PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cooking Salsa Chicken i crock pot looking to speed up the time a bit

jacksmomtobe
02-25-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm cooking salsa chicken for tonight's dinner but didn't get it started quite early enough. I'm looking to cut the cooking time by about 1/2 hour. It's on low now can I put it on high for a short time to cut the overall cooking time a bit? Any idea for how much time I should do that or any other solutions. The kids have been sick so I'd like to dinner a bit earlier & get them to bed earlier.

THANKS!

infomama
02-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Sure...put it on high the whole time if you want. It will cut the cooking time in about half. With chicken salsa this is totally do-able..now when it comes to a roast I would rather it cook on low for hours and hours.

crl
02-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Depending on how long you've got it may be fine on low. I find chicken dishes are usually done on the short end of time ranges in my slow cooker. So if you've got 6 hours, I think you are probably fine. If you only have 4 hours, I'd bump it up to high for a bit.

I believe, the general rule of thumb is 1 hour on high = 2hours on low.

Catherine

jacksmomtobe
02-25-2010, 04:33 PM
I've cooked it about 4 1/2 hours already. The recipe suggested about 7 hours which would put me at around 6pm my time.

vonfirmath
02-25-2010, 04:35 PM
I found that chicken salsa can be cooked at 350 degrees for as little as half an hour and come out fine.

crl
02-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Honestly? I'd open the lid, try to shred the chicken and see if it's already done. I usually do that at about 5 1/2 hours in and it's totally cooked.

If it's not done, then put the lid back on and bump it up to high for an hour or so. Does that make your timing right?

If it is done, shred it and put it on warm until dinner time.

Catherine

infomama
02-25-2010, 04:37 PM
I would cut a piece of chicken to check for done first. If it is already cooked just leave it on low. If it's still raw in the middle (which I kind of doubt) put it on high now for that last 1 1/2 hours.

alien_host
02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
I've made it with 4 chicken breasts in a 7 qt crock pot in 5 or 6 hours. In fact I think I just cook it for 6 and not the recommended 8 b/c it has always been finished. Like other PPs said, shred the chicken and check, I bet you'll find it is done. I like to shred it about 1/2 hour before we eat it as the chicken soaks up the liquid a bit.

jacksmomtobe
02-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I checked the chicken and it was fine. I then just shredded it 1/2 hour before I wanted the kids to eat. It looked and tasted great.

Thanks again!