PDA

View Full Version : Maui

clc053103
02-24-2010, 02:15 PM
We are headed to Maui for a week in April- staying at either Grand Wailea or Wailea Marriot (we are being assigned one or the other, but would love to hear about either!).

While part of the trip will have group activities (it's a work reward event for DH) we will be staying extra days. I was wondering if this was the sort of place where you need to be "prepared" with reservations for meals and events, etc or if you can figure it out when you get there (I remember Aruba we had several reservations made at popular places prior to arrival). I would also love to hear your must-see's, must-do's, and my favorite, must-dines!

This is our first trip to Hawaii and since we literally just found out, I feel ill prepared! Thanks!

smiles33
02-24-2010, 02:20 PM
We went to Maui years ago before DD1's birth and my favorite place (and I think the only place we made a reservation at) was the Hali'imaile General Store (http://www.bevgannonrestaurants.com/haliimaile/index.html). We love eating and SF and NYC have some amazing restaurants that I would pit Hali'imaile against any day.

Have a GREAT time!

connor_mommy
02-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Check out Paia. I loved Mana Foods! It's like Whole Foods, but smaller and not as pricey for being on the island. They have a prepared food section which is great. You can pick out what you'd like to eat and enjoy it on the beach. Also, there's a great gelato place and they Paia Fish Market is pretty good. For finer dining, they have Mama's Fish House right on the beach. Have Fun!

WatchingThemGrow
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
We stayed at the Wailea Marriott for part of our honeymoon. It was fun to walk over to the Grand and Four Seasons. Some places I remember (fondly) were Spago at 4seasons, a cheap breakfast place in Kihei - oh, here (http://www.kiheicaffe.com/) and the luau at the Marriott of course. The other hotels are more flashy with pools that are more fun, but it was fine for us! We had lots of activities planned, like biking with Maui Downhill, going to Hana, etc. Have a great time! So jealous!

smiles33
02-24-2010, 05:41 PM
P.S., in response to connor_mommy, I wanted to say that lots of people seem to like Mama's Fish House but we found it overpriced and really focused on catering to tourists. I had the same impression 15+ years ago when I went with my parents as a high school student but everyone talks about Mama's so I decided to try it again. I wish we had eaten at Hali'imaile twice instead of going to Mama's. Still, you can't beat the view (it's almost right on the beach and open-air so you feel the ocean breezes) and they have great cocktails with umbrellas and the other tourist kitsch.

We also tried The Waterfront at Maalaea which was good, but reminded me more of a traditional seafood restaurant you can find on the mainland. Hali'imaile and Mama's are more "Hawaiian-flavored," at least when it comes to decor/dining experience.

Also, the mention of Kihei reminded me that there's a great gourmet cheese shop in Kihei, Who Cut the Cheese? (http://www.whocutthecheese.net/) They import cheeses so it's not cheap, but it makes for a nice picnic meal to get some cheese and meats. We also spent much of our vacation stalking the perfect malasada (Portuguese inspired donut that is famous in Hawaii). Never did find one that was memorable. Pretty much tasted like fried donut holes dipped in sugar.

pharmjenn
02-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Wow, I am going with my family between Palm Sunday an Easter. Staying in a timeshare in Lahaina. We won't be planning special dinners that require reservations, except for the Luau. That we will wait to book when we get there, since the one I want (The Marriott I think, as I have a 2yo) doesn't have reserved seats. You are probably getting a luau with your group events.
My sister read that you may want to make surfing reservations if you plan to do that, as those fill. I am hoping we can get a timeshare presentation to give us free or discounted helicopter tickets once we get there.
Since I will be there Easter Sunday, I will be making reservations for someplace to eat that day, but that is it. Can't wait to hear what everyone recommends around the island!

