PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy At SeaWorld Orlando

Tinkerbell313
02-24-2010, 07:41 PM
This just bothers me on so many levels...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35566392?GT1=43001

My heart goes out to the trainer and her family. Also, being an animal lover, I feel bad for the whale. I am also horrified for the spectators who witnessed the horrible incident.

MMEand1
02-24-2010, 07:57 PM
I saw this earlier. SeaWorld is in our backyard (not the Orlando SW). I am always worried that something like this will happen when we go and my kids will witness it. So sad for all involved.

blisstwins
02-24-2010, 08:40 PM
I really hate Seaworld and think their shows are inhumane. This just confirms my sense that holding these animals is wrong.

bluestarfish18
02-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Former longtime SW employee here. It kills me whenever this happens. For those of us who work(ed) there, we're constantly pulled between 2 strong cords: the one that binds us to the animals we love, drawing us to work closer to them, resulting in a huge defense in all things SW does. The other cord, is the one that knows what's right and where these animals belong. I know that most of the larger mammals are born within marine parks, but there are still quite a few older ones who were captured, including Tilikum, the killer whale involved in the Florida death. There's no doubt in my mind that these whales remember their former lives in the wild, and it always pains me to look into their eyes and know they're suffering.

As a former trainer myself, watching a single movie changed the way I think about marine parks. If you watch any movie this year, please watch "The Cove". It shows a side of water parks that we all knew, but shuffle into the dark corner.

Melbel
02-24-2010, 09:20 PM
During our recent trip to SeaWorld and Discovery Cove, DS was truly inspired and has taken a keen interest in marine biology. What a tragic accident. I took this picture of the trainer in January.

bluestarfish18
02-25-2010, 07:10 AM
During our recent trip to SeaWorld and Discovery Cove, DS was truly inspired and has taken a keen interest in marine biology. What a tragic accident. I took this picture of the trainer in January.

That's Tilikum, the whale which attacked yesterday.

Melbel
02-25-2010, 07:46 AM
That's Tilikum, the whale which attacked yesterday.

I was wondering if it was Tilikum. What are the distinguishing features?

I thought you made some great points above. I am also torn because I loved how the experience inspired my son to really want to learn. He used a large portion of his birthday money to purchase books about whales and dolphins and cannot put them down.

There definitely appear to be two very different explanations as to what happened. I imagine that it is just a matter of time before pictures/video surface. :(

maestramommy
02-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Oh wow. That is so tragic. Prayers go out to the family of this woman.

maestramommy
02-25-2010, 08:39 AM
As a former trainer myself, watching a single movie changed the way I think about marine parks. If you watch any movie this year, please watch "The Cove". It shows a side of water parks that we all knew, but shuffle into the dark corner.

I thought "The Cove" was about Dolphins and Japanese fisherman. Is there coverage of other issues? I'm been torn about watching it. The review I read implied it's NOT for the faint of heart.

bluestarfish18
02-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Tilikum is the largest killer whale in a zoological setting, so just by looking at his size vs the trainer, I can definately tell it's him. Also his dorsal is folded over on the correct side.

The Cove is defiantely NOT for the faint at heart. Honestly, I cried during the entire film. The DVD was sitting on my counter for over a month, I really wanted to watch it, but I also knew it would break my heart. The film discusses not only the slaughter in Taiji, but talks about the history of whales and dolphins in captivity. You really begin to identify with the people involved. I did so much that I'm seriously considering never going back to SW again.

maestramommy
02-25-2010, 08:52 AM
The Cove is defiantely NOT for the faint at heart. Honestly, I cried during the entire film. The DVD was sitting on my counter for over a month, I really wanted to watch it, but I also knew it would break my heart. The film discusses not only the slaughter in Taiji, but talks about the history of whales and dolphins in captivity. You really begin to identify with the people involved. I did so much that I'm seriously considering never going back to SW again.

You mean, you begin to identify with the fisherman? Just curious, what did you do at SW?

I've only been to SW a couple of times. It's always inspiring. Not just the shows, but seeing the other animals. I know it must suck for them though, being confined in such a small space relative to open sea.

egoldber
02-25-2010, 08:53 AM
I heard an interview on NPR with the direcor of The Cove. I couldn't even finish listening to the interview. :(

They do talk about how dolphins are captured for shows as part of the movie.

I think in the past Seaworld did obtain some dolphins in this way, but they don't any longer. The makers of The Cove pretty much condemn them by association. It definitely made me think differently about Seaworld. Even if their dolphins are not obtained that way, is it right to train animals like this for our amusement? But on the other hand, the money Seaworld raises goes toward the rescue and rehabilitation of many marine animals.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/orl-story-the-cove-condemns-marine-parks,0,1580232.story

But it is pretty common for many animal theme parks around the world and places that have "swim with the dolphin" type programs to obtain their dolphins in this way. :(

DietCokeLover
02-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Absolutely horrifying. I am so sorry for the family of this woman.

maestramommy
02-25-2010, 09:00 AM
I think in the past Seaworld did obtain some dolphins in this way, but they don't any longer. The makers of The Cove pretty much condemn them by association. It definitely made me think differently about Seaworld. Even if their dolphins are not obtained that way, is it right to train animals like this for our amusement? But on the other hand, the money Seaworld raises goes toward the rescue and rehabilitation of many marine animals.

