PDA

View Full Version : s/o Would you send your kids to school in yoga/athletic pants?

egoldber
02-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Do you dress your kids to different standards than yourself?

I'm thinking of outfits like these from LE.

Girls:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/ShortSleeveStripeHeritageTshirt-80181_205230_1187.html?CM_MERCH=PGGT_1_from_000002 3794_to_0000029987
http://www.landsend.com/pp/FlareYogaPants~173142_1187.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::ZUT&CM_MERCH=IDX_00004__0000000411&origin=index

Boys:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/AthleticTshirt-65430_185849_1189.html?CM_MERCH=PGGT_3_from_000004 3413_to_0000043414
http://www.landsend.com/pp/AthleticPants-65399_185951_1189.html?CM_MERCH=PGGT_1_from_000004 3413_to_0000043412

Personally, I wish those girls outfits came in adult sizes. :rotflmao:

KrisM
02-20-2010, 01:24 PM
The shirts, yes. The pants for boys no. The pants for girls, maybe.

DS wears jeans or cords to school. He wore athletic pants on the day they did a fundraising walk.

ETA: I was one who wouldn't go in pajamas. I would go out in nice yoga pants, but don't. I wouldn't go to work or anything of "importance" dressed in yoga pants, so I wouldn't send my kids to school, which is important, in them either. To the grocery store, sure for it all (except pajamas over the age of 1 or so).

ett
02-20-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't but I do see boys in those pants at school.

infomama
02-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Dd1 wears those pants to school all the time. They are comfy, fit her well and are cute. When I bought them they were $6.

snowbunnies300
02-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Both of my DS's have worn sweatpants to school. They are autistic and for potty training purposes I was asked to send them in pants that were elastic waist. The school said the understood how it would be difficult to send a child to school daily in sweat pants but we needed to look at the big picture.

DS1 wore them from age 4 to 5. We than began getting him to work on wearing jeans and pulling up his jeans while still zipped and buttoned. This is what he does now. He acts like he is wearing elastic waist pants but they are not. Some day his fingers will work to zip and button and if not he is still able to wear pants and no one will be the wiser.

Ceepa
02-20-2010, 01:36 PM
I have a dislike of little girls in those tightish yoga pants/leggings when worn with a short top. I can't tell from the picture whether these are the same type.

mommylamb
02-20-2010, 01:43 PM
DS is only in daycare, but I would certainly send him in those sorts of pants. I think I'd be fine sending him to school in them too once he's older.

I haven't read the PJ thread, but I would wear sweatpants or yoga pants out on the weekend if I were just running around to the food store (but not PJs). Obviously, I would never wear them to work, but I see nothing wrong with being casual on your own time.

lalasmama
02-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Allee wears yoga-type pants to school on a nearly daily basis. She needs easy-up/easy-down pants. They are cheap ($5 at Walmart last week), easy, look cute when paired with a matching top, etc. I'm not hurt if they end up with paint/markers/spaghetti sauce or other unidentifiable stains. (She's in kindy so its a rough call figuring out what she was playing with some days!). She has jeans that she wears maybe once a week, but she gets frustrated with the difficult snaps on all 4 pairs she has, so we tend to do jeans on weekends instead of school days.

MrsZaz
02-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Ds wears althletic pants on Gym days (2x per week). On the other days he wears jeans/cords/khakis (sp?). He is alos not allowed to wear any slogan type shirts or character shirts to school.

Colleen

deborah_r
02-20-2010, 01:47 PM
The dress code at DS's school only allows for jeans, khakis, or navy pants, also navy sweatpants. Shorts are allowed in the same colors. I do send him in navy sweatpants usually one or 2 days a week. Especially in Kindy when they would sit on the floor for circle time and stuff, I just wanted him t be comfortable. He would usually wear and undershirt and a polo shirt with it, so I don't think it looked sloppy. I have a pair of track pants from Gymboree I would love to send him in, but doesn't meet the dress code.

Gena
02-20-2010, 01:49 PM
DS wears athletic pants like that to school a lot of days. They are completely not my style, but apparently they are what he pefers. They are soft, easy to move aound in, and easy for him to manage in the bathroom. So they work well with his sensoy issues and his fine motor skill delays that make it hard to do pants with the button/snaps/zippers on the fly. We do have some jeans and twill pants that are full elastic waist with no fly, but DS often chooses the athletic pants. He doesn't wear them everyday, but pretty often.

Like I said, it's not my prefered style, but I'm trying to let go of that as DS develops his own sense of what he likes and dislikes and what works with his abilities.

mommytotwo
02-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Our DC do on non-uniform days. In this area, the athletic pants are worn about as frequently as jeans by grade school boys.

fauve01
02-20-2010, 01:55 PM
DD (age 6 in Kindy) will not wear pants with zippers, or anything "scratchy", so she wears pants like that every day. sometimes with a dress over, usually with a soft T (long or short) on top.

Anne

infomama
02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Personally, I wish those girls outfits came in adult sizes. :rotflmao:
LE does have yoga pants for us but I have never tried them. http://www.landsend.com/pp/YogaPants~186709_59.html?CM_MERCH=WGT_00015_00001_ 0024121&INT_CAMP=00015_00001_0024121

caleymama
02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Dd1 wears those pants to school all the time. They are comfy, fit her well and are cute.

:yeahthat:

My DDs have those exact pants in multiple colors/patterns and do wear them to school. DDs also have athletic pants similar to the boys style linked to and have worn those too.

nov04
02-20-2010, 01:58 PM
dd1 goes to school in sweat suits each day. It was a request from her old school to help her progress in pt'ing. She still can't manage buttons, snaps, zippers.

bluestar2
02-20-2010, 01:59 PM
The t shirts, yes, but not the pants. DC have knit pants for wearing at home or playing out in the yard, but they don't wear them out. Well, the knit/yoga pants would go to school, but underneath dresses or tunics. I have the same standard for myself. However, this is just my preference, and I would not judge or criticize others for sending their kids to school in the clothes shown. IMO it is more about being neat, clean and well groomed, showing respect for the school and teachers, for their work and behavior, than it is about what they wear.

egoldber
02-20-2010, 02:11 PM
I have to admit I am finding this fascinating.

Older DD has jeans and cords, but generally wears yoga/stretch pants most days except for the very coldest. She has PE twice a week and also does a running program after school 2 days a week (not the same days she has PE), so she wears athletic pants most days of the week. For PE they often do things like gymnastics or yoga and they ask the kids not to wear jeans on those days.

In fact, the teachers who do the running program often wear outfits like the one I posted for the boys to school.

LE does have yoga pants for us

I have on LE athletic pants right now. ;) They are fabulous. But they don't come in pretty colors like the girls pants.

bubbaray
02-20-2010, 02:19 PM
My girls wear yoga pants to school and daycare ALL.THE.TIME. DD#1 has the cutest faux-Lululemon yoga set that even her teachers have commented on (favorably, not negatively). I usually try to remember to send DD#1 in yoga pants on the days that she has yoga class at daycare, but she wears them on other days too.

FWIW, I see little girls (ie., G1 &2) in REAL Lululemon hoodies here relatively often. I'm not sure how they fit into them. Lululemon used to make a kids line, but they don't anymore.

billysmommy
02-20-2010, 02:30 PM
DS1 wears pants like that to school sometimes. It depends what he's in the mood for that day....he wears khakis, jeans, cords, athletic pants and fleece pants. Gym days is always the athletic pants or fleece pants though.

DS2 really prefers his fleece pants right now so that is what he mostly wears.....in very bright colors...lol

bluestar2
02-20-2010, 02:36 PM
She has PE twice a week and also does a running program after school 2 days a week (not the same days she has PE), so she wears athletic pants most days of the week.

I could see sending my kids in neat (not sloppy, ripped, stained) athletic wear in this situation.

Melaine
02-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Hmmm we don't g to school but I would be ok with those outfits for most places we do go. Yes, I dress my children with different standards....they usually are dressed BETTER than me. I tend to be fairly sloppy myself but they always look cute.

egoldber
02-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Yes, I dress my children with different standards....they usually are dressed BETTER than me.

See, I would have said that too!

lalasmama
02-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Hmmm we don't g to school but I would be ok with those outfits for most places we do go. Yes, I dress my children with different standards....they usually are dressed BETTER than me. I tend to be fairly sloppy myself but they always look cute.

:yeahthat: Lala gets her hair all done up, cute clothes (usually something Carters or Gymboree for the weekend.... and I've got a pony tail and my yoga pants. (Good thing SO says he likes me in my yoga pants, LOL, because I only change out of them if there's a dinner out to Red Lobster!)

crl
02-20-2010, 03:34 PM
My goals in dressing DS for school are: (1) he doesn't stand out from the other kids (he has some social skills issues so I don't want to compound things); (2) he's comfortable; and (3) clothes cheap enough that I don't care if they are trashed (he's in K so still wipes his hands his pants, gets paint on them, etc).

Based on those goals, I wouldn't do the athletic pants. They are rarely worn to his school so they wouldn't meet the first goal. He usually goes in cords or khakis because they meet all the goals.

Catherine

g-mama
02-20-2010, 03:35 PM
My boys don't wear athletic pants/shirts to school. They wear jeans, cords, cargo pants, khakis. They wear long-sleeved t-shirts and collared shirts (polo shirt or a button-up shirt but untucked) I was raised wearing a uniform at Catholic school and I feel like part of how you feel about yourself and what you are doing is related to what you are wearing. When they go to school, it is their "work" and they should look presentable. My oldest ds said way back in pre-K that he felt like he should wear "real clothes" to school otherwise he feels like he's in pajamas at school. I was happy to go with that thought and so that's what we do.

