PDA

View Full Version : Strollers ARGH!

zelli21
02-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Finding a stroller has been a thorn in my side since pregnancy (DH and I couldn't agree). We ended up with a hand-me-down Eddie Bauer travel system that I loath (but free is free). DS is 6.5 months and is already over 20 lbs so we no longer need a carrier. We have a 05 Dodge Durango with the 3rd row of seats that need to be up which doesn't fit the stroller so it is time to in a new one.

Requirements:
-Lightweight and compact (being compact is more important than the weight)
-Child and parent tray (ok if "accessories" need to be purchased aftermarket)
-Full recline
-Decent storage basket
-Used for shopping, in and outdoors (trips to the park, zoo, museums - the standard stuff)
-Can't break the bank, under $250

I was considering this one because it meet all the requirements (though was missing the 5-point safety harness), was super inexpensive, and had decent reviews.
http://www.babytrend.com/strollers_single/1511.html

I went to BRB and looked at the Peg Perego Aria. It fit slightly better into my Durango and was much lighter than my current stroller.

After checking the posts, I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Peg Pergo SI and Baby Jogger City Mini. The Maclarens don't appear like the would meet my requirements since they appear to have small baskets and don't recline.

Help! Is there a stroller that will meet my needs? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PGTB
02-18-2010, 06:11 PM
I like BJCM, I think it would work as far as being able to fit into your car, it collapses rather small. It's sort of a 'suitcase fold' or a 'garment bag' fold, so any trunk that can accommodate a suitcase slightly larger than a carry on should fit this stroller frame. the umbrella type of folds would be longer, but narrower. I personally like Inglesina Zippy as opposed to the Peg Perego SI and I am not even a mom yet and haven't tried these strollers in real life! I only drove them around the store and found the ride of the Zippy to be more agreeable and the build a bit more solid.

BJCM should be sold in many many baby stores, so you can definitely try one before you buy and see if the folded size fits into your trunk.

jacksmoma
02-18-2010, 06:14 PM
bjcm or the peg si- sits more upright and has a super tiny umbrella fold..both are 17lbs :)

arivecchi
02-18-2010, 06:15 PM
The BJCM sounds great for you. Just as an FYI, the Mac Techno does recline and has better suspension than lighter Macs. I would not get the Aria. I have one and you feel every little bump and crevice on the road. Plus the cupholder on the tray falls every.single.time. I want to trash mine every time I use it at my mom's. :13:The only place where the Aria is great is at the mall.

AnnieW625
02-18-2010, 06:50 PM
The BJCM and the Maclaren have almost the same size basket. I thought about replacing my Triumph last spring with a BJCM but I thought they were very similar in size and weight wise. The BJCM did have a better recline, but I thought the seat was a little small height wise. My almost 4 yr. old still fits perfectly fine in the Triumph (as do lots of 5 and 6 yr. olds I see in it at Disneyland).

Now as far as the Maclarens go the only Maclaren that doesn't recline at all is the Volo. The Triumph has a 1 position recline, the Quest has a 3 (I think), and the Techno XT, and Techno XLR (same stroller, except XLR has a car seat adaptor available for it) have full position reclines. You can find a Maclaren Techno XT at diapers.com using the first time user code and get one for $233. Someone just posted this yesterday or today here (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=350938).

Also look on Ebay. I bought my Triumph off Ebay in 2006 for $130 (saved about $40) and I have never looked back. You can get a parent organizer (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/187-5329825-3900307?asin=B000FAKYRY&ci_src=15781033&ci_sku=B000FAKYRY&AFID=Performics_Google%20Product%20Listing%20Ads&LNM=Primary&ref=tgt_adv_XASD0001) for the handles, and I also believe that you can get a snack tray too (http://mbeans.com/stroller-mate-snack-tray-by-stroller-mate.html), but I mean it when I say I have never once missed my snack bar, and it keeps the stroller cleaner! DD puts her sippy cup next to her in the seat and when she was really little we had one of those snack cups for Cheerios!

ETA: also look at the Inglesina Zippy. If I needed or wanted a traditional carriage style stroller that's the one I would get. I believe at Albee it's between $250 and $300. The fold is truly one handed and awesome!

Tondi G
02-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Peg Perego P3 Pliko

We have one... well we have an older Pliko too that is in my DH's car. I have a dodge durango and have no trouble fitting the P3 behind the 3rd row seat back. Folds compact, super comfy for infants and toddlers. Has that rear foot step so your older can ride if you have another baby. Great sun shade/hood, I got a Valco Baby cup holder and it fits well on the P3 and holds small and large cups and bottles no problem. Has a tray and cup holder for baby. I use ours inside and out (been to Disneyland, the zoo etc a million times). I have stuffed the storage basket with blankets,jackets,water bottles etc for Disneyland... you just access the basket from the side not the back like you would on a graco!

