PDA

View Full Version : What type of cell phone do you have?

calv
02-21-2010, 02:59 PM
My renew every 2 is up w/verizon and I'd like a new phone. thinking of the Chocolate Touch or EnV touch. I'd like a blackberry but hate the thought of paying an extra $30 in addition to what we already pay.

Love, hate, and would you recommend your phone?

THNX

baymom
02-21-2010, 03:07 PM
I have the iphone. I never wanted it and only agreed to get it as a 'favor' to DH (who has the blackberry) since it really felt like he wanted the iphone to have as a 'toy' for himself. But, with that said, now I LOVE it. I can't imagine not having it. I totally recommend it!!!

calv
02-21-2010, 03:10 PM
i'd LOVE an iphone but they seem so exensive. if you don't mind me asking. what do you pay a month for it? and it's only though AT&T isn't it?

MMEand1
02-21-2010, 03:10 PM
My renew every 2 is up w/verizon and I'd like a new phone. thinking of the Chocolate Touch or EnV touch. I'd like a blackberry but hate the thought of paying an extra $30 in addition to what we already pay.

Love, hate, and would you recommend your phone?

THNX

My new every 2 is up today and I have been looking as well. I wanted something fancy, but don't want the extra $30 a month charge either. My brother just got the droid and had his "old" phone that he sent me instead of me getting a new one. It is an LG Dare. It is touch screen only, no keypad, so that is hard to get used to (my old one was a flip phone and did not have a qwerty keyboard either, so I was really wanting one to make texting easier). I am going to hold off buying myself a new phone until I can either justify the $30 a month extra fee, or find a phone that I like (the ones out there now just don't do anything for me).

Good luck and keep us updated as to what you get!

LarsMal
02-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Different carriers have different phones, right? I have AT&T. I started out last week with a Motorola Karma and traded it yesterday for a Samsung Solstice. I am loving it! I wanted an iPhone, but didn't want to spend the 30/month, especially when the guy offered me a 10/month deal with this phone.

lizzywednesday
02-21-2010, 03:34 PM
I currently have the enV2 and was going to upgrade to the enV3 (as I am almost 6 months out on my "new every 2" contract) ... until Verizon Wireless decided that you HAVE TO pay another $9.99/month in data plans on the enV3, Chocolate and Touch as of January.

Needless to say, my reaction was along the lines of ... ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME????

I can get the stupid phone for free but my bill will increase to $60/month in phone access, with a MANDATORY $10 of data access I am not going to use????? (I have the basic America's Choice plan at $40 plus $10 flat-fee for 500 out-of-network texts/month so I can keep track of a few people, so my base rate before taxes & fees is $50. Taxes/fees don't amount to much more than a couple dollars. I can afford $52/month; I can't afford $60+.)

Needless to say, I am frustrated and annoyed, so I still haven't upgraded.

calv
02-21-2010, 03:51 PM
I currently have the enV2 and was going to upgrade to the enV3 (as I am almost 6 months out on my "new every 2" contract) ... until Verizon Wireless decided that you HAVE TO pay another $9.99/month in data plans on the enV3, Chocolate and Touch as of January.

Needless to say, my reaction was along the lines of ... ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME????

I can get the stupid phone for free but my bill will increase to $60/month in phone access, with a MANDATORY $10 of data access I am not going to use????? (I have the basic America's Choice plan at $40 plus $10 flat-fee for 500 out-of-network texts/month so I can keep track of a few people, so my base rate before taxes & fees is $50. Taxes/fees don't amount to much more than a couple dollars. I can afford $52/month; I can't afford $60+.)

Needless to say, I am frustrated and annoyed, so I still haven't upgraded.

what exactly does the 25MB data package (the additonal $10 month plan plust the $40+ I already pay through verizon) get me as far as usage? i'd want to surf this site, facebook and maybe a few for the kids as i'm waiting in line to pay w/screaming children. ;P

I think it's kind of neat that the chocolate also has FM radio. right now I have the Orange EnV. great for texting but I hardly ever use it.

lizzywednesday
02-21-2010, 04:01 PM
what exactly does the 25MB data package (the additonal $10 month plan plust the $40+ I already pay through verizon) get me as far as usage? i'd want to surf this site, facebook and maybe a few for the kids as i'm waiting in line to pay w/screaming children. ;P

I think it's kind of neat that the chocolate also has FM radio. right now I have the Orange EnV. great for texting but I hardly ever use it.

I'm not really sure, mostly because I am not interested in accessing the web through my phone. I would guess that, if a site has a mobile version/skin, you could go ahead and access it. Upload/download speeds will vary depending on who's using the network in the area, but I would guess things would be fairly slow so I wouldn't count on keeping your kids amused with mobile web!!! (DH complains about speed here and there.)

OTOH, my DH loves being able to access everything all the time. It's come in handy as we've spent lots of time at the hospital for monitoring & prenatal visits, but I don't see the point. I wonder if this is because I have an extensive paperback collection ... ?

