PDA

View Full Version : Help! 1 yr old bites me A LOT while nursing

cdlamis
02-26-2010, 11:42 AM
I know its normal for nursing babies to bite while nursing (even though my other 2 did not). I understood that it only took a few times of removing from the breast and a firm "No biting" to do the trick. Well, this baby did not get that memo. She bites at least a few times each session and HARD! She occasionally clenches her jar to get a better grip. OUCH!

I have tried everything- ending the session, handing her off to DH, saying "No" loudly. Last night, after being bit for the 20th time (not an exaggeration), I even tried pretend crying and she got a kick out of that. No matter what, she always gets a negative reaction from me but as soon as I put her back on the breast, she bites again. This usually happens when she is nursing as soon as she wakes up or before bed, so I can't really end the session for good as a "punishment". I guess I am sucker for pain! :)

Any ideas? Or BTDT stories. I am waiting so patiently for this phase to end but it has been about 3 weeks now. Ugh!

Jen841
02-26-2010, 12:09 PM
I remember the tear I shed b/c of bites. Ouch! I ended up stopping nursing, and he was happy with it. We always joke my son was an "outward facing baby" he was never a snuggler. He wanted to see the world while he ate.

Cuckoomamma
02-27-2010, 01:26 AM
It's hard to tell exactly what is happening, so I may thrash around a little with ideas. Sometimes babies bite as they relax, similar to that falling-off-a-cliff sensation that you sometimes get when falling asleep. Could this be it? Sometimes you can anticipate it and pull out just before they go to clench down. I found that changing the position I was nursing in helped. Something about a particular position for a particular period of time seemed to make her more prone to clench.

Another thought is that she may be teething. I know that when dd1 was going through that stage I would give her something super cold (like a teether or frozen bm by spoon) to shock her gums. For example, as she was going to sleep she'd clench. I'd take her off, trying not to make a big deal. I'd give her the spoon of frozen bm and then nurse again and she'd be fine.

Just two ideas that may help.

hellokitty
02-27-2010, 09:17 AM
It's hard to tell exactly what is happening, so I may thrash around a little with ideas. Sometimes babies bite as they relax, similar to that falling-off-a-cliff sensation that you sometimes get when falling asleep. Could this be it? Sometimes you can anticipate it and pull out just before they go to clench down. I found that changing the position I was nursing in helped. Something about a particular position for a particular period of time seemed to make her more prone to clench.

Another thought is that she may be teething. I know that when dd1 was going through that stage I would give her something super cold (like a teether or frozen bm by spoon) to shock her gums. For example, as she was going to sleep she'd clench. I'd take her off, trying not to make a big deal. I'd give her the spoon of frozen bm and then nurse again and she'd be fine.

Just two ideas that may help.
:yeahthat:

Some other ideas. If you get the feeling that the baby is going to bite, pull her mouth/nose close into your breast, b/c then she can't breath. Her reflex will be to let go and hopefully, after a few times, she'll stop doing it. Also, watch your positioning. I know that as babies get bigger, sometimes it's hard to keep them still or up close enough as they nurse, esp b/c they are so squirmy at that age. When they do this, their latch slips a bit and yes, they WILL bite to try to get a better grip. So, watch your latch to make sure she has a good one and it doesn't slip. Teething is often an issue at 1 yrs of age. I would avoid giving her any numbing agents like orajel. It will actually make her bite more, b/c she might not be able to feel her gums very well. So ignore ppl's advice to give her orajel, b/c somewhere down the line, ppl always recommend the orajel. Oh and sometimes babies bite to get your attn. For example, if you are talking or on the phone, etc. while she is nursing, she may be trying to get your attn. My guess though is that just as the pp I quoted above, she is still feeling sleepy and that is why she may be biting.