PDA

View Full Version : Balboa Sling/Pouch good?

lhafer
02-27-2010, 10:58 AM
I didn't really wear my first daughter. I do have an Ergo that I purchased for a trip but she was already 2.5 years old at the time - but I LOVED it. It was very comfortable to wear. I just had a baby on Monday, and would like to start wearing her to get her used to it. I purchased the new heart to heart insert for the Ergo, but haven't tried it yet - plan on doing that today. I have a Baby Bjorn (original) that I tried with my first daughter, and didn't like it. It really strained my back to wear her for any length of time.

I am interested in a sling/pouch/wrap type of carrier as well. I don't think I would like the Moby, but willing to try it. I have seen great reviews for the Balboa Adjustable sling. I like that it's quick and easy to use, adjustable, doesn't have tons of fabric to deal with, etc. Does anyone have experience with this sling? Is it worth the $60 price tag? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3500160

I live in Houston, so hot weather is a consideration. I am also large chested (and large in general) - I wear a 16-18 top, and am a 46F currently (nursing). Would this sling fit my frame??

Thanks for any recommendations/advice.

Laura

lhafer
03-01-2010, 10:31 AM
No one has any experience (good or bad, personal or otherwise) with this sling??

TwoBees
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I personally don't have any experience with this sling but I do recommend the Moby. I avoided slings because it would put DD's chin on her chest and she was so small that we really had to watch out for that. I was reluctant to try a Moby but recently purchased one and I wish I had sooner. It's really rather easy and allows me to wrap her as tightly (or loosely) as we need. I recommend trying it from a place with a good return policy (such as BRU or Target).

hobie
03-01-2010, 05:14 PM
I would go with a real ring sling, rather than that adjustable pouch. Sleepingbaby.net is a very good site, with reasonably priced, well made sings.

mousemom
03-02-2010, 06:07 PM
We tried out one of the Balboa slings with DS and could not get it to work comfortably for him. Not sure if we just couldn't follow the directions or what, but we returned it and stuck to the Baby Bjorn after that.

MomToOne
03-02-2010, 08:30 PM
I loved the peanut shell and still use it to this day with my toddler! It's great for when they're really little, just make sure you learn about the chin not touching chest thing like pp mentioned.

lhafer
03-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Okay, I got my Balboa sling, and have used it a couple of times. Still trying to get it down really good. Would like your expert opinions on if I am wearing it correctly or not. It feels pretty good, and she seems comfortable in it.

I prefer her upright like in the second picture until she gets better neck control. I have the fabric pushed back, but it can go over the back ofher head for support (which can be seen in the first picture).

hobie
03-06-2010, 02:10 PM
So cute!!!

TwoBees
03-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm no expert (far from it, actually), but it looks okay to me, as long as you are both comfortable and her breathing isn't impaired in any way (eg, chin on chest, fabric covering her face).

Enjoy!

beebee
03-18-2010, 11:40 PM
i have this sling which was given by a friend of mine. at first i had trouble using it when baby was newborn. i was just not comfortable seeing him inside the sling all bunched up but as he got bigger i started using it more and more. i usually have him seated almost on the sling. if you're bf it might come handy. although i didnt use it for that. it's handy esp when baby wants to get carried all the time. i still use mine a lot now that baby's 5 months but i'm looking into getting a beco or ergo soon...