PDA

View Full Version : do you like facial hair?

salsah
02-24-2010, 06:13 PM
seems like a trend lately so i'm just curious. do you like it? does your dh have a beard / mustache / goatee? or if you are a guy, do you have one and does your dw like it?

gatorsmom
02-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I hate to kiss it (ouch!) and I really don't like to see it. I'll be happy when clean cut is trendy again since DH has been interested lately in trying to see if he can grow something. :rolleye0014:

crl
02-24-2010, 06:27 PM
No.

Catherine

Jacksmommy2b
02-24-2010, 06:28 PM
No, no, no OMG no!
...and DH randomly decides to grow a goatee b/c he likes the way it looks.

First, he looks rediculous. Some guys can pull it off - my blue eyed, dirty blonde DH that grows red facial hair just isn't one of them.

and second, my dad had a moustache through my childhood. (as did all uncles and my grandpa.) I don't need that association, thanks. Blech.

I just harass him until he gets rid of it.

SnuggleBuggles
Dh has always had facial hair except for 2 brief stints. I like him better with. In general, I don't have a strong opinion either way but I'd lean towards clean shaven most of the time. It depends on the guy and the hair though- some look better than others.

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
I thought you meant on me! No. I just waxed it :)

On DH, NO. He looked like a lumberjack in all DS2's 0-4m pictures.

Kymberley
02-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Yes! He's super hot when his goatee looks good.

alien_host
02-24-2010, 06:32 PM
My first reaction to facial hair always has been "don't like it". Of course then I met DH and he had a moustache (and I guess a goatee a few years before). He did shave it maybe 3-4 years ago, I can't remember. I have to say I prefer him sans facial hair.

DD was looking at our wedding pictures and was mocking DH with his moustache. She thought it was hilarious. :)

Ceepa
02-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Depends on the man. Some can't pull it off, DH definitely can. He changes it up: clean shaven, facial hair.

cvanbrunt
02-24-2010, 06:37 PM
I feel freakishly strongly about some kinds of facial hair. Don't mind a full beard and moustache (nicely trimmed) on a bald man. I am absolutely grossed out the soul patch. Looks like pubic hair to me. Some goatees fall into that category as well. Weird, I know.

AnnieW625
02-24-2010, 06:39 PM
No I don't like it unless it's Tom Selleck's moustache.

DH tried to grow a goatee once and it looked horrible.

Soul patches gross me out too. So glad I am not the only one.

hellokitty
02-24-2010, 06:47 PM
No, it's a huge turn off. I don't like the look or the feel. I too notice that it seems to be more trendy lately and I think it's a bad trend.

mamicka
02-24-2010, 06:55 PM
On DH, no. I don't think it looks that bad but it feels horrible because it's always accidental. Although, if it's longer (not long-long, just long enough to not be stubble) I don't mind how it feels & I think that on some men it looks quite attractive.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-24-2010, 07:10 PM
No, no, no OMG no!
...and DH randomly decides to grow a goatee b/c he likes the way it looks.

First, he looks rediculous. Some guys can pull it off - my blue eyed, dirty blonde DH that grows red facial hair just isn't one of them.

and second, my dad had a moustache through my childhood. (as did all uncles and my grandpa.) I don't need that association, thanks. Blech.

I just harass him until he gets rid of it.

:yeahthat:
Except my DH shaves his head since he is half bald and he looks like the guy from the game Guess Who....My dad had a rockin Magnum PI stash....Magnum PI is the only one that should be allowed to have a mustache like that....I refuse to kiss DH, as it leaves a rash/burn on my face (unless we are doing other adult things :wink2:).

arivecchi
02-24-2010, 07:11 PM
No. It's gross IMO.

sunshine873
02-24-2010, 07:43 PM
OMG when DH grows a mustache he ends up looking like Tom Selleck in Magnum PI. It was fine for Tom Selleck in the 70's, but on DH it is wrong. So very wrong. On work days or for events he shaves, but hanging around the house on weekends he often gets scruffy. That I kind of like, because it means he's at ease & relaxed.

wendibird22
02-24-2010, 07:50 PM
I am absolutely grossed out the soul patch. Looks like pubic hair to me. Some goatees fall into that category as well. Weird, I know.
Yup. I had a coworker with a soul patch that was at least 2-3 inches long. So so so so gross.

DH talks about growing some facial hair. I always threaten to go on strike if he does.

soontobe
02-24-2010, 07:53 PM
I guess I'm in the minority. I like DH in facial hair, but he says he has to be clean shaven for work:tongue5: I do love when he gets a little scruffy over the weekend

eta: I'm really only talking about beards (nicely shaven ones) other wise I'm not such a fan

crl
02-24-2010, 07:54 PM
I thought I was the ony one with a no kissing facial hair policy. DH has always known that's my rule. He did grow a beard while on a vacation to Mongolia/month off between jobs. And I did refuse to kiss him. I'd like to think that's why he shaved it off, but the truth is facial hair isn't very acceptable in his job and he thinks it feels weird.

