PDA

View Full Version : Between 3 inexpensive gliders

bosco2010
02-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Does anyone have any experience with these three gliders? I am looking to spend no more than $200 for a glider. My husband and I are both typical weight. I am 5'6 (150 lb) and he is 6'1 (200 lb). Which one would you recommend or is there another brand you would suggest?

Storkcraft Tuscany Glider & Ottoman Combo - Cherry/Beige (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Storkcraft-Tuscany-Glider-and-Ottoman-Black-and-Beige/10983276)

Dorel - Rocking Chair Bundle (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dorel-Rocking-Chair-Choose-your-Slipcover/13229908) (buy slip cover separate) I think this was the inexpensive set in the baby bargains book

Kendall Sleigh Style Glider Rocker and Ottoman (http://www.target.com/Kendall-Sleigh-Glider-Rocker-Ottoman/dp/B000S8KJS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=glider%20rocker&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=150&id=Kendall%20Sleigh%20Glider%20Rocker%20Ottoman&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Cta rget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=salesrank&searchPage=1&field_keywords=glider%20rocker)

DebbieJ
02-26-2010, 11:58 AM
I would take that $200 and scour Craigslist for a Shermag or Dutailer.

I paid $125 for my Shermag on CL and it's awesome. WAYYYY more comfortable than our previous cheapie glider. It's also wider and it reclines, which is very helpful. I've slept in it holding my stuffy baby. He couldn't sleep any other way. Mine also locks--it doesn't rock unless someone is sitting in it, which is great when big brother tries to push the chair!

My sister has a glider that she got from Babies R Us and she even commented on how nice mine is.

Indianamom2
02-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Of those choices, I think I would choose the Storkcraft glider. It looks more padded (you'll spend A LOT of time sitting in it!) and I think you will probably prefer a glider to a rocker with a new baby.

I agree with the previous poster though...if there's any way you can throw just a bit more money into it for new, or find a used, Shermag makes a great lower-priced glider.

I have had one for over five years now and still love it. Baby Depot carries them (a quick look on their website shows one for $229) but I bet you could find a good deal on one. There is a big difference in the quality of gliders and IMO, it's one of those things you're better off not scrimping on. Check consignment stores and Ebay/craigslist to see if anyone has a gently used one for sale.

Oh, and I think I prefer the traditional glider style to the prettier upholstered one (like your second choice) because I think they are easier to get in and out of while trying to keep a sleeping baby asleep....could just be me, but they generally sit up higher, so it's easier to scoot up and stand while trying not to wake a baby.

AnnieW625
02-26-2010, 07:25 PM
I would take that $200 and scour Craigslist for a Shermag or Dutailer.

I paid $125 for my Shermag on CL and it's awesome. WAYYYY more comfortable than our previous cheapie glider. It's also wider and it reclines, which is very helpful. I've slept in it holding my stuffy baby. He couldn't sleep any other way. Mine also locks--it doesn't rock unless someone is sitting in it, which is great when big brother tries to push the chair!

My sister has a glider that she got from Babies R Us and she even commented on how nice mine is.

:yeahthat: I don't have a glider, but if I really wanted one that is what I would do first. I am a big fan of quality furniture that will last vs. the cheapo stuff that may not last long.