PDA

View Full Version : Walking -What to bring

latully
02-27-2010, 05:18 PM
The weather is finally getting nice and I am wondering what to bring with me when going on 30 min. walks with the baby in the neighborhood. For the first walk, I brought the whole diaper bag! I know I don't need everything...or anything?? Suggestions?

SnuggleBuggles
02-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Imo, you don't need to bring much of anything if you are only be gone 30 minutes and will be in your neighborhood. Depending on weather you might consider a hat and/ or blanket. If you did have sort of diaper emergency would you want to handle it on the side of the road or would you just hightail it home? Me? I'd hightail it home but that's a choice you need to think about. I don't take a diaper bag into Target or the grocery store so keep that in mind. I tend not to think that anything so horrible is going to happen that I can't just get back to my car to handle, in your case you won't be so far from home.

Beth

wendibird22
02-27-2010, 05:30 PM
House keys and a cell phone are all I take.

latully
02-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I agree, I would rather change him at home! LOL

gatorsmom
02-27-2010, 05:33 PM
The weather is finally getting nice and I am wondering what to bring with me when going on 30 min. walks with the baby in the neighborhood. For the first walk, I brought the whole diaper bag! I know I don't need everything...or anything?? Suggestions?

Depends on the age of the baby and if you are nursing or breast feeding. I liked to walk for more than an hour and I brought:

drinks for baby
snack for baby
toys for baby
favorite blankie if s/he gets sleepy
proper clothing or sunshield or storm shield depending on the weather
a diaper and wipes
depending on the sun, maybe a hat or sunscreen

headphones for mom
sunscreen for mom
sun glasses for mom
extra jacket for mom
bug spray for later in the summer
drinks for mom
small snack for mom
cell phone
pepper spray (for random scary dogs- just in case)

At the beginning of the season, I usually put together a special bag that has most of this stuff in it and leave it with the stroller so I'm always ready to go for a walk.

sigh. I wish it were warm enough here to walk already. Enjoy!

dhano923
02-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I used to just take my cell phone, wallet and house key. The wallet was because part of my walk used to be on a busy street and I figured I should have ID on me in case something happened (if I got hit by a car or something). I wouldn't take diapers and things like that for a walk of less than an hour, especially in my own neighborhood. You could always just walk back home and change the baby if needed.

bubbaray
02-27-2010, 06:31 PM

:yeahthat:

hillview
02-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Assume baby is very young and in stroller?
A paci if applicable
Burp cloth or something to wipe a spitup with
Sun shade as needed
Blanket if needed

For older child, I take a sippy cup of water.

I wouldn't take a diaper change as 30 mins is fine IMO to wait to change if you are mid walk. Plus really who wants to do that on a walk.
/hillary

SkyrMommy
02-27-2010, 08:18 PM
I walk every day (except extreme cold) with DD & our dog, usually about 1-2 miles. Currently she's in a Deuter backpack & we carry 1 extra diaper, wipes (handy for lots of messes), sunglasses, extra mittens & handwarmers in case of emergency in the extra pockets. I have my cell phone, keys, doggie bag and treats in my jacket pockets.

In nicer weather we use the stroller & I'll bring the same things minus the mittens/handwarmers - I replace those with a blanket in case she falls asleep & I want to snuggle her in & this summer since she's bigger, I'll probably pack a water bottle for her.

Have fun... I love my walks with the 'crew'.

BabyMine
02-27-2010, 08:23 PM

:yeahthat: water and mp3 player.

doberbrat
02-27-2010, 08:32 PM
I'd bring keys, cell, tissues & purell. no way am I changing a diaper on the side of the road if I'm a max of 15min away from home.

KrisM
02-27-2010, 09:04 PM
I bring my cell, some water for me, something for the kids to drink and the kids usually pick a toy or a book to take along with them.

salsah
02-28-2010, 01:40 AM
water, cell phone, house keys, tissue, hand sanitizer, blanket.

i used to keep a diaper/wipes/changing pad in the stroller because if the baby pooped half thru the walk (while we were at the furthest point from home), i couldn't imagine letting her sit in it (and at a certain age, they will refuse to sit in) for 15 min until we got home. it only happened to me once, but i was glad i had the diaper and wipes.