Catherine

caleymama
02-24-2010, 08:13 PM
For most of the time I've known DH he's had a goatee, until the past few years. He can't have facial hair at work (well, he can have a mustache, but that is SO not him) so he's clean shaven unless he has more than a few days off. I love him scruffy and I don't mind his goatee (when he has had one) at all. I also don't mind - actually, I like - a few days of growth. He hates to shave (sensitive skin on his face) so he puts it off until he has to. In my mind that's more than a fair trade for not minding my in-need-of-a-shave legs ;).

TwinFoxes
02-24-2010, 08:20 PM
I hadn't noticed facial hair making a big comeback. I liked the goatee trend in the 90s, but I see no reason for them to come back! I hate stand alone moustaches. I guess some super short beards are attractive on the right guy. Soul patches don't especially bother me unless they are long.

What about sideburns, what do people think about them? I think hipster wannabe when I see them.

pinkmomagain
02-24-2010, 08:26 PM
I am very attracted to beards. Really, you can slap a beard on almost any guy, and suddenly they look pretty good to me. Not long scraggly ones. Not those little strips on the chin either. A full beard or goatee. My dh wears a goatee for me.

g-mama
02-24-2010, 08:36 PM
No, I don't like it.

I do like when my baby-faced dh has several days of growth like when we're on vacation, but no more than that. Definitely not a full beard, nor a moustache, or a goatee. Yuck.

vludmilla
02-24-2010, 09:27 PM
I really hate moustaches and huge beards. DH grows a goateen sometimes that is super flattering to him and that I like. I do not, however, like a goatee on all guys, just DH :)

egoldber
02-24-2010, 10:05 PM
DH has a full beard. I prefer it on him because he has so much facial hair and it grows so quickly that when he does not have the beard, it's really scratchy. He can't stay "clean shaven" longer than about 5 minutes. So I prefer him with a beard.

ShanaMama
02-24-2010, 10:09 PM
DH has a trimmed beard. He is a large guy & his face just looks so much better with it. I've never known him without it, but have seen pics & I agree that it does a lot for him (aka hides the double chin)! IMO it looks distinguished, but it is kinda scratchy.... IYKWIM.

salsah
02-25-2010, 02:37 AM
wow, i'm glad to see that i am not the only one who feels so strongly against it. i HATE it. hate the way it looks and can't imagine kissing! dh knows how strongly i feel about it that he will not even consider it. dh had a beard at some point before we met. luckily for me, one day while visiting his parents, his mom chased him around the house with a razor threatening to shave it off in his sleep if he didn't shave it himself.

Globetrotter
02-25-2010, 04:33 AM
UM

McDreamy and McSteamy!

IRL, some guys look really good with it but I usually prefer clean shaven.

I'm just curious... why would it be inappropriate in some jobs?

MoJo
02-25-2010, 07:39 AM
I prefer clean-shaven, but DH alternates between that, goatee, and neatly trimmed full beard.

At least I convinced him while dating that stand-alone mustache was NOT a good look; he hasn't tried that one since.

I don't like the prickliness. However, he does look good in his beard, and he thinks he gets more respect from the high school students he teaches when he has facial hair.

He's very self conscious about his "fivehead" (which he had before he started losing his hair) and the facial hair draws attention away from that.

lmwbasye
02-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Nope. But I am SO not used to it since I hardly ever see it since we're military.

carolinamama
02-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Not one bit. Just not attractive to me and I can't stand the feel of it either. Needless to say, DH doesn't have facial hair!

lchang25000
02-25-2010, 09:20 AM
UM

McDreamy and McSteamy!

IRL, some guys look really good with it but I usually prefer clean shaven.

:yeahthat: A little scruffiness is ok depending on the guy.

MelissaTC
02-25-2010, 09:26 AM
He can't stay "clean shaven" longer than about 5 minutes.

I am LOLing because this is DH. Poor thing shaves and the hair is back almost immediately. He grew a goatee of sorts when I was preggo with M (he said he was doing the playoffs thing like the hockey players) and shaved it off a few weeks after M was born.

In general I think the facial hair thing is sort of dependent on the man. Some look great in it, others not so much. My DH has a baby face and does not like growing the hair. My father has a mustache and I have never seen him without it. Sometimes he has a beard or goatee combo. I think I would freak if he shaved it off. My grandfather did that a few years ago and I think I am still scarred.

boolady
02-25-2010, 11:54 AM
DH has had a well-trimmed goatee the entire time we've been together (over 10 years now). I like it, and he really does keep it neat and short. Someone I come into contact with work grew one and doesn't seem to have a trimmer and the hairs on the chin part are like 1 1/2 inches long and that grosses me out, but DH's is never like that. I did know DH pre-goatee (we were not yet dating) and I think he looks better with it...it gives him a stronger chinline.

