PDA

View Full Version : Bassett Furniture

cchavez
02-20-2010, 09:36 PM
We found some living rooms furniture we love at Bassett. We have never shopped there before...most of our funiture is Thomasville. What is the qualify of Bassett furniture like? Thanks

August Mom
02-20-2010, 10:38 PM
I will never, ever step into Bassett again. I hate my kitchen table and am very upset about the whole Bassett experience. When the table and chairs were delivered, there were chips in 4 of the 6 chairs in the same place where it appeared they had been attached to the truck or the packaging. I commented and the delivery guy said he had to leave them but that there was a paper I could fill out describing the damage and then the store would take it from there. Well, they didn't replace them, they sent someone out to "repair" them. They were not repaired to my satisfaction but no one cared. Also, we got the table with the special finish so that it resists moisture, stains, etc. and within the first 2 months had a discoloration from either water or heat and a repair person couldn't do anything about it because of the special finish. Now the finish is chipping. It is frustrating and I get mad every time I look at the table.

I have no idea if stuffed furniture would be dramatically better but I'm not planning to find out.

We love our Thomasville furniture and have been much happier with it.

jellibeans
02-21-2010, 12:07 AM
We have bought two couches, a bed, dresser and chest from Bassett. We have had movers move our things 2 times and all of the furniture is as good as new. I LOVE our bedroom set and know that it is high quality stuff. I think that with everything, you will get positives and negatives. We love our Bassett furniture and would shop there again!

liamsmom
02-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Our bedroom set is from Bassett and we love it. Pretty high quality stuff. We also have a living rooms set--sofa, loveseat and chair--that we got from their clearance section and it looks and has held up wonderfully for the past two years. I have a friend who is far more particular than I am, and she is happy with her bedroom and dining sets from there as well.

Have you seen the furniture in person or online?

gatorsmom
02-21-2010, 02:21 AM
It depends on how long you want it to last. A lot of our furniture is Bassett. I have 6 upholstered pieces from them that are very poorly made. I bought them in 1999 and took very good care of them. They haven't held up well at all. Also, my bedroom set is Bassett. We have an armoire, tripple dresser, 2 night stands and head and footboard. None of the wood is solid. It's all pressed wood. It's very, very soft and splinters/chips easily.

If you are looking for something attractive that won't be used much (say for a formal living room or guest bedroom), they do have very stylish things. If you want it to last and be durable for more than 10 years, go somewhere else. jmho

Oh, and wanted to let you know that I priced out several of my pieces at a Bassett Furniture Outlet and still found them for HALF that price at Direct Buy (we have a membership which is why I own so many Bassett pieces). Even the Bassett Furniture Outlets are WAY overpriced for the quality.

american_mama
02-22-2010, 12:41 AM
We've had a Basset sectional sofa for 4 years. I am pretty satisfied with it. I like the look and it's very comfortable (others have said so too). The chenille fabric is one of the lowest grades, easy care, and I have machine washed and air dried several of the cushion and pillow covers when there was marker/vomit/blood on them and they've cleaned very well with just a tiny bit of shrinkage.

The back cushions, which are pretty soft, have not hold their shape all that well in the 4 years we've owned the sofa. The sofa does get used very roughly, though. That is my main beef with the sofa.

I liked the buying experience a lot. Your salesperson will make one complimentary visit to your house, which we were shy to request but wish we'd done earlier. She brought many fabric sample books, plus a few brand new swatches that she thought we'd like (one of which we choose). It was very helpful to have all the swatches at once, in our house, and decide rather than piecemeal borrowing of swatches which I'd been doing. Our sofa also was delivered to our house in 4 weeks, a nice fast turnaround time.

I like the sofa enough that I would seriously consider another upholstered piece from them. No experience with any of their wood products.