Tondi G
02-25-2010, 12:50 PM
are you traveling with kids? If so then the Marriott should be great for you! They have a kiddie pool that is like a mini water park (slides and sprayers etc)... I know my kids would be glued to that area! If it's just you and DH then I hope you get the Grand Wailea. From what I remember (my friend stayed at the Marriott) she said it isn't directly on the beach... you have to walk down a path for about 10 minutes to get to a sand beach but she said it was nice to get a little walk in.

as far as places to see/things to do check out this website

http://Family-Vacations-Hawaii.com/maui.html

this might help some

http://gohawaii.about.com/od/mauiactivities/tp/top_maui_to_do.htm

clc053103
02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks everyone!

Tondi I am definitely keeping fingers crossed for Grand Wailea, it's just us (kids welcome only with a nanny and we live on the east coast so that would mean looong flight for a 4 year old, not to mention $3000 for airfare plus a room for them both!) We have no control over which hotel but think most activities for the entire group will be at Grand Wailea.

Thanks for the restaurant reccs and websites! Look forward to reading more!

WatchingThemGrow
02-25-2010, 03:49 PM
just FYI, there is a Tiffany's at the little shopping area by those hotels. It would be a fun (child-free) time to get something memorable :)

I liked the small waterslide pool at the Marriott, but the GW has amazing slides, etc. Did you see when J&K+8 went there?

connor_mommy
02-25-2010, 04:35 PM
You should also check out Sansei Sushi. B/t 5 and 6pm is happy hour and the menu is 25% off. If you plan on going, you'll need to get in line at about 4:30. The food is pretty good.

clc053103
02-25-2010, 05:56 PM
just FYI, there is a Tiffany's at the little shopping area by those hotels. It would be a fun (child-free) time to get something memorable :)

I liked the small waterslide pool at the Marriott, but the GW has amazing slides, etc. Did you see when J&K+8 went there?

Sadly, when DH first showed me the invite, I said "Grand Wailea, that's where J & K renewed their vows!" what a dork I am! That's why I really want to stay there, because I saw how nice it is!

AnnieW625
02-25-2010, 06:52 PM
You should also check out Sansei Sushi. B/t 5 and 6pm is happy hour and the menu is 25% off. If you plan on going, you'll need to get in line at about 4:30. The food is pretty good.

We ate at Sensai too when we went on our honeymoon in 2003. It was great. I don't recall if we made it for happy hour or not, but I don't remember it being uber expensive either. I also recommend Roy's. We recently ate at the one in Newport Beach, CA and it was just as excellent as the one in Maui we ate at on our honeymoon. Not cheap (our meal, from the prefix menu, and a drink for DH, and tip was just under $100), but soo worth it. We didn't eat there, but I also heard great things about Nick's at the Fairmont Kei Lani (where we stayed), and I also heard that hands down the best luau on the island is the Old Lahaina Luau (http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/); it books up quick though so you need to make a reservation well in advance. We went to one at the Renaissance and it was nice, but I heard so many better reviews of the Old Lahaina one.

Tondi G
02-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks everyone!

Tondi I am definitely keeping fingers crossed for Grand Wailea, it's just us (kids welcome only with a nanny and we live on the east coast so that would mean looong flight for a 4 year old, not to mention $3000 for airfare plus a room for them both!) We have no control over which hotel but think most activities for the entire group will be at Grand Wailea.

Thanks for the restaurant reccs and websites! Look forward to reading more!

I will cross my fingers for you too! The GW would be so nice.... without the kids along... although I would take it with my kids along too! :) I hope hope hope you end up getting to stay at the GW!!!! Good Luck and be sure to come back and let us know how your trip/stay was!!!! I am so jealous... I really wanted to do Hawaii this year but I think we're going to Cruise again... money wise it just works out better for our family! Have a wonderful trip!

bubbaray
02-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Will you have a car? Last January, we stayed in Kaanapali and had some great dining experiences in Kaanapali and Lahaina. We actually really liked the food at Bubba Gumps (we didnt' have high expectations, but it was pretty good). We also really liked the Mexican food place in Lahaina Cannery Mall (at the back), but when I google it, it looks like it has now closed.