Does it sometimes seem as though everything in this world, even that which is beneficient, has an unpleasant underbelly somewhere? :nodno:

bluestarfish18
02-25-2010, 09:11 AM
I identified with the creators of the film. I have no sympathy for the people involved with harvesting and killing the dolphins and pilot whales. When you watch the film, you learn about the levels of mercury in the dolphin meat, which is then fed to the fishermen's children at school. So in effect, the entire town of Taiji is coated in mercury poisoning. It's sick what's they're doing over there, and yes, it's still going on.

In 1972, the Marine Mammal Protection act prohibited anyone from harassing or coming within a certain distance of marine mammals. This is also around the time when American marine parks stopped capturing. Most of the younger (20 or younger) cetaceans were born within the parks or rescused from life-threatening injuries, while the older ones are leftover from being captured in Northern Europe or Asia. But here's the kicker: some of the younger dolphins come from other parks around the world then those parks shut down. And a lot of those dolphins come from illegal captures.

Now, SW does do a ton of benefit for the marine mammal community. The animal care facility cares for more birds, cetaceans and pinnipeds than I could ever count, 99% of them being re-released back into the wild. These animals do teach us a great deal about their migratory patterns, general biology and disease control. SeaWorld-Hubbs Research Facility is constantly churning out new information on marine ecosystems, which benefit all marine systems around the world. There are thousands of kids every year who have the opportunity to learn about sealife through free school programs and field trips.

As for me, I worked for a while in the Education department, before transferring to the Training department, working with the whales.

lchang25000
02-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Absolutely horrifying. I am so sorry for the family of this woman.

:yeahthat: I doubt I could ever go to SeaWorld again without that image in my head.

twinmom2bg
02-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Wow that is so sad!! Her family will be in my prayers!

Reyadawnbringer
02-25-2010, 11:07 AM
I thought "The Cove" was about Dolphins and Japanese fisherman. Is there coverage of other issues? I'm been torn about watching it. The review I read implied it's NOT for the faint of heart.

I saw this movie and it was tough to watch. It is absolutely horrifying what these fisherman do and the government lets them get away with it (protects them even). When I was watching the movie the thing that struck me the most was the level of ignorance that everyone there has about what is going on. When locals were shown video of the slaughters they were horrified too. They could not believe that was happening (and allowed to happen) in their own country. Also, I noticed the great danger the film makers were in for even making the movie and asking questions. I applaud them for their work.

You mean, you begin to identify with the fisherman? Just curious, what did you do at SW?

I've only been to SW a couple of times. It's always inspiring. Not just the shows, but seeing the other animals. I know it must suck for them though, being confined in such a small space relative to open sea.

This is where it's tough. Yes, people go to the shows and find them insipring. Some even walk away with a new career path in mind. Seaworld touts all the help they give and resources to marine life, but at the end of the day Seaworl is STILL a business. Their primary goal is still to turn a profit like any other business. It's just harder for anyone to lampoon them for holding animals captive for entertainment when they pool resources into rescue efforts. People end up saying, "Yea, its sucks that some of the animals are held captive, but look at all the good Seaworld does...."

FWIW, I do believe that the trainers have good intentions, but I also think its selfish to advocate (even passively) keeping animals in captivity because you feel a bond with them. Thats another thing that "The Cove" pointed out in the movie... the whole project was basically headed by Richard O'Barry who was a dolphin trainer and helped capture and train the 5 dolphins that played Flipper. After the main Flipper dolphin died in his arms he had an epiphany and realized that the industry was wrong. He then devoted himself to raising awareness of the horrific practices of the industry.

ETA: I DO feel bad for the trainer and her family though. I pray for the whole family that they find peace and strength in this horrible time.

sste
02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
I think our acquarium gets many (I hope most though that may be optimstic) of their marine animals from injured animals found in nets, in the wild etc. and from animals born in captitivity. They are a non-profit with a full research wing, political advocacy staffers, etc. So, I am OK enough with that but not with the amusement park.

What really burns me though is these parents that drag their little darlings out to those swim with dolphin enclosures. These are unregulated and inhumane. They are also dangerous for both dolphins and humans. We had a relative whose daughter wanted to do this and I as diplomatically as possible explained to her the way the dolphins are caught and treated, the poor standards for care, the health and safety issues . . . and I will never forget she looked at me with this stupid moon face and said, "But Kimberly really wants to do it." And she took her.

GaPeach_in_Ca
02-25-2010, 01:14 PM
What really burns me though is these parents that drag their little darlings out to those swim with dolphin enclosures. These are unregulated and inhumane. They are also dangerous for both dolphins and humans. We had a relative whose daughter wanted to do this and I as diplomatically as possible explained to her the way the dolphins are caught and treated, the poor standards for care, the health and safety issues . . . and I will never forget she looked at me with this stupid moon face and said, "But Kimberly really wants to do it." And she took her.