P.S. Before I am accused of judging anyone else on this thread - or in my kids' school - I DO NOT care what others put their kids in. This is how I feel about how I dress MY children for school.

SnuggleBuggles
02-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Sure. Ds1 has a dress code though so it is a non issue.

Beth

egoldber
02-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Honestly, I truly just find all this fascinating. :) One of my best mommy friends in playgroup was always very dressed up. A few of us would meet up for lunch at Nordstrom Cafe and we'd all be in yoga pants and t-shirts and she'd come in wearing an outfit from Ann Taylor (not AT Loft, but AT) looking like she was meeting a client for lunch. It was just who she was. She was raised in a military family and that was how she was comfortable.

I find the kid clothes angle equally fascinating because LE pretty clearly labels those as "Back to School" type clothes. Of course, if the school has a uniform, that's a different story.

belovedgandp
02-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Yes, I would send my kids to school in athletic clothes. Right now DS1 is in K and almost always wears jeans or slacks. But that is because he's so dang skinny and long legged I can't find sweatpants that stay up and aren't embarrassingly short. He goes to school in the afternoon, he has gymnastics one morning a week and wears his sweats there. They are about 4 inches too short, so he knows to change into real pants for school.

A majority of the boys in his class have those type of pants and character t-shirts on almost every single day. I don't care for character shirts. He has a couple of t-shirts, but all his long sleeved shirts are solids, stripes, or the occasional ball/number basic from Gymboree.

That said, he has picked out his own clothes to wear every single day since he was 3 1/2 and I've always let him, so yes, he's worn some interesting things. I can trump him on picture days and when the weather changes drastically, but otherwise, we go with whatever he wants.

I'm surprised by the number of people who have different clothes that can only be worn at home versus out. I'm proud enough that all three of us (me, DS1 and DS2) get dressed once a day. I'm certainly going to have it be something we can all wear all day. The kids usually look more put together than I do, or at least the younger one has cuter stuff.

Roleysmom
02-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Yep. DD1 has those LE pants and loves them. I think they are perfectly appropriate for school. I'd say she wears yoga pants to school three or four times a week. She'll often want to wear leggings with a top and I'll make her put a skirt on. I don't like leggings as pants. But yoga pants or sweat pants, sure.

I also would have no problem with a boy wearing the LE pants. I've seen boys in DD1's school with pants like those.

I do have to say that I understand though were g-mama is coming from. I went to Catholic school through high school so only wore a uniform and also was told and felt that how we dressed influenced our performance and our attitude toward school. When DD1 was in preprimary and I saw how casually kids were dressed, I was surprised and not sure how I felt about it. But now it seems fine to me. If I thought the DD1 was starting to slack off in school, one of the first things I might change is what she is wearing. Although my work has started a casual dress/jeans okay policy and I don't think my work attitudes or product has changed since its inception. It's all very interesting to me.

daphne
02-20-2010, 04:37 PM
My son wears those style of pants almost every day....when he's not wearing sweat pants. I have a feeling not all of the mamas here would approve, but I have to pick my battles (as I imagine all mothers do). DS refuses to wear anything but athletic pants or sweats, so I let him. What's the harm?

DrSally
02-20-2010, 04:41 PM
I would say yes to all those pants. For the girls, with a cute shirt and sweatshirt, it would look fine. In fact, I prefer elastic waist pants for girls (mine is only 18 months) b/c they're not as constricting on her budda belly. DS doesn't have those pants, but he has fleece track pants with a stripe down the side. He'll wear a coordinating t-shirt/sweatshirt and it will look fine (like red sweatpants with a grey stripe and a grey shirt with a red design. He only wants to wear sweatpants lately b/c they're easier when he goes to the bathroom. I have to convince him to wear jeans/cords. I don't think it looks sloppy at all. The fit is good and they match.

maestramommy
02-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Actually I think those shirts and tops are cute, and I probably WOULD send my kids to school with those. I think Dora has 1-2 pairs of button down pants, which she hardly wears because they are just too roomy around the waist. My girls do much better with leggings and those pull-on pants. Their bums are just too small for much else.

o_mom
02-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Oh yes, at least for the boys (didn't look at the girls' stuff).

Ds1 picks out his own clothes. As long as there are no holes or stains, they fit and are appropriate for the weather, away he goes. He prefers elastic waist pants and softer materials, so yes, sweatpants at times. Since 90% of his wardrobe is navy or navy trim, most times it doesn't clash too bad. T-shirts - long or short sleeve are the norm. Sometimes I can talk him into a collared shirt. He resists jeans, especially if they button/snap.

We have enough trouble with him not liking school that I'm not about to throw clothing battles into the mix.

kozachka
02-20-2010, 05:32 PM
DS is in first grade, and does not own any pants like in OP or any sweatpants at the moment. I'd buy him a pair if they were needed for sports. Some kids wear these kind of pants to DS' school but it is not my style. In my experience you can be comfortable without wearing sweatpants/athletic wear as long as things fit well and are made from soft fabric. DS likes cords, we have a variety of them from Carter's, Gymboree and elastic waist cargo pants from Osh Kosh in addition to jeans with hook or snap closure.

mom2akm
02-20-2010, 05:34 PM
My two DS, both teenagers, wear the athletic pants to school all the time. I assume that it must be OK since teenagers are so self conscious. They like them because they are comfortable.
Different people in different geographic location probably will have different opionion on this. Where we are, people tend to be quite casual.

wendmatt
02-20-2010, 05:35 PM
That's all dd will wear, she hates jeans so she wears a style like that all the time, not with a short top though.

alexsmommy
02-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Yes, DS1 wears them at least 2-3x per week. I just have the same rules I do for other pants, no holes, frays etc. He likes to be comfortable when running and b/w gym 2x a week, plus the schools running program when the weather is nice, and recess, that's almost every day. He picks out his own clothes.

jacksmomtobe
02-20-2010, 05:37 PM
I wish I had a choice in what DS (almost 6) will wear to school. Last year he wore really cute pants but now he will only wear sweatpants and though some are fairly new they are looking a bit ragged. I think most boys wear athletic pants these days in public school.

DD (3 1/2) also has her own mind with clothes. I haven't bought her many sweatpants though. Her deal is mostly the combinations she chooses.

One battle I've chosen not to fight is the clothes battle.

mamicka
02-20-2010, 05:46 PM
I have to admit I am finding this fascinating.

:yeahthat: I seriously am in shock a bit that those boys pants for some are considered "disrespectful". They're kids - they should be concerned with being comfortable & clean, not "looking good".

JBaxter
02-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Nathan wears pants like those everyday. He refuses to wear jeans cords or cargo pants. He likes to be comfortable and they work for us. I MAKE him wear pants for church and you would think I was torturing him with pants with "snaps"

Sillygirl
02-20-2010, 05:53 PM
I'd rather see kids in those LE clothes than ones with cartoon characters or disrespectful slang all over them. And I'd rather see sweats and a T-shirt that at least covers the midriff, compared to some of the trash I see on the racks at Target. Not that those are the only options, of course. Kids' work is play - so they dress for work.

LexyLou
02-20-2010, 05:57 PM
My DD1 will not wear any pants with a waist and button. She says they bother her belly. She's also in a dress only phase but rips tights every single time she wear them so I put leggings on under her dresses. So pretty much her "uniform" is knit dresses and leggings.

Little one will wear jeans/khakis but I feel they are so restrictive. It's hard for her to climb and move around so besides wearing the same "uniform" as her sister she wears leggings and cute shirts.

bnme
02-20-2010, 05:58 PM
My boys mostly waer athletic pants. They have gym 3x per week and they don't change. They also sit on the floor pretty often. There shirts range from t-shirts, to polos, to half zip sweaters. Most kids (including mine) dress nicer for class parties when the parents are invited.

ellies mom
02-20-2010, 06:03 PM
I think both those outfits are fine. I wouldn't have a problem with my daughter wearing yoga pants to school. She wears leggings fairly often. Heck, yesterday was PJ day, so she wore pajamas to school.

I definitely do not wear pajamas out and about. I don't mind nice looking yoga pants but I haven't found a pair that look decent on me so I tend to stick to jeans as casual wear.

sarahsthreads
02-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Allee wears yoga-type pants to school on a nearly daily basis. She needs easy-up/easy-down pants. They are cheap ($5 at Walmart last week), easy, look cute when paired with a matching top, etc. I'm not hurt if they end up with paint/markers/spaghetti sauce or other unidentifiable stains. (She's in kindy so its a rough call figuring out what she was playing with some days!). She has jeans that she wears maybe once a week, but she gets frustrated with the difficult snaps on all 4 pairs she has, so we tend to do jeans on weekends instead of school days.

DD1 can't seem to do up any snaps at all on her own. I sent her in jeans one day early in the school year, and she had to ask the older classmate who walked her to the bathroom (she's in a mixed grade classroom) for help snapping her pants. And that day the classmate who walked her to the bathroom was a boy. Yeah. No pants with snaps at school at all since then!

Quite honestly, I don't remember wearing adult-style jeans (with zippers and snaps instead of elastic waistbands) before jr. high. I'm not sure why little kid jeans can't have elastic waists anymore!

So she wears yoga-style pants every day! (Well, except the days she wears leggings and dresses.)

Sarah :)

elliput
02-20-2010, 06:16 PM
My DD prefers the LE yoga pants over almost every other pant in her closet- the other preferred pant are her LE crop leggings.

tarahsolazy
02-20-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm not a fan of tight knit leggings on little girls with short shirts, but otherwise, heck ya, my kids wear stuff like that all the time.

