PDA

View Full Version : Preschool....when did your DC start..??

newg
02-28-2010, 08:05 PM
DD just turned two and people are already asking me....making suggestions....about preschool for DD.................ummmmm, she just turned two!!!!!
My friend is planning on putting her DS in preschool next fall when he will be 2.5 (which DD will also be)....
I don't know 2-2 1/2 seems young for starting preschool...........................is this the norm now???
And do I really need to start looking at schools now for next year??!!!!

I figured DD would be at least three before the whole preschool thing started.......I mean...geeze, she's going to be in school her whole life, is there really a reason to start soooo young??

BabyMine
02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
M started at 2. He had so much fun and loved to socialize. There really isn't a correct age to send a child. It's what works for the family. I don't know if TT will go at 2 or later. It just depends if it is the right thing at the time.

MommyofAmaya
02-28-2010, 08:10 PM
She hasn't started yet, but we just signed up Amaya for a preschool coop next year and she will be 4.25 in August.

AbbysMom
02-28-2010, 08:11 PM
I enrolled my DD at 2.9 but never sent her. She's going this year at 3.9 and is ready.

hillview
02-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Around here it is 3 or 2.9 for preschool. DS started at 3 years and a month or so.
/hillary

caleymama
02-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Both of mine started just shy of 3. We have a 12/1 cut-off and DD1 was 2y11m and DD2 was 2y9m. DD1 actually did not do a second year of preschool b/c we moved twice that year. No problem transitioning to K.

HIU8
02-28-2010, 08:18 PM
It really depends here. If you need daycare, preschool is incorporated into many programs, so starting at age 2 (or even transitional 2's--kids who turn 2 between Sept. and Dec. is the norm). If you are not working then you may not need preschool/socialization at 2yrs old (esp if you are doing some classes etc...).

DS started preschool at 21 months (in a transitional 2's program), but I was working FT and needed the childcare. DD started preschool at 27 months. I now work PT from home and she goes to preschool for the hours I work.

o_mom
02-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Mine were 3. DS1 was almost 4 (birthday) and DS2 was 3 y 4mo. That gave them 2 years before K. I didn't feel they really needed more than that and couldn't justify spending the money for what would basically be my convenience. Even the 3 yo year wasn't necessary, except for my sanity.

baileygirl
02-28-2010, 08:28 PM
DS1 started at 2.75, and he only goes one morning a week. I put him in because he had been in daycare part-time until his brother was born. Having a newborn, I didn't know if I would be able to meet his social needs and I wanted a little time with just the baby. This fall, he'll be 3.75 and he'll go 2 mornings a week. With DS2 I plan on doing mom/toddler preschool when he is 2.5, and then he'll do 2 mornings a week starting when he is 3.5.

kayte
02-28-2010, 08:32 PM
DD started at 3.5. While she has had fun, I wish we had waited another year.

My friends were the same way---asking as soon as she turned two. Most of the kids in our circle of friends, started some summer camps at 2 and then at least a few days a week that fall (when they were all about 2.5). (In our playgroup, everyone's birthdate is within 6 weeks.)

That said I did tour schools and make our decision when DD was two. But that is because around here, some school require you sign up really early (like birth in some cases) to hold a spot.

Melaine
02-28-2010, 08:36 PM
I figured DD would be at least three before the whole preschool thing started.......I mean...geeze, she's going to be in school her whole life, is there really a reason to start soooo young??

No, there isn't a reason if it's not something you want to do. I hate seeing people feel pressured to put their children into preschool. If you want to keep DD home for a year or 2 (or THREE), there is no reason not to. I'm really enjoying my time with the girls at home, and they aren't missing anything by staying with me.:love-retry:

scrooks
02-28-2010, 08:38 PM
DD will start in the fall. She will be just over 3. I thought 2 was too young myself and I was surprised to find out how many people sent 2 year olds. Even next year, she will only be going 2 days a week.

KathyN115
02-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Around here you need to be 2 years 9 months to start preschool. DD started 2 days a week at 3 years 3 months. I am happy that she is going. She is an only child and I am a SAHM. She has always been somewhat clingy while at playgroups and while around other kids. She has made great strides this year. She loves school, is so much more independent and confident, which makes it worth it for me. Her school is mostly focused on playing, crafts, socialization, and getting the kids used to being more independent. It was a great choice for us. Next year she will go 3 mornings/week and start K the following year.