Well, count me in that group. We did a dolphin encounter, myself, my mom and my 2 kids (1 & 4 at the time) last summer in Mexico. It was really amazing. I felt like they must treat the dolphins well because that is how they make their money. Maybe I was off base with that. Off to research...

sariana
02-25-2010, 01:44 PM
I can see both sides of this issue, but then I have to wonder: Where do we draw the line? Wouldn't ALL animals rather live in the wild? Or not?

"The wild" is a dangerous place, and not necessarily a happy one. Is it so bad to be cared for and fed and to get to be an actor? I just don't know. I realize it is all about choice, and that the animals don't have any. But "choice" sometimes isn't all it's cracked up to be, either. Some people make very bad ones.

Was it wrong for the ancients to domesticate dogs and cats? Can marine animals ever be considered "domesticated"? What is the difference between a dog and a dolphin? A pot-bellied pig? A tiger?

Regardless, this situation is very sad for the family and friends of the trainer, for the patrons who witnessed it, for the animal, and for the company.

egoldber
02-25-2010, 01:59 PM
I felt like they must treat the dolphins well because that is how they make their money. Maybe I was off base with that. Off to research...

The problem isn't necessarily with how the dolphins are treated at the enclosure, it's the way thay these dolphins are often obtained from the wild. It is NOT pretty. :(

GaPeach_in_Ca
02-25-2010, 02:20 PM
The problem isn't necessarily with how the dolphins are treated at the enclosure, it's the way thay these dolphins are often obtained from the wild. It is NOT pretty. :(

I did not consider that at the time. I should watch the movie.

sste
02-25-2010, 02:27 PM
GaPeach - - there is a big difference between people who don't know about the issues with dolphin capture/treatment in the swim pens and those who like my relative are clearly informed by yours truly and still tromp off there without even a moment's pause for the well-being of any living being other than their child!!

Also, fwiw I have a friend who is a leading animal behaviorist at a university with a very strong animal program - - he has told me that the concensus in the research/training community is that this is unsafe for humans. Dolphins are gentle, friendly animals. But they are not meant to be enclosed like that with people swimming around that, young kids, etc. They are not domesticated animals. I believe there have been minor incidents and his feeling was that its only a matter of time before there is a serious accident.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I really hate Seaworld and think their shows are inhumane. This just confirms my sense that holding these animals is wrong.

:yeahthat: It's like Ringling Brothers and the circus. Animal are not for our entertainment.

Reyadawnbringer
02-25-2010, 02:46 PM
:yeahthat: It's like Ringling Brothers and the circus. Animal are not for our entertainment.

You and I are on the same wavelength. I was just thinking about Roy from Sigfried and Roy that got mauled by their tiger.

Animals are NOT for entertainment and certainly should NOT be made to turn tricks for a profit.

BabyMine
02-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Lauren,

What will they do with Tilikum? I know he was involved with 2 other orcas in a killing in 1991 and another in 1999. The one in 1999 I don't blame him, only the stupid person who snuck in after hours. I don't understand with his past and the precautions the trainers had to take with him why he is still there.

bluestarfish18
02-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Lauren,

What will they do with Tilikum? I know he was involved with 2 other orcas in a killing in 1991 and another in 1999. The one in 1999 I don't blame him, only the stupid person who snuck in after hours. I don't understand with his past and the precautions the trainers had to take with him why he is still there.

The incident in 1999 was rediculous. The guy was off his meds, stripped down and actually died of hypothermia (the pools are a nice and toasty degrees). Then of course, the victim's family sued.

Most likely, Tily will be isolated from trainers and vets for a while. He'll be with the other whales he gets along with, just not people. If all went according to AB (Anheiser Busch owns SW, AB is now owned by InBev), Tily would be back in shows in a few weeks, probably not during any segments with trainers in the water. But I can easily see this snowballing into legal action. Dawn's family knew the risks, but I'm sure there are plenty of activists who will use this incident as a way to release Tily. Now, realisticaly (SP?), Tily has been in captivity for most of his life, and his chances of surving marine diseases without his usual meds or even hunting on his own is pretty darn slim, letting alone finding a pod that would accept him. In my own opinion, AB & any legal actions will most likely compromise and keep Tily out of human in-pool interaction for the rest of his life.

Ceepa
02-25-2010, 03:22 PM

Yes. Yes. Yes. I loathe the circus.

sariana
02-25-2010, 03:38 PM
I thought Anheiser Busch sold the SeaWorld division a couple of months ago. I remember reading it and thinking that was probably the end of the Salute to Heroes free military admission they have been doing for the last several years. Has the sale not actually gone through yet? (I did see that Salute to Heroes is still in place.)

infomama
02-25-2010, 04:20 PM
Yes. Yes. Yes. I loathe the circus.
:yeahthat:

BabyMine
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
The incident in 1999 was rediculous. The guy was off his meds, stripped down and actually died of hypothermia (the pools are a nice and toasty degrees). Then of course, the victim's family sued.

