PDA

View Full Version : Any naturopathic treatments for asthma?

bubbaray
02-24-2010, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't stop DD#1's conventional treatment (ventolin + pulmicort, along with Claritin for seasonal allergies), but am looking for any non-pharmaceutical, alternative treatment I could also use to help her.

TIA

Melaine
02-24-2010, 10:46 AM
I have read about Vitamin D helping a lot. It can be taken through supplements but supposedly daily exposure to sunshine is even better. I think I saw it on EarthClinic.com.

I don't see it now, but they mention some other stuff here that you might want to check: http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/asthma.html

ETA: I'm very curious about the apple cider vinegar. I've heard that it has so many benefits it might be worth trying....

bubbaray
02-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Thank you. My GP wants me to give both girls VitD supplements, but to be honest, I keep forgetting. Will get some today.

Melaine
02-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Thank you. My GP wants me to give both girls VitD supplements, but to be honest, I keep forgetting. Will get some today.

Maybe you can find gummy ones? My kids never let ME forget those because they love them!

alumina
02-24-2010, 11:38 AM
I think it's great you want to do more to help allergies. Just make sure to tell doctor & pharmacist EVERTHING your child is taking since some supplements can interfere with some prescription drugs. Just to be safe.

dylansnan
02-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Wow! I'm going to get some apple cider vinegar today, and try it. I'd love to get off of steroids.

m448
02-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I have mild/moderate asthma that came back in adulthood. It was pretty severe as a kid and your posts about your daughters brings back not so great memories of me and the sibs plus all the emergency room visits.

I've been taking Quercetin. I take 500mg a day and it's a bioflavinoid which is supposed to help with all sorts of cardiovascular issues (it's done amazing things for my mom's cholesterol) but also for people with allergy and asthma. I'd do a little more research on dosing children since I'm not familiar with that but if it's severe enough something I would be willing to consider.

As far as my own results I had at least 2 wheezing episodes a day when I wasn't sick like with a cold but now I don't experience the wheezing/lack of breath and illness hits me like a normal person. I also take high doses of vitamin D and take quite a bit of supplements but the quercetin has made the difference since I was diagnosed last summer. I give my own kids vitamin D (in flavorless drops, just one drop per day) as well as cod liver oil. My oldest had pneumonia when he was 3 years old and after that every cold required the neb. I began giving him some herbal/homemade lung syrups that I found in a great book and cod liver oil which over the years has healed his lungs that now a cold is just a cold.

sste
02-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Do you have air quality issues where you live? I tend to think not from what I know of your area and of course moving is generally not feasible. But, I think the research is growing about the effects of polllution, ozone, living near airports etc. on development and severity of asthma.

Tondi G
02-24-2010, 01:13 PM

My 4.5 yr old loves the rainbow light sunny gummies ... we just ran out and he keeps asking me about his lemon vitamins!

alirebco
02-24-2010, 02:14 PM
My naturopath mentioned Vitamin C for asthma but I didn't get details on dosing.

MichelleRC
02-24-2010, 05:48 PM
I am currently researching natural asthma remedies for myself too. DS2's asthma is well under control with Asmanex and the occasional neb or inhaler. I went off my meds (due to side effects) and have been wheezing terribly the last few weeks.
So, I got the book "Reversing Asthma" by Richard Firshein, D.O. and am finding it pretty helpful and interesting reading. I just started taking Flaxseed Oil capsules as he recommended and plan to add Magnesium, which he says is the nutrient he would recommend above all others. I have also tried some of the breathing exercises he talks about.
I would love to hear about some other natural remedies as well!

melissaflorida
02-24-2010, 06:40 PM
I take my dd who is 5.5 yo to a accuputrist for a treatment called NAET for her asthma. You can read about on Naet.com. It seems to really help. She goes 2 times a month for treatment.

It's a needless treatment and my dd loves going.

-Melissa