SnuggleBuggles
02-28-2010, 08:53 PM
With ds1 I could never understand why anyone considered preschool before 3yo. In my mind 3yo was when they should start preschool. I was, in fact, judgmental about it.

Then I had ds2. :) He started preschool- 2 mornings/ week, 2.5 hours at a time- when he was 21m. It was mostly selfish. I wanted a little bit of time each week to get things done. i run errands, go to the gym and volunteer during those 5 hours. I can do them with ds2 in tow but they are so much easier solo. I think that having my big age gap I was so used to some level of "freedom" that I wanted that. Some wasn't selfish though. I was hoping that by starting preschool with ds2 a bit earlier he might have an easier time in a childcare setting than ds2.

Never say never has been my mantra for quite a while now. :) He loves preschool and I love that he goes to preschool. But, I also loved having ds1 home with me till he was 3 so I can see both sides.

eta- his preschool is 100% play based. They have arts and crafts set out if interested but mostly the kids play, the sing some songs, run around outside and read some books. Pretty much all the things we would do at home. Just means he gets to do them rather than be dragged along with me on errands.

sste
02-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Is your DC showing interest in socializing with other kids? This to me is a key question in terms of when to start.

Our DS started a daycare with a preschool curriculum at age 2 - - we did that because our child care situation changed and we needed childcare. The first few months I really have to say I think the ideal thing would have been to keep him at home and continue his very active schedule of classes and activities (some places near us even have a special drop-in "preschool" for two-year olds that is just a few hours even morning and the caregiver accompanies the child.). Anyway, at around two years five months DS started to have much more interest in other kids and really enjoy all the different activities. He has told us many times he wants to stay in "school" and not go back to full-time nanny/at home.

So, for our DS I think 2.5 would have been perfect. I am sure 3 would have been fine too.

ETA: Just read your concern about being starting "school" so early in the academic sense. Our preschool is play-based - - circle time, arts/crafts, outdoor time, music & dance. The "academic" part is that they incorporate counting into the activities and color naming and I think they have a theme each month and they orient the circle time and crafts etc around that. So, for fire safety month DS learned about how fireman put out a fire, a fireman visited the school, and they did lots of stop, drop and roll. Actually, that one made a huge impression on DS and we are still hearing about how the water comes from the hydrant but the fire extinguisher has no water, other stuff comes out . . .

Indianamom2
02-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Well, our situation is a bit unique, but my DD#1 started a pre-school program at age 3. However, we only did it to get her the services she needed for speech, and the preschool program was a two-day a week group speech therapy session.

Her true pre-school experience began when she turned 4.

IMHO, there's plenty of time for school and any preschool should be play-based.

HIU8
02-28-2010, 09:02 PM
DD and DS's is play based. I would not have done it otherwise.

KrisM
02-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Mine were/will be between 3 and 3.5. DD was ready earlier and we did a Mommy and Me program at the same school that DS1 was at. She enjoyed it.

daphne
02-28-2010, 09:08 PM
DS started at 3 yr, 9 mo. DD will be be 3 yr, 3 mo. Kids generally start preschool the Sept after they turn 3 around here.

Melbel
02-28-2010, 09:28 PM
DS was 2.75, DD1 was 2 and I have not decided yet for DD2. Most people here send kids to some type of mother's morning out or preschool at age 2-3, some earlier.

The play based program (crafts, singing, playground time, etc.) was for 3 hours 2 days a week the first year (3 days a week the following year). I was working FT and had a FT nanny so we did not need childcare. I sent them to preschool for fun activities, play time and to build social skills. For the particular in demand preschool at a church, you register in January for the following fall. For both DS and DD1, we registered in January and then waited to see if they were ready in the fall. As it turned out, both were ready and loved it. DD1 was definitely younger than I would have thought, but she hated to be left at home without her big brother.

DD2 will be 2 and 3 months in the fall. I went ahead and registered her in January to save a spot, but I am not sure if I will be ready to send her yet, especially now that I am a SAHM. I have no doubt that she would have more fun for these few hours at preschool then running errands with me or doing laundry! It would also be nice for me to be able to resume PT/exercise for my back.

I think this is definitely a personal choice. What works for one family/child may not be best for you.

sariana
02-28-2010, 09:35 PM
DD turned 2 last month. We are doing Mommy and Me (since she was 20 months) and will continue to do that for a while. I have her on the waiting list for a 2 1/2-year-old preschool program (new in our district0 for next fall, but I seriously doubt I will enroll her. It's just difficult to get in, and there is no fee to get on the waiting list.