Most likely, Tily will be isolated from trainers and vets for a while. He'll be with the other whales he gets along with, just not people. If all went according to AB (Anheiser Busch owns SW, AB is now owned by InBev), Tily would be back in shows in a few weeks, probably not during any segments with trainers in the water. But I can easily see this snowballing into legal action. Dawn's family knew the risks, but I'm sure there are plenty of activists who will use this incident as a way to release Tily. Now, realisticaly (SP?), Tily has been in captivity for most of his life, and his chances of surving marine diseases without his usual meds or even hunting on his own is pretty darn slim, letting alone finding a pod that would accept him. In my own opinion, AB & any legal actions will most likely compromise and keep Tily out of human in-pool interaction for the rest of his life.

I believe SeaWorld was sold. I know Busch Gardens was. InBev didn't want them and only wanted the beer. I can't believe the victim's family sued. Of course now a days everyone sues. That's so sad about his isolation. Will he be able to interact with other orcas? The whole thing is so tragic.

codex57
02-25-2010, 04:41 PM
The family withdrew the lawsuit later, I believe. I'm guessing after the autopsy came out.

deborah_r
02-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Lauren, Can you clarify something? Earlier in the thread someone posted a picture of a female trainer standing on the tip of the whale, and you said that was the whale in question, Tilikum. The latest news story I read (that tells about the whale supposedly grabbing her by the ponytail) says that no trainers get in the water with Tilikum for training or shows (as I read it). So now I'm confused. Thanks!

infomama
02-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Honestly...shame on the people that go out an capture these SW (and the like) bound animals. Just makes me so sick.

bluestarfish18
02-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Lauren, Can you clarify something? Earlier in the thread someone posted a picture of a female trainer standing on the tip of the whale, and you said that was the whale in question, Tilikum. The latest news story I read (that tells about the whale supposedly grabbing her by the ponytail) says that no trainers get in the water with Tilikum for training or shows (as I read it). So now I'm confused. Thanks!

From what I can tell, that is Tilikum. There are some older females who are almost as large as he, and of course, I could be wrong. Now, I never worked at the Orlando Park, just San Diego. I'll have to contact my former co-workers for more clarification.

deborah_r
02-25-2010, 05:19 PM
For reference, this is what I read, on CNN.com:

"Because of Tillikum's history, as well as his size, trainers did not get into the water with him, Tompkins told CNN. Specific procedures were in place for working with him, he said, although "obviously, we need to evaluate those protocols."

"He's just a really, really large animal," Tompkins said, noting that female killer whales weigh 6,000 pounds -- half of Tillikum's weight. "Just because of his size alone, it would be dangerous to get in the water with him." But the whale's previous incidents were also taken into account, he said."

It says Tompkins is SeaWorld's curator of zoological operations.

I was trying to remember of the times I've seen the shows if there were any parts where the whales were in the water and the trainers did not go in at all. But I've only been to San Diego. (Well, I was at the Orlando one when I was 8 or 9 years old)

Melbel
02-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Honestly...shame on the people that go out an capture these SW (and the like) bound animals. Just makes me so sick.

As mentioned above by Lauren, US law has prohibited the capture of whales/dolphins since 1972. As for the rescued animals, the vast vast majority of the animals are rehabilitated and set free. IMHO, SW does some great things that are often overlooked, including rescuing and rehabilitating countless marine animals that would have otherwise suffered and died.

Without question, Dawn Brancheau was aware of the risks, as well as the benefits, of working with live animals. Despite the obvious, foreseeable risk that she could be injured or killed by killer whale, she clearly loved what she did.

While zoo and aquarium settings are not always ideal, they provide a hands on experience for countless people and children. As mentioned by a PP, there is a slippery slope here - if all wild animals were meant the be free, all zoos would close and we would miss out on opportunities to educate and inspire people, especially children. Our 10 year old son was truly inspired by our visit. While I can see the down side of animals in captivity, my son would not have been inspired by a book or DVD. This education/inspiration often benefits the species as a whole through ramped up conservation efforts and research that ultimately helps the animals. Not to mention, the wild is not always a happy place. Overall, it is not as clear cut of an issue to me to simply say free Willy (or Tilly in this case, not to mention Willy did not survive the wild but I digress).

Melbel
02-25-2010, 05:29 PM
For reference, this is what I read, on CNN.com:

"Because of Tillikum's history, as well as his size, trainers did not get into the water with him, Tompkins told CNN. Specific procedures were in place for working with him, he said, although "obviously, we need to evaluate those protocols."

"He's just a really, really large animal," Tompkins said, noting that female killer whales weigh 6,000 pounds -- half of Tillikum's weight. "Just because of his size alone, it would be dangerous to get in the water with him." But the whale's previous incidents were also taken into account, he said."

It says Tompkins is SeaWorld's curator of zoological operations.

