefer to think, my thighs are small in proportion to my waist). So I find pants that fit great in the thighs and butt but the waistband is too tight. Or they fit great in the waist but you could fit a second me in the butt/thigh area. Buying lower rise pants has helped somewhat but I'm only willing to go so low...

My bustline size is currently an issue but I'm pumping for twins so hopefully that will resolve later this year. Buying to fit my bustline means stuff is falling off of my shoulders.

And my height is challenging - 5'4". Average. But on the high end of petite and the low end of regular.

MelissaTC
02-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Same problem as you. I carry my weight in my middle. If pants fit my waist, they are often bigger in the seat (although I do have some junk in my trunk ;)) and are big in the thighs. ETA that I am 5'4" on a tall day (I am 5'3" and 3/4).

bcafe
02-18-2010, 10:38 AM
I am 5'4" as well, my waist is not defined, and all the jeans I try are so long. This is definitely my main problem(s).

MamaMolly
02-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Small waist in proportion to my hips and tushy. It means that when pants and jeans fit the hips there is a huge gap in the waistband. And I don't like wearing belts so that isn't really an option.

The other thing is big boobs. I used to buy knits that fit the boobs but they looked like I was wearing a tent. I finally realized that knits will stretch (some) over the boobs and look fine. If I go too small then it looks like stuffed sausage or trashy, but one size down is usually fine. But because of the boobs I can't often find button down shirts. I actually have pretty much given up on those. I think I own one or two and they just don't get much wear.

elliput
02-18-2010, 10:43 AM
If you only saw me from the waist up, you would have no idea I am overweight. My hips/butt/thighs are easily 2 or 3 sizes larger than my waist and upper body, so I always have huge amounts of waistband gap even on low rise pants.

mom2binsd
02-18-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm barely 4'11"...and no longer a size 2...about an 8/10, everything is long on me, arms, torso, pants ......when can I start wearing capris again??? (even though the experts say they make you look shorter..well gosh darn it I am short and there's no hiding it!)

pb&j
02-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I am petite (5'2", small frame), but I have broad shoulders. This is a feature I like about myself, but it makes it tough to find tops and especially jackets that fit properly. Regular, non-petite jackets fit in the shoulders, but the arms and torso tend to be too long. Petite sized jackets are the right length, but are too tight across the shoulders. If I get a size big enough for my shoulders, it's too big everywhere else. And jackets are a PITA to tailor.

jenfromnj
02-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I have 2: first, my waist is at least one size smaller than my hips (or more accurately, my hips are considerably bigger than my waist!), so pants that fit right are hard to come by--low rise pants/jeans are my worst nightmare. Second, I'm just over 5'8", so just tall enough for regular length pants to be a bit short, but not really tall enough for tall pants.

Moneypenny
02-18-2010, 10:47 AM
My height is a problem as well - 5' 3 1/2" so petites are too short and misses are too long (and I'm too lazy to get things hemmed).

I also have slender hips so my pants are always poofing out where my hips should be.

Don't get me started on my feet - size 4.5 AA. Buying grown-up shoes is a nightmare!

bubbaray
02-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Finding pants long enough -- I have a 34" inseam.

I'm a size 8 generally, though often I need a 10 in tops/jackets. How is it that I am the same bra/cup size as pre-kids, but my back and shoulders got bigger??!?!

ETA: if we are talking shoes too, I'm a 8.5 AA or AAA.

lizzywednesday
02-18-2010, 10:55 AM
I am 5'8" and have LONG arms and legs.

My upper arms are also chunky, so it's hard for me to wear some of the closer-cut sleeve types and I have broad shoulders, so a lot of tops are cut too narrow for me there.

My bustline is an issue, but with the right bra and shirt, I can manage fine.

My backside, hips and thighs are heavy, as are my calves. I cannot tell you how many times I've emerged from a dressing room in tears because I couldn't get a pair of slacks over my calves ... DH thinks I am being ridiculous that I can't buy pants anywhere but 2 or 3 shops. (I think he should shut his big fat mouth.)

