PDA

View Full Version : TMI (AF post-pregnancy)--did this happen to anyone else

MamaSnoo
02-27-2010, 11:21 PM
I am having some real weirdness with my period. I was a very regular girl, 5 days per month, first 2 days heavier, last three lighter before DD.

Post-partum, I was EBF, and my period did not return for 8 mos. Then for about 9 mos, it came back, and was just like it was pre-pregnancy. Now, for the last 5 mos, I have 3 days of spotting followed by 5 days of heavy, heavy bleeding, followed by 2 of spotting. Last week, I actually had an accident at work (observed by a male client no less!) despite a super tampon and pad; that has not happened to me since I way 12!

Anyway, I am still nursing a little bit, so I had not restarted hormonal contraception, but I may have to. I am a little worried that the weirdness reflects a change in my fertility status (I'm getting older).

Has anyone else had major changes in your period after having a baby?

bubbaray
02-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Yeah, similar to what you describe. Though mine was worse after DD#2. Waaaay heavier and with cramps -- never had those before. Of course, my body is probably close to menopause, so its all wonky. Not to mention the weirdness that IF treatments probably did to it too. And 2 c/s.

DrSally
02-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Mine got much heavier after my first preg and even moreso after #2. I need a super plus tampon and overnight pad every hour for the first 2 days. It's almost like I can't go anywhere those first 2 days b/c overflow can happen *quickly*.

bubbaray
02-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Yeah, that is kinda what I experienced too. Yet, in the past couple of months, its been getting better (but my cycle has gone from a consisten 28 days to 25-26 days?!).

Its all weird.

MamaSnoo
02-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I guess I was on OCPs for a long time before TTC, so who know what I should expect. This overflow thing really sucks, though!!!

gatorsmom
02-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Mine got much heavier after my first preg and even moreso after #2. I need a super plus tampon and overnight pad every hour for the first 2 days. It's almost like I can't go anywhere those first 2 days b/c overflow can happen *quickly*.

yep, this is me too. But only since the twins' pregnancy. And then it lingers on for like 5 days. ugh! But yeah, AF is very different now from what it was pre-pregnancy. And I'm 38 so I don't think menopause is near (but some people start really early so maybe I'm wrong).

HIU8
02-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Mine got less after DS (I loved this) and then after DD it went wonky and was nothing to severe. It finally settled down after I started the pill again (or I fear it would still be wonky--going from 20 days to 35 days to 25 days to 40 days and each time it would do something different).

salsah
02-28-2010, 01:04 AM
mine got heavier too. and cramps (which were already horrible) got worse. i don't think breast feeding had any effect on it. (af started when both dd was 3 months old (both times) even though i was ebf. i also get days of spotting at the beginning but i experienced that before pregnancy too.

JBaxter
02-28-2010, 01:32 AM
After DS3 it got really weird for a while. Spot for 2 days then 3 days super heavy and 4 days regular. I can say since DS4 Jack is 16 months and no AF yet.

Indianamom2
02-28-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm in the same boat. After DD#1, my period got heavier for quite a while, then it eventually leveled off (probably because I was back on BCP's). After Ds#2, it's been awful, in terms of heaviness.

In fact, the periods since his birth have been worse bleeding than the in-the-hospital postpartum period. If I don't go to the bathroom immediately upon getting out of bed in the morning, I will have a real problem, even with two ultra-long ultra-thin pads. It's ridiculous. I just started taking BCP's again and I'm really hoping it helps.

egoldber
02-28-2010, 03:27 PM

This happened to me too, but mine is more of an every other month thing. That is one month my flow will be VERY heavy and then the next month more like a "normal" flow. My cycle also has gotten slightly shorter. I used to be very regular at every 29 days and now it is more like 26-28 days.