DD, who is almost three and super short, wears tunics or dresses with leggings, yoga pants, or jeans under them pretty much every day. She doesn't go to school or daycare though, she's home with DH all day.

DS, who is in public kindy in a wealthy school, mostly wears jeans, cords, cargos, but does wear sweats and some athletic pants. Probably once a week or so. He wears tees pretty much every day, long sleeve in winter, short in spring/fall. I'd say half of the boys and girls in his class are dressed in clothes like the ones Beth linked every day. Interestingly, although the catchment area for the school has super spendy houses, the kids are not dressed to the hilt at school, I rarely see expensive branded stuff on his classmates. I like that. Our modest neighborhood is the "hood" for this school, lol.

smilequeen
02-20-2010, 06:25 PM
My boys go to school in Daily Tea stuff a lot. They are in a private Montessori school. Their dress code is to dress them comfortably and in clothing appropriate for daily PE class. I try to go something in the middle, not to dressy, not too casual which is why I have a closet full of daily tea for the two of them. Mine will wear athletic pants from time to time, but I can't bring myself to send them in athletic shorts in warmer weather. I'm weird like that :) Just like I will run to Target in my yoga pants, but I would not go in the shorts I work out in.

g-mama
02-20-2010, 06:44 PM
:yeahthat: I seriously am in shock a bit that those boys pants for some are considered "disrespectful". They're kids - they should be concerned with being comfortable & clean, not "looking good".

Did anyone say they were disrespectful? I didn't see that word in this thread, but I may have missed it. I was one who said my boys don't wear athletic pants to school, but I don't find them to be disrespectful whatsoever. Just not my style (for my kids).

Tondi G
02-20-2010, 07:19 PM
My DS (8) wears either sweats or basket ball shorts to school on a regular basis. He is really hard to fit... he's really tall for his age but on the chunky side. He doesn't fit in boys clothes in the seat/waist anymore. We buy mens medium and often have to have things shortened. We also have to try everything on cause often the rise is way too big in a lot of mens pants and they are too saggy/bunchy in the crotch. It is the most frustrating thing. He wears whatever fits and is comfortable!

bubbaray
02-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Did anyone say they were disrespectful? I didn't see that word in this thread, but I may have missed it.

Yes, they did. See post #17

ETA:

IMO it is more about being neat, clean and well groomed, showing respect for the school and teachers, for their work and behavior, than it is about what they wear.

shilo
02-20-2010, 07:49 PM
well... since 90% of their winter wardrobe consists of cargo-styled 'sweats' and athletic type pants, i'm a big 'heck yeah' to this one. they mostly get paired with gymbo LS knit shirts or onesies. the other 10% are outfits we've received as gifts and so maybe more kakhi's type pant or else special occasion type stuff with a collar. sam will only reluctantly wear jeans or kakhis for photos/spec. occasions. he has never gone into his closet and picked out any outfit that isn't a soft/elastic type waist with a knit top on his own. my kids always start the day in clean, neat, clothes that look put together. i honestly have never given a second thought for a moment that anyone might consider them sloppily or under-dressed for school. in a lot of ways, i think their wardrobe is nicer than worn out jeans and logo/cartoon t's i see a lot of little boys wearing, so i guess that's why the actual style of pant never crossed my mind. so i'm finding all these threads very interesting. i'm curious... for those that have boys and put them in kakhi's, cords, etc. for day to day, do they wear collared shirts with them?

fwiw, we're in the sf-bay area and things are definitely pretty casual around here locally - jeans and a tshirt is the uniform of choice for half the valley engineers. most of my mommy friends are having a 'good hair day' if they've got an ATL top on with some jeans or a nicer pair of capri's or track pants.

also, i don't have a girl, so i'm never shopping for yoga/legging type pants for girls, but i also would find these totally appropriate for the playground/school as long as they're not overly tight and paired with an appropriate top (like a non-form-fitting T or swing type top can be adorable with leggings, you know?). anyway, i don't like the whole style of overly tight leggings with uggs and a tight t or tank top, chunky belt or not, on women, and i think it looks even less appropriate on little girls. obviously other's MMV, because it's a popular look around here. otherwise, i'd personally dress my kids in any of the stuff you posted.

TwinFoxes
02-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes, they did. See post #17

ETA:

I don't want to speak for Bluestar, but I think she actually was saying it DOESN'T matter what you kids are wearing, being respectful etc is more important.

ETA: in other words, I don't think she was saying those clothes are disrespectful.

egoldber
02-20-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm curious what the look is that people are referring to with tights pants and a short T-shirt. The LE site is just the first one I went to because I recently ordered Sarah 3 new pair of those yoga pants for school (:rotflmao:) because she had a growth spurt and her other ones are all now hitting very attractively above her ankle. ;) But they don't have any outfit shots, which is too bad.

gatorsmom
02-20-2010, 08:02 PM
I dress my sons and my daughter to the same conservative standards as myself. I'm not even sure my daughter owns a pair of yoga pants. I just really enjoy dressing her in dresses and tights and she seems to like them too. :D Cha Cha wears nice pants and matching shirts to preschool (mainly Carter's outfits). Gator has a uniform.

I don't have a problem with other people dressing themselves and their children how they like. People have different tastes and ideas about what they think looks nice. Live and let live.

ETA: to the OP, Beth, the links you provided aren't my style but they look nice and comfy for any activity. And of course you can't go wrong with LE quality. I honestly don't see anything wrong with them.

egoldber
02-20-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm mainly curious what the look is people are referring to. The LE links were only chosen because I had looked at the website recently and I knew they had exactly what I was curious about.

I wish the catalog was on-line because they have nice outfit pix in it.

egoldber
02-20-2010, 08:24 PM
And of course, as soon as I said that I thought the catalog probably is on line!

For girls, this is what the outfit I posted above looks like.

http://s7.landsend.com/s7ondemand/brochure/flash_brochure.jsp?company=LandsEnd&sku=P510_L410_eCatalog&config=P510_L410_eCatalog&el=large&wh=810

Huh. If that doesn't take you to the right page, it's pages 28-29. You can use the drop down box to go there directly vs paging through the catalog.

kozachka
02-20-2010, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=lorien_ca;2635429]for those that have boys and put them in kakhi's, cords, etc. for day to day, do they wear collared shirts with them? [QUOTE]

DS does not have any khaki pants but he wears cords a lot. Sometimes I'd help him pair them a collared shirt but most of the time he wears it with a long sleeve t-shirt, polo shirt or a light weight sweater. On the days that DS wears a collared shirt chances are it is layered over a t-shirt so it does not look stuffy.

The only time DS wears a buttoned up shirt is when we go to a party or have people over at our house. He has a red and gray striped shirt from Gymboree that looks adorable with medium wash fitted blue jeans. It looked great during Christmas/New Year holidays and around Valentine day. DS picks out the outfit for the day and dresses himself and it's interesting to watch his choices. I am proud to say that he's got a good eye, and is better at this than DH.

We are in SF Bay area as well, and I see a lot of variety in the way moms and kids dress. I think it makes a difference where parents come from, what they do for a living and their socio-economic status. My main goal is to have DS dressed for the weather and type of activity he is going to engage in, but I like him to look cure and age appropriate as well. I don't buy too much clothes for DS and do take advantage of sales/outlets/TJ Maxx/Marshall's, so he has some pieces that would be considered expensive at full retail price. And I care about fashion, if only a tiny bit, so I have fun helping him figure out which pieces in his wardrobe work together. Plus he's got a body that does not have any flaws yet, unlike myself, so you can't go wrong :)

ETA: I love the 3 looks on pages 10-11 of LE catalog.
http://s7.landsend.com/s7ondemand/brochure/flash_brochure.jsp?company=LandsEnd&sku=P510_L410_eCatalog&config=P510_L410_eCatalog&el=large&wh=810

Elilly
02-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Ok, now that I've seen a pic of the outfit, that really helps. I was envisioning a tighter girl's pant with the term "yoga" pant. For me, this is more of a play outfit on a weekend or in the evening. DD wears this type of outfit to her sports practices, gymnastics etc. If my kids did not attend a school with a uniform policy, they would likely wear jeans etc for school. I personally don't think that anything is "wrong" with that type of outfit, but I guess my style is just a bit more formal.

ETA: I would be more likely to dress my daughter in pages 42-43 if given the option.

spunkybaby
02-20-2010, 09:16 PM
DDs wear knit leggings (not super tight) and longish knit tops all the time. And I think the yoga pants and tops are fine too. I think it's a little funny that jeans are considered formal since I've always thought denim was considered casual, but I am no fashion plate and do not have trendy jeans etc.

DDs wear what's comfortable and cute. They don't like button-down shirts or collars/turtlenecks. They don't even like sweaters or sweatshirts. DD1 likes dresses, but DD2 doesn't. I guess it just boils down to different people have different tastes and find different things comfortable and appropriate. :o

bubbaray
02-20-2010, 09:24 PM
I too am puzzled with jeans being considered more formal than knit pants. I would rather have my daughters in knit pants than in jeans.

DrSally
02-20-2010, 09:35 PM
And of course, as soon as I said that I thought the catalog probably is on line!

For girls, this is what the outfit I posted above looks like.

Huh. If that doesn't take you to the right page, it's pages 28-29. You can use the drop down box to go there directly vs paging through the catalog.

That outfit is totally fine IMO. Those particular yoga pants aren't tight, like leggings. I think people are referring to tight leggings with a shorter shirt (as opposed to tight leggings with a hip length or longer tunic/shirt, etc.). I love to put DD in knit or fleece pants in the winter with a cute gymbo or Carter's onsie (say pink fleece pull on pants and a cream colored onsie with a pink bunny and trim, maybe a pink cardy on top of that). I think as long as the fit is good and there are no stains/holes, that knits look fine.

