PDA

View Full Version : How Many Loaves of Bread do you go through a week?

HIU8
02-24-2010, 10:09 PM
We have been going through 2-3 loaves. DS is a pbj fanatic and lately can eat 3-4 in a sitting. DD doesn't do bread that often and DH does pbj as well. It seems like we are eating a lot more of it and the loaves have gotten somewhat smaller. I just noticed today that we are down to one loaf and I have to get more for the weekend.

Twoboos
02-24-2010, 10:11 PM
I would say 3 or so. It makes me NUTS, it seems every time I turn around we need more bread. I have automatically started buying it every time we go to Target (they have the one HFCS-free type DD1 eats) since the price is better there.

HIU8
02-24-2010, 10:14 PM
I can't buy bread at our Target. DH is diabetic. I always go for the lowest carb bread I can get. Right now I think I found one that isn't (diet) that is 13 carbs a slice.

Twoboos
02-24-2010, 10:16 PM
I can't buy bread at our Target. DH is diabetic. I always go for the lowest carb bread I can get. Right now I think I found one that isn't (diet) that is 13 carbs a slice.

Oh boy, that is tough! I don't know about you, but I get a little panicky when I open the last loaf. It's ridiculous. And this reminds me I need to buy bread tomorrow. :)

MMEand1
02-24-2010, 10:19 PM
We're sitting at 1-2 a week, but I see that increasing this summer since they both LOVE PB&J

g-mama
02-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Not even 1 whole loaf per week - probably 1/2 to 3/4 a loaf. My kids don't like sandwiches very much, unfortunately. PB&J sounds so nice and easy!

bubbaray
02-24-2010, 10:33 PM
2 a week, probably, though I don't keep track. We go through more bagels than bread.

maestramommy
02-24-2010, 10:35 PM
1.5-2 loaves of sandwich bread. 1.5 loaves of breakfast bread (we make our own).

belovedgandp
02-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Sorry - 0 here. We just don't do sandwiches. When DH worked from home we did more sandwich meat and grilled cheese, but still only one loaf a week. My kids like peanut butter, but tend to eat it on apples or just make cracker sandwiches since we don't have bread.

I have discovered the Orrowheat (I think that's the brand) sandwich thins. They are round and remind more of a lighter english muffin than bread. I buy those about once a month to make mini pizzas on.

HIU8
02-24-2010, 10:38 PM
I feel like we eat so much bread (by we I mean DS and DH primarily). there have been weeks where it was 4 loaves (those are weeks when DS has 3 pbj for lunch and 3 more for dinner). Yes, DS is very limited in what he will eat (translate--PICKY).

m448
02-24-2010, 10:43 PM
6 loaves of bread in about a week and a half (nature's own when it's not my homemade stuff). Yes we go through a lot of bread and my oldest two have voracious appetites beneath their string bean bodies. I don't just give them bread and empty carbs but making sunbutter and fruit spread sandwiches for three kids plus an adult or toast with butter plus some scrambled eggs and then a healthy eater of a husband on the weekends it adds up.

g-mama
02-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I feel like we eat so much bread (by we I mean DS and DH primarily). there have been weeks where it was 4 loaves (those are weeks when DS has 3 pbj for lunch and 3 more for dinner). Yes, DS is very limited in what he will eat (translate--PICKY).

WOW!! I cannot believe your ds can eat 3 whole sandwiches at a sitting. That is impressive! I can barely get my 4 and 6 yo ds' to eat ONE sandwich with the crusts cut off.

MelissaTC
02-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Not even a loaf. DS's school is a peanut free campus so pbj sandwiches for lunch at school are out. It is a bummer because he is a pbj addict and would eat them every lunch if he could.

o_mom
02-24-2010, 11:20 PM
2-3 per week usually. DH buys HFCS-free 100% whole wheat at Sam's. We freeze it, so usually have 6-8 loaves in the freezer at a time. DH usually has a sandwich daily, I have toast daily and the kids sandwiches 3-4 times/wk. If friends come over, we can go through almost a whole loaf just on lunch for 6-8 kids having grilled cheese, so yeah, lots of bread here. Milk as well - 2 gallons or more each week between cereal and drinking.

jgenie
02-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Not even 1 whole loaf per week - probably 1/2 to 3/4 a loaf. My kids don't like sandwiches very much, unfortunately. PB&J sounds so nice and easy!