In that same mall, in the front near Starbucks, is another restaurant called Lulus which is pretty good.

I think it was Joes Grill that we liked in the Kihei area.

SummerBaby
02-25-2010, 10:00 PM
We went to Maui for our honeymoon in 2002 and it was by far my best vacation ever! We stayed at the 4 Seasons in Wailea, it's a beautiful beach. As for restaurants, our favorites were David Paul's Lahaina Grill and Pacifico, both in Lahaina (not sure they're still around). At Pacifico, you can actually eat dinner on the beach. It's so romantic and beautiful! And the food is delicious. The drive to Lahaina from Wailea is also beautiful. We had a convertible and on one stretch the spray of the ocean actually hits you as you drive by. Our favorite activity, other than the beach, was driving the Road to Hana. Again, very romantic and beautiful sights. You can see everything from bamboo forests to black sand beaches.

Enjoy your trip!

lizzywednesday
02-26-2010, 09:00 PM
P.S., in response to connor_mommy, I wanted to say that lots of people seem to like Mama's Fish House but we found it overpriced and really focused on catering to tourists. I had the same impression 15+ years ago when I went with my parents as a high school student but everyone talks about Mama's so I decided to try it again. I wish we had eaten at Hali'imaile twice instead of going to Mama's. Still, you can't beat the view (it's almost right on the beach and open-air so you feel the ocean breezes) and they have great cocktails with umbrellas and the other tourist kitsch. ...

So did we. The view is gorgeous, but it's definitely overpriced for what you get for your $$! If nothing else, go down the path and take photos of their beach. DH did ... the photo he took is now hanging on our wall!

If you're going to eat anywhere on a beach, go to Pacific'o in Lahaina town instead. The food's better, service friendlier and view just as spectacular. Also, there's more of a shot at getting an outdoor table than at Mama's!!! Their website is: http://www.pacificomaui.com/

Also near Lahaina is Aloha Mixed Plate, which is kind of a hole-in-the-wall. The food is great, I highly recommend the mai tais and they're also on the beach. Service is super-friendly, although it's fairly slow compared to the mainland. (FWIW, they make chicken called "shoyu chicken" which I love. And I absolutely DESPISE chicken, yet I love this dish.) Their website is: http://www.alohamixedplate.com/http://www.alohamixedplate.com/

Right next door to Aloha Mixed Plate is the Old Lahaina Luau, which is billed as the most authentic luau on Maui. If you wish to attend, DEFINITELY make reservations ahead of your departure. When we go back, we'll definitely do that!! (As it was, we did the 'Drums of the Pacific' luau at our hotel - the Hyatt Regency Ka'anipali.)

Also highly recommended is the Maui Swap Meet every Saturday from 7am to 12 noon. We picked up souvenirs for our nieces & nephew, my sister and brothers and a couple of friends, as well as for ourselves, for less than $100. Get there early, though, because the best stuff sells out fast!!! (Info: http://gohawaii.about.com/od/maui/ss/maui_swap_meet.htm)

las710
02-28-2010, 10:49 PM
We had some wonderful meals in Maui! We too HIGHLY recommend David Paul's Lahaina Grill... one of the best meals we have ever had. And if you tell them it is your anniversary (or birthday, or other noteworthy celebration) they bring you a wonderful dessert platter. Pacific O's was great too -- just be sure to ask for a sunset reservation on the beach. We also had a wonderful breakfast at the Plantation House... amazing crab cake benedict and very reasonably priced by Maui standards. We too did Mama's Fishouse and thought it was good, but definitely very expensive. We went for lunch and it was cool to see all the surfers outside. We did the Old Lahaina Luau and that was cool, though the food was just okay. I am sure they'll have something like that planned for the group.

We also saw a great show in Maui... Warren and Annabelle's Magic Show. You can save money by skipping the cocktail hour before -- it is kind of lame with Annabelle the Ghost playing the piano. But the magic show was awesome.

