PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in Cape Cod?

SummerBaby
02-22-2010, 07:34 PM
We would like to take the kids to the Cape this summer, I'm looking for a rental for one week in August. I haven't been to the Cape since I had kids, and I'm not sure which area I should be looking in. Pre-kids I liked Eastham, Wellfleet and P-town (I like the Nat'l seashore beaches), but I'm not sure about those areas with kids. There are some nice, reasonably priced rentals in Dennisport, how is that area? Is it really touristy and crowded? I just feel overwhelmed with the planning. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

Twoboos
02-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Dennis/Dennisport is the area we usually stay in. It's centrally located which we like. There are some fabulous beaches - West Dennis beach is easy to maneuver w/kids (back your car right up to the wall) pretty flat, and not very "deep" as far as the sand goes, if that makes sense. This parking lot is good for bikes/walks before the beach opens or after dinner. Mayflower beach is HUGE and you can walk for so long on it! But you have to get there early - if you're trying to get there by 10ish, you're out of luck.

You can get a town beach pass for the week at the town hall. If you go more than either 3 or 4 times (don't remember exactly), it pays for itself.

Dennis Playhouse usually has kids shows, as does the Cape Cod Melody Tent. There is a bike path that you can pick up right in Dennis. And let's not forget Sundae School for ice cream!!!! LOVE IT!!

OK, now I want to go to the Cape. :)

ETA - I wouldn't say Dennis/port is particularly more touristy or crowded - I mean the whole Cape is usually a mess with all the people! But in the past few years I have thought it didn't seem as crazy down there.

wellyes
02-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Depending on the age of your kids..... Nickerson State Park is a really nice camping / hanging out spot. Biking and hiking in the woods or swimming and canoeing in the kettle ponds. It has so many sites & is so heavily booked I was afraid it would be packed but the atmosphere was quiet, calm and very nice for families.

If you're looking for more of a town experience, I find the mid-Cape (Yarmouth, Hyannis) to be a little crazy-crowded and more drinking oriented than family oriented but I'm sure you could have a great time there.

The only town I can think of that would be not-so-fun with little ones is Chatham... I really enjoyed myself there but it is kinda snooty. People want peace and quiet there. Sandwich is similar.

vludmilla
02-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Depending on the age of your kids..... Nickerson State Park is a really nice camping / hanging out spot. Biking and hiking in the woods or swimming and canoeing in the kettle ponds. It has so many sites & is so heavily booked I was afraid it would be packed but the atmosphere was quiet, calm and very nice for families.

If you're looking for more of a town experience, I find the mid-Cape (Yarmouth, Hyannis) to be a little crazy-crowded and more drinking oriented than family oriented but I'm sure you could have a great time there.

The only town I can think of that would be not-so-fun with little ones is Chatham... I really enjoyed myself there but it is kinda snooty. People want peace and quiet there. Sandwich is similar.

Yes, Nickerson state park is a really wonderful camp ground. We've been many times. I think it would be great with kids if they were old enough.

neeleymartin
02-22-2010, 09:44 PM
my vote is for Dennis. I live there year round. we LOVE tourists. beaches are the best on the cape and the people are the friendliest. has the small town feel of olde cape cod!!! I love this place, I will never move. it is centrally located and you can make easy daytrips all around thecape from here. if you have any specifics(address of rentals, etc) I can run it by dh. he is a police officer in town and knows the best places. like most cape places the tourist areas go bad in the winter with winter rentals, lots of trashy people winter here only thing I am not particulary fond of, but keeps dh busy all year.

technically you stay "on" cape cod. it's funny to cape codders when people say "in cape cod". I don't want you to sound like too much of a tourist, lol!

infomama
02-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Nickerson State Park is a really nice camping / hanging out spot. Biking and hiking in the woods or swimming and canoeing in the kettle ponds. It has so many sites & is so heavily booked I was afraid it would be packed but the atmosphere was quiet, calm and very nice for families.
I second Nickerson. We camped there every fall when I was growing up and I have nothing but wonderful memories. We recently rented a house in Brewster and it was perfect for us. Enjoy...Cape Cod is a wonderful place.

MrsZaz
02-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I love Chatham. My 2 DS's and I go there several times a year I have a sister in Chatham). Sorry you had a bad experience.

Colleen

vtmom
02-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Our family LOVED Truro! We took our first family vacation there with DD when she was 6 months old and LOVED it. It is super quiet (not too much there), but SO close to P'Town and Wellfleet (we also love Wellfleet and it's where we ate most of our dinners - but much more expensive to rent in) and all they have to offer (drive-in, mini-golf, restaurants, shopping etc) without their crowds. The Truro beaches are national seashore beaches and were never really too crowded. I could see how it might be too quiet for some people, but it was exactly what we were looking for. Also, there are tons of roads/trails through the National Seashore that we used everyday for walking and we hardly ever saw a car and when we did they were driving super slow because of the conditions of the roads (sand) so we always felt safe on our walks with DD and our dog who came with us on vacation.

We found the house we rented on Craigslist and found the house rental prices in Truro to be a good deal overall. We walked, ran, and biked all over Truro and N. Truro and anywhere you rent a house is going to be close to the beach (the Cape is pretty narrow out there). HTH!

SummerBaby
02-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks! I'm going to try to PM you.

jayali
02-25-2010, 09:42 AM
I like staying in Chatham - DS loves walking into town and to the lighthouse. We also find it to be centrally located to do things all over the cape. We don't rent a house, but the hotel we stay at is very family oriented so their are kids everywhere. we love the band concerts on friday night.

we have friends who have family in Dennis so we do spend a fair amount of time there as well.

I find all of the cape to be EXTREMELY family and kid friendly, with the exception of Provincetown.

ehf
04-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Jayali,

Which hotel do you stay at in Chatham? Thanks!