I think she'll start real preschool at 3 1/2 because she has a January birthday. DS started at 3 because his birthday is in July, and he started the following September. He really wasn't ready, but DH wanted two full years of preschool, and we're not redshirting. (DS is in Kinder now.)

If I can get DD into a program in the spring, I may have her start at 3. But that likely will not be possible. Most programs enroll for the whole school year.

newg
02-28-2010, 09:45 PM
I think she'll start real preschool at 3 1/2 because she has a January birthday. DS started at 3 because his birthday is in July, and he started the following September. He really wasn't ready, but DH wanted two full years of preschool, and we're not redshirting. (DS is in Kinder now.)

If I can get DD into a program in the spring, I may have her start at 3. But that likely will not be possible. Most programs enroll for the whole school year.

this was my next question..........DD's birthday is in Feb.........so if I wait 'till she's 3, do I have to wait 'till the following fall to enroll her (so she'd be 3.5) or do most programs have spring enrollment??

She is a social person.............side-by-side and parallel play with other kids.............but also a little shy..............

Gena
02-28-2010, 09:53 PM
DS started preschool at age 2 and a few months, in the Early Intervention toddler class. He transferred to the public school district's special needs preschool a couple weeks befoe he turned 3.

For him, early preschool was very important becuase he got a lot of his therapies there. We also did at home therapy, but it was good for him to have access to the professionals at school and their guidance was a great help to me during the preschool years. For kids with typical development, I don't think there is a need to start so young if you don't want to.

Seitvonzu
02-28-2010, 09:53 PM
this freaks me out.... my child is 2 months older than your DD and i'm NOT READY for her to go to pre-school.. seriously, she's TWO? school?

ugh. my SIL sent my nephew around this time, but she had a newborn so i totally get that-- it gave her time to bond with the baby or just take a breath. she needed it.

now that i'm thinking about it this way, maybe at the younger age it's about if the parent needs preschool or not? i'm not judging, i just can't imagine such young kids need "more" than an attentive parent can give them. we do playdates, library, some drop-in classes. it seems like enough for right now....but i still think about preschool and get nervous from time to time that lu might be "missing out" on some advantage. gack! I think i'll stick my head back in the sand now :)

ThreeofUs
02-28-2010, 10:05 PM
DS1 started preschool a little before 18 months, but he was an odd duck and *really* wanted/needed the socialization. (He would attach himself to groups of kids when we were places like museums and just follow them around, wanting to be part of their groups. You'd think we never had playdates or mommy-n-me classes with other kids.)

I stayed with him, though, until he was 3, as kind of an unofficial "assistant". He couldn't deal otherwise. When he was about 3.75, we put him in his current school for 2.5-hour pre-pre-K and he was able to build trust and let us leave for a couple of hours at a time. :)

Seriously, for each kid it's different. DS2 is a radically different child and is not a candidate for preschool - and he's just about 18 months old.

HIU8
02-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Most programs will do applications in the winter/spring for a fall enrollment. In my experience, the ones that enroll anytime are more likely a daycare setting and not a true preschool setting.

egoldber
02-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Both of my kids started preschool two mornings a week at 2. I am a huge introvert. I need my quiet downtime. My DH travels a lot. Preschool at 2 is cheaper than a sitter a couple days a week (at least for us).

Our "preschool" is completely playbased: music, art, stories, freeplay, lots and lots of outside and gym time. They do nothing "academic" until the 4 year old program.

But the norm here, for children with a SAH parent is to start preschool at 3.

elliput
02-28-2010, 10:18 PM
DD was 2.5. The daycare/child development center she attended labeled the class as "young pre-school".

MissyAg94
02-28-2010, 10:22 PM
No, there isn't a reason if it's not something you want to do. I hate seeing people feel pressured to put their children into preschool. If you want to keep DD home for a year or 2 (or THREE), there is no reason not to. I'm really enjoying my time with the girls at home, and they aren't missing anything by staying with me.:love-retry:

I couldn't agree more.

SnuggleBuggles
02-28-2010, 10:27 PM
this was my next question..........DD's birthday is in Feb.........so if I wait 'till she's 3, do I have to wait 'till the following fall to enroll her (so she'd be 3.5) or do most programs have spring enrollment??