AnnieW625
02-21-2010, 04:27 PM
I have an almost 5 yr. old Motorola flip phone that has blue tooth. It's perfect for me. I haven't decided what my next phone will be as I haven't decided if I want a smart phone or just a regular phone again. One nice thing is that I haven't gotten a new phone in soo long that I still have a $100 new every 2 credit (it's now only $50) so I can get a great smart phone for less than $100 (depending on what's on special). I can see pros and cons for both, but can't seem to make a decision.

ETA:
i'd LOVE an iphone but they seem so exensive. if you don't mind me asking. what do you pay a month for it? and it's only though AT&T isn't it?

Yes the Iphone is only with AT&T and I believe that exclusive contract is up sometime this year, but I am not 100% sure. It's been soo popular that I am sure AT&T is going to do it's best to keep it that way; just with AT&T. The AT&T data plan for the Iphone is $30 a month for any Iphone model you have. AT&T's website is pretty easy to understand. I personally won't go with AT&T because I know many people who've had issues with service, billing, and such in the past. Also unless you are in a huge metro. area AT&Ts service is less than reliable than say Verizon (this was part of the reason we went with Verizon in 2002 when I first got my phones---we were in Sacramento then). I also get a better discount with Verizon through my work than I would get with AT&T.

ged
02-21-2010, 07:10 PM
well, i pay the 30 for the data plan, so it may be irrelevant, but i just decided on the blackberry tour. i have the old bb world edition and grew to really like having on the go access to my emails and internet. can't really go back to a plain 'ol phone anymore. that being said, i was considering the htc and the droid as well, since they have better internet browsing...but i realized it wasn't worth the extra $.

TwinFoxes
02-21-2010, 08:59 PM
I have an iPhone and I love it. I have the unlimited plan and it's $69.99 a month. I have no problems with their customer service, but I don't think their coverage is as good as Verizon. But I don't care! I love it. I'm typing on it right now! :)

crl
02-21-2010, 09:37 PM
I have an iPhone. DH got one through work and for whatever reason really thought I should have one too. I do love it. But I probably wouldn't have gotten it on my own, so expensive.

Catherine

michellerw
02-21-2010, 10:31 PM
I have a 1st gen iPhone. The screen on it is actually broken, but my contract is up so I'll be upgrading to the 3GS and re-upping my contract soon. I love my iPhone. DH has an iPhone 3G, so we have two iPhones on the same plan. He doesn't love his phone the way I do, but he also plays with his all the time -- I think he's just even more demanding of the phone than I am.

As for the screen on my iPhone, I broke it by dropping it on concrete for about the 45th time, without a case. I have had my phone for two and a half years and it's been fantastic otherwise; I'm just a huge, careless klutz.

new_mommy25
02-21-2010, 10:31 PM
iphone 3GS, Love it!

fumofu
02-21-2010, 11:39 PM
DH and I recently upgraded from bare minimum to DROID phones. Having internet access has been a really nice treat, but getting Google driving directions has been the best feature so far. Our bill is definitely higher than before, but we both agree it's worth the extra cost.

ged
02-22-2010, 02:22 PM
i agree about the driving directions. in europe last year, i used my blackberry/google maps to navigate throughout austria, czech republic, slovakia, hungary and slovenia. it was great and we didn't have to pay for gps with the car rental. not to mention how much i use google maps on a day to day basis.

hellokitty
02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
I have a palm pre and love it. We got it about six months ago through sprint, but now verizon offers the palm pre too. I don't really have any complaints about it at all, and compared to the droid and iphone, it is the most compact one, which I really like. I don't want to carry around a phone that is too big.

lizzywednesday
02-22-2010, 03:10 PM

Yes the Iphone is only with AT&T and I believe that exclusive contract is up sometime this year, but I am not 100% sure. It's been soo popular that I am sure AT&T is going to do it's best to keep it that way; just with AT&T. The AT&T data plan for the Iphone is $30 a month for any Iphone model you have. AT&T's website is pretty easy to understand. I personally won't go with AT&T because I know many people who've had issues with service, billing, and such in the past. Also unless you are in a huge metro. area AT&Ts service is less than reliable than say Verizon (this was part of the reason we went with Verizon in 2002 when I first got my phones---we were in Sacramento then). I also get a better discount with Verizon through my work than I would get with AT&T.

Yes, the iPhone's contract with AT&T is up sometime this summer.

DH thinks the iPhone will come to VZW, but a sales geek disagreed because of the way Apple prices its exclusivity contracts and the way VZW wants to do business.

Who knows?

DH currently has an HTC something or other (with a touch screen; not sold in stores; I honestly don't know what it is) and he loves it, but he's hoping the iPhone will come to VZW. I don't see the point of having such an expensive toy, but it's his $$, so whatever. He suggested that I wait, too, and then get an iPhone but I still don't see the point. I just need to make phone calls and send/receive text and picture messages. I don't need apps or games or anything else on my stupid phone!!!!

willow33
02-22-2010, 03:47 PM
DH and I can upgrade now too, but we also don't want to pay an extra $30/month for a fancy phone. I have an ENv2 and really like it. I've had no problems and I love the full keyboard for texting. DH has a Motorola Krzr and he says it's okay, but he almost never uses his cell phone. He love his ipod Touch though. Maybe that's an option for you? Get a decent phone that doesn't have the extra $30/month fee and then buy an itouch...it's basically an iphone without the phone features.

