PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for baby Shower?

Twoboos
02-19-2010, 01:16 PM
I am hosting a baby shower for SIL next weekend. It's pretty low key, about 20 people plus 7 (!!!) girls most around 4/5/6. A couple may be in the 8-10yr old range.

I am not a fan of shower games, so there won't be any. (That's what ya get when I host the shower, LOL! :rotflmao:) It's being catered, we're getting a cake, the favors are set. So food stuff is set.

But, what else can I do for decor, etc., to make it fun but not too silly... I got some of the target clearanced diapers so I am going to do at least 1 diaper cake, maybe two if I have enough dipes. Probably balloons. I am planning simple white paper table cloths, any ideas to jazz them up? I'll have a white basket for cards/gift cards.

Also, I'll probably do our 3 season porch as a play space for the girls. I will have a space heater out there, and set up tables of toys, coloring, dollhouse, etc. Any thoughts on a "favor" for them? I was thinking some kind of Barbie coloring/activity book type thing.

Eeesh, obviously it just struck me that this is in a WEEK!!!

SnuggleBuggles
02-19-2010, 05:09 PM
IMO, you have to have some game, especially something to do during the gift opening. It is insanely boring to sit there watching gifts be opened if there are a lot of them. With 20 guests you might be able to get by without it but I know it makes it a lot more fun. Give people a bingo template, have them fill in possible gift items (bottles, sheets, carseat...) and then they can cross them off as they go. It requires no real effort on your part as the host and isn't a totally cheesy game, imo. :)

Do you know boy or girl? Doesn't really matter because you could just get a mix but you could get some pink and blue M&Ms to put in dishes. You can score some V-day leftovers for the pink then just go to a candy store that has the m&ms available by color.

Hoping that by giving this pitiful reply the thread will get bumped up and someone more creative will chime in. :)

Beth

Andi98989
02-19-2010, 05:21 PM
I am not a fan of baby shower games and thankfully my friends and I have played way too many games at showers, so when they threw mine, it was basically "game free." :bouncy: The only game that we did was to wear clothes pins and don't say baby (if someone hears you say it, they take your clothes pin, whoever has the most pins wins). Apparently I brought that on myself by specifically saying that I didn't want that one. LOL

For decor, we had some nice floral arrangements, a diaper cake, and some "baby boy" things. That was it. Food was a buffet lined up on the counter. Everyone ate and relaxed for a while and just got to hang out. It was perfect. Gift opening was fun because they're basically all moms or going to have kids, so we're all interested in that stuff. We swaped plenty of kid and pregnancy stories, too. After gifts we had cake.

It was my favorite shower - relaxing and just spending time with my friends.

If you PM me your email address, I can try and remember to email you some of the pictures this weekend.

Indianamom2
02-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I don't love games, but agree that it might get a little dull. The game I don't mind playing is gift bingo.

Basically, everyone fills out a bingo card with things they think the mom-to-be will open and then proceed to play bingo. It helps keep gift time a bit more lively.

Is the baby a boy or girl?

Twoboos
02-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Yah, gift bingo is pretty much the only acceptable game to me, LOL! But it's a second shower (first was in her hometown) so I'm afraid the bingo-ing won't be too great - there's hardly anything left on her list.

The mom-to-be suggested everyone swap gifts and take a turn opening the one they have, so it's not so boring. I guess she had been to a shower where they did that and it went over pretty well.

They don't know boy or girl yet so that makes it a little harder. I like the idea of flowers - how could I have forgotten that??

And I am loving the other thread with punch recipes!!

okinawama
02-19-2010, 06:25 PM
I agree, I hate baby shower games!

I think flower arrangements, a color theme and music is all you really need for a nice classy shower.

catsnkid
02-19-2010, 07:35 PM
I decorated my shower with teddybears dressed in baby clothes and attached balloons to them.

zag95
02-19-2010, 07:58 PM
I know you said no games but here might be somethings that are more palatible...... you could use the extra disposables and have a "guess the mini choc bars melted in the diaper", where you guess the original chocolate bar type.....! One that I had that was a riot was a team that got up and diapered a play doll (baby) using only one hand- pretty hilarious! fastest time won!

Maybe you could do something with music or rhymes.... like play the song- something like name that tune! You could have teams of 2-3 (including the little girls) to help on those!

It sounds like you have other things handled!!! Have fun!