A standard misses' trouser inseam is 32"; I need a 34" inseam or else I look like I'm wearing floods.

It was painful trying to purchase maternity pants (and I wanted pants) because there are so few options if you are built like I am! (My mother, ever practical, suggested I get the shorter pants but wear long socks ... I told her I wasn't 50 yet as I rolled my eyes as if I were 16. She missed the eyeroll because we were on the phone, but still.)

When I do shop for things like dresses, I have a very specific set of requirements for fabric, garment structure and cut. I prefer dresses to have a lot of structure in the torso because otherwise my shoulders & hips create a big rectangle, so I can end up looking like a hockey goaltender. I prefer A-line skirts because I have a surprisingly narrow waist (I suspect that this will likely change post-baby, though my midwives are stunned at how tight my abs still are around the bump) so the extra fabric in the skirt makes up for getting the size that fits my waist best.

I watch far too much 'What Not to Wear' for my own good sometimes. It's often frustrating to see how far the advice from Stacy & Clinton goes for each "victim" and know that I need that kind of help to dress the body that I have, but not be able to GET that advice. It's especially hard when the criticisms come from DH because he doesn't offer anything constructive.

Can you tell I have a lot of body issues???? (And a couple DH issues, but throwing out half my wardrobe in a recent closet purge has shut his mouth.)

mommylamb
02-18-2010, 11:00 AM
My problem is finding button down shirts that fit because I've got large breasts. Shirts that don't gap at the boobs are way too big everywhere else. This also causes problems for me for dresses because I'm out of proportion.

lizzywednesday
02-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Ugh, I missed my feet and empathize with the narrow shoe ladies and small size shoe ladies because I have the same problem at the other end of the spectrum - I wear a 9.5 or 10 wide, depending on the cut of the shoe, the brand and country of origin (nothing made in China, Italy or Brazil fits my foot properly) ... and have flat feet, so wearing cute shoes is often prohibited by where I'll be wearing them.

Andi98989
02-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Definitely the bust. I'm a size 6-8 on the bottom, but I wear a 34J bra. Ugh. I currently have one suit jacket that somewhat fits (size 12); thankfully I only go to court a handful of times each year.

dcmom2b3
02-18-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm very short-waisted with looong arms. I can't find jackets that fit properly unless they're custom made. Or made for a chimp.

And I'm a 36 AAA, but now need a bra (thanks mommyhood!). Bras don't exist in that size. So I wear sports bras to work . . .

jacksmomtobe
02-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Big tummy no bum. Low rise work but I hate the exposure of low rise. Also I have a long inseam.

Corie
02-18-2010, 12:27 PM
My challenge is my HUMONGOUS ass.

Seriously.

A family of four could find shelter sitting under my ass.

BabyMine
02-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Small waist in proportion to my hips and tushy. It means that when pants and jeans fit the hips there is a huge gap in the waistband. And I don't like wearing belts so that isn't really an option.

The other thing is big boobs. I used to buy knits that fit the boobs but they looked like I was wearing a tent. I finally realized that knits will stretch (some) over the boobs and look fine. If I go too small then it looks like stuffed sausage or trashy, but one size down is usually fine. But because of the boobs I can't often find button down shirts. I actually have pretty much given up on those. I think I own one or two and they just don't get much wear.

:yeahthat: and adding my arms and calves. I have to buy big enough shirts for the boobs and arms but tappered for the small waist. When I buy jeans they have to go over the thick calves and thighs but small waist.

I wish I was filthy rich so I could have all my clothes made just to fit me without looking like a hoochie mama or pregnant.

Cheburashka
02-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Legs. Definitely the legs, even the tall sized jeans are sometime shorter than what I like. And my feet. My left foot is a 9, my right foot is a 9.5. I'm pretty much limited to wearing boots or sneakers with laces, pretty much all other types of shoes slip off my smaller foot, even with extra padding

mikeys_mom
02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Bust - Large, but I hide it well with great bras. Still, tops are always a few sizes bigger than skirts.