DrSally
02-20-2010, 09:40 PM
FWIW, it prob varies regionally and even locally, what is considered gym vs. nicer clothes. Like I said, DS prefers sweats (the fleece kind wo/the elastic at the bottom) with a nice t-shirt with a coordinating design. Sometimes he wears jeans or cords with said t-shirt or a polo and sometimes a sweater (combo of ON, TCP, some gymbo or Gap). His teachers complimented me on how nicely he is always dressed. I think condition of clothes and fit contribute to the overall look. I always tend to overbuy, so none of the kids clothes are "worn out" looking.

bluestar2
02-20-2010, 09:40 PM
I don't want to speak for Bluestar, but I think she actually was saying it DOESN'T matter what you kids are wearing, being respectful etc is more important.

ETA: in other words, I don't think she was saying those clothes are disrespectful.

Thank you.

clc053103
02-20-2010, 09:44 PM
DS is only in preschool. However, track pants are extremely popular in our elementary schools and he will surely wear them when he starts next year, and definitely for phys ed day.

I think the girl's yoga pants are particularly cute!

DrSally
02-20-2010, 09:46 PM

That's how I read her post too.

Elilly
02-20-2010, 09:47 PM
I too am puzzled with jeans being considered more formal than knit pants. I would rather have my daughters in knit pants than in jeans.

I don't know that jeans are more formal but the tops that are chosen make the outfit more formal. So, in my opinion, a nice sweater etc with jeans is "dressier" than knitwear in general.

MelissaTC
02-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Our DC do on non-uniform days. In this area, the athletic pants are worn about as frequently as jeans by grade school boys.

Same here. He hates anything constricting so we tend to stick to knit pants, sweats and athletic pants. I make him wear nicer jeans or cords/khakis for church and other special occasions but otherwise, I prefer him to be comfortable. I am more of a jeans./khakis kind of person but obviously my kid isn't.

Ceepa
02-20-2010, 09:52 PM
That outfit is totally fine IMO. Those particular yoga pants aren't tight, like leggings. I think people are referring to tight leggings with a shorter shirt (as opposed to tight leggings with a hip length or longer tunic/shirt, etc.).

Right. It's not the knit material that I don't care for personally it's more the tighter fit you see often with some kids' yoga-style pants and most leggings. And then pair those with a shirt that stops at the waist and I really don't like the look on girls. Love them with dresses, skirts or longer tops, though.

And I agree that no young kid wants to deal with snaps and zippers, I like elastic waists for the younger set.

bluestar2
02-20-2010, 09:55 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with that outfit at all.

HIU8
02-20-2010, 09:55 PM
DD has 2 pair of yoga pants currently that she wears to preschool.

The athletic pants and sweatpants and jeans are all DS wears.

hellokitty
02-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Of course, my boys have gone to school wearing athletic pants! I mean, it's hard enough to find any kind of variety when it comes to boy clothes to begin with, everyone agrees that boys got the shaft compared to girls in the clothing dept. It's not uncommon in our area for boys to dress like that. I do not think it looks sloppy. I think it looks worse when boys have jeans that are falling off of their a$$. I'd rather have them wearing a t-shirt and streamlined athletic pants than some of the other really baggy pants/short styles. Oh and yes my kids do dress really preppy too, but I don't snub my nose at the idea of kids (boys or girls) wearing athletic pants to school. It is more comfy. I hated jeans when I was a kid, I did not even wear my first pr of jeans until mid-way through high school, b/c I thought they were uncomfortable and ugly. Even now as an adult, I don't really like jeans that much.

Corie
02-20-2010, 10:50 PM
My daughter has yoga pants but only wears them at home. I wouldn't send
her to school in them.

My son has some athletic-looking pants like the pair pictured. He's only
in preschool. He wears them occasionally. He'll pick his mini-Boden army
pants first, then his jeans, then his mini-Boden cords.

But, I also wouldn't walk around town in yoga pants/athletic pants/sweatpants.

kijip
02-20-2010, 10:58 PM
When T was in preschool and still needing to get to the potty fast, I would use open bottom all cotton sweat pants or elastic waist jeans.

T won't wear sweats that are elastic at the ankles and is not happy with it at the waist either. And he can't wear the track-suit type materials because he overheats or scratches. So he wears mostly jeans, cords and thicker khaki material type pants. He is 6 and in the 1st grade, so I go with what he is comfortable in.

Shirts are almost always a t-shirt with a sweater or hoodie. It's a little chilly in his classroom sometimes. He has t-shirts almost exactly like the one you linked to.

Asianmommy
02-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I think those outfits are cute & appropriate for our public school. As long as they don't fit too tightly, I don't see a problem with them.

mom_hanna
02-21-2010, 12:35 AM
I would and do send both ds and dd to school in those outfits. Many of the other kids in their classes come dressed in t-shirts and athletic/yoga pants as well. I think it's cute!

kayte
02-21-2010, 01:22 AM

Like Beth I am fascinated by the comments in this thread.

And agree with Mamicka--they are kids. DD is always in yoga pants or leggings (with shirts, dress, skirts, etc..) because she can climb, jump and play in them the way her body was meant to move. She hates jeans----I coaxed her into them for ice skating and our 8 inches of snow--- she says they are not comfortable (she's a skinny size 5) and aren't good for climbing a tree!

ETA- I just looked up the wording for DD's school's dress code (the school goes through age 12)

Dress
To maintain a peaceful environment, children should wear comfortable play clothes, free from violent or disrespectful pictures and words. It is important that children be allowed to get dirty and not fear doing so. Their clothes will be exposed to paint, water, mud, chalk, pastels, glitter, etc. Bring a pair of mud boots to leave at the school.

s7714
02-21-2010, 03:04 AM
My DDs wear those yoga type pants and leggings every day. Neither one owns a single pair of jeans. My older DD is a string bean, and I haven't found any structured pants that fit her nicely in the waist while being long enough. Even the rare pair that comes close, she refuses to wear because she doesn't think they're comfortable. So since it's easy to get a good, comfortable fit with the athletic pants and leggings, that's what they both wear.

Also considering that my DD has 2-3 outdoor recess periods daily and PE three times a week, IMO it's good to dress her in athletic type clothing that allows her to move freely.

I'd say a large majority of kids wear that type of clothing to school around here. But it is CA and I think we're a little more relaxed about dress codes than in other places. ;)

Globetrotter
02-21-2010, 04:22 AM
I certainly would, especially the girl's outfit. She will only wear comfortable clothes so she wears a LOT of Naartjie knit pants, for instance. She is skinny so I often have to tuck in the waist a bit. She hasn't worn form fitting pants or leggings in years.. and when she did I only liked them dresses or longer tops.

DS will ONLY wear what he calls "comfy pants" and lives in fleece and sweats for school, and I found these wonderfully soft cords from the Gap two years go (but never found them again - loved those because they looked nice, too). I can sometimes convince him to wear dress pants for parties. I'm not into the athletic wear look for him, but it wouldn't bother me at all.

Globetrotter
02-21-2010, 04:33 AM
Originally Posted by mamicka http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/images/buttons2/viewpost.gif (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2635332#post2635332)

:yeahthat: ITA I hope my kids don't get hung up on what they wear to school! Our school recommends comfortable PLAY clothes that can get dirty and messy. They don't WANT the kids to wear nice clothes!!

I'd say a large majority of kids wear that type of clothing to school around here. But it is CA and I think we're a little more relaxed about dress codes than in other places. ;)

Must be a CA thing (Northern CA for sure). Frankly, I am REALLY surprised at these threads - never gave it much thought. I guess we fit in here, though I love to dress up and dress up the kids outside of school, when they will let me! But that's my choice.. it would bug me if that was the expectation.

To give perspective, dh is a director and wears JEANS to the office except when there is an important external meeting (maybe dress pants) and that is the NORM here, and something we love. I am a CA gal all the way!

egoldber
02-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Must be a CA thing (Northern CA for sure).

No, I don't think so. I think some people are more formal than others. The clothes are linked to are worn by 90% of the kids at our school. Many kids do wear jeans every day, but I think most kids wear a mix of jeans and activewear.

Our preschool's policy also says comfortable play clothes. But some people find jeans comfy. Personally I find them uncomfy and restrictive, which is a bias of mine. :)

The school district's policy is pretty vague IMO.

Here is the policy:

FCPS expects students to come to school dressed in proper attire for school activities. Clothing should fit, be neat and clean, and conform to standards of decency. FCPS does not permit:

* Clothing with improper language or images.
* Sagging or low-cut pants, low-cut necklines, tube tops, halter tops, spaghetti straps, backless blouses or blouses with only ties in the back, and clothing constructed of see-through materials.
* Head coverings, such as scarves or bandannas, unless required for religious or medical reasons.

Tennis shoes or shoes with rubber soles are necessary for physical education classes and active recess play in the elementary schools.

sidmand
02-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Both of my DS's have worn sweatpants to school. They are autistic and for potty training purposes I was asked to send them in pants that were elastic waist. The school said the understood how it would be difficult to send a child to school daily in sweat pants but we needed to look at the big picture.