I was trying to remember of the times I've seen the shows if there were any parts where the whales were in the water and the trainers did not go in at all. But I've only been to San Diego. (Well, I was at the Orlando one when I was 8 or 9 years old)

Interesting. The LA Time story stated:

Brancheau, 40, on Wednesday was "interacting with the attraction's largest male whale in knee deep water when the animal grabbed her by the hair, said to be in a long pony tail, and pulled her underwater,'' the Orange County Sheriff's Office said a statement.

According to this version, she was in the water with him.

MamaMolly
02-25-2010, 06:17 PM
While zoo and aquarium settings are not always ideal, they provide a hands on experience for countless people and children. As mentioned by a PP, there is a slippery slope here - if all wild animals were meant the be free, all zoos would close and we would miss out on opportunities to educate and inspire people, especially children. Our 10 year old son was truly inspired by our visit. While I can see the down side of animals in captivity, my son would not have been inspired by a book or DVD. This education/inspiration often benefits the species as a whole through ramped up conservation efforts and research that ultimately helps the animals. Not to mention, the wild is not always a happy place..

I'm glad you brought up Zoos. I used to work at Zoo Atlanta, in the education department. One of the biggest differences I can see between ZA and a place like Sea World is that at many modern zoos the animals do not have to perform. Though we did have a 'petting zoo' area with goats and sheep, and groups could request (and pay for) an 'animal encounter' with a small mammal, reptile or large insect. But the major draws like the pandas, the elephants, gorillas, lions and tigers? They could hide behind a rock all day and it wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, in my perfect world a place like SW would have animals we could see but that didn't have to put on a show. I guess more like an aquarium.

And FWIW, I know that animals in modern zoos on average live longer than their wild counterparts. By modern zoos I mean those with good vet care, a steady diet of high quality food, no predators (even the 2 legged variety!) and a habitat that best mimics the animals natural environment (to the best of our abilities). I'd be interested to know what captivity does for/to a marine animal's life expectancy. I have no idea.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm glad you brought up Zoos. I used to work at Zoo Atlanta, in the education department. One of the biggest differences I can see between ZA and a place like Sea World is that at many modern zoos the animals do not have to perform. Though we did have a 'petting zoo' area with goats and sheep, and groups could request (and pay for) an 'animal encounter' with a small mammal, reptile or large insect. But the major draws like the pandas, the elephants, gorillas, lions and tigers? They could hide behind a rock all day and it wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, in my perfect world a place like SW would have animals we could see but that didn't have to put on a show. I guess more like an aquarium.

And FWIW, I know that animals in modern zoos on average live longer than their wild counterparts. By modern zoos I mean those with good vet care, a steady diet of high quality food, no predators (even the 2 legged variety!) and a habitat that best mimics the animals natural environment (to the best of our abilities). I'd be interested to know what captivity does for/to a marine animal's life expectancy. I have no idea.

Unfortunately we need zoo's etc. to take in animals bred in captivity, rescued, from peoples homes, etc. To me the difference is that no animals should be made to perform. I also believe humans have the same right and loathe Toddlers and Tiaras, as it is making kids perform. To me T&T the circus and SW are in the same category, forcing living beings to do things that do not come natural.

Jo..
02-25-2010, 06:50 PM
This bothers me because I have so many questions. Didn't anyone see this? Couldn't anyone have tried to help? I am so, so disturbed by this.

Reyadawnbringer
02-25-2010, 07:30 PM

Unfortunately we need zoo's etc. to take in animals bred in captivity, rescued, from peoples homes, etc. To me the difference is that no animals should be made to perform. I also believe humans have the same right and loathe Toddlers and Tiaras, as it is making kids perform. To me T&T the circus and SW are in the same category, forcing living beings to do things that do not come natural.

:yeahthat: exactly. Everything you just said right there.

Sillygirl
02-25-2010, 07:49 PM
This bothers me because I have so many questions. Didn't anyone see this? Couldn't anyone have tried to help? I am so, so disturbed by this.

It happened during a show, so yes, a lot of people (including kids) must have seen it. The whale weighs 12,000 pounds. I don't see any way they could have helped once the trainer was in the water. Even if you had a bazooka, you'd have killed the trainer too.

fivi2
02-25-2010, 08:00 PM

However, according to sea world (I think) the animals need the challenge of performing. They are intelligent creatures and would get bored swimming around in a tank with nothing to do. Kind of like people who buy a working dog and want it to be a house pet.

I am mostly just trying to argue the other side, I am not a big defender of zoos, sea world etc. But I think that the issue is not entirely clear cut.

cindys
02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Yeah, the circus....

We went to Ringling this past weekend in Atl..My Mom had gotten us tickets for my DS b-day...We were 3 rows from the floor and could see everything quite closely.

I am not a fan of the circus because it just saddens me to see these huge animals in little cages and poked and prodded.

Well, the tigers came out for their part of the show and one of the tigers would not come out and a handler started poking him...The tiger still would not move so several handlers started poking him and you could tell they were poking at him pretty hard...The poor thing just cowered in the cage and never would come out.

I wanted to cry, especially when DS asked why the people were hitting the tiger...All the people around us were talking about how disturbing it was to see that and to have their children see that.