Waist is very small, especially in comparison to my hips. Straight skirts are always a challenge, so I usually stick with a-line or more flowy types.

slworld
02-18-2010, 01:00 PM
I am 5ft and I rarely ever find petite clothes in stores. I am also very pear shaped ... my hips/thighs are unproportionately larger than my waist. I need to wear 1-2 sizes larger than what fits my waist to accomodate my hips. I don't wear straight, skinny or even bootcut jeans cause they immediately pull your attention to my hips. The only thing I think looks ok on me is flare, and even then it has to be super flare so that the flare at the bottom offsets the bulge at the hips. I hate shopping for jeans. 90% of my shopping is online (mostly Old Navy since they have a decent selection of petite sizes and have a good return policy).

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-18-2010, 01:01 PM
I am a size 8-10 in pants depending on brand, fit, etc. But I wear a 36 G, so ALL tops have to be at least a XL. I have a hard time finding stuff that isn't too "boobtastic", but also isn't so large on the rest of me that I look pregnant. The way stuff hangs my stomach (which isn't flat) looks huge. I also have a pretty flat butt, but I have improved that by working out.

SnuggleBuggles
02-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Belly is too big at the moment and legs are skinny, butt is pretty small too but a bit of curve there. So, pants tend to be too loose if I buy the size I need for my belly.

eta- 5'2" so I have length issues as well and too lazy to get things tailored. I am petite in height only, though I am small framed by most standards.

Beth

elektra
02-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Pants are never long enough. Tops either look too tight/slutty or too loose/ maternity on me.

crl
02-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Big thighs. Or small waist. Take your pick. I don't really have any problems getting tops to fit--my shoulders are pretty average, small bust, smallish waist. The only problem I run into with tops is length--sometimes they are too short because I'm on the tall side and tunics can be an issue for fitting over the big thighs. And dresses with A-line or full skirts are easy. Narrow skirts are impossible. And pants and jeans are tough. Shoes are easy--size 7, a bit wide, but not so wide that I really need wide sizes.

Catherine

kijip
02-18-2010, 01:50 PM
My legs and behind are much thinner than my belly and hips. So pants that fit my belly are big in the seat and unattractive on my legs. Belly is slowly shrinking but even when I was quite skinny and working out all the time and in awesome shape, before kids, I had a little belly.

newg
02-18-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm 5'5'' and have size 10 feet and flat feet.....they were very narrow growing up, but 20yrs of tennis have turned them more into a medium...........but any type of boot cut pant looks rediculous on me, because I have these long, skinny feet sticking out!
I also have no hips (probably why DD got stuck in the birth canal).....so many pants have this extra pouchy fabric..........I also have broad shoulders, and thicker upper arms (due to tennis), so tight fitting shirts look silly on me (thank god for spandex and cotton blends!)...............plus I wear my insulin pump in my bra and always wear a tank with a built-in bra to hold it in place.......so no plunging necklines for me :)

sunshine873
02-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Big tummy no bum. Low rise work but I hate the exposure of low rise. Also I have a long inseam.

:yeahthat: Lots of extra skin around my middle makes it hard to find something that fits my "waist" but doesn't leave my bum & hips swimming. If it fits my rear, then it creates a jumbo-sized muffin top. :( Plus, I'm only 5'5", but regular jeans always seem a little too short on me, yet long is just way too long. Can't win!

