PDA

View Full Version : Quick - Do I tip the ski instuctor?

geochick
02-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Private lessons. Thanks!!!

mom_hanna
02-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Yes. We always do for privates. We give 20% of the lesson cost. I have no idea what is appropriate, but the instructors are always very appreciative. I figure they make a pretty meager wage, so they will be happy with anything additional.

cono0507
02-21-2010, 10:30 AM
What about for kids' group lessons/ski school. We just did ski school for the first time last month and I didn't tip - didn't even think about it. Would love to know what is typical for next time though!

mom_hanna
02-21-2010, 10:35 AM
It didn't occur to us to tip for the group lesson either! We only thought about it after we took a private and thought back. I don't think we would have though, just because there are so many kids and the individual attention is not there. Maybe if we got an instructor that dcs loved, then maybe we would? That hasn't happened though, so I don't know...

geochick
02-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks. I think we will today...unless the instructor does something awful.

StantonHyde
02-21-2010, 01:33 PM
My kids did the series of 5 half day lessons. It cost about $250. I tipped the instructor $20 because he got my daughter to ski, turn, stop herself, and start to do french fry across the hill. And he had a class of 4-6 4 yo girls. (there is an assistant instructor too--but I just gave the main instructor the tip and figured he could tip out if he wanted to)

tylersmama
02-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Tipping is definitely appreciated, even for group lessons. And especially so if it was a good lesson. When I've taken group lessons in the past, I usually tip $10 (for a half-day lesson) unless it was a fantastic lesson (for example, when I ended up being the only student and getting essentially a private lesson) then I tipped $20. I've also not tipped at all when I've had a crappy lesson. But, if you appreciated the instructor and thought they did a good job, tip them accordingly. Sad to say, but as expensive as lessons are, the instructors really don't see that much of the money.

bubbaray
02-21-2010, 03:20 PM
We don't tip our instructor -- its DH! LOL

I just asked him and he said that people here do NOT tip, but they do in Europe. ETA this is for both privates and group lessons.

I wouldn't tip. JMHO.

geochick
02-21-2010, 07:09 PM
We tipped $20 for 2 kids in a 2 hour private lesson. The instructor said, "Wow, thanks!" Considering the overall cost of lessons (high), and the wage of the average instructor (not likely high), I think $20 is a deal for everyone involved. My kids (6 and 3) had a BLAST!

Thanks, guys.

bubbaray
02-21-2010, 09:34 PM
I know in Europe, ski instructors make pretty good money. Its not bad money here, especially when you factor in the free seasons' pass.

DH said he has never received a tip instructing. And he taught a LOT of kids.

tylersmama
02-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Perhaps the difference between the US and Canada? I have several friends who are instructors here in the US, and they pretty much all say that while they don't ever expect a tip, they are greatly appreciated. And while their pay rate is pretty good, they only get paid for while they're actually instructing, although they may spend hours waiting around for the potential to have a lesson and they don't get paid for those hours. Or they may get sent home if they're not needed that day.

bnme
02-22-2010, 07:20 AM
We ski in VT and tipping appears to be common. This is for full day lessons and the instructors even eat lunch with the kids (including helping them) and get them drinks and snacks at the end of the day. These are full-time adults and this is their career but I have no idea if they are paid well or not.