PDA

View Full Version : When did you tell DD/DS you were pregnant?

KrystalS
02-23-2010, 03:53 PM
So I went to dr yesterday to confirm with a blood test and I'm pregnant! I was already pretty sure, but still wanted to confirm. I've only told one close friend and my mom. I'm not planning to tell any other family members until I tell DD. She just turned 6. Is it common to wait until 8-12wks to tell people? I was much younger when I had DD and told everyone as soon as I found out. Never even considered m/c or anything else that could happen early on.
I know DD will be really excited so I can't wait to tell her! At the same time I'm only about 4 wks at the most, so 8 mos is a long time for a 6yo to wait!

lchang25000
02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
I don't have any experience since DS is the only child right now, but just wanted to say congrats! How exciting!

catpagmo
02-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Congratulations!

I told DD I was preggo about a week after I found out. She was 2.5 y.o. at the time. I think if she were old enough to understand, I would have waited a bit before telling her. Maybe even close to 12 weeks.
I told my friends/family right away with my first pregnancy, and waited about 2 weeks with the second. I can't keep secrets very well!

JBaxter
02-23-2010, 03:57 PM
I told mine after I had an early u/s to see the heart beat so 8-9 weeks

awoodm
02-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Congrats! I think I waited until about I was about 12 weeks to tell DS1 about DS2.

SnuggleBuggles
02-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Congratulations!!! I wait till 12 weeks to tell anyone but dh. Just my desire to keep things private in case something happens. We told ds1 a few days shy of 12 weeks and the world knew within minutes. :)

Beth

KrystalS
02-23-2010, 04:22 PM
We told ds1 a few days shy of 12 weeks and the world knew within minutes. :)

Beth

:) This is what will happen with us as well!

Thanks for the Congrats everyone! I'm really excited!

lorinick
02-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Congrats! 12 weeks my ds was 6 at the time.

AnnieW625
02-23-2010, 05:33 PM
We told DD with the baby we lost at about 12-14 weeks I think and it was because DD was in this jumping phase; she was 2/1/2 then. With this baby we waited until just before Christmas so right about the time I was 19 or so weeks pregnant, maybe almost 20. We waited until we had the 18 week u/s to make sure that everything was okay.

I remember when I was 9 and my mom got pregnant with my sister she told use somewhere around 10 or 11 weeks, but I remember looking at her at Thanksgiving and already having a feeling she was pregnant then. I would wait until the end of the first trimester just to be safe. Good luck, and congrats!

smilequeen
02-23-2010, 06:38 PM
I was not planning to tell them until I had the nuchal screening if all was OK. The miscarriage would have been very hard on my 5 year old if he had known. It was hard on him anyway because he knew I had surgery and I was very sad.

elektra
02-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Congrats! My DD was so little I never really had to tell her. I'm sure many folks with chime in with BTDT experience. Here's to a healthy 8+ more months!

ged
02-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Congrats! I think it's hard to say, because even if something terrible did happen, your DD will probably still pick up on it, and maybe should know about it. That being said, we waited to tell my DD (almost 4 at the time)...hoping to bring her to the 20 week anatomy scan and tell her then. Unfortunately, a couple days before I lost the baby. We never quite told her what happened, but she knew something was wrong since I had to go to the hospital, etc.

This time, we told her when I was 14 weeks, since I had to be on strict bedrest after my cerclage surgery. At that time, we also told her about her little brother who didn't survive. Not sure if we did the right thing...I mean, there is no absolute right with these things....but we just went with our gut. My DD is almost 5, so she was old enough to understand.

With your DD being 6, I think it can go either way, but I would probably still wait at least until the 8 week scan, if not even later. It might come down to when you start showing and when she figures it out :)

Congrats again. All the Best!

AnnieW625
02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I should also add that when I was 6 my aunt found out she was pregnant with her first baby; they were living out of state then so I didn't actually get to see them just heard on the phone and we must have been told pretty early on. They ended up losing the baby somewhere at the end of the first trimester and I think my dad or mom just told me the baby died. I don't remember overly emotional about it, but I was 6 so maybe I was but I just remember being really excited I was going to have a cousin one day and then learning I wasn't going to have a cousin a while later. Now if it had been a sibling I might have reacted differently, but I just can't say for sure.

Jacksmommy2b
02-23-2010, 10:44 PM
J was much younger at barely three and we had planned on talking to him after the first trimester. We did tell our parents and my sibs. My brother's girlfriend ended up talking to him about it. I was pretty upset about it at the time - more that I wasn't the one to have the conversation with him, but the poor girl felt so horrible about it I couldn't stay mad.

J was pretty ambivilent (sp?) about the whole thing. (as he still is about the baby)

I would just go with what you are comfortable with.

newg
02-23-2010, 11:36 PM
I have told DD, but she's 2........so all she know is a "baby" is in mommy's tummy......but I could have told her a dog or monkey was in mommy's tummy and she'd be excited. We waited 'till about 12 weeks to start talking about the "baby" though.

With her being six.....I'm guessing she's in school......I would tell her when you're reading for everyone in school to know! I had kids come into school very excited that they were going to be a big sister or brother and they told everybody!!

Congrats by the way!!!

Melbel
02-24-2010, 07:04 AM
First, contratulations!!! We definitely waited until the end of the first trimester to tell almost everyone, including DS (almost 8 at the time) and DD1 (6 at the time). It is one of my fondest memories. They were absolutely over the moon. I cannot imagine how sad they would have been if I had lost the baby. We told them before school one morning, which meant I was frantically calling my mom friends that day because I wanted them to hear from me, not their kids. DD1 told everyone!

Over the years, we have known of far too many miscarriages in the first trimester, including DS' first grade teacher. It was hard on the kids and I cannot tell you how many questions I had to answer.

Wishing you a happy, healthy pregnancy and special memories when you decide it is the right time to share your pregnancy with your DD.

TwinFoxes
02-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Congratulations! I don't have any BTDT (the girls knew about each other early on ;) ) but a friend of mine waited a long time to tell her DD because she didn't want to have to answer "is the baby coming today?" every day for 6 months! Her DD was almost 3 I believe, and very verbal. When she did find out, she made it clear she did NOT want a baby brother EVER. Then she settled into asking "is the baby coming today?" every day for about 3 months. :)