maestramommy
02-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Definitely my hips and bum, in proportion to my height, and my pre preggo waist. Makes buying pants on a budget extremely depressing. However, my spirits have lifted in recent years after discovering LLBean. Among their many choices I have found a couple of cuts that work well for me, and since they sell petite, I can sometimes get away with not altering. I also love that they will alter for you:jammin:

smilequeen
02-18-2010, 03:44 PM
I am pretty voluptuous. I have larger hips, very large breasts (36F), and a smaller waist. Looks good when things fit, but can really make me look bigger than I am when they don't. I've found brands and styles that fit and I tend to stick with them. That the lower rise on pants is in now makes things easier b/c my waist is a size smaller than my hips are. I have to be VERY picky on shirt styles. I'm tallish (5'9") and my height is in my legs, so length on pants used to be a huge problem, but most places have added tall sizes now.

secchick
02-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Still losing baby weight, but my biggest problem is that I am 5'3" and definitely need petites. I used to wear Gap jeans exclusively, before they started making even the ankle length way too long. For me the problem is that due to BFing I am a 32F and it is impossible to find non-knit shirts that fit. I am hourglass shaped and generally do ok finding clothes that fit, but have muffin top that is here to stay.

Most frustrating to me is that I can't really wear dresses because I am still pumping so I have to wear clothes that don't make me get totally undressed to be able to pump at work.

Babymakes3
02-18-2010, 04:05 PM
1. I'm short and pants always seem to be too long!
2. I'm quite certain that one butt cheek is bigger than the other which causes the seam of my pants to shift to the left instead of lining up with umm...the center of my butt. It's annoying and i'm paranoid people are going to notice.
3. I have about 15 extra lbs on me still and it's in the dunlop (-ed over my belt) area and my butt/thighs. So in finding pants that fit I always have one area that is never quite comfy.

I have quite trying to buy or wear jeans and am seriously living in my Juicy pants and my workout pants! I can't wait for shorts season!

DrSally
02-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Same--high end of petite and low of regular. I hate getting petite pants that are too short, but usually it's the opposite problem. Also, there's my post preg belly pouch, but nothing can really hide that. Now I need longer shirts, but they seem to be more in style now, so that's not as much of a problem. One of my biggest problems is my wide feet.

cono0507
02-18-2010, 04:23 PM
I hate shopping for clothes.
5'10" with arms too long for most normal shirts. Butt/thighs are a size or two larger than my waist. Very broad shoulders, skinny upper body. I tend to buy a LOT at Eddie Bauer because they make their entire line in tall (not just pants, but tops too!) so I can buy size medium tall shirts that are actually long enough in length and in the sleeves. I love capris and sleeveless shirts - no worries about length! :)

SammyeGail
02-18-2010, 07:16 PM
How is it that I am the same bra/cup size as pre-kids, but my back and shoulders got bigger??!?!

Me too!!

My tummy area, or my entire mid-section area. My butt and thighs are ok but very out of tone, not much of butt, maybe I'll get a bit back with exercise ;).

I have a small frame, or small-boned, I love sleeveless tops in the summer then realize how I look with the fat on my upper arms and my thin forearms and tiny wrist and hands. I also have scrawny ankles, which can make me look odd. I'm probably the only one that notices, I don't know....

My whole mid-section area is a mess. The rumpled skin, its where my extra fat goes, its worse now since my muscles are permanently stretched from the twin pregnancy. I only have C cup boobs.

Tops and bottoms are both hard for me. I have found some brands/styles of tops that are forgiving in that area thankfully. Being a SAHM, or honestly not being able to work right now, I wear knit pants, etc at home and loose fitting tees.

I found alot of Boden womens tops are tummy friendly. I hate the price but I don't own alot, they are unique, very well made and I don't grow tired of them. They are my *nice* tops. I don't even like shopping in stores/the Mall anymore.

I like my American Eagle jeans, have some pants from them, and like some shorts I got last summer that were longer. Its hard to sort thru their extremely distressed ones, ones made for people NOT my age and the ones that don't have a 2-3" inseam, LOL!

I do have some of the Target brand of Spanx, they do help smooth things out, but I really hate wearing them, I hate the binding feeling.

