PDA

View Full Version : 12mo. old on a cross country road trip

okinawama
02-20-2010, 11:57 PM
In two weeks we will be going on a 28hr road trip (broken up into three days) with my 12month old. My husband will be going with, but in another car, so having someone back next to my son isn't an option. My little guy HATES riding in the car, and I am dreading this trip. Do you have any tips/tools/toys to make the trip as smooth as possible? I plan on getting a portable DVD player in hopes that will keep him occupied for a portion of the trip. Any other ideas??

Momof3Labs
02-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Is there any way that you can stretch out the trip over another day or two? You're doing over 9hrs per day 3 days in a row - with frequent stops (every 2-3 hours, minimum), you're probably looking at almost 12 hours of travel for 3 days.

TwinFoxes
02-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Is there any way that you can stretch out the trip over another day or two? You're doing over 9hrs per day 3 days in a row - with frequent stops (every 2-3 hours, minimum), you're probably looking at almost 12 hours of travel for 3 days.

I think this is sound advice. OP to be honest your trip sounds like a nightmare! We took 3 days driving from DC to Michigan, and our girls like the car. But after about four hours they were DONE. This was for their first birthday, so they were the same age as your son. I think 12 months is a rough age for car travel, nothing really holds their attention for very long.

We didn't use a DVD player, because we don't do TV yet for the girls. But if we did, I know they would push the buttons on it and make it stop playing, and I'd have to stop driving to "fix" it.

Have you thought about driving at night so he will be asleep?

Good luck!!

Nechums
02-21-2010, 08:20 AM
That sounds awful. I dread having to drive an hour with DS by myself. I'm echoing a PP when I say is there any way to schedule the driving during naps and mayeb the first 5-6 hours of his nighttime sleeping (after which you probably need sleep yourself).

WatchingThemGrow
02-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Can you fly and rent a car on the other end?

bluestarfish18
02-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Ugh, I've been in your situation. No fun. I drove by myself....stupid DH decided last minute he was going to try to make the trip in 1 day. Arrgh. It was a 16 hour trip, by myself with a 9 month old. At the time, we didn't have a DVD player, so it was all about the snacks, books, toys and nap time. I tried my best to stop every few hours just to get a break.

Unfortunately I don't have any real advice, except to take it 1 hour at a time, stock up on snacks, try a DVD player (now a godsend for us), sing silly songs, and lots of coffee.

I'll be making another solo road trip in 2 months...with 2 kids...eh. It'll be spread out over 2 whole weeks, with stops visiting familiy. Moving (again) from the South up to the Northwest. Somebody call a shrink for me.

okinawama
02-21-2010, 09:17 AM
I completely agree, it's going to be a nightmare. Unfortunately, this is not a vacation so we have very limited flexibility as far as dates are concerned. We can extend travel time by a day, two at the absolute most.My husband will be finishing one job, and will have to be at our location 3-4 days later to begin his next job.

I might consider the night driving (well, until a reasonable hour) based on how the first day goes. I'd like to avoid it if possible, but desperate times call for desperate measures :)

I have three friends with children ranging from 11-14mo and they all have made the trip (our husbands are in the same profession), so I plan on racking their brains as well. I just know that you ladies all of the best info on new products, and was hoping you'd have some ideas to help maintain my sanity :)

I guess I'll ask for some specific ?'s. What do you do when your child eats a snack in the car? do you have a tray or something? We have one of those snack trap things where it's supposed to not spill, but myl ittle guy hasn't quite figured it out, and he usually ends up dumping it's contents. Do you have a sun shade that sticks to the window and actually blocks out the sun (and stays stuck to the window), it always seems they provide minimal sun shade and always are falling down. I'm sure I'l think of more :)

doberbrat
02-21-2010, 09:23 AM
w/dd1, who was GOOD in the car the only way to do long distance drives (15h+) at that age was to drive at night. they're newly mobile and its not really easy to let tehm play at the rest stop playgrounds etc. b/c they're dirty or unsafe at that age.

w/dd2 who apparently hates the car..... I'd rather extract my own teeth w/my bare hands.

I'm sorry .... really really sorry you have to make such a trip :(

KrisM
02-21-2010, 09:47 AM
That's going to be tough. At the very least switch cars with your DH every now and then so you each get a break from the baby.

If you can't fly, or take a longer trip, can you bring a friend/aunt/grandma? Someone could sit with the baby and share driving as well.

It used to take us 13 hours to get to NH. With kids, it takes 17 and we think it's pretty streamlined as far as stops go.

TwinFoxes
02-21-2010, 10:13 AM
OK, since there's no option, here are a few suggestions. We do have the snack cups, and my girls didn't have the hang of them at that age either. Maybe start giving them to him now for practice. Also, we got old wallets and loaded them with random crap for the girls to explore. We used things like old credit cards and business cards, but also I cut out photos of babies and dogs from magazines. I also put random things like a tiny red drawstring bag in there.

My girls like toys that make noise. The sounds/songs on a dog and frog they have aren't too bad. I'll find links and post them during naptime. Those two toys keep them happy in the car.

Car toys that attached to their seats did not entertain them at all.

wellyes
02-21-2010, 11:04 AM
I am opposed to TV for babies normally, but in your circumstance I'd definitely be playing DVDs.

newg
02-21-2010, 02:15 PM
We make a six hour drive back to IL every few months to see DH's family....we have been doing this since DD was three months old.............we also do the 12hrs. to Hilton Head once a year (which is a two day drive for us)
We have one of thoes cling shades from fisher price on the window.......it has stayed up and covers almost the entire window for DD and I really like that it can't hurt her if it falls down........
We finally broke down and got a DvD player for DD..........it is attached to the middle headrest in the back (she is still RF) and it has a remote........so DH or I can easily start the movie without having to turn all the way around..............I usually reserve the DVD player for "the last resort", mostly when we are trying to get her back in the car after a long break.........
We have started to stop at Chick Filet and McDonalds that have the playlands, so DD can run around a bit and stretch her legs too.
I try to pack super yummy, favorite snacks.....sometimes a "treat" she doesn't always get at home.....I put them in the snack cups with the lids (I would start using them now to get some practice in)
We have a couple CD's that DD likes too......

We normally leave right after breakfast........DD is happy and fine 'till lunch....we take a break......she falls alseep for her nap....when she wakes up we take another break, and I pop in the DVD for her to watch while she eats a snack.............by then we're in Chicaoland and there's enough traffic to keep her entertained 'till we make it to Grammy's and Papa's house...
Maybe you could buy a few new toys for the trip.....and slowly bring them out through the course of the travel..........
DD just got a chicco guitar and Little tikes piano that I'm planning on taking along for trips because they are really interactive, bright lights, music............

........good luck!!!