She is a social person.............side-by-side and parallel play with other kids.............but also a little shy..............

It depends on the school if they have on-going enrollment. Ds2's preschool now does because they started with a small class size. As kids turn 18m they are able to start so 3 new kids have joined since the beginning of the year (bringing the class total to 9 kids and 3 teachers).

The other school that he will be going to last year will probably allow mid-year enrollment if there is space. However, it tends to fill up and spaces are hard to come by.

Beth

catpagmo
02-28-2010, 10:29 PM
My DD was 3 yrs, 8 mos when she started preschool. I felt she was ready then. I wouldn't have sent her at 2 yrs. She wouldn't have been ready. Her bday is in December, so we had to wait until the following fall to start.

I think you'll know when she's ready...or when you're ready.

newg
02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
this freaks me out.... my child is 2 months older than your DD and i'm NOT READY for her to go to pre-school.. seriously, she's TWO? school?

ugh. my SIL sent my nephew around this time, but she had a newborn so i totally get that-- it gave her time to bond with the baby or just take a breath. she needed it.

now that i'm thinking about it this way, maybe at the younger age it's about if the parent needs preschool or not? i'm not judging, i just can't imagine such young kids need "more" than an attentive parent can give them. we do playdates, library, some drop-in classes. it seems like enough for right now....but i still think about preschool and get nervous from time to time that lu might be "missing out" on some advantage. gack! I think i'll stick my head back in the sand now :)

This is what I'm thinking....................my friend's son is crazy active and she'll have another DC arriving the same week as me in August, so I think she's worried about going nuts with a newborn and an active 2.5 yr. old toddler............who knows, maybe she has the right idea..............but I think my DD will want to be home with me and the baby......I think I will need her home with me.......but I guess all of that could change in August when the next DC arrives.......

SnuggleBuggles
02-28-2010, 10:32 PM

Even though I personally am glad that we did early preschool I agree that it is a personal choice and everyone needs to do what they are comfortable with. I've done it both ways. :) I wouldn't want someone telling me that I had to send them early or they'd miss something crucial. I don't believe that to be true, in fact.

One thing for OP to keep in mind is whether all these people who are sending their kids earlier than you feel comfortable with are going to get all the spots- first come, first served? I doubt that would be the case but I know some preschools near us have waiting lists before kids are even 1 for the 3yo programs. It would be very savvy to at least really inform yourself about how things are going to work so you know if you need to make a decision sooner rather than later. It wouldn't be a bad idea to research choices now, visit schools and start the ball rolling if you plan to do preschool at 3 or 4yo.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
02-28-2010, 10:34 PM
This is what I'm thinking....................my friend's son is crazy active and she'll have another DC arriving the same week as me in August, so I think she's worried about going nuts with a newborn and an active 2.5 yr. old toddler............who knows, maybe she has the right idea..............but I think my DD will want to be home with me and the baby......I think I will need her home with me.......but I guess all of that could change in August when the next DC arrives.......

Sorry to be a posting fool! Now, I had a huge age gap btw my kids but I know my ds1 really appreciated having school and camp to go to after ds2 was born. It was nice for him to have some time that was totally all about him, for him, without a little sibling around. IME you can't really predict how big siblings will react to their younger ones. My ds1 threw us for a loop on a few things when he became a big brother.

Beth

smilequeen
02-28-2010, 10:45 PM
DS1, I was working part time, so he was in childcare and they switched to a more preschool atmosphere at 2.5. I probably wouldn't have sent him until 3 had I not been working.

DS2, I am not working since our move, but I started him in the toddler program at DS1's new preschool (Montessori). It functions more as a more enriching version of Mom's Day Out for me. 3 mornings a week in Montessoir is more fun and more enriching for him than spending the time at the gym childcare while I work out. He'll start real preschool next year at 3.

I don't think starting at 3 is neccessary in any way, but my kids enjoy it and I personally am not afraid to admit that the time to get a workout in and go to the grocery store alone makes it easier for me to be a good mom. I am an introverted person. Downtime is a neccessity for me to function. I was also painfully shy as a child, so I feel like preschool is helping my children overcome the tendency to be like me. If there is one thing about me I do NOT want my children to be, it's that. And I do feel like an introverted person can LEARN to be more assertive. I am hoping (and it seems to be true thusfar) that my children learn that by having this earlier socialization.

