PDA

View Full Version : How much snow have you had in your area this season?

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-24-2010, 03:05 AM
We are at 118", beating out Syracuse, NY!!!! Our average is about 110".

"Nationally, Flagstaff is nearly 3 feet ahead of the unofficial U.S. leader in snowfall to date in the lower 48 states -- Syracuse, N.Y., with 86 inches. But the cutoff to make the list is a population of 100,000 or more, and Flagstaff has just 60,000 people inside its city limits."

What is a lot/? What is average?

sariana
02-24-2010, 03:12 AM
It doesn't snow here at the house. We live at the base of a small mountain range, and it has had a dusting a few times. But we've had nothing compared to what we got in December 2008. That was a 20-year snowfall. (All the real estate brochures and such used photos from the 80s, with the "lake" in the foreground and the snow-capped mountain in the background. Last winter all the photographers were out, no doubt to provide more recent photos for all the advertising.)

We have had a ton of rain, though, which is great for the yard, not so great for the people who live by the burn areas.

Big Bear has had a ton of snow, but I don't know whether it has broken any records or how it compares to what is normal for them. The last few years have been so dry that we'd all forgotten what precipitation looks like.

american_mama
02-24-2010, 04:00 AM
I lived in Syracuse, NY for almost 25 years and yes, they get a lot of snow; in fact, it's the snowiest "big" city in the country, averaging 115 inches a year according to wikipedia. My sister's birthday is in late April and we had snow on occasion. At Halloween, you usually had to account for a winter coat in addition to your Halloween costume. In elementary school, kids brought snowsuits and sleds to school with them, propped them up next to your cubby, and we'd gear up and sled on school property as part of recess. If I recall right, the airport has the biggest snowplow in the world.

You learn to deal with it and Syracuse deals with snow superbly. Nothing closes; I don't recall my dad's company ever closing for weather and I cannot remember a time in my life when we had two days of school closings in a row. Even one snow day is unusual. No one rushes to the grocery store for food. Homeowners own snowblowers or have contracts with small snowplow operators to do their driveway, or you shovel. Cities and towns operate tons of snowplow. I never, ever saw backhoes and the like plowing snow until I moved to the south.

Anyway, now that I am in the south, this has been a record breaking snowfall for us at around 56 inches, if I recall right. The previous record was about 54 inches.

ellies mom
02-24-2010, 04:01 AM
We had about 3-4" that lasted overnight once this year. We normally have 1-2 snow "storms" a year. Most years the snow is gone the next day. Sometimes, especially if it is combined with freezing rain, it will stick around for a few to several days. Last year we had a foot for a week. That isn't normal.

kijip
02-24-2010, 04:09 AM
Zero. Which is pretty typical for Seattle. Moderate weather has it's plusses (or minuses, for those that love snow) :wink2:

lchang25000
02-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Way below average here in Utah acording to the weather report I saw recently.

JTsMom
02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
We've had two snowfalls in Atlanta. The first was really minor- I don't think anyone got more than an inch. The second was closer to 3". Just the right amount! :)

gobadgers
02-24-2010, 09:40 AM
In the Chicago area, I just saw on the news that we have had about 50" so far - double the total winter average.

Figures that this is the year I buy a house on a corner with lots of sidewalk to shovel :tongue5:

DietCokeLover
02-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Since Christmas, we've had a total of about 45" to 50". A couple of those were 10"+ each, but the others were just an inch or two here and there.

egoldber
02-24-2010, 09:56 AM
The official Washington DC area total so far this winter season is 54+ inches, which is an all time record for us. But that is measured at National Airport, which is right on the Potomac River, and doesn't get as much snowfall as the surrounding areas. So locally many people here have seen a LOT more snow than that!

Total for Dulles airport are 63+ inches and for Baltimore airport are 72+ inches.

almostamom
02-24-2010, 10:27 AM
None here in the Phoenix 'burbs :wink2: but we're heading to Flagstaff this weekend for a ski trip. The day I graduated from NAU, May 10, 1991, it snowed.

Linda

jess_g
02-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Well we have had about 20 inches of snow here this winter and I know that we have been very lucky . We got hit with 3 big snow storms (well big for us), but also missed 2. This is one reason I like living by the ocean we get rain sometimes when other parts nearby get snow.