BillK
02-25-2010, 12:02 PM
I think I'll grow a Brad Pitt beard....

bubbaray
02-25-2010, 12:16 PM
No, I don't. Ick.

trales
02-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Not my thing. DH had a thick beard when we met, he looks a lot better now.

lizzywednesday
02-25-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't like it on my DH, but there are some men who look good with it.

Tom Selleck, for example, in his Magnum, PI days or Alex Trebek were two men whose mustaches made their look interesting.

Bruce Springsteen's "soul patch," OTOH, is just wrong on multiple levels.

BillK
02-25-2010, 12:27 PM
2005 with beard:
http://btz.smugmug.com/Holidays/Christmas-2005/DSC2491/49790696_MwAub-S.jpg

2009 without beard:
http://btz.smugmug.com/Other/PNC-Park-Tour-62709/DSC01700/575982310_ufz7z-S-1.jpg

Should I grow another one?

bubbaray
02-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Well, your wife should get the only vote on that, LOL.

I vote no beard. I just really hate facial hair, though.

BillK
02-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Well, your wife should get the only vote on that, LOL.

I vote no beard. I just really hate facial hair, though.

She claims she doesn't care one way or the other. :)

Piglet
02-25-2010, 12:32 PM
DH grew a beard about 6 months ago. I don't mind, though I prefer him clean shaven. For him though, he LOVES not having to shave in the morning and I totally get where he is coming from. I always wished my hair was wash and go, so this is his equivalent.

bubbaray
02-25-2010, 12:32 PM
*I* think you look younger and your face looks slimmer without hair.

I totally admit that have a very strong aversion to facial hair though.

arivecchi
02-25-2010, 12:33 PM

Ceepa
02-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Bill, when Dh went back to work after Christmas vacation sporting a full beard the first thing his boss said to him, "I could get you a Bic if you need one." LOL Then he added, "Well, there really is only one person's opinion who matters." He meant mine.

If your wife doesn't care either way then I'd just go with whatever you feel like doing.

BillK
02-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Yea - I hate shaving - but I also hate how a beard feels coming in - plus even after it's "in" there's still a fair amount of upkeep with it to keep it looking non-Brad Pitt-like. I'll probably just keep it off.

elephantmeg
02-25-2010, 12:40 PM
nope, DH tried it at one point and I told him to take it off!

egoldber
02-25-2010, 12:44 PM
I agree that you look significantly younger when clean shaven. Which may or may not appeal to you. :)

If you are going to grow and keep a beard, I recommend (or rather DH says) you need to invest in a heavy duty beard trimmer. Otherwise you get the lumberjack look. ;) He also has his barber trim his beard whenever he gets a haircut. This makes for less upkeep for him in between since he gets a haircut every 4 weeks. He trims his beard with the trimmer about every 1-2 weeks. I actually prefer it when he trims every 2 weeks vs every week.

tarahsolazy
02-25-2010, 12:55 PM
I like beards, at least on my DH. He's got red hair and a full red beard, typically kept trimmed pretty short. When he's going winter camping or dogsledding, he lets it get longer. I actually like it a little bushy, but trimmed short is fine, too. He trims it himself with a heavy duty clippers, just like the barber uses, like Beth's DH. He was clean shaven when we met 20 years ago, grew a goatee in 1997, and a full beard in 2002 or 2003.

I don't like a soulpatch, though, and I think stand alone mustaches look dated, somehow?

Bill - I like you with the beard, lol!

calv
02-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I personally don't like but it does look great on some guys. I think for the most part, hair just ages a man

egoldber
02-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I do also prefer the beard. I think it makes you look more mature and distinguished. But I'ver always gone more for the college professor look than the sporty look. ;)

tarahsolazy
02-25-2010, 01:20 PM
I do also prefer the beard. I think it makes you look more mature and distinguished. But I'ver always gone more for the college professor look than the sporty look. ;)

Me too, professor or outdoorsy guy...

SkyrMommy
02-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Me too, professor or outdoorsy guy...

DH's beard is super handsome... I wonder if he could be considered a professorial outdoorsman :love5:

khalloc
02-25-2010, 02:02 PM
I like good 5 o'clock shadow. Dont think I could deal with a stache or beard, but I like the look of gottees on some men. But never dated anyone who had one.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Yea - I hate shaving - but I also hate how a beard feels coming in - plus even after it's "in" there's still a fair amount of upkeep with it to keep it looking non-Brad Pitt-like. I'll probably just keep it off.

I'm not sure if you should grow it back or not... DH grows a goatee/stash because he gets tired of the razor burn/acne/irritation. So I can see both sides. Which one is more convenient? My DH doesn't really have upkeep, as he can't grow a full beard...

salsah
02-25-2010, 06:13 PM

Jo..
02-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Yuck no.

It makes me gag.