Good luck deciding!!

WatchingThemGrow
02-22-2010, 04:24 PM
DH and I can upgrade now too, but we also don't want to pay an extra $30/month for a fancy phone. I have an ENv2 and really like it. I've had no problems and I love the full keyboard for texting. DH has a Motorola Krzr and he says it's okay, but he almost never uses his cell phone. He love his ipod Touch though. Maybe that's an option for you? Get a decent phone that doesn't have the extra $30/month fee and then buy an itouch...it's basically an iphone without the phone features.

Good luck deciding!!
:yeahthat: We have regular old Sprint flip-phones (sanyo) and ipod Touches for both of us. There are enough apps that we're occupied when we don't have wi-fi, and DH knows where to park so that he can get online while I run into any store. It's not so expensive (like an iPhone would be) that I feel okay letting DC play the Letter Tracer game while I'm talking on the phone. I realized that if I do get a single device, shopping from the Grocery Gadget app and answering a call can't happen simultaneously.

wallawala
02-22-2010, 04:30 PM
I was a dedicated flip phone user until recently. I just bought the Motorola Droid with Verizon. Very much like an iPhone with aps for everything. Will never go back. LOVE, and use aps for shopping, navigation, and email daily!

Check if your or spouse's work has a corporate discount. The unlimited data plan is $23/month instead of $30 w/our discount. I was worried about the cost before I got it... now consider it money well spent!!

Toba
02-22-2010, 04:52 PM
WatchingThemGrow, I thought that was one of the features of an iPhone ... to take a call while doing any other thing on your phone? I even remember a commercial for it with Luke Wilson ... unless it was another phone, but I'm pretty sure it's an iPhone feature.

I have a Verizon BlackBerry Storm. It's okay. I used to like it a lot more until I got an iPod Touch. I think I went onto Verizon's app store once when I first got it and I think I have maybe two or three apps for the Storm (just weather and news related and FaceBook). We all have Macs in this house (DS has my old Mac Mini, but also got a Windows based netbook for Christmas that is getting more from my MIL than DS ... money NOT well spent) and my Storm hates my Mac ... obviously this isn't the case with the Touch and wouldn't be with an iPhone either. The keyboard is a little clunky and takes getting used to; the Touch's is much easier and quicker to use. The mobile email and texting is lightning fast though (I once sent an email of info to my BB from my Mac and the BB pushed the email within about three seconds ... I was impressed). The browser really stinks. All this was fine, like I said, until I got the Touch. Apple's app store just can't be beat and I have MANY apps (free and paid) on my Touch. DS and I used to fight over it so much that he got the cheapest one for Christmas. The FB application is FAR superior on the Touch than it is with the BB. And so is the web browser ... even on wifi. That said, and with me being a huge Apple geek, I will not get an iPhone no matter how much I want one until they come to Verizon. Verizon's coverage and reliability just can't be touched by AT&T, especially their 3G service. I am often way, way up in the northern part of the Eastern seaboard in very rural areas and there is no way that I would want to be caught miles away from civilization with kids in the car and no cell phone service. I have literally been out in the boondocks deep into the woods in rural areas and still had Verizon coverage.

No one knows when the AT&T exclusivity contract ends ... neither AT&T nor Apple (which is notorious for keeping info top secret) have ever been on record saying what the actual deal is. I do hope they get it soon ...

calv
02-23-2010, 05:58 PM
thanks so much for all your replies. thinking I may enjoy the chocolate touch since the music on it sounds great. I very rarely text but I"m tempted to get the EnV chocolate for the flip out full keyboard. Hmmm, no idea. Must try and get to the verizon store and check things out. Not sure how much I'm going to enjoy a full touch screen vs actual number pads but like anything else it's just probably a matter of getting used to it :)

LarsMal
02-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Not sure how much I'm going to enjoy a full touch screen vs actual number pads but like anything else it's just probably a matter of getting used to it :)

I was a little concerned about this, too, and the sales guy convinced me I'd be better off with a physical keyboard. I liked the keyboard, but didn't like phone because scrolling around on the internet was a pain. I took it back and got an all touch and it's fine. It took a few hours to get used to, but it's actually a lot easier than I thought. DH got a phone that has touch and a keyboard. He really likes his, too. I didn't get that one because I wanted to be able to turn the phone and get a bigger screen for websites. So many options!! GL!

calv
02-25-2010, 12:35 PM
I was a little concerned about this, too, and the sales guy convinced me I'd be better off with a physical keyboard. I liked the keyboard, but didn't like phone because scrolling around on the internet was a pain. I took it back and got an all touch and it's fine. It took a few hours to get used to, but it's actually a lot easier than I thought. DH got a phone that has touch and a keyboard. He really likes his, too. I didn't get that one because I wanted to be able to turn the phone and get a bigger screen for websites. So many options!! GL!

so what type of phone did you end up getting?