Jessica.

bubbaray
02-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Watch NBC. Virtually zero snow here this year. Usually, in February, we are still skiing on a lot of snow in the local hills. If you have watched any of the Freestyle events (snowboard, ski cross, etc), they are at Cypress, a local hill that has zero snow. I'm not sure what they have as of today, b/c it was snowing yesterday during the ski cross. It looked like slush, though, so maybe it d/n stick.

pb&j
02-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Our official total is about 60". Set an all time snowfall record. Average is around a foot. So, we're pretty much DONE with winter down here!! On the upside, the ski resort near us is having their best season ever. Usually they have to make nearly all of their snow.

lizzywednesday
02-24-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't want to know, but we got hit by all the "major" snowstorms on the East Coast with significant snowfall amounts since 12/19 ... all 3 events dumped 12"+ on us. We didn't get mail for several days after the last one because the plowbank in front of our mailbox was too high & deep for the truck to get near the box.

At least we didn't lose power during the last one; my mom did and she ended up having to head to a hotel.

aa2mama
02-24-2010, 10:53 AM
We're at around 52" so far this winter -- currently our fifth highest snowfall with 72" as our record snowfall.

JTsMom
02-24-2010, 11:16 AM
You know, immediately after I posted, I looked out the window, and now we have flurries! Nothing's sticking, but it's pretty. :) We're supposed to get about 1/2"

MelissaTC
02-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Ready to laugh? Probably around 7 or 8 inches. The 5-6 inches we got a couple of weeks ago was enough to shut life down around here for a few days. LOL. I should preface that by saying there was a layer of ice underneath that snow. In any case, we are not equipped to handle it and people around here definitely can't drive in it!!

fivi2
02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
We got half an inch yesterday :boogie:

It was very exciting for everyone. We don't get snow very often :)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Way below average here in Utah acording to the weather report I saw recently.

I bet it is because the jet stream is pushing stuff to the South, like to Flagstaff... Sorry. :(

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't want to know, but we got hit by all the "major" snowstorms on the East Coast with significant snowfall amounts since 12/19 ... all 3 events dumped 12"+ on us. We didn't get mail for several days after the last one because the plowbank in front of our mailbox was too high & deep for the truck to get near the box.

At least we didn't lose power during the last one; my mom did and she ended up having to head to a hotel.

We have a community mailbox, due to snow. They plow the 10 or so in our neighborhood. Each box holds 50-100 houses mail...

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-24-2010, 04:26 PM
It's funny. I always thought "back East " there was so much snow. But here in the mountains of Arizona we get sooooo much more.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-24-2010, 04:29 PM
None here in the Phoenix 'burbs :wink2: but we're heading to Flagstaff this weekend for a ski trip. The day I graduated from NAU, May 10, 1991, it snowed.

Linda

PM me if you want any info.... Plan on getting to Snowbowl before 9, as sometimes due to a lack of parking they stop letting cars up...DH has a pas, he will be there on Sun. We are supposed to get snow Saturday, the last storm dropped Southwest powder, very nice. We got almost a foot in town, so the Peaks surely got more!

ilfaith
02-24-2010, 04:40 PM
None. But some parts of Florida (even to the south of us) did get a dusting a few weeks back. It has been an unusually cold this winter. Did a number on the citrus and strawberries...not to mention our littlest palm tree.

I went to college in Syracuse, and remember one year on the morning I went to take my last final in May there were about two inches of fresh snow on the ground. Happy to leave that behind to start my summer vacation.

graciebellesmomma
02-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Well, now I don't know.
I've heard from several people that we've had
over 200 inches this year here in Lake Tahoe.
Not sure where I find
the information to get actual facts.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Well, now I don't know.
I've heard from several people that we've had
over 200 inches this year here in Lake Tahoe.
Not sure where I find
the information to get actual facts.

I think because the pop. of SLT is under 30,000 and places like Truckee, Incline, and Tahoe City are so small, they aren't usually counted.... Truckee gets like 200" per year average.

We had an article in our paper saying that if we had 100,000 people we would beat out Syracuse as the snowiest city in the lower 48.