PDA

View Full Version : Do your kids have their own luggage?

elektra
02-21-2010, 05:32 PM
As I was browsing the PB catalog, I saw the little-kid wheeled suitcases. We have only done a few trips with the kids so far but we have always packed their stuff in our suitcases. I'm wondering if we should get DD her own, and if we do, getting one of the cutesy PB kind.
What's your experience?

jayali
02-21-2010, 05:55 PM
we don't travel a lot, but for some reason DS had wheelie luggage on his santa list this year. Santa brought him the PBK luggage. He loves it. We have used it a couple of times and so far so good. I do wish they had a larger duffel - the large one they have is an OK size, but if you are going on an extended trip it will be tight.

MMEand1
02-21-2010, 05:57 PM
When each of my DC were born, we bought them a bug-out bag (http://www.bugoutgear.co.uk/bugoutbag.html). Ours are black. It's not your typical "luggage", but the bags are huge and the kids will most likely never need another bag for travel.

Twoboos
02-21-2010, 06:05 PM
They do not at the moment. But I have been thinking of getting them their own, especially with the new luggage restrictions!!

I have seen really cute ones at TJMaxx/Marshall's recently, which is influencing me, LOL.

mecawa
02-21-2010, 06:19 PM
DD1 (6) just got her own luggage, we haven't even used it yet, it was a gift from her godparents for Christmas. She got a wheeled suitcase, with matching duffle, and toiletry bag all with her initials on it. She won't use it until next month, it seems well made, very cute, and she is very excited about using it.

belovedgandp
02-21-2010, 06:50 PM
They don't have their own pieces necessarily. We have a very well handed down Thomas rolling bag that they tend to pack in for spending the night at Grandma's.

When we travel, I have found it easier to put their stuff in their own suitcase. We usually have three bags - mine, DH, and boys. So far, haven't needed to separate the kids from each other yet.

hillview
02-21-2010, 07:00 PM
No. We travel a ton. We take 2 LL Bean large duffle bags. We almost let DS1 take his own backpack for our last trip but in the end it seemed too much. I think kids get their own luggage when they will carry it on their own.
/hillary

ThreeofUs
02-21-2010, 08:19 PM
We travel every weekend in the late Spring-mid Fall period. We've found it a lot easier for each of us to have our own duffle plus a backpack. That way, we always know where to find the right clothes/gear/meds/etc. for everyone.

LLB makes our duffles. NorthFace (for DH and I) and LLB (for the kids) make our backpacks.

Last summer, DS1 carried his own and DS2 tried mightily. I think they're both going to be carrying their own this year - DS2 is so determined to do everything his big brother does!

KrisM
02-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Yes. We each have a medium duffle from LL Bean. They have our names on them. I pack everything for a kid in their bag, including diapers if needed. Last weekend, it included all outside winter gear as well.

I love having their own. We used to pack their stuff in our luggage and it just got to hard to find what I needed. Now, it's easy. Last weekend, we were up north and I sent the kids to their bedroom to get into pajamas and they came out dressed in pajamas, since they knew exactly where to look for their stuff.

When we're gone for more than 2 nights, I pack outfits in ziploc bags as well, so I don't end up with things that don't go together and so that anyone can get them dressed. One weekend, DH took them up north with my parents and I stayed home. DH woke up in the morning sick. He pointed my mom to the bags and she just had to pull out a ziploc from each and there was everything she needed to dress them easily. Not that she couldn't have figured it out of course, but she did appreciate how easy it was :).

I can get about a week's worth of summer clothes in a medium duffle, FWIW.

ETA: We haven't flown with the kids.

crl
02-21-2010, 08:32 PM
I pack DS' stuff in my suitcase. He does have a school backpack that we also take on trips. He carries that as his carry-on and we put some of his entertainment for the trip in there.

Catherine

caleymama
02-21-2010, 08:34 PM
They each have a Med LLBean duffle monogrammed with their initials. They also have a matching Deluxe Backpack. For overnights the backpack is usually all that's needed but for longer trips they use the duffle for clothes and the backpack for other odds and ends. FWIW, we have not flown with them but have done plenty of weekend/long weekend/week trips.

niccig
02-21-2010, 08:34 PM
We fly 3-4 times a year. DS and I share a suitcase, DH has his own + stuff that doesn't fit in mine. DS has his own carry-on. We have to do the shuttle from parking lot to terminal etc, so it's easy for us to handle 2 large wheeled suitcases, rather than 3 smaller bags as we also have a backpack carry-on each and a car seat.

almostamom
02-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Sort of. We have a set of luggage (6 or 7 pieces) and DS uses one of the smaller suitcases when we travel. He puts his backpack on and wheels his suitcase through the airport by himself.

Linda

egoldber
02-21-2010, 09:06 PM
DS and I share a suitcase, DH has his own + stuff that doesn't fit in mine. DS has his own carry-on. We have to do the shuttle from parking lot to terminal etc, so it's easy for us to handle 2 large wheeled suitcases, rather than 3 smaller bags as we also have a backpack carry-on each and a car seat.

This is mostly us when we fly. In the summer, I can fit me and both kids into one large rolling suitcase. DH takes a small suitcase (which he clips to the larger one). In the winter I need the large one for me and one kid and he packs a medium suitcase for him and younger DD.