HIU8
02-28-2010, 10:47 PM
When DD was born, DS was 2.5 and in preschool/daycare as I was working FT. He stayed home for 3 days and then begged to go back to school.

smilequeen
02-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Sorry to be a posting fool! Now, I had a huge age gap btw my kids but I know my ds1 really appreciated having school and camp to go to after ds2 was born. It was nice for him to have some time that was totally all about him, for him, without a little sibling around. IME you can't really predict how big siblings will react to their younger ones. My ds1 threw us for a loop on a few things when he became a big brother.

Beth

That was so true for us too. Simon was in preschool when Oliver was born and it was great for 2 things.

1. Preschool was absolutely ALL about HIM. His teachers noticed that when they asked about his baby brother he seemed upset. They stopped asking and let that be his place where there was no focus on his little brother. I think we did pretty well at home and we had very very few jealousy issues, but I think having that place for him 2 days a week really helped.
2. I had a little bit of time to just bond with the new baby. It's very hard to just sit and stare at the wonder of this brand new life you just brought into the world when you have a 2 year old to take care of. It was nice to have a few hours to slow down, nurse the baby, and just hold him and rock him. DS1 had 24 hours a day of my constant attention. DS2 just had those few hours a week.

sste
03-01-2010, 12:23 AM
I didn't realize there was a new baby on the way too! If your DD will be 2.5 in the fall and is fairly social - - and you will have a newborn - - would you want to do a limited hours preschool as a "trial run"? Maybe I am too blase but I can't see agonizing for a second over the preschools that are a 3-5 hours a couple of times a week. To put it in perspective, many DCs spend that long watching tv or whining for attention - - especially when the parents' hands are full with a newborn! And you can always take your DD out if it isn't working . . .

I will add to the excellent list of considerations here that for us the approaching winter season (in addition to our child care issues) pushed us toward preschool earlier rather than later. We have a long, bitter winter here and we did not want DS cooped up for months on end in our house - - the daycare/preschool offered much more indoor space for active play.

gatorsmom
03-01-2010, 12:31 AM
I think it depends on the kid. Gator started at 2yo because it was part of his speech therapy program. He was mainstreamed with other children who were not receiving any type of therapies. He absolutely LOVED it, but he's a very, very sociable child. He stayed in preschool until he started K. I credit that program with his incredible sense of self-confidence.

Cha Cha didn't start til he was 3yo. I'm wishing now that he'd started alittle eariler and been able to attend the program that Gator was in. Cha cha could use a little help with his social skills and I thought that program was extremely well-run.

I just signed Sisi and Greenbean up for a program starting in the fall. They will be 2.5yo. It includes one morning of drop-off preschool (2hours long) and another morning in the same week of ECFE which is like preschool but the parents are with the children for most of the time (there is a short period where the parents group-up without the children before rejoining them). It's the same program that Gator attended so I'm hoping it helps with Sisi's shyness.

sariana
03-01-2010, 12:33 AM

IME, most programs do NOT have spring enrollment, at least not officially. The preschool program associated with our district used to start at 3 years, 3 months. DS was only 3 years, 2 months in September (a few years ago), so he was too young. Technically the program had 3 sessions, with ongoing enrollment. But the only way to get in was if there was an opening. I put DS on the waiting list, but there was not an opening until the following fall. By then he was enrolled in the SpEd program, ironically at the same site. It was ironic because the main reason I wanted him in the first preschool was that it is across the street from our house. We put him in a program much farther away (with a different cut-off), but he ended up needing services and ended up at the school across the street after all (our home elementary school, just by chance).

Unfortunately the program kinder is not at that site, so this year he is far away again. I can hardly wait until first grade, when we can walk to school again.

ETA: The above is the reason I went ahead and put DD on the waiting list for the new 2 1/2-year-old class. I'm hoping that even if I choose not to enroll her next fall, she'll stay at the top of the list for the spring, when she is 3.

baymom
03-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Both DD and DS started co-op preschools at 1 1/2-2. But, even though it was called 'preschool' it was more like a weekly class, because I went with them and it was only for 2 1/2 hours one day a week. Then, the following year, we moved to 2 day co-op preschool. It was only 3 hours a day and one day, I was at the school helping. At age 3, DS went to 3 half days a week and DD goes to 2 half days. At age 4, DS went 5 half days and DD will also do 5 half days next year.