I'm not crazy about the low rise jeans, but I try to buy longer tops and have some camis and longer tanks that cover up my skin. I have some like these, but they have lace trim, they will go all the way down to my lower hip! They are kind of rough but finally softened up after several, several washes. Very thin and lightweight.

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat380157&productId=3360_9446

racerback style with more colors:

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat380157&productId=2360_9875

The lace trimmed are cute, maybe they will come out with those soon...

As for shoes, I am stuck on comfort! I NEED arch support and can't walk in a heel, lol! I just about wore out a pair of Born sandals since I wore them everyday last summer. Mine are multi-colored, but I think these are the *cutest* shoes I have:

http://www.6pm.com/indigo-by-clarks-picnic-red-striped-raw-silk

SpaceGal
02-18-2010, 08:54 PM
I guess my biggest issue is that I'm really skinny and super flat chested. (I know you're all rolling your eyes at me). But seriously I can't fill anything out right...I'm barely a 32A probably don't even need a bra but I wear one just so I feel like a woman. A lot of times I think I dress in juniors cuz it fits better but I'm a mom of three and sometimes I'd love to look more womanly than a junior if that makes any sense. I recently wanted yoga pants...but it was too big...sucks cuz they look very comfy and a bit better than sweat pants if you need to wear them out.

salsah
02-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Everyone has their challenges when buying clothes off the rack. What is yours?

My biggest challenge is my waist - it is big in proportion to my thighs (or, as I prefer to think, my thighs are small in proportion to my waist). So I find pants that fit great in the thighs and butt but the waistband is too tight. Or they fit great in the waist but you could fit a second me in the butt/thigh area. Buying lower rise pants has helped somewhat but I'm only willing to go so low...

My bustline size is currently an issue but I'm pumping for twins so hopefully that will resolve later this year. Buying to fit my bustline means stuff is falling off of my shoulders.

And my height is challenging - 5'4". Average. But on the high end of petite and the low end of regular.

:yeahthat: i have the exact same problems. but i'm not nursing twins. and i'll add that my butt is flat, an a little wide.

shoes are an issue because i have serious back problems. so now i have to put comfort ahead of fashion.

and thanks to the back problems (and kids), even bags aren't as fun to shop for more anymore.

alexmommy
02-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Another short (5'2") thick-legged, small-waisted one here. I joking refer to my legs as elephant legs. Never looked good in mini skirts or capris (cut right at widest part of very wide calves), even when a size 4. I have to be careful which shoe styles I choose to not emphasize my large ankles-no ankle bands. DH has thin "bird legs". I want to trade. I hate how stores have a huge selection of regular women's clothing, and one small out-of-the-way nook for petites. Totally not fair.

newbiemom
02-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm flat chested (32AA ish) with a belly. So I have to now find shirts that are rather loose so that I don't look pregnant. I will now never cut my hair too short because I have been either mistaken for a boy (even as a grown woman, if my hair was pulled back or in a cap, this has happened) or as pregnant. (and my belly is not THAT big, - I can fit size 0 pants, usually) it's just that since I'm so flat chested, it's my belly that sticks out.
it stinks. reading some of the replies, I wish I had some other problems instead! But I guess the grass is always greener

tarahsolazy
02-18-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm short with what I'd describe as an athletic build, my waist is smaller than my hips, so I have that gappage problem others have described. I ALWAYS need a belt. I'm 5'1", and wear a size 8. I have no complaints about my chest, I like my 34Bs just fine.

I have problems finding boots to fit, too, due to the height and my um, "athletic" calves. If you're short, tall boots will hit you higher on the leg, over a wider part than taller people. It drove me crazy that I saw tons of women of all different sizes, many much bigger than me, wearing cute boots, and I couldn't get any on! I finally found some that worked, but it was a serious chore.

ThreeofUs
02-18-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm 5'5'' and have size 10 feet and flat feet.....

Just PM'd you.

czekit7
02-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Jeans that are long enough...I wear a 35-36" inseam...good luck finding that for post-partum hips!!