PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in Puerto Rico

SeffMarc
02-28-2010, 11:48 PM
My husband, 16 month old son, and I are planning to spend a week in Puerto Rico soon. We're looking to have very easy access to a pretty beach (we'd love to be in accommodations on the beach itself) that has calm surf so our son can experience the ocean. At the same time, we'd prefer not to be in a resort. We'd like to eat in local restaurants and feel relaxed about having our toddler with us. Ideally, we'd love to have a condo or a suite so our son can sleep in a separate room. We'll be back to PR again, so this time we'd like just to visit Old San Juan and El Yunque and spend some restful time on a lovely beach. We thought Luquillo looked like a good home base, but the only place to stay that I've been able to find is Playa Azul, a huge apartment complex that I hear is on a beach with active surf. Is that really the best place for us to stay? Are there other hotels/inns/condos on the calmer beaches? Might we be better off staying someplace like Ocean Park or elsewhere? Should we admit defeat and stay in a resort? Which one? Any advice you have to offer would be much appreciated!

arivecchi
03-01-2010, 01:01 PM
If you stay in a resort, look at Conquistador or Rio Mar. Conquistador has a private beach in a nearby island. The water is as calm and pretty as can be. You do have to board a shuttle to reach the island. If you want a condo near a "calm" beach, I would look at condos/villas near Rio Mar. Tons of great restaurants in San Juan, Rio Mar and Fajardo. The NE coast is my favorite part of the island. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

diegosmom
03-01-2010, 07:51 PM
We are from PR and go back often to visit family and friends. We always rent a condo in Rio Mar. There are several developments that are right on the beach. We like Continental the best. In my opinion it's the best way to go b/c you will have a kitchen, most have a washer and dryer, the beach is right there, they have a pool, the people are nice, easy to get to, close enough to bigger cities (Luquillo, Fajardo, and San Juan) but quite and not in the the middle of a bunch of stuff.

isadij
03-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I agree with PPs about the Rio Mar area. We stayed at the Rio Mar resort hotel ( Wyndham?) but my mom and sister stayed in the resort too but in a condo/villa a little separated from the hotel, with at least two bedrooms/kitchenette, ..., so that could be something you'd like. I didn't like their beach as much for my kids but I am from the west coast (Puerto Rico) and there is a beach in a small town that has a super calm area and is perfect for little kids so I am spoiled :-)

diegosmom
03-02-2010, 10:55 PM
The west coast does have some great beaches, but depending on where your husband is going to be working, it could be quite a drive. The Rincon/Aguadilla area will take anywhere from 2 to 3 hours depending on traffic.