PDA

View Full Version : torticollis + vent

ewpmsw
02-28-2010, 03:48 PM
DD just started physical therapy with a PT who is expecting in a month and may have mentally checked out of her job early. DD has had an evaluation for torticollis and one PT appt. so far. The PT is reluctant to touch DD and has barely laid hands on her. (She seems offended that a 21 month old is shy about sitting on a stranger's lap. There was no screaming or tantrum - Just "no". Now the woman won't touch her. Interaction between the two has been minimal. What are we paying for???)

DD's head tilt is very slight, and wasn't present for second visit. However, PT switched from recommending stretches first week to discussing plastic collars and Botox the second week. She said most parents want the quick fixes and thought we would, too. Our pediatrician is recommending a new PT, which means a new evaluation ($cha-ching!$), as well as a visit to the orthopedist and opthamologist to make sure DD's field of vision isn't affected. I'm likely to stop seeing the first PT and just see the orthopedist before we go any further with all of this. Am I underreacting to not want Botox or a collar right off the bat? DD's pediatrician has never been concerned about the head tilt and still isn't, as it comes and goes. SIL is a PT in another state and is very concerned. I don't know how concerned to be at this point. I'm so confused!!! And ticked with the first PT for wasting my time...

ThreeofUs
02-28-2010, 04:03 PM
You don't have to stick with this PT! Oh, my goodness, she's working for you - not the other way around! Call her supervisor and discuss the situation. At the very minimum the woman is not clicking with your daughter or you. Something that wrong with a relationship like this is a huge trigger for seeing someone else, much less if she's trying to get you to do things that are non-exercise-based.

This PT seems odd, to say the least. You're not over-reacting and your support personnel are telling you the right things to do.

DrSally
02-28-2010, 04:25 PM
I would totally switch PT's. It doesn't sound like she's doing anything for your DD. It may have nothing to do with her preg and just that she isn't clicking with your DD, who knows. Regardless, it isn't working. DN had a case of torticollis that sounds more severe than your DD's and it was fixed relatively quickly with stretches and exercises at every diaper change.

poppy
03-01-2010, 10:10 AM
This very thing happened to us. Our PT was not very nice to our DS and made snide comments about him. We reported her to her supervisor and we got a new PT we were happy with.

It costs more to go to a PT you are unhappy with than to get a new PT you are. Also, it's just a waste of your time if nothing is being done to help your DC. They are supposed to accomodate your DC; they are babies after all!

BTW, plastic collars and botox? That is really unacceptable.
This PT sounds like she'd do more harm than good.

ewpmsw
03-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Just an update: We saw an orthopedist on Friday and he thinks DD's torticollis is mild enough to be treated with a few months of stretches/PT. He was against Botox, taping and a collar. I've spoken to the PT's supervisor and let her know why we don't think it's a good fit.

DrSally
03-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Just an update: We saw an orthopedist on Friday and he thinks DD's torticollis is mild enough to be treated with a few months of stretches/PT. He was against Botox, taping and a collar. I've spoken to the PT's supervisor and let her know why we don't think it's a good fit.

Great news!