I left vowing to never go to the circus again.

At the circus they give you a comment card so I sent them a long email about the incident, doubt I will hear from anyone but I feel better having sent it.

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...18, almost 4 & 16mos :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

egoldber
02-25-2010, 09:11 PM
It happened during a show, so yes, a lot of people (including kids) must have seen it.

I think they said it happened after the show was over while people were leaving the arena, but some were still hanging out and chatting with the trainers.

deborah_r
02-25-2010, 09:19 PM
There was a tourist home video posted that was supposed to be from right before it happened, and I think it was maybe that "Dine with Shamu" event?

Melbel
02-25-2010, 09:32 PM
I think they said it happened after the show was over while people were leaving the arena, but some were still hanging out and chatting with the trainers.

It was more of a behind the scenes gathering, Dine w/ Shamu, not one of the shows. Per the latest reports, SeaWorld trainer Dawn Brancheau was in the water up to her shoulders frolicking with a huge killer whale seconds before the orca playfully grabbed her ponytail and dragged her under, according to a tourist's video of the tragedy.

The six-minute video shot Wednesday shows Brancheau feeding and playing with the six-ton Tilikum, the largest and oldest killer whale in captivity. An edited version of the video posted online by WESH-TV in Orlando, Fla., ends moments before the trainer and whale's relaxed romp suddenly turns fatal.

Based upon what I have read, I do not believe my photo posted earlier was actually of Tilikum. From what I recall, the trainers were in the water with four smaller orcas, and then a very large one (what I now believe to be Tilikum) swam alone at the end.

"Trainers do interact with Tilikum from the sides of the pool, but do not enter the water with him," SeaWorld said. But the tourist video clearly shows a smiling Brancheau in the water with the giant whale.

It sounds possible that the trainer was not following the normal protocol for interactions with Tilikum.

SeaWorld plans to continue to care for Tilikum but will limit interaction.

http://www.wesh.com/video/22671481/index.html/index.html

egoldber
02-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Oh goodness, we did the Dine with Shamu thing once! But in San Diego, not Orlando.

BabyMine
02-25-2010, 10:19 PM
It's so sad to watch that video knowing those are her last moments. She is definately doing something she loved. I'll have to ask my SIL about this. She use to be a biologist over there and she still has friends that still work there.

bluestarfish18
02-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Sorry this took so long to get back, but here's a response from one of my former co-workers:

Well OK, so it certainly won't be my last word on the latter, but...

Several people have written to ask my exact thoughts on the tragic incident at SeaWorld Orlando this week. Though I haven't worked at SeaWorld for a few years and don't have as much "inside information" as I used to, I am still extremely well versed in the history of all the parks' killer whales, the methods & procedures with which they are interacted and trained, and the complex issues regarding their life in captivity. So here's my two cents' worth and then I'm putting the matter to rest so I can ignore the media's further attempts to raise my blood pressure.

One of my former co-workers gave up a very lucrative position as head of the Oregon Coast Aquarium years ago when it was decided that Keiko (the star of "Free Willy") would be transferred there in preparation for his release into the ocean. His tongue-in-cheek opinion is that killer whales are actually an alien species that has the power to atrophy all human brains in their presence. He saw previously sane and intelligent people around him suddenly making all kinds of irrational decisions and going into mass hysteria in their anticipation of Keiko's arrival, and figured an entry-level keeper position elsewhere was a better mental health choice than being around for the chaos and stupidity he foresaw once the whale was actually THERE.

Of course, he tells the story in at least partial jest, but the recent news coverage of Dawn Brancheau's tragic death at the hands (OK, jaws) of Tilikum has me thinking he may be on to something. Although I have come to expect the media to sensationalize everything - apparently they'd lose all their advertisers if they didn't regularly work up the public into a passionate frenzy - but some of the opinions I've seen and heard expressed by the morons who actually believe the TV version of what went down ("Oh my God, they forced that poor girl to get next to a vicious monster that has already murdered two people, and he leaped right out of the water and chomped her to death!") make it pretty easy to believe that killer whales indeed make people even more stupid than they already were.

So what really happened? We'll probably never know for sure - just as in the tiger attack on Roy Horn several years ago, when people were pretty sure the cat was spooked by something flashing in the audience, only Dr. Doolittle could really tell us. And since I haven't spoken with any of the trainers about this particular incident (anyone who feels the urge to enlighten me, please do), everything I know about it is from the same untrustworthy news outlets as the rest of you. But I do know a lot about many of the other so-called "attacks" that have happened with the whales, and I've worked around enough wild animals to know that these kinds of incidents always have a lot in common. First of all, animals VERY rarely take a sudden aggressive action without some of kind warning precursor. Sometimes it's a generalized change in temperament that lasts all day or more, sometimes it may be just a quick snarl or a look in its eye that gives you a second or two to know something's about to happen and back off. In almost all of the previous killer whale incidents at SeaWorld, the animal was (though rarely intentional) provoked in some manner. When Kasatka dragged Ken Peters to the bottom of the pool in San Diego a few years ago (as we've all seen dozens of times in the news this week), her calf was making a ruckus in another pool and Kasatka wanted to investigate. As in any training situation (including teaching your own kids) she was expected to ignore the distraction and proceed with the job at hand. Well, just like us humans sometimes, she wasn't in the mood to cooperate that day and took out her frustrations on Petey. Not a big deal when you're training a parakeet, but it doesn't take much effort at all for a pissed off 3-ton predator to cause some major damage, even if their intent was the equivalent of pushing someone out of your personal space or swatting a rambunctious puppy off the dinner table. I've heard more than one witness statement from Orlando say that Tilikum seemed to be a bit moody that day. Perhaps he showed some long-term warning signs, perhaps not. And in that exact moment, we'll never know what set him off and made him grab Dawn's ponytail. Mistaken for a fish, perhaps? Reminiscent of one of his favorite toys? Or just spooked or frustrated by something and she was the closest thing he could lash out at?

