PDA

View Full Version : s/o Biggest family you know where both parents work?

american_mama
02-24-2010, 04:15 AM
This is a spinoff of the most number of kids question and a thread long ago about if three kids is the new two. What is the biggest family you know of today where both parents work full-time? The kids have to be school-aged or younger right now, not grown up.

The biggest two-working-parent families I know have four children. I know four such families (compared to about 7 familes of the same size with stay-at-home moms).

Sometimes one parent has a very flexible job.. freelancer, real estate agent, etc. In three cases, the mom is a physician and I often wonder if that higher income helps make it financially easier to manage four children.

kozachka
02-24-2010, 04:55 AM
A mom in DS' class works part time as a dentist and has three kids, her husband works full time, too, but they get help from grandma. All kids go to elementary school at the moment. I don't know any families with four kids.

kijip
02-24-2010, 05:41 AM
11. They both work themselves to the bone for low wages.

Middle class and above? 4.

Meatball Mommie
02-24-2010, 07:46 AM
4. The family might even have 5, but I'm not 100% sure. They are all girls and 4 of them go to our private (and not cheap) school. The mom is a photographer that does those beach portraits of families on the cape. I'm not sure what the dad does but he must earn a lot. They also live in a very expensive gated (with a guard) country club community. With 4-5 girls in private school, they must be well off, but I don't know them well enough to say how they do it.

Other

maestramommy
02-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Probably 2-3. Most of the bigger families I know are here, and SAHMs are more common here.

TwinFoxes
02-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Four. One of my former colleagues had four kids, I don't know what her DH did, but he definitely worked outside the home. Then they got divorced, so she had four kids on her own. He was a jerk...one of those where you wonder why anyone would marry him in the first place, let alone stay married and keep having kids.

sunshine873
02-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Three. A good friend of mine. I don't know how she does it. I only have 1, am a SAHM and can't seem to get the laundry done and dinner on the table in the same day!

egoldber
02-24-2010, 08:17 AM
I guess 3. The families I know with more than 3 all have a SAHM. And even most families I know with 3, if the mom has employment outside the home, usually it is part time or WAH. I do know at least 2 families with 2 WOH full time parents.

Most people I work with have 1 or 2 children though.

Joolsplus2
02-24-2010, 10:01 AM
A lawyer and a pharmacist live next door to me, with 5 kids. She (pharmacist) seems to have fairly flexible hours, based on the appearance and disappearance of cars, and for a couple years they had a nanny helping out during non-daycare hours when needed.

hillview
02-24-2010, 10:08 AM
3 kids is the largest I know of with both parents working OOTH full time.
/hillary

MelissaTC
02-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Several families with 4 and 5 children. Not sure what they do though. I know at least one parent works in the tech industry in all the families. They all have at least one teenager in college or high school and then younger children.

secchick
02-24-2010, 10:26 AM
4. I know a family that had two sets of twins. Both are attorneys, but the wife may have gone to a part time arrangement after the second set of twins. There are several families in DC's daycare with 3. DDs school is Catholic and about half the kids in are in the extended day program. Of those, most have 2 kids, some have 3.

mommy111
02-24-2010, 10:32 AM
6 kids. Both parents are docs. I think it was a little bit of a wanting 3 kids and getting six because the last set was quadruplets.

Moneypenny
02-24-2010, 10:47 AM
6 kids. Mom and dad work opposite shifts, so I'm not entirely sure when they find the time to, ah, make the 6 kids, but it seems to work for them!

AnnieW625
02-24-2010, 11:51 AM
In high school I knew a family with six kids and both parents worked. IIRC they both worked at the university in their city.

Right now I know one family with 3 kids whose parents both work outside the home full time. The kids in this lone family are 9 mos., 5, and 7. The father works in finance, and the mom is a teacher. The rest of the families I know with more than two kids have a SAHM.

mikeys_mom
02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Well, we have 4 kids and DH and I are both working ;). Never thought of us as a big family, but I guess we are.

I have two friends with 5 kids and one with 6 kids and both parents work. In all cases, the mother is either working 4 days a week or more flexible hours.

khm
02-24-2010, 02:52 PM
6 (4 are quads). They have grandparents very close by to help.