DH and I joke that our kids have been going to school for their entire lives, but honestly, I don't really feel like their two early years in co-op preschools really counted since it was so few hours a week and I was there with them. I LOVE having them home and think I look forward to summer vacation more then they do! (I do tend to get over that feeling after the first week, though. :wink2:)

LexyLou
03-01-2010, 01:50 AM
Both of my kids started preschool at 2 but we mostly did it because it was fun for them. I think 3 is still the norm.

maestramommy
03-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Haven't read any responses yet, but no it's not necessary to start at 2.5. I think it's what you think works for your kid. I sent Dora to a 2's program in the second semester, but because of her bday she had already been 3 for a few months by then. I felt that she was ready for extra activity, probably getting bored at home, and could benefit speechwise. She loved it.

Arwyn OTOH, will be turning 3 the end of May, so technically her bday is pretty late. I didn't send her to the 2s class even though I considered it as a help for speech. I'm glad I didn't because she seems so very young still. I think the extra year of just playing at home and getting her weekly speech session has been great for her. She was having some separation issues in the fall and I think going to school might have been just a little too much for her.

Laurel's bday is even earlier, end of June. I will wait and see what her needs are, but at the moment I am not planning on sending her until she is 3. I think 2 years of preschool is usually enough. The schools around here are wonderful. The teachers are very loving, the activities are fun, and even though they are "learning" things it's very slow paced and low key.

Jo..
03-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Adam started at 3 and it was amazing to see him blossom socially. He goes 3 days per week for 2.5 hours, so not a ton.

He went from a very shy boy, to one who will play and talk with other children immediately. He loves school, and filling the days when he is off is hard. At this age, it's more about interacting with other children and fun than learning.

Preschool was such a success that we have decided to start Leah when she is 2. She will have JUST turned two (July 4th), so she'll be really young, but again, she'll only be going for 2.5 hours, three days weekly.

pinkmomagain
03-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Some of the preschools around here have a small 2 yo program just to sort of introduce the kids to the school. Often the programs are just 1 or 2x a week for no more than 2 hrs. Sometimes the moms start off in the class and then separate. My dd did such a program at 2.

newg
03-01-2010, 03:04 PM
thanks for all of the feedback!!!

I think I will start to ask my other mom friends in the neighborhood what preschools they have used and start to do a little research..............
Like many of you said.....we can always put her name down and not send her....or start it and take her out if it's not working...............
She does enjoy being around other kids and seems to be more naturally social than I ever was....and I dont want to hinder that in anyway by keeping her home.....(I guess I'll just have to get over my little baby growing up!!)

thanks again for all the feedback!!!

sewarsh
03-01-2010, 03:11 PM
My DD started 3-day 2's when she was 2 yrs and 2 months. it was the best thing for us at the time b/c we had #2 and MIL watches kids 3x a week adn i didn't want her to have to watch both all day (tiring for her, plus i was concerned DD would just sit around and do nothing).

i thought that was a little early and in fact lots of schools don't even have a 2's program (let alone 3-day 2s).

anyways, it was the best decision. DD LOVES school and really bloosomed. i'm sending DS at 2 years and 1 week even though i'll be SAHM by then. since DD had such a great experience, i'm hoping same for DS.

but all in all, 2 is young, so don't fret. 3 i think is the norm.

mom2ethan
03-01-2010, 03:36 PM
The preschool we started at had a 2 year old class. DS began when he was 2.75 and, after a little shaky start, had a positive experience at the school. I started DD in the same program when she was just 2. Looking back now, I realize that she was not ready and I never should have started her that young. I kept listening to the staff there and trying to make it work. I should have listened to my gut and I still feel bad about it. If anything, the 3/4 of a year we spent there reinforced her separation issues. We pulled her out and waited and then started her in January of the next school year at a different school (so she was 3.5). It took a while to get used to school again, but she began to really enjoy it and this year she is thriving! She'll go to kindergarten in the fall and I'm convinced she would have been fine with one *good* year of preschool.

Go with your own instinct. You know your child best. :) Good luck.

AnnieW625
03-01-2010, 03:52 PM
DD started at 3 yrs. and 5 mos. old. It was almost our only option unless we wanted to move DD from her daycare, which we didn't. We had an in at the school because this is where the DCP has been sending her clients for years. No waiting list was awesome and we really liked the school so we were happy with that lone option:cheerleader1: I didn't see the need to send her before she was 3 anyway.