PDA

View Full Version : Anyone travel by Amtrack?

KrisM
02-26-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking of taking the 3 kids to a Children's Museum over spring break in April and am considering taking the train. It wouldn't save us any time, but it might be more pleasant, considering DS2 is no fun in the car these days.

Anyway, plusses, minuses? Anything to worry about?

mytwosons
02-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Which museum? Would you be catching the train in A2? I don't know how it is lately, but the train from Chicago to A2 used to always be late. Really late. I would want to know if the travel would be on that train and decide based on that info. FWIW, I do think train travel is a lot of fun with kids.

bluestarfish18
02-26-2010, 07:50 PM
By yourself? IMO, that would be harder than driving. But if you've got help, Amtrak is fun! There are snack cars, and sometimes viewing cars. But just having the chance to get up and walk around is wonderful!

KrisM
02-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Which museum? Would you be catching the train in A2? I don't know how it is lately, but the train from Chicago to A2 used to always be late. Really late. I would want to know if the travel would be on that train and decide based on that info. FWIW, I do think train travel is a lot of fun with kids.

Hands on Museum in A2. We'd come from northern Metro Detroit and it's about 1.5 hours on the train and maybe 30 minutes from home to the train station. It's about 1.5 hours to drive to A2.

KrisM
02-26-2010, 07:58 PM
By yourself? IMO, that would be harder than driving. But if you've got help, Amtrak is fun! There are snack cars, and sometimes viewing cars. But just having the chance to get up and walk around is wonderful!

That's my worry that it would be difficult. I'd need to take a stroller and stuff on and would be by myself.

No one likes being in the car with DS2 right now. He's loud. He's repetative "mom, mom, mom, moooooommmmm" or "mom look snow". He pinches. He pokes. He thinks it's all very funny.

Tondi G
02-26-2010, 07:59 PM
I would do it... my boys would LOVE that! My 4 year old wants to ride on a real train really badly but I found it isn't all that cheap to go Amtrak (and the places we would go would be more convenient to have a car). If it was a direct trip to a museum and then a ride home like you are talking, I would do it. Make sure you take a camera too.

Gena
02-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Hands on Museum in A2. We'd come from northern Metro Detroit and it's about 1.5 hours on the train and maybe 30 minutes from home to the train station. It's about 1.5 hours to drive to A2.

Where will you be getting off the train in A2? We went to the Hands on Museum a couple of years ago and had a great time. I don't remember seeing a train stop near there, but it's possible I just didn't notice it.