:yeahthat:

ilfaith
02-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Less than one loaf of sandwich bread. We don't eat that many sandwiches. I'm more likely to pack my kids a roll up on a tortilla, although I do sometimes buy those Arnold thin rolls.

I do frequently pick up a challah for Friday night dinner, and it usually gets finished off at breakfast the following morning.

fivi2
02-25-2010, 12:06 AM
1 to 1.5. Dh hasn't been packing his lunch lately, and I am trying to reduce carbs, so that is pretty much just the girls. But it is the orowheat, and I think their loaves are small. (maybe I am crazy?).

KpbS
02-25-2010, 12:19 AM
WOW!! I cannot believe your ds can eat 3 whole sandwiches at a sitting. That is impressive! I can barely get my 4 and 6 yo ds' to eat ONE sandwich with the crusts cut off.

This is what I was thinking! Unbelievable!!! My DC are allergic to wheat so I can't imagine. Wow!

alien_host
02-25-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm going to say 1 loaf. DH doesn't take lunch to work or eat breakfast at home during the week. I will eat toast. DD eats maybe 1/2 a sandwich every couple of days and has toast maybe 2-3 times a week.

The problem with bread in the house is that I end up eating most of it!

ETA: this doesn't include bagels or english muffins though...

crl
02-25-2010, 12:26 AM
About a loaf plus 1/2 doz TJ's mini bagels.

Catherine

elliput
02-25-2010, 12:31 AM
It is rare that we eat more than one loaf a week. Now, if we were talking bagels...

lchang25000
02-25-2010, 12:36 AM
1/2 loaf if even that. DS does not eat sandwiches yet and DH does not eat bread often. I wil have toast for breakfast sometimes.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
02-25-2010, 01:36 AM
1 and a half in the winter. 2-3 in the summer. BLT's man.

salsah
02-25-2010, 01:52 AM
1-2 depending on if the girls are in the mood for sandwiches.

egoldber
02-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Around 2. DH makes all our bread. He makes 2 loves at a time and we use one and freeze the other for later in the week. Both kids usually have toast with breakfast and they also eat about 2 sandwiches a week. I eat about 1 sandwich a week.

DH eats a lot of sandwiches for lunch though. He works from home most days and usually just makes himself a sandwich.

carolinamama
02-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Maybe 1 loaf a week. DS1 eats pb&j several days a week for lunch and DS2 eats sunbutter and jelly but I tend to only make a half sandwich at a time and serve with lots of fruit on the side. DH takes leftovers for lunch most of the time and I'm not a sandwich eater.

WatchingThemGrow
02-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Around 2. DH makes all our bread. He makes 2 loves at a time and we use one and freeze the other for later in the week. Both kids usually have toast with breakfast and they also eat about 2 sandwiches a week. I eat about 1 sandwich a week.

DH eats a lot of sandwiches for lunch though. He works from home most days and usually just makes himself a sandwich.
Same here, but DH doesn't make it! He wants me to start making it for him. He is a carb addict. The rest of us probably eat 8 slices/week, altogether. I've been doing Healthy Bread in 5m/day, but we eat that with dinner.

JTsMom
02-25-2010, 09:46 AM
1-2 on average, and they are the smaller loaves from WFs.

elephantmeg
02-25-2010, 09:57 AM
maybe a loaf of store bread a week-usually more like 1/2. But if I make bread/rolls they're GONE. I usually do one or the other once a week or so

Melaine
02-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Usually 1 regular HFCS-free wheat loaf a week. But we also make bread sometimes and also buy tortillas, bagels, and bakery bread occasionally.