I never put DS in sweatpants, even at home. I usually don't wear them myself. But then school asked that we always send him in elastic waist pants so he could be more independent when using the bathroom. It's very difficult to find elastic waist pants that aren't sweats! We have done. I have one pair of jeans (and so wish we could fine more) and a couple pair of pants, but most are sweats. I don't like it but it does make it much easier for him. I'm not sure how long that'll be. Probably K at least but then I hope to move back to regular jeans!

tsem
02-21-2010, 09:43 AM
This thread is so interesting. I have two boys (4th grade and 2nd grade) and they would love to wear athletic pants everyday. The majority of the boys in their public school wear athletic pants daily. I let my boys only wear them on Fridays. It is jeans on the other days. I think they look sloppy in athletic pants. I wore a uniform to school growing up and I think their jeans are casual and comfy enough. They can wear whatever shirt they want- they don't like shirts with writing. I do let my dd (Kindy) wear the type of pants shown. She dislikes jeans as they don't fit her well. She tends to wear skirts with leggings underneath.
Traci

JBaxter
02-21-2010, 09:44 AM

I never put DS in sweatpants, even at home. I usually don't wear them myself. But then school asked that we always send him in elastic waist pants so he could be more independent when using the bathroom. It's very difficult to find elastic waist pants that aren't sweats! We have done. I have one pair of jeans (and so wish we could fine more) and a couple pair of pants, but most are sweats. I don't like it but it does make it much easier for him. I'm not sure how long that'll be. Probably K at least but then I hope to move back to regular jeans!

Childrens place ( adjustable elastic waist cargos & athletic) Kohl's jumping beans brand elastic waisted athletic pants, walmart garanimals elastic waisted jeans and pants, Gap and old navy and sears also carry ( or at least Ive found them there) pants < non sweat pant material> pull on pants

Its a recurring theme with my boys. NONE have like jeans or snap/button pants until at lest 2nd/3rd grade. I dress mine comfortable they are very active boys and they take about 2 second in the bathroom. I dont think any of them owned a belt until middle school

g-mama
02-21-2010, 09:47 AM
I wanted to add that I like the girls' look of yoga pants/knit pants (esp under dresses or with cute tops) WAY WAY more than the boys' athletic pants look. My answers would absolutely be different if I had a girl to dress. (Why God, why? LOL) The boys' look is - to me - just not very cute. My feelings are most definitely colored by the fact that my dh enjoys dressing fashionably, where most men I know do not and could not care less. So I enjoy a certain look on my little boys and don't want them growing up to think only athletic apparel is comfortable or "cool." I see too many husbands around here who have no style and wear sports jersey-type stuff all weekend long and I don't personally like it. For girls, it can be very stylish and cute to wear knit clothing. I see tons of stuff at Gymboree, Gap, etc. for girls like this - often matched outfits - and it's darling.

Thought about this more last night and realized how different it is for boys and girls, in my mind.

sidmand
02-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Childrens place ( adjustable elastic waist cargos & athletic) Kohl's jumping beans brand elastic waisted athletic pants, walmart garanimals elastic waisted jeans and pants, Gap and old navy and sears also carry ( or at least Ive found them there) pants < non sweat pant material> pull on pants

Its a recurring theme with my boys. NONE have like jeans or snap/button pants until at lest 2nd/3rd grade. I dress mine comfortable they are very active boys and they take about 2 second in the bathroom. I dont think any of them owned a belt until middle school

Thank you! Good to know. I will definitely check those out. I love the elastic waist jeans we have and they came as an outfit at TJ Maxx and I've been looking all over for something like that.

Corie
02-21-2010, 09:58 AM
I wanted to add that I like the girls' look of yoga pants/knit pants (esp under dresses or with cute tops) WAY WAY more than the boys' athletic pants look. My answers would absolutely be different if I had a girl to dress. (Why God, why? LOL) The boys' look is - to me - just not very cute. Could be colored by the fact that my dh enjoys dressing fashionably, where most men I know do not and could not care less. So I enjoy a certain look on my little boys and don't want them growing up to think only athletic apparel is comfortable or "cool." I see too many husbands around here who have no style and wear sports jersey-type stuff all weekend long and I don't personally like it. For girls, it can be very stylish and cute to wear knit clothing. I see tons of stuff at Gymboree, Gap, etc. for girls like this - often matched outfits - and it's darling.

Thought about this more last night and realized how different it is for boys and girls, in my mind.

So true!! My husband would never be caught dead in athletic-type pants
or sweatpants! Since my husband doesn't dress that way, I don't normally
buy those clothes for my son.

egoldber
02-21-2010, 10:09 AM
I do think that we dress our kids as extensions of ourselves. My preferred (non-work) "uniform" is yoga pants, sometimes jeans, and a t-shirt. So I guess that's how I dress my kids. DH pointed out to me at one point that I was dressing older DD exactly how I dress myself. It was :rotflmao: and :bag at the same time.

caleymama
02-21-2010, 10:45 AM
I wanted to add that I like the girls' look of yoga pants/knit pants (esp under dresses or with cute tops) WAY WAY more than the boys' athletic pants look. My answers would absolutely be different if I had a girl to dress. (Why God, why? LOL) The boys' look is - to me - just not very cute. Could be colored by the fact that my dh enjoys dressing fashionably, where most men I know do not and could not care less. So I enjoy a certain look on my little boys and don't want them growing up to think only athletic apparel is comfortable or "cool." I see too many husbands around here who have no style and wear sports jersey-type stuff all weekend long and I don't personally like it. For girls, it can be very stylish and cute to wear knit clothing. I see tons of stuff at Gymboree, Gap, etc. for girls like this - often matched outfits - and it's darling.

I think this is a good point. DDs' knit clothes are often "outfits" and that's how they wear them to school. They usually only do the more sloppy random shirt and knit pants for hanging around. For example, DD2 has a pair of the LE yoga pants from the original link that are brown with butterflies on them and she wears them paired with a coordinating pink cardigan sweater that has sweet ruffly trim. In fact that's what she wore on school picture day! So sure, she's wearing knit yoga pants, but the overall outfit is not athletic or super casual. It *is* comfy, though, and doesn't hold her up in the bathroom. DDs (well, not so much DD1 anymore) also have a lot of the Gymbo type knit sets with longer tops or dresses and leggings.

For every time they wear yoga or athletic pants, there are probably 2 times that they wear jeans + sweater, corduroys, a dress + leggings, or some other non-jean non-knit pants. Like some of the other kids mentioned, DDs have PE 2x a week and also often do physical after school activities (thank you PTA :)) like gym, jump rope, yoga, etc. where it's important for them to be in appropriate clothing.

I also agree that it's a matter of perspective. DH grew up attending Catholic school and never wore jeans to school a day in his life. That carried over into how he dressed when he was teaching (public school) and to a degree how he feels DDs should dress for school. He's gotten more casual as he's gotten older, though, and I think this is partly due to his career change b/c he now wears a uniform at work and he just isn't maintaining the nicer part of his wardrobe the same way. He's very outdoorsy and athletic and I think his wardrobe reflects that, but not in a sports jersey kind of way - more EMS and REI.

JTsMom
02-21-2010, 11:14 AM
These threads have been really interesting. We live in an extremely casual area, and frankly, that's one of the things I love about living here. DS's school is more interested in getting the kids to wear something comfortable and not so precious that it would be a tragedy to get paint on it, kwim? One of the teacher's sons has shown up in costumes on more than one occasion. DS has worn a top hat. Everyone thinks the kids look adorable, and are glad that they are having fun. They can bring toys (although they will spend most of the day in their cubby), they can wear hats, they can bring loveys.

Athletic pants/clothing would be 100% acceptable- even encouraged. DS doesn't own tons of them, and the ones he does own, he doesn't wear that often, but I can't imagine telling him something like that is not appropriate for school. He's 4! He plays in the dirt and rolls around on the ground. If he wants to wear athletic pants, he can have at it.

I typically don't chose that type of clothing for myself b/c it just isn't very flattering on me, but I've seen plenty of moms who can pull off more athletic looking outfits.

alien_host
02-21-2010, 11:18 AM
This thread is very interesting, I'm surprised at the number of people that dislike yoga/athletic pants for kids, I had no idea!

DD goes to preschool. 90% of the time she wears Gymboree leggings with a top (usually several inches past her waist). She might wear a dress with leggings underneath. She never wears jeans to school (rarely other times either) b/c she complains that the adjustable waist buttons cut into her, she is very thin and needs an adjustable waist, and I totally see how they are uncomfortable.

She does it for comfort and ease for using the bathroom. She also has swimming once a week and needs something that is easy to take off/put back on.

FWIW I typically don't wear yoga pants/sweats when I leave the house. Usually jeans, capris or shorts depending on the weather. But for her it seems practical....it is really a major fashion faux pas for young kids to dress like this?

I'm going to look more closely tomorrow to see what the other kids are wearing b/c now I'm curious!

g-mama
02-21-2010, 11:23 AM
I can't imagine telling him something like that is not appropriate for school. He's 4! He plays in the dirt and rolls around on the ground. If he wants to wear athletic pants, he can have at it.

This is another factor that will affect one's input on this thread. I am really talking about my elementary school-aged kids. They are in K and 3rd and are not rolling around on the ground or playing in dirt. We read people's opinions and apply them to the age that our own children are, which does not always translate.

kayte
02-21-2010, 11:41 AM
This is another factor that will affect one's input on this thread. I am really talking about my elementary school-aged kids. They are in K and 3rd and are not rolling around on the ground or playing in dirt. We read people's opinions and apply them to the age that our own children are, which does not always translate.

