PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions to stop a 2.5 year old from throwing

hillview
02-24-2010, 09:48 PM
DS2 has fallen into some bad behaviors. He throws food or toys at random. He will dump out his cheerios and then say "funny" he is CLEARLY looking for a reaction. He does this ALL.THE.TIME. He is 2.5. We've tried:
- No, not funny. Food stays on the plate blah blah. Said nicely but firmly
- Giving him a time out
- Ignoring him

Nothing seems to work. I will admit his caregivers will be consistant for a time and then fall back to a gentle "no" etc. We didn't have anything like this issue with DS1. We sit at the table together, DS1 is generally modeling good behavior. It is largely at meal times but happens often with toys etc.

PLEASE HELP!
Thanks!
/hillary

LMPC
02-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Have you tried really camping it up that DS1 models good behavior? You can even get him in on the act as the "big brother"....something like "let's try to help [DS2] learn good table manners! Do you think you could help me?" Then during meals, praise DS1 for NOT throwing food -- the reason I think this might work is that a lot of 2.5 yo want to be "big kids" KWIM? When he doesn't get a reaction for throwing food, but sees DS1 getting praised for good manners, he might stop throwing food (or toys). The other important thing is to catch him NOT throwing food and praise him for this.

I hope this makes sense -- GL!!!

hillview
02-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Have you tried really camping it up that DS1 models good behavior? You can even get him in on the act as the "big brother"....something like "let's try to help [DS2] learn good table manners! Do you think you could help me?" Then during meals, praise DS1 for NOT throwing food -- the reason I think this might work is that a lot of 2.5 yo want to be "big kids" KWIM? When he doesn't get a reaction for throwing food, but sees DS1 getting praised for good manners, he might stop throwing food (or toys). The other important thing is to catch him NOT throwing food and praise him for this.

I hope this makes sense -- GL!!!

I like it! Something I have NOT tried :)

Plan "S" is this :)
/hillary

LMPC
02-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Let me know if it works :) I'm sure you have better things to be doing besides picking up cheerios off the floor :wink2:

belovedgandp
02-24-2010, 10:37 PM
My 2 1/2 year old is throwing more lately, but not food. So far we've curbed by emphasizing we only throw balls and that balls are for the playroom and outside.

crl
02-24-2010, 10:46 PM
For the non-food items, I took them away from DS immediately. He lost whatever he threw until after nap or the next morning depending on when he did it. I did it every.single.time. It worked pretty quickly.

He never really threw food much so I don't have any personal experience. I've heard some people declare the meal over as soon as food is thrown (with a substantial snack offer 1/2 later if they think the kid is still hungry).

Catherine