PDA

View Full Version : Balance bike for 3yr old

twitter
02-20-2010, 07:30 PM
DS1 is 3 yr old and 39'' tall. I want to buy a balance bike for him but am completely confused with array of options available. I checked out a Specialized Hotwalk at local bike shop but it seemed small for him. Anybody has experience with other models for a kid with similar age/height? Please share.

Kindra178
02-21-2010, 04:14 PM
I previously posted a question about balance bikes for my 3.5 year old. He is also at least 39 inches; he's probably closer to 40 though. After much research, we ended up with the Hotwalk. I, too, was worried about him being too big for it. It's so incredible. After using it a few days, my ultra careful child is already gliding beautifully inside the house. (We haven't spent too much time outside with it yet due to Chitown winters).

Unlike a regular bike, where you might want to buy big so an older child can grow into it a little, a balance bike almost needs to be small. A child has to be able to sit on it with his feet flat on the floor. It won't work if he can't be flat footed. We have our Hotwalk on the highest seat setting and it's perfect for him. The Hotwalk is also super light, super manageable. It also seems like a real bike, unlike some of the wooden balance bikes you see around. I can't recommend it enough.

Let me know if you have any other questions. The hotwalk has been my best child related toy purchase ever. The only think I regret is not getting it last summer.

DrSally
02-21-2010, 04:32 PM
We have the Weeride from Amazon for DS (he's 4 now). It is pretty tall. We started with the Strider (the lowest balance bike), and the Hotwalk starts where that one leaves off (at it's highest setting). One thing I miss about the Strider is the footrests.

kayte
02-21-2010, 06:14 PM
We have and LOVE a Kazam.

http://www.kazambikes.com/

DD is 4 but just about 39" tall.

It has a footrest and a low pass through, two important features to me.

arivecchi
02-21-2010, 06:24 PM
I previously posted a question about balance bikes for my 3.5 year old. He is also at least 39 inches; he's probably closer to 40 though. After much research, we ended up with the Hotwalk. I, too, was worried about him being too big for it. It's so incredible. After using it a few days, my ultra careful child is already gliding beautifully inside the house. (We haven't spent too much time outside with it yet due to Chitown winters).

Unlike a regular bike, where you might want to buy big so an older child can grow into it a little, a balance bike almost needs to be small. A child has to be able to sit on it with his feet flat on the floor. It won't work if he can't be flat footed. We have our Hotwalk on the highest seat setting and it's perfect for him. The Hotwalk is also super light, super manageable. It also seems like a real bike, unlike some of the wooden balance bikes you see around. I can't recommend it enough.

Let me know if you have any other questions. The hotwalk has been my best child related toy purchase ever. The only think I regret is not getting it last summer.:yeahthat: The Hotwalk is perfect for my DS who is 40 inches tall.