Lastly, we did a helicopter tour which was absolutely amazing. I can't remember the name of the company, but we went into downtown Lahaina and booked via the Expedia desk in the center of town at a discount.

Here are links to the different Websites:
www.lahainagrill.com -- would definitely need advance reservations here
www.pacificomaui.com
www.theplantationhouse.com
www.warrenandannabelles.com

Have a GREAT trip!
Lisa

bubbaray
02-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Also near Lahaina is Aloha Mixed Plate, which is kind of a hole-in-the-wall. The food is great, I highly recommend the mai tais and they're also on the beach.

We also really liked the Aloha Mixed Plate.

clc053103
03-01-2010, 11:14 AM
i am making a huge list thanks to you all!!

PAfirsttimemom
03-01-2010, 01:03 PM
If you like music and are looking for an authentic Hawaiian experience, check out a Hawaiian slack key guitar concert. We had a nice dinner and went to a concert afterward when we were in Maui a few years ago.

http://www.slackkey.com/schedule.htm

If you have an adventurous spirit, definitely do the road to Hana (countless waterfalls and beautiful scenery), and if you're VERY adventurous, drive the entire way around the island (4WD recommended, though we were able to make it in our convertible. The roads can be quite challenging. And watch out for cows crossing. LOL.)

If you'll be there in early April, keep your eyes peeled for whales. It's the end of the humpback whale-watching season then. We were there at that time and were able to view whales spyhopping in the sea right from the deck of our beachfront condo. We also took a tour--I think it was out of Lahaina.
http://www.pacificwhale.org/

I second (or third) the recommendation for the Old Lahaina Luau. And we did have a lovely meal at Mama's Fish House on our last night in Maui. Agree with the others that it was pricey, though.

Enjoy. I would love to be there right now! Sick of cold and snow....

codex57
03-01-2010, 03:20 PM
For cheap eats, I also recommend Aloha Mixed Plate. It's not "hole in the wall" to me tho. Has beachfront seating, own parking, etc. Pretty big place. Down in Kihei area, near where OP is staying, there's also Da Kitchen. Da Kitchen has a 2nd location in Lahaina, but it either never was open, or when it was, it had no food. Didn't understand that one. Da Kitchen is a hole in the wall in a weird two story strip mall type place. Good food tho.

Loved Sensai's, but we ate at the one in West (northwest) Maui. Just missed the early bird special the first time. Made sure to get the early bird the 2nd. Didn't have reservations but I highly recommend it unless you can get in line at least 1/2 before they open.

Warren & Annabelle's was my favorite attraction on Maui. Yes, the Annabelle part sucked, but Warren was prolly the best comedy/magic I'd ever seen. Certainly much more entertaining to me than anything I'd seen in Vegas (including O and Ka, Siegfried & Roy, etc).

Zansu
03-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Sansei at Kapalua is now taking reservations for the early Happy Hour

ged
03-04-2010, 10:45 PM
for a different style of luau, you can consider the Feast at Lele, also in Lahaina. It is more intimate and you are assigned individual tables. It is not a buffet. Probably more expensive than the rest, but my DH and I really enjoyed it. We reserved as soon as we could and got a great front row table.

Zansu
03-05-2010, 12:13 AM
For the PP going to Lahaina:

Whale Watch with Ultimate Whale Watch www.ultimatewhalewatch.com We went out with them last week and it was one of the best WW trips I've ever done.

David Paul sold the original restaurant several years ago, but has just opened a new restaurant, called David Paul's Island Grill. It's over by Hard Rock/Ruth's Chris/Cold Stone.

clc053103
03-24-2010, 07:25 PM
We got our hotel assignment- Grand Wailea here we come!! Thanks all for the tips and suggestions, we have a few days before the group trip and then a few days after, so we should be able to coordinate some fun sightseeing and dining on our own.

WatchingThemGrow
03-24-2010, 10:20 PM
so jealous! Have fun!!!