Regardless, the trainers are 100% aware and respectful of the fact that these animals can kill them on a whim - it should say something to all of us that it hasn't happened more in the past. Contrary to a lot of recent comments by people, they are not called "killer whales" because they like to kill people. In fact, there is not one single documented case of a killer whale attacking a human in the wild. I even read of a fairly recent incident in the Pacific northwest where a mother was watching her son play in the surf and saw a huge dorsal fin coming at him at full speed. With no time to react, she thought she was about to witness her child's violent death... but at the last second - presumably because he realized his target was a scrawny little human and not a blubbery seal - the whale changed course and aborted the attack. His inertia still caused him to bump the boy, causing some minor injuries, but proving it's not really in their nature to kill us. Which is strange, because we seem to be about the ONLY species on which they do not prey. Their common name comes from their propensity to kill and eat OTHER whales, up to and including adult blue whales, the largest animal ever to live on the planet.

But I digress... this diatribe is supposed to be about Tilikum and the asinine things people are saying about him this week. The first batch of people I really take issue with are those who are demonizing him (the "serial killer whale" contingent) and calling for him to be euthanized or, at the very least, put in isolation "where he can't hurt anyone else." This is at least moderately understandable when none of the news stories of the last few days can resist making a big deal out of the fact that he "killed" two other people in the past; but those reports are completely overblown and misleading. In the first incident in Canada, two other female whales actually grabbed the trainer and had probably already killed her (or were well on their way) by the time Tilikum joined the fray. The second incident, in Orlando, was a mentally ill homeless man who hid in the park until after closing and got in the water to skinny dip with Tilikum. When employees found him in the morning, his body was draped across Tilikum's back... which is exactly what he does with his "toys" when he's bored with them and wants the trainers to take them out of the pool. When the autopsy showed that most of the physical injuries (bites, bruises, etc.) occurred AFTER the man drowned, it looked like Tilikum had probably just dragged him underwater to play with him, obviously unaware that we puny humans can't hold our breath for 15 minutes like they can. Even in some of the previous incidents where someone has been pulled into the water and injured while other trainers try to distract the whale and save the person, the whales really have no good incentive to let them go. As creative as we've been with some of the enrichment devices we provide, nothing is more stimulating than a toy that kicks, thrashes, and screams when you pull it to the bottom of the pool.

Again, this was no cold-blooded murder. It's doubtful Tilikum even meant to hurt her at all, but even if he WAS frustrated or angry at something, Dawn was his co-worker who had spent a decade building a relationship with him and I have no doubt in my mind that he had no intent to kill her. Even among our human co-workers, sometimes we have bad days and lash out, occasionally even physically. Working with animals is even more unpredictable, let alone one that weighs 100 times more than you do, has a mouth full of teeth designed for ripping flesh, and lives underwater. There are probably hundreds of animal "attacks" at SeaWorld every year that you'll never hear anything about because the most gruesome result is a few stitches. You know those cute and cuddly little river otters in the sea lion show? They're arguably the most vicious animals in the park - you'd be hard-pressed to find one of their trainers without multiple scars on their hands. But even on their worst day, they could never inflict the kind of damage even a small killer whale could with a single bite or swipe of its tail. Unfortunately for Tilikum (and more importantly, for Dawn) size matters. But it makes no more sense to put him down than it would to euthanize one of those otters for a lacerated finger. Isolating him from human contact is not the answer, either. This is an animal who has spent over a quarter century interacting with his trainers and park guests; sticking him alone in a remote tank would be a lonely and barbaric prison sentence for a social animal who probably has no idea that he did something "wrong."