I still love my P3 and I am sad that more often than not my almost 5 year old is fine without bringing a stroller along on excursions these days.

Albeebaby has several models in the 200+ range. just older model years/fabrics.

http://www.albeebaby.com/peg-perego-p3-strollers.html

emily
05-18-2010, 03:45 PM
I was all ready to buy a Mac Techno XT when I discovered these boards. We ended up getting the Inglesina Zippy. I'd never heard of it until the rave reviews here. It really has been the only single stroller we've needed. I love, love it. The basket is on the small side but you can hang so much off the handles without it getting tippy that it hasn't really bothered me. It's all terrain enough for neighborhood walks, parks, zoos and but also works well indoors. Maneuvers well, though I wish it steered better with one hand. It also accepts carseat if you decide to add to the family. It is a little heavier than an umbrella stroller but with the great fold, I can hold my 20+lb DS in one arm and fold and load it into the car with no problem. Dont get me started on the fold.

We bought ours on ebay, new in box. Cant remember how much but it I want to say around 280ish.

lorinick
05-18-2010, 04:28 PM
The Mac Quest reclines a decent amount imo. But I have to say I'm a bigger fan of my BJCM. The basket is larger on the new design. It is larger than my Mac. It doesn't tip. I really think the mini could have been my only stroller. Had I purchased it from the start. I don't have no bad thing to say about the stroller.

Suzanne74
05-18-2010, 04:42 PM
I dont't think the BJCM would fit behind the 3rd row unless you put it on it's side and it doesn't stay shut. Dangerous to me.

I would consider a Zippy, a Si or a P3. Both are deluxe umbrella strollers

I picked the Si over the Zippy because I couldn't justify spending the extra money. I think the Zippy is a little sturdier but it is also 3 more lbs. The plus on the Zippy is that it has both a removable bumper bar or a snack tray. The Si only has a bumber bar but you can attach a soft tray to it. Both only have cupholder so you will want to buy a parent console. There are many on www.carryyou.com Alot of people have the P3 and really like it. I found that many people do not want a Mac when their child is under 1 years old but tend to lean towards them later. You might want to give them a look too. Most people rarely go with another stroller once they have one.

TXErinC
05-18-2010, 05:20 PM
I dont't think the BJCM would fit behind the 3rd row unless you put it on it's side and it doesn't stay shut. Dangerous to me.

My 2010 has a latch to keep it shut. I also noticed the basket is bigger than the floor model at BBB, which must have been an older model.

I personally love my BJCM as far as playing with it, but I'm still waiting for my next baby to be here ;) My 3.5 yo son sat it in when we were trying them out and really liked it and had enough room in there, but he is just over 37" and 34lbs.

PRmommy
05-18-2010, 05:28 PM
My 2010 has a latch to keep it shut. I also noticed the basket is bigger than the floor model at BBB, which must have been an older model.

Mine has a latch as well and it's an older model.

satchnbucky
05-18-2010, 09:29 PM
BJCM. Three reasons - the weight, the fold, and the sunshade. Mine also has a latch to keep it shut and a pretty large basket (I have a 2010). I have the Sunshine kids parent caddy ($10) and the belly bar ($30 - ick). I also have a Triumph, which I like for a lot of things (it's compactness, ease of use, and for travel), but lately I've found myself using the mini more often.
(I find they are not as similar as they may seem - at least for my purposes).
ETA - you can get a snack tray - it is $20. DC just likes the bar better and it is adjustable - we just attach the rings and a snack cup to it. (We do the same with our triumph)

♥ms.pacman♥
05-18-2010, 09:50 PM

I personally love my BJCM as far as playing with it, but I'm still waiting for my next baby to be here ;) My 3.5 yo son sat it in when we were trying them out and really liked it and had enough room in there, but he is just over 37" and 34lbs.

yeah mine (2010) has the latch to keep it shut. i figured it was something new that was added since in the box it in addition to the assembly instructions. had an insert about the latch and how to use it

i have the parent console & the belly bar. DS is too young to grab onto it, but it's great for hanging SleepSheep or links on it

the great thing about the BJCM (aside from the fold) is the canopy. my DS absolutely hates sun in his eyes (i tried putting sunglasses but he knkocks them off). the canopy helps with that a lot.

salsah
05-19-2010, 02:48 PM
yeah mine (2010) has the latch to keep it shut. i figured it was something new that was added since in the box it in addition to the assembly instructions. had an insert about the latch and how to use it

i have the parent console & the belly bar. DS is too young to grab onto it, but it's great for hanging SleepSheep or links on it

the great thing about the BJCM (aside from the fold) is the canopy. my DS absolutely hates sun in his eyes (i tried putting sunglasses but he knkocks them off). the canopy helps with that a lot.

what is the latch like? the originals had a velcro strap (behind the leg rest) that you would have to wrap around frame to shut. but you had to do from the inside while it was folded. it was a pain!