Actually all children 12 or under should be rolling on the ground, climbing things, running, skipping, jumping, splashing in water and mud etc... But I will agree that those are no longer the societal norms in America and saddens me. I see the nine year old girls sitting on the picnic tables at the park texting instead of swing, it's truly a shame.

g-mama
02-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Actually all children 12 or under should be rolling on the ground, climbing things, running, skipping, jumping, splashing in water and mud etc... But I will agree that those are no longer the societal norms in America and saddens me. I see the nine year old girls sitting on the picnic tables at the park texting instead of swing, it's truly a shame.

Oh, they do. They are maniacs at home and given free reign to climb, roll, jump, play in water and mud - at home. If you can imagine my home with three young boys, it's full-on action and noise and roughhousing, both inside and outside pretty much all the time. At school, no. At recess, they play on the equipment, swing, play tag, etc. but they're not coming home with dirt-covered pants so I think it's a bit tamer.

egoldber
02-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Do you not find your kids movement restricted by wearing jeans/cords on the playground? I think all the schools in our district have basically the same equipment. The kids are swinging from monkey bars and handing upside down on the rails, etc.

Maybe it's that girls jeans tend to fit tighter than boys jeans? I really just can't imagine her doing any running around or PE (other than the times they have shuffleboard or bowling which is a kvetch for another day.....) in jeans.

Ceepa
02-21-2010, 12:20 PM

I think she means at school. I don't want my fifth-grader rolling around in water and mud before going back into class for the afternoon. I'm sure we're all OK with our kids running and skipping and jumping. :tongue5:

egoldber
02-21-2010, 12:22 PM
I did tour a private school this year that I was considering and they very much had mud and splashing on their playground. They asked the kids to bring in changes of clothes and shoes. This was a K-8 school next to a nature preserve. I thought it was wonderful.

g-mama
02-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Beth - not at all. It's the difference between girls and boys pants. I see the girls wearing jeans and cords and they are definitely tighter-fitting (the style, not that a too-small size) than the boys. I have to get my 6yo "slim" sizes not because of the waist so much, but because the overall bagginess in the legs in the regular size 6s look like clown pants on his smallish frame. I think this whole discussion has varied wildly much because of the differences in styles of pants for girls vs. boys. Now that you say it, I think I'd be uncomfortable in many of the girls pants I see.

Ceepa
02-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Do you not find your kids movement restricted by wearing jeans/cords on the playground? I think all the schools in our district have basically the same equipment. The kids are swinging from monkey bars and handing upside down on the rails, etc.

Maybe it's that girls jeans tend to fit tighter than boys jeans? I really just can't imagine her doing any running around or PE (other than the times they have shuffleboard or bowling which is a kvetch for another day.....) in jeans.

I could wrap my kids in tight burlap casing and they would find a way to play like lunatics on playground equipment.

I did tour a private school this year that I was considering and they very much had mud and splashing on their playground. They asked the kids to bring in changes of clothes and shoes. This was a K-8 school next to a nature preserve. I thought it was wonderful.
My kids would need an available shower! Just yesterday they went for a walk with DH and came home covered in mud, carrying sticks and bunches of wet leaves from hair to between the toes (how does that happen when they're wearing socks??) They scrambled into my lap to show me treasures and we all needed to scrub up afterward. :)

JTsMom
02-21-2010, 12:27 PM

Maybe it's geography too, b/c in GA, if you play outside, you're probably going to end up with at least some red clay on your clothes. DS is extremely active, so that probably factors in too. But, what if they are playing softball/T-ball/baseball? Do they not ever slide? Don't they ever drop from the jungle gym monkey bars and land on their behinds? How about if they paint in art class? Do they change for gym? My background is in elementary ed, and I've seen lots of dirty (not filthy, but normal kid dirty) kids coming in from recess and/or gym. Maybe in FL (where I lived at that point), everyone is so used to getting hot and sweaty that they dress more casually to accommodate that.

JTsMom
02-21-2010, 12:29 PM
To me, kids playing is a lot like us going to the gym. I can't imagine exercising in jeans, kwim? Even baggy ones. I'd be miserable.

egoldber
02-21-2010, 12:34 PM
My older DD simply refuses to wear jeans on PE day. The PE teacher told them at the beginning of the year to try not to wear jeans on PE day and since then she's had hysterics if the only pants she has clean on Wednesday or Friday is jeans! The downside to having the super duper rule follower.....

bluestar2
02-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Actually all children 12 or under should be rolling on the ground, climbing things, running, skipping, jumping, splashing in water and mud etc... But I will agree that those are no longer the societal norms in America and saddens me.

There is truth in this, and I agree it is sad, but it isn't because of the type of clothing kids wear. In past decades, unless they lived on a farm, kids were dressed more formally than they are today. Wearing jeans does not mean that kids cannot play in them, or that they are uncomfortable. Wasn't denim created to be durable and used for work? I find that jeans and other sturdy fabrics afford my kids more protection from abrasive surfaces like tree bark, rocks and logs and actually allows them to play more freely. They don't complain that they are uncomfortable (I wouldn't buy clothes that were). What DC complains about every day are... socks. :shrug:

g-mama
02-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Maybe it's geography too, b/c in GA, if you play outside, you're probably going to end up with at least some red clay on your clothes. DS is extremely active, so that probably factors in too. But, what if they are playing softball/T-ball/baseball? Do they not ever slide? Don't they ever drop from the jungle gym monkey bars and land on their behinds? How about if they paint in art class? Do they change for gym? My background is in elementary ed, and I've seen lots of dirty (not filthy, but normal kid dirty) kids coming in from recess and/or gym. Maybe in FL (where I lived at that point), everyone is so used to getting hot and sweaty that they dress more casually to accommodate that.

Yes, they do drop from monkey bars, get paint on them at art class, and get their pants dirty sometimes, but they'd get any pants they wearing (jeans or athletic pants) dirty. I'm not sending them in clothes that can't get dirty like dress khakis or anything. They're in wash and wear clothes and they are comfortable in them - I'm pretty sure they'd tell me if they weren't. They have no issues complaining about anything else, LOL.

JTsMom
02-21-2010, 12:40 PM
I guess my point is if you are going to have paint and dirt on your clothes, does is the style that critical?

ETA: And DS typically does wear jeans, khakis, cords, etc. b/c he chooses to do so- I don't have a problem with that at all. I just don't understand the problem with wearing more athletic looking stuff, considering the "job" kids do.

Globetrotter
02-21-2010, 01:08 PM

:yeahthat: I am so thankful that my ten year old dd isn't interested in clothes and still adores the monkey bars and playing catch. I know the day will come when she would rather sit around and talk, but I hope to postpone it as long as possible. Now keep in mind I do love to dress up my kids and myself, to the point that people often comment on it, but when they go to school or the park, comfort is the priority and they are unhappy in anything restrictive. I also think they both have some mild sensory issues (not sure that I'm wording this right) or maybe they are just plain picky.

DD likes to wear jeans, so she wears them quite a bit, along with her knit dresses, tops and pants. Other than jeans, she wears mostly knits. DS pretty much lives in knits. I'm fed up of them rejecting "itchy" clothes or clothing with tags, so I make them wear everything to make sure they like it, or it goes back! This is why he wears a lot of Hanna and Naartjie on dress-up days - he agrees to wear them because they are comfortable.

We live in an area with a lot of Asian immigrants, and clothing is not the emphasis at all. I've even seen younger kids come to school in clothes that are obviously pjs!! (not on pajama day!) I wonder if the parents even realize it... it doesn't really bother me and I understand there may be some cultural misunderstanding, even though it looks odd to me.

kayte
02-21-2010, 01:11 PM
There is truth in this, and I agree it is sad, but it isn't because of the type of clothing kids wear.

I do think that the clothes we put on children do have an impact on this.

Whether it's telling them they need to look clean and proper to be respectful to teachers or learning (or dressing them more formally if their grades change) or dressing them in clothes that are truly adult styles that propitiate making young and young children feel as though they aren't children but small adults, to buying them expensive clothes (and telling them about the price) that they are afraid to get dirty or ruined, to dressing them in things that don't work with their bodies--- I think all of those things do factor into the stigma that tweeners shouldn't behave like what they actually are, playful children (though there are certainly other things too).

billysmommy
02-21-2010, 01:29 PM
DS1 is 6.5 and loves to dress nice but he much prefers the "feel" of the fleece lounge pants he has. He says his jeans and cords get too cold when the wind blows up them. We've found some great pants from Old Navy and Gap that are cargo pants in khaki, gray, brown and green canvas that are lined in fleece or flannel. He LOVES these pants. They are so comfy and easy to play in but they also look great with a button-up shirt. Plus the extra layer makes them "tougher" for the playground.

baymom
02-21-2010, 02:17 PM
The girls' pant and top, definitely. As for the boys' probably not. I do see boys at school dressed in similar clothes all the time, but DS (in kinder) is already extremely particular about his clothes and wouldn't be caught dead in those. He's a very preppy dresser. :-)

kijip
02-21-2010, 02:26 PM

T is really active on the playground - running, crawling in the garden, climbing the play structures etc. His jeans and cords are far from snug or tight, but they are not baggy either. He has never complained. He did most of the kids marathon log at recess time at school.

bluestar2
02-21-2010, 02:29 PM

Whether it's telling them they need to look clean and proper to be respectful to teachers or learning (or dressing them more formally if their grades change) or dressing them in clothes that are truly adult styles that propitiate making young and young children feel as though they aren't children but small adults, to buying them expensive clothes (and telling them about the price) that they are afraid to get dirty or ruined, to dressing them in things that don't work with their bodies--- I think all of those things do factor into the stigma that tweeners shouldn't behave like what they actually are, playful children (though there are certainly other things too).