But the people I find even more dangerous are those who are using this incident as a rallying cry to have Tilikum - and in many cases, all killer whales - released from captivity. The wisdom in beginning to collect whales for display back in the 60s is a debate that will never end; I personally have come to accept it as a "necessary evil" because of the educational value they have provided on many fronts. No one without a personal agenda can deny the incredible amounts of useful information we've learned about all whales from having Orcinus orca right at our fingertips, especially with the recent breakthroughs in artificial insemination. It's just a matter of time before that knowledge can be readily used to aid in the propagation of endangered marine species, perhaps saving some of them from impending extinction. Less tangible but equally important is Shamu's role as an ambassador to those who would not otherwise learn or care about the ocean and its inhabitants. How many of the world's marine biologists are currently "saving the planet" only because their parents decided 20 years ago that it would be more interesting to spend their vacation money watching a big black and white whale jump around a pool than to ride a bunch of roller coasters? Could that barbaric "Soak Zone" actually be memorable enough to inspire the next Jacques (or Jacqueline!) Cousteau into action? The way most of humanity seems to be heading, I don't think we can afford to say no.

But whether or not you think killer whales should ever have been captured in the first place, the fact remains that these animals are now undeniably domesticated. All but 5 whales in the SeaWorld system were born at one of the parks, and of those Tilikum was the most recently collected, in 1983. Just as it would be inhumane to grab a dingo from the outback and lock him up in your living room, it would be just as inappropriate to dump your cocker spaniel in the middle of the jungle and expect it to last more than a day or two. For many years, it was believed that with the right training, a killer whale could be prepared for a successful re-release into the wild. But then they invested many years and untold dollars into getting Keiko ready for ocean life... and he ended up suffering a slow and miserable death because he was never able wean himself from human dependency and adjust to life with other whales. I will never give an ounce of credibility to the activists who assert that death is better than any captive life. I spent six years working at SeaWorld, three of them working directly with the marine mammals, and can guarantee that those animals (and the killer whales in particular) are treated much better than any human employee there has ever been - and I would confidently put their level of animal care up against any other zoological facility in the world.

Even those who are resigned to the whales remaining in captivity but think it's cruel to "make" them perform in shows, are ignorant and misguided. Probably the most famous living killer whale on the planet, now that we failed Keiko, is Corky - the oldest surviving whale of any species in all the world's zoological parks. She's getting close to 50 years old and is the number one poster child for whale activists everywhere (google her name and almost every web site you'll find has something about the "Free Corky" movement). I've already stated my opinion on releasing these animals, but it's especially ludicrous in her case. She has no teeth left and is one of the most docile and people-friendly whales you'll ever meet; releasing her, or any of SeaWorld's whales for that matter, would be exponentially worse than euthanasia. And to stop using her in shows?!? This is where I have firsthand, personal experience. Before my stint in animal care, I was an educator at SeaWorld and spent many a shift at the side of the "Shamu Close-Up" pool, where I spent hours and hours observing every one of San Diego's killer whales. I knew their personalities and temperaments. And I can tell you unequivocally that I NEVER saw Corky more visibly unhappy than when she was moved to that back pool during a show (especially during the busy summer, no whale performs in every show - they rotate them throughout the day to prevent fatiguing some whales and boring others). Corky loved to perform, and she would literally pout every time she was left out of a show. Again, taking that kind of interaction out of their lives would be akin to a prison sentence.

Thus, I for one applaud SeaWorld for sticking to their guns and insisting that Tilikum will NOT be euthanized, released, isolated, or in any other way punished for his actions on Wednesday. I'm also sure that no matter how long they wait to resume shows at the Orlando park, plenty of yahoos will cry out that it's too soon. I know what a tightrope they're walking on that front - the trainers need time to mourn the loss of a good friend and adjust their individual attitudes toward working around Tilikum; but the longer they wait to resume business as usual in that stadium, the bigger the risk of frustrating the other whales. That's why I bristle at remarks like I read on the front page of the paper today suggesting that SeaWorld's decision to leave Tilikum and the rest of the Shamu show as is, are financially motivated. The bottom line is that these people have been working with and caring for the whales for over four decades now. They know what's good for them; and neither you, I, the heart-rending anchor on TV, or the crazy PETA activist being quoted in the newspaper, really know our heads from our proverbial asses when it comes to deciding their fate. So in the immortal words of Mr. Forrest Gump...

That's all I have to say about that.

sariana
02-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Lauren, thanks for posting that. And amen to your friend/former co-worker.

maestramommy
02-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks Lauren for posting the entire letter. I think it was important for us to see and understand things we may not have, being on the outside. Esp. in regards to the issues of having animals perform. Dh made the remark about intelligent social animals needing work to do or they will go a little weird. It's easy to see with dogs, probably more so for whales and dolphins.

BabyMine
02-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Thank you Lauren for the insight from someone on the inside. It's hard as an outsider not to pass the wrong judgement. Your friend did a wonderful thing by educating people on the true side of the Orcas. I wish this could be published in major newspapers.

bubbaray
02-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks Lauren.

I didn't realize Americans know him as "Tilikum". He was in Oak Bay in Victoria for many years and was called "Tillikum" or "Tillicum" there. Its a First Nations word and in that language is spelled "Tillicum" or "friend".

bluestarfish18
02-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Like I said before, we're in a really small crack between that rock and hard spot. I just wish the best to all involved, and hope the future of marine mammals everywhere is a little brighter.

Melbel
02-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks again Lauren for posting. It is refreshing to hear an insider's point of view.