I have a Timbuk2 shoulder bag and both kids have light backpacks. DH carries a Timbuk2 bag with his laptop.

pb&j
02-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Yes. We all have color-coded, monogrammed medium duffels from LLBean (when not overstuffed, they are carry-on sized). The kids also have the little backpacks, too. If we were doing more air travel, I'd definitely consider getting them their own wheelie luggage. I hate checking bags (former airline employee), and if we're buying each kid a seat, you'd better believe I will max out on carry ons before I ever consider checking a bag.

bubbaray
02-21-2010, 09:52 PM
We each have medium LLB duffles (color coded) and matching toiletry bags (again, color coded). The girls also have their own Hey's rolling bags: http://shop.heys.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Disney%5FPrincess%5 FKids%5FLuggage

kozachka
02-21-2010, 09:54 PM
We used to travel a lot so DS has his own suitcase (http://www.bestbuysalways.com/servlet/the-37/Samsonite-Sammies-Tiger-Luggage/Detail). It's by Samsonite and looks like a tiger. It came with two matching backpacks, one smaller and one larger. We've got so many positive comments on it, and it is very easy for DS to use. I can pack 2 weeks of DS clothes into it for warm weather. There is a penguin and ladybug versions, too. Best price right now is offered by eBags (http://www.ebags.com/american_tourister/atties_2_pc_childrens_set/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=146068&productid=10008678&sourceID=GOOGFEED&color=Tiger&CAWELAID=441757634), and there is a F&F code that you should look up.

smilequeen
02-21-2010, 09:55 PM
We travel quite a lot, so they both have their own luggage and it is the PBK stuff, although it's solid colors. I'm impressed with how it has held up since PBK can be pretty hit or miss. We also have the trunki cases (gift from Grandma). They don't hold much...one set of clothes and their carry-on toys...but they are a huge help on our longer trips. The kids love to ride on them and pull them.

maestramommy
02-21-2010, 09:58 PM
The girls have a little suitcase on wheels that was passed on to us from our former pastor when her daughter outgrew it. We have been using it to carry the kids' books and toiletries when we travel. One of the wheels cracked and I'm debating whether or not to get both wheels replace, and possibly the zipper as well. The cost might be more than the suitcase is worth, but Dora loves it, and will pull it on her own when we're in the airport.

We also have a med. size suitcase that originally belonged to Dh. It's super old but in great condition. All the girls' clothes and other stuff go in there. Dh and I have another suitcase for us. We haven't gotten the kids their "own" luggage because we have plenty to go around, and they're still too young to care.

scrooks
02-21-2010, 10:10 PM
We got handed down 2 little child size rolling suitcases. Luckily one was for a girl and one was for a boy so it was worked out well. (One of my nieces commented on how she used to have a suit case just like DDs...I had to tell her it was her old suitcase!- She's 12 now and definately didn't care luckily!)

We don't travel a lot, just an occasional weekend to grandmas. It seems like many other posters have medium llbean duffels...I like that idea for when they get older.

AnnieW625
02-21-2010, 10:12 PM
We got a hand me down one from my co worker, it was her daughter's (who is now 16, so it screams late 90s--it's bright purple, pink, and yellow), but Elisa loves it. She is soo proud to have her own suit case. She got soo excited when it came on the baggage claim at the airport. I think you might be able to find some cutesy ones at Target or Wal Mart. Honestly for the price of the PBK ones I would get a nicer American Tourister or other brand name one at Macy's, TJ Maxx (I have seen some nice luggage at the Tustin Marketplace TJ Maxx),Costco, or JC Penneys for the same price and it will most likely last longer.

gobadgers
02-21-2010, 10:27 PM
When we travel (car or plane) I pack all the kids stuff and my stuff together in our ancient luggage. DH packs his own and takes the overflow from ours - same as PP!

DD got an adorable Circo suitcase from grandma, and I am wondering if I can use it for our next flight. I'm afraid to check it - it's not exactly sturdy and I think DD's heart would break if something happened to it.

WatchingThemGrow
02-21-2010, 10:33 PM
I think I'm going to be the only one to say nope, no luggage for our DC. We bought 4pc of Samsonite stuff for ourselves when we first got married. We figured that we would grow into it, and boy have we! We have two HUGE bags that we stuff right to 50lb when we use them, but we ususually only ever need one at a time. I figure if we go snowskiing in a couple years, that we'll need the space in both bags. We also have two carry-on sized suitcases. We usually pack one with DD and DS1's clothes because they share a room when we fly to my mom's, then DS2 gets packed with our stuff.

Until we've got fewer carseats/strollers, etc to deal with, the luggage count is staying low. Their toys for the plane have all fit inside their CARES harness bags, except for the Lauri toddler tote.

I want the Eagle Creek or similar packing bags to make things a little easier, but huge Ziplocs are working for us right now.

tarahsolazy
02-21-2010, 10:55 PM
They have bags, but they aren't kid ones. DS has a convertible backpack/suitcase from Swiss Army that I got cheap from Sierra Trading Post, and DD uses an old medium Eddie Bauer duffle that I've had since the early 90s. We haven't flown with both kids, but when we do, I think I'll invest in a larger rolling suitcase for them to share. DH and I both have 22 in rolling bags, and although that's typically enough room for a week's worth of stuff if you pack carefully, a bigger bag would be nice on occasion.