I don't know, I can only speak for myself. I guess I don't really consider wearing jeans and a t-shirt for school "dressed up" or "adult" styling. It isn't my place to judge what other kids wear to school, as I would not want my kids to be judged for how they are dressed. DC don't care what they wear (except for the socks!) and I get a stamp of approval for comfort before buying clothes. They have no idea what brands are, and we go to a mall maybe once a year. Their clothes are not expensive or fancy by any means and they have no idea what they cost. I don't think they hinder DC's activities in any way.

kijip
02-21-2010, 02:40 PM

Wait a second now, my dad went to school in the 1940s and early 50s. By all accounts, kids played outside then more and were generally fitter than today and did little TV and obviously no texting, video games etc. And he went to school in a button down shirt with a collar, a sweater vest and wool slacks with a belt (there was a rule that he was not allowed to wear only a shirt, three articles of clothing required for boys). Now that would be dressed up for Sunday or Christmas...back then he wore a suit on Sundays and dress days at school. He got home and first thing they had to change into play clothes- jeans and t-shirts. There were NO yoga pants. He was not allowed to wear jeans to school unless there was some sort of really messy field trip planned. I don't think that formality in dress eliminates playfulness, which is inherent in children (especially in the absence of vast screen time). My grandmother grumbled about how when they started allowing polo shirts at school (when my dad was in high school), it was too casual, LOL. Screen time has far, far, far more to do with people not playing as much in 2010 as in 1947 than dress norms.

My dad did not go to a rich prep school, he came from a middle class background and had similar dress policies at both public and Catholic schools in Denver.

I don't care if other kids wear track suits to school. But the fact that jeans and cords are what work for my son best (and admittedly fit in with how my husband and I tend to dress, you are right about that Beth) does not mean I am dressing him restrictively. Since when are jeans and cords dress or formal anyways? :) Judging from the knees that wear out and the splecks of mud and dirt on his clothing after rolling in our yard, I am figuring that he is not feeling limited.

stefani
02-21-2010, 03:12 PM
The tops look like regular shirts, so yes, I would put DS in that, and if I have a DD I will put her in the shirt. The pants, I would put a girl in the yoga pants but not DS in that athletic pants.

DS still wears mostly pull-on pants, jeans, cords, twills. I buy a lot from RuggedBearOnline DOT com. Just recently I am transitioning to hook and zip pants, and DS will exclaim: "I hate this pants!" as he puts them on. It is getting harder to find pull-on (elastic waist) pants as he is older.

g-mama
02-21-2010, 03:13 PM

Okay, you win. ;)

I have said that I could not care less and pass no judgment on the child or the parent who dresses the child who wears athletic pants to school. Yet it seems that some insist on judging me and accusing me of forcing my children to be restricted-in-their-movement, inactive, uncomfortable and mini-adults. I'm going to go share this with my extremely active, fun-loving, never-stop-moving, rough and tumble boys and see how hard they laugh.

Corie
02-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Yes, they do drop from monkey bars, get paint on them at art class, and get their pants dirty sometimes, but they'd get any pants they wearing (jeans or athletic pants) dirty. I'm not sending them in clothes that can't get dirty like dress khakis or anything. They're in wash and wear clothes and they are comfortable in them - I'm pretty sure they'd tell me if they weren't. They have no issues complaining about anything else, LOL.

I completely agree with everything you said! I'm right there with you.

bubbaray
02-21-2010, 03:33 PM
I've lost track on this thread, but can someone who d/n dress their children in knits (particularly girls), explain why? Do you not like the "look" -- why? Is it that your children don't like the look?

Is there something wrong with the look? I'm asking b/c I'm puzzled. I've always seen "yoga" pants (knit pants -- LE, Gymbo, etc) as dressier than jeans.

I'm also differentiating yoga pants (with a wider leg) from what I call leggings, which are tighter fitting (though my girls wear those too, but typically under dresses).

Corie
02-21-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm not sending them in clothes that can't get dirty like dress khakis or anything.

Damn! I hate when my daughter comes home from elementary school
with grass/dirt/paint stains on her formal white organza dresses. It just
ticks me off!

g-mama
02-21-2010, 03:40 PM
damn! I hate when my daughter comes home from elementary school
ticks me off!

:rotflmao:

Or worse, when my son forgets to roll up the sleeves on his blazer during art class, or tuck his tie into his shirt during lunch and gets spaghetti sauce on it.

KrisM
02-21-2010, 03:57 PM
I've lost track on this thread, but can someone who d/n dress their children in knits (particularly girls), explain why? Do you not like the "look" -- why? Is it that your children don't like the look?

Is there something wrong with the look? I'm asking b/c I'm puzzled. I've always seen "yoga" pants (knit pants -- LE, Gymbo, etc) as dressier than jeans.

I'm also differentiating yoga pants (with a wider leg) from what I call leggings, which are tighter fitting (though my girls wear those too, but typically under dresses).

For me, it's mostly because DD is not a skinny girl and I do not like the skin tight look of the leggings on her. She has a bigger build than a lot of the little girls in her class. We were at a neighbor's house a few weeks ago and she had a potty accident there. We borrowed pants and they were knit. On the owner, who is the same age, they are baggy. On DD, I had to work to get them on and they were tight.

I haven't tried the LE brand, but I've tried brands labeled Yoga pants at other places without much luck.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have much issue with it. I might order a pair from LE and see how they fit her.

Generally, I size up and get capris. They're long enough to be pants and big enough to actually fit her waist and butt.

KrisM
02-21-2010, 03:59 PM
All of DS's pants that he wears to school, jeans and cords, are elastic waist in size 5 or 6. They aren't tight or restricting and he can play in them just fine. If they get dirty, I don't care.

egoldber
02-21-2010, 04:44 PM
I guess I keep bringing up the comfort thing, because *I* personally cannot imagine running around and playing on the playground in any pair of jeans I have ever owned. :ROTFLMAO: Maybe I have subliminally passed on this message to my kids or maybe I am a carrier for an anti-jeans chromosome. ;) I do think that boys jeans are different from girls jeans. They have a more roomy cut.

I had a pair of girls cargo pants for Sarah from LLBean a few years ago, and I have yet to find anything quite like them again.

Hmm. Now I am wondering if these are the new version:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/61307?parentCategory=503555&cat4=503360&pi=1014432&display_id=258517&feat=503555-tn&catalog_id=TA&from=&rtnComp=&attrValue_2=Khaki

And we do need some new non-knit pants for her because she is going to a horseback riding camp this summer and they require non-knit pants. :eek:

caleymama
02-21-2010, 04:47 PM
I have said that I could not care less and pass no judgment on the child or the parent who dresses the child who wears athletic pants to school. Yet it seems that some insist on judging me and accusing me of forcing my children to be restricted-in-their-movement, inactive, uncomfortable and mini-adults. I'm going to go share this with my extremely active, fun-loving, never-stop-moving, rough and tumble boys and see how hard they laugh.

I hope I'm not in this category - things translate weird online sometimes. I know I quoted a previous response above, but I was nodding my head to what you were saying. I'm not sure if that was clear by my response and I wanted to make sure that was understood.

Like I said in the thread about pjs in public, I think there's a grey area where one person's sloppy is another person's casual. I think some knits (plain sweats with elastic ankles) are inherently more casual and can more easily slide into the sloppy category. I think other knits are easier to dress up or make look more tailored.

I do agree with the PPs that for kids, the focus should be on being comfortable and able to play, use the bathroom, etc. I think that can be achieved in many ways and there are as many different ways to meet that goal as there are families on here. What's comfortable for one kid might not be for another, what flatters one kid might not flatter another, and what meets one family's standards for appropriateness for a given event might not meet another family's.

DrSally
02-21-2010, 04:48 PM
I do think that we dress our kids as extensions of ourselves. My preferred (non-work) "uniform" is yoga pants, sometimes jeans, and a t-shirt. So I guess that's how I dress my kids. DH pointed out to me at one point that I was dressing older DD exactly how I dress myself. It was :rotflmao: and :bag at the same time.

That is cute and funny! I guess I tend to wear a lot of red and black b/c one day DS said, "Your favorite color is red and black, and Daddy's favorite color is brown!"

KpbS
02-21-2010, 04:49 PM
And we do need some new non-knit pants for her because she is going to a horseback riding camp this summer and they require non-knit pants. :eek:

Definitely need some jeans for horseback riding :)

bubbaray
02-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Definitely need some jeans for horseback riding :)

Unless its an English camp.... Jodpuhrs are definitely knit/stretchy.

o_mom
02-21-2010, 04:59 PM
I guess I keep bringing up the comfort thing, because *I* personally cannot imagine running around and playing on the playground in any pair of jeans I have ever owned. :ROTFLMAO: Maybe I have subliminally passed on this message to my kids or maybe I am a carrier for an anti-jeans chromosome. ;)

I think I have the anti-cords gene, myself. Though DH would tell you it was the overdose of cordoroy we got as children of the 70's.

One thing I haven't seen yet in thread is where you get your kids' clothes. Ninety percent of our clothes are hand-me-downs here. I can't see going out shopping for 'nicer' pants when we have 20-30 perfectly presentable pairs in the drawer already.

JTsMom
02-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Okay, you win. ;)

I'm going to go share this with my extremely active, fun-loving, never-stop-moving, rough and tumble boys and see how hard they laugh.

Damn! I hate when my daughter comes home from elementary school
ticks me off!

:rotflmao:

Or worse, when my son forgets to roll up the sleeves on his blazer during art class, or tuck his tie into his shirt during lunch and gets spaghetti sauce on it.

