PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me (with my mind in the gutter)...

LarsMal
02-23-2010, 06:35 PM
or does reading about the Tea Party being referred to as the "teabaggers" make you giggle, too?!?! (One of the negatives of growing up in a house full of brothers!)

elektra
02-23-2010, 06:40 PM
I had not seen that reference! LOL! Not a good visual. Hehe.

billysmommy
02-23-2010, 06:40 PM
You're not alone

DH even explained it to Billy who found it hysterical :)

SnuggleBuggles
02-23-2010, 06:45 PM
I have the sense of humor of a stereotypical frat boy so, yes, it does make me giggle. :)

Beth

elliput
02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Oh, yeah. I find it hilarious.

LarsMal
02-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Okay, good- I'm not alone!! I also saw that someone blogged, in response to the Scott Brown vote, "We've been tea-bagged." :hysterical:

kristenk
02-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Um, I have to admit that I don't know what the term means. I really don't want to google it, just in case. Can someone discreetly explain what it means?

elektra
02-23-2010, 06:53 PM
There is a certain male body part that resembles a tea bag when dangled.
There is more to it but I'll stop there.

LarsMal
02-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Um, I have to admit that I don't know what the term means. I really don't want to google it, just in case. Can someone discreetly explain what it means?

um...a certain male part...you can imagine the rest!

kristenk
02-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Ahhh. I was guessing something along those lines.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
There is a sexual act that is called teabagging, referring to the male body part mentioned earlier...

And yes DH and I crack up calling Palin a teabagger!:rotflmao: We call her that all the time now!:hysterical:

Twoboos
02-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Definitely not just you - I burst out laughing in the car the other day while listening to NPR, and couldn't stop giggling. In fact, this thread has me starting again.

elizabethkott
02-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Heh heh. Teabagging. Heh heh.

JTsMom
02-23-2010, 08:04 PM
I swear, something about having a son has given me a frat boy sense of humor. So, yeah. Me too. :p

Carrots
02-23-2010, 08:12 PM
I find it hilarious. :hysterical: I saw a montage recently that combine footage from different news stations with anchors/hosts saying the word "teabagging". I'll see if I can find it on Youtube.

snowbunnies300
02-23-2010, 08:35 PM
No, I do not find it funny at all. I don't make sexual references to others who have different political beliefs than myself.

michellerw
02-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Somehow it's even more amusing when Rachel Maddow uses the phrase. I think it's the smirk she gets on her face.

MamaMolly
02-23-2010, 08:48 PM
I think it is funny and inappropriate. :) What can I say? I love stupid jokes and puns, too.

SnuggleBuggles
02-23-2010, 08:51 PM
No, I do not find it funny at all. I don't make sexual references to others who have different political beliefs than myself.

I'm not mocking their political beliefs. I think it was a bad idea to start using a phrase that has that kind of second meaning. It's like Apple coming out with the iPad. It was just a bad name.

Beth

mommylamb
02-23-2010, 09:08 PM
The funny part of this is that they started out calling themselves tea baggers, not realizing the inuendo. It's not like this was started by the left as a name calling thing.

khm
02-23-2010, 09:17 PM
The funny part of this is that they started out calling themselves tea baggers, not realizing the inuendo. It's not like this was started by the left as a name calling thing.

Yeah, this is an instance where a bit of googling would have been worth the 30 seconds....

himom
02-23-2010, 09:45 PM

Are you sure about that? I thought it was the media that started out with that.

codex57
02-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Whew, I'm not the only one who thinks that way. :)

khm
02-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Are you sure about that? I thought it was the media that started out with that.

They deemed themselves the "Tea Bag Party", with a "Taxed Enough Already" slogan.

Tea Bag Party Member quickly got shortened to Tea Bagger, probably from both sides, who knows.

Either way, it was a poor poor choice in a name, given the alternate association! It seemed they didn't know about the connotation when the picked the name.

himom
02-23-2010, 11:10 PM
They deemed themselves the "Tea Bag Party", with a "Taxed Enough Already" slogan.

Tea Bag Party Member quickly got shortened to Tea Bagger, probably from both sides, who knows.

Either way, it was a poor poor choice in a name, given the alternate association! It seemed they didn't know about the connotation when the picked the name.

Uh....no. They are the "Tea Party" aka the "Tea Party Patriots." The "bag" and the undermining ridicule that accompanies it got tacked on. The proper name is loosely inspired by the Boston Tea Party, whom, you will note, are never referred to as "tea baggers."

It's disrespectful, IMO, to refer to a political movement with snickers and smirks due to a bastardization of their title. If you're going to mock them, at least aim for their ideals/principles.

Disclosure: I don't belong to them and don't know much about them. I just think it's time for people in politics and the media to GROW UP and start discussing ISSUES instead of employing this kind of insidious crap against each other.

Do these people have any good points, and should we be listening? Who knows -- too many people are too busy laughing to find out.

khm
02-23-2010, 11:28 PM
http://teabagparty.org/ They use the word bag here???

Their protests often pictured people wearing hats festooned with tea bags, as well as on their signs, etc.

They wanted people to mail tea bags to the white house as a sign of protest.

They've certainly not shied away from using tea bags as part of their tea party theme.

Look, I don't have a dog in this fight. Really. I simply noted that when they were naming their organization, it would have behooved them to do a bit of research because, well, the unfortunate derivative nickname wasn't too hard to foresee.

Karinyc
02-23-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm not a supporter of the Tea Party movement (and the tacked on "patriot" title makes me suspicious and a little nervous), but I agree with the pp that the "bagger" part was added by pundits (initially by the left and now used by both sides).

Wiki has a rather accurate and concise description. You can also use Urban Dictionary to find out its sexual connotation. Interesting to note...

"In a 14 March report on Fox News, Griff Jenkins said, "ReTeaParty.com has a headline, 'Teabag the fools in DC on Tax Day.' They want you ... to take a tea bag, put it an envelope, and mail it to the White House."[17] from Wikipedia and you can also find it on several blogs (specifically referencing the FOX News report).

Even though it obviously has a double entendre, it certainly has gained popularity as a political term, regardless of inappropriateness (and surprisingly, there have been signs at Tea Party protests using the word).

bcafe
02-23-2010, 11:48 PM
That is a web site that an individual created.
TeaBagParty.org was conceived by a small business person who has been working day and night to keep the business running and people employed for the past 7 years.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement?wasRedirected=true

khm
02-23-2010, 11:56 PM
That is a web site that an individual created.
TeaBagParty.org was conceived by a small business person who has been working day and night to keep the business running and people employed for the past 7 years.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement?wasRedirected=true

Fair enough! Thanks for the info. :)