PDA

View Full Version : FOUR Baby Showers in 2 Weeks...WWYD?

randomkid
02-22-2010, 09:09 AM
I work in a huge dept. in a female dominated field. Currently, there are several women pregnant and they are all due around the same time. There was a shower this past weekend, but I couldn't make it because we had a party for DD. There is a combined shower for 2 of the girls tomorrow at lunch and one next Saturday. I feel bad, but I really can't afford gifts for all these people. There will be a 5th coming up soon because she is due in May. I'm not really close with any of these girls, but I don't want them to feel cheated. Everyone is usually very generous with showers, so I hate to not get them anything. Would you try to go in with someone else (or a few others) and just contribute $10 each for gift cards or just not give a gift to anyone? I have skipped gift giving at these showers before if I'm not close with the person. We are really trying to cut back right now and $50 ($10 each for 5) is not really in my budget at the moment.

Melaine
02-22-2010, 09:12 AM
If you can't afford it, and you aren't close to them, then skip the shower and maybe send a congratulations card when the baby is born. I don't think anyone would blame you for not contributing. If you want to go with something small and inexpensive, Inspired by Finn has some great deals on babylegs and you could knock them all out at once for much less than $10 per baby.

ETA: No way would I go to a work-related shower on Saturday if I wasn't good friends with the person. Nope.

Melbel
02-22-2010, 09:16 AM
For the sake of goodwill at work, I would be inclined to at least get something for the pregnant moms if there was any way I could swing it by getting a super bargain, spending closer to $5 per person. Did you have any luck at any of the Borders? They had some items that would be appropriate for a baby shower (i.e. the Alex bunny blocks, some of the Edushape stuff). Considering the original prices of some of the Borders items, they would make very nice shower gifts IMHO.

Seitvonzu
02-22-2010, 09:46 AM
i was thinking borders/barnesand noble clearance myself.... maybe you have some stashed things that would work?

if you had time -- there is a thread on the bargain board about little miss mismatched having a sale-- SUCH cute baby stuff.

good luck! i'd probably suck it up and try to find bargains myself, but i tend to go overboard with baby things because i just lovelove little clothes ;)

egoldber
02-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Can you contribute a couple dollars to a group gift?

I hate these work/social dilemmas. Ugh.

smiles33
02-22-2010, 10:10 AM
I agree that 5 is a lot, especially if you're not close to any of them. I personally think it's the thought that counts. Offering warm wishes is nice enough IMHO.

I'm not sure how your office culture is, but at my work shower, a manager purchased lunch and people dropped by to say congrats and eat. Only 3 of the 20+ brought gifts so it was easy just to slip those to the side and talk to folks. If your office throws more "formal" showers, then I agree with PP that you might just skip those and offer warm wishes in the hallway when you see one of the pregnant colleagues.

AbbysMom
02-22-2010, 10:19 AM
A woman that I "work" with (we speak often but never have met) sent me a few kids books (Good NIght Moon types) when my oldest was born. It was really nice and very appropriate without being too expensive.

DietCokeLover
02-22-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm trying to think outside of the box for you, so I'm totally just brainstorming....

*But, how about a card with a "menu card" in it for the mom to be to "request" a meal on such and such date from you, and you could bring the family over a lasagna or something like that at a scheduled time once the baby has been born

*I have seen some very cute loveys on clearance recently at TJ Maxx for around $4 recently. Maybe one of those?

.... but, if your budget is really tight, I would just go with a simple card wishing them congratulations.

SnuggleBuggles
02-22-2010, 10:45 AM
I think if you hit sale racks you could pull together gifts that look really nice but are very kind to your budget.

Beth

wellyes
02-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Pick a signature gift that is inexpensive... maybe http://www.amazon.com/Big-Animal-Book-Board-Books/dp/0312490836/ref=pd_sim_b_17: $6, great gift for little ones.