That's cool you guys. And I'll remember to tell my grubby little slob to either step it up and look more presentable and professional for his job at Paste Eating 101, or to keep his occasional-track-and-fleece-pant-wearing-cooties to himself. Wouldn't want his disrespectful self infecting the polo-wearing kids. I'll talk to him right after his bi-monthly bath. :p

Elilly
02-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Oh my, this is out of hand. I think it's safe to say that we all have a personal sense of style and comfort and that we impart that on our children. Enough said already :)

AnnieW625
02-21-2010, 08:26 PM
My girls wear yoga pants to school and daycare ALL.THE.TIME. DD#1 has the cutest faux-Lululemon yoga set that even her teachers have commented on (favorably, not negatively). I usually try to remember to send DD#1 in yoga pants on the days that she has yoga class at daycare, but she wears them on other days too.

I know Lululemon is popular here because it's packed everytime I go to the mall where the store is in Newport, but I can't tell you for the life of me what sets it apart from any other brand of black full length yoga pants, yoga capris, or a hoodie. :bag

Now back to the OP's question. I have sent DD to preschool in some black yoga style pants before, and just yesterday we bought two pairs of these at The Gap, as well as some striped shirts. I would not send a boy or a girl to school in track pants unless it was jog a thon or athletic events day.

Rainbow tee (we also got the pink striped tee):
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=49690&vid=1&pid=707535&scid=707535132

Yoga pants (we got these in grey, and lavender)
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=53774&vid=1&pid=707545&scid=707545012

I anticipate that DD will wear these to preschool or daycare.

fivi2
02-21-2010, 08:34 PM
I have been sending the girls to pre-k mostly in jeans (comfy, can get dirty jeans) lately because I feel like they get too cold in leggings or yoga style pants in the winter. They don't complain about comfort, but I think it does make pottying difficult.

So, my question is - do you guys do leggings/yoga pants even in the winter?

KrisM
02-21-2010, 08:37 PM
DD wears these: http://www.landsend.com/pp/SunLifePants~203650_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::PCO&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000411&origin=index

and some that are similar but cords.

DS wears things like this: http://www.landsend.com/pp/CargoClimberPants~201283_1188.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::KHA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00003__0000000328&origin=index, in both cords, jeans, and khakis.

I've never had them complain about comfort. They both have elastic waists, so no dealing with zippers and buttons/snaps. DS is skinny, so nothing is very tight on him :). I try very hard to keep things loose on DD as well.

egoldber
02-21-2010, 08:50 PM
do you guys do leggings/yoga pants even in the winter

We do except when it is really, really cold which is just not that often here. They also don't really have outdoor recess when it's below freezing. Sad, but true.

fivi2
02-21-2010, 08:58 PM
We do except when it is really, really cold which is just not that often here. They also don't really have outdoor recess when it's below freezing. Sad, but true.

lol - cold for us is below 50 :) So, I guess they'd be okay in leggings... It just seems like they'd be colder.

Thanks!

egoldber
02-21-2010, 09:02 PM
You have to start them young and toughen them up. ;)

But seriously, I tend to be warm blooded and so do my kids. I'm lucky if I can get my younger DD to wear a jacket in even the coldest weather (for here). It's a battle I choose not to fight with her anymore. I pick her up from daycare and she says "Mommy, I don't want to wear a jacket. If I want to be cold then that's my choice, right?" Wonder where she heard that. :bag

KrisM
02-21-2010, 09:04 PM
You have to start them young and toughen them up. ;)

But seriously, I tend to be warm blooded and so do my kids. I'm lucky if I can get my younger DD to wear a jacket in even the coldest weather (for here). It's a battle I choose not to fight with her anymore. I pick her up from daycare and she says "Mommy, I don't want to wear a jacket. If I want to be cold then that's my choice, right?" Wonder where she heard that. :bag

That's funny :rotflmao:

We do have outdoor recess if it's 10 deg or above, but they bring snowpants daily for that. And, really, running in snowpants and boots is way harder than running in jeans!

fivi2
02-21-2010, 09:05 PM
snip
I pick her up from daycare and she says "Mommy, I don't want to wear a jacket. If I want to be cold then that's my choice, right?" Wonder where she heard that. :bag

Oh man, you are in trouble :rotflmao: I get worried about our pre-teen years when they come up with things like that now!

kristenk
02-21-2010, 10:47 PM
That's funny :rotflmao:

We do have outdoor recess if it's 10 deg or above <snip>

I think it's pretty obvious that we live in very different areas! For DD's K class to go outside for recess, it has to be above 40 degrees!

I'm firmly in the knit camp. DD is a skinny kid and leggings actually fit her more like pants. I've found that Target's version of yoga pants fit DD wonderfully. I'm going to see about trying out the LE version for her!

KrisM
02-21-2010, 11:01 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that we live in very different areas! For DD's K class to go outside for recess, it has to be above 40 degrees!

I'm firmly in the knit camp. DD is a skinny kid and leggings actually fit her more like pants. I've found that Target's version of yoga pants fit DD wonderfully. I'm going to see about trying out the LE version for her!

Above 40 deg would put them in half the year! Most days, they are outside, which is good. There have been a few days this year that were too cold, but not too many, fortunately.

kransden
02-22-2010, 01:33 AM
Girls wore those pants at dd's old school (non-uniform), but it was mostly younger girls. Girls Sarah's age preferred to wear jeans. For some reason it was a jean heavy school. I have no idea why when they would go to school in 100+ degree weather! DD hates jeans and sometimes would get made fun of because of it.

egoldber
02-22-2010, 08:11 AM
FWIW, Sarah actually does wear jeans/cords/khakis to school. She wears the yoga/athletic type pants on PE days and the days she has the after school running program, which is about half the year (12 weeks in the fall and 12 weeks in the spring).

I hope no one was offended in this thread. When I started it I was just curious based on a comment in the UK PJ thread. I really never dreamed it would get heated in spots. And if anyone thought I was making fun of anyone, truly the only person that I ever intended to make fun of was myself. :tongue5:

Corie
02-22-2010, 10:08 AM
I hope no one was offended in this thread.

I'm not offended at all! I could care less what other kids are wearing to school.
I'm just not sure why everyone cared so much about what *my* kids are
wearing!! ;)

No biggie, Beth!! :)

DebbieJ
02-22-2010, 10:20 AM
I sent my DS to school in those type of pants a lot. I got them from Kohl's, so they're more causal than sporty.

I buy him elastic waisted pants because I'm sure their teacher/aide doesn't want to be helping the boys get their pants buttoned again after using the bathroom. DS broke his arm in September and still doesn't have full use back, so he would need help. (He's in kindy, BTW)

JTsMom
02-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Beth, I honestly don't know how this thread became so derailed.

We're talking about clothes- not really a hot-button issue! I think sometimes people interpret someone's opinion or questions as being a personal attack against them, when it's just the poster explaining her thought process. I don't think anyone, on either "side", said they cared so much about what others were putting on their kids. I even said that DS wears jeans, cords and khakis on most days, so I can't possibly think they are that evil, right? I'm the person that buys this stuff!

Somehow though, it turned into a snark-fest, and some of my words were used in it. g-mama said her kids didn't roll on the ground or play in the dirt b/c they were older, so I asked about some specific instances- that was it. I found it hard to believe they WEREN'T active boys, who would get "normal-kid" messy, which is why I asked the questions.

Seriously, I could not care less what anyone wears to school- parents or kids. If your kid wants to wear a 3 piece suit, a tutu, a Power Rangers costume, jeans and a T, or cords, have at it! My whole point was that kids do play, do get dirty, do paint, and will likely trash clothes at some point, so I don't really worry about the days when DS chooses to dress more casually. That was it. My entire point.

bubbaray
02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
This and the PJs thread became heated because people started making attacks on wearer's self-respect and self-confidence. Frankly, someone who thinks that a little girl who wears yoga pants lacks self-respect deserves some snark. JMHO

Moneypenny
02-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Do your schools have shoe requirements at all? DD does wear knit pants nearly every day, mostly because she detests jeans with the passion of a thousand burning suns, but also because she is required to wear tennis shoes every day. Dresses and skirts just look silly with tennis shoes, so we stick with the more casual look to go with her shoes.

(DD is is kindy and I think when they get to the higher grades they just need to have tennies in their lockers to change into for every recess. The little ones are too slow to be able to change all the time, so they just have to wear them all day.)

g-mama
02-22-2010, 03:03 PM
This and the PJs thread became heated because people started making attacks on wearer's self-respect and self-confidence. Frankly, someone who thinks that a little girl who wears yoga pants lacks self-respect deserves some snark. JMHO

The t shirts, yes, but not the pants. DC have knit pants for wearing at home or playing out in the yard, but they don't wear them out. Well, the knit/yoga pants would go to school, but underneath dresses or tunics. I have the same standard for myself. However, this is just my preference, and I would not judge or criticize others for sending their kids to school in the clothes shown. IMO it is more about being neat, clean and well groomed, showing respect for the school and teachers, for their work and behavior, than it is about what they wear.

This was addressed. She was saying that it was about being respectful (in behavior) than it is about what they wear. Maybe you didn't see this comment which showed that some people seemed to be misinterpreting her initial remarks. See above. So, no, actually it doesn't seem that any snark was deserved, though it was certainly dished out.

g-mama
02-22-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm not offended at all! I could care less what other kids are wearing to school.
I'm just not sure why everyone cared so much about what *my* kids are
wearing!! ;)

No biggie, Beth!! :)

:yeahthat: Some people seemed to take it as a personal attack that someone might not dress their children the same way as they do. Not at all. I could not care less either. Sometimes people get fixated on an idea and can't move